Possible Trade Ideas Take IV...

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2012, 02:45 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Possible Trade Ideas Take IV...

Okay, we filled up the last one pretty fast.

Let's go at it again! GO GO GO!

Old
01-23-2012, 02:47 PM
forthewild

i wonder what nsh would want for blum. he seems to be on the outside given ellis and josi.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:48 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Carter sucks in Columbus because he was brought to be a 1st line center, which he is not, and to play with Nash, who everybody knew would not mesh well with another shooter like Carter.

Carter is streaky and he'll probably a 70 point guy. But he's definitely a 30 goal guy. And he's definitely a top-6 guy. And he's definitely better than everybody currently in the Wild top-6 not named Koivu.
Carter = Koivu?

Be interesting. Carter can score more than Koivu...we could flip flop them around as well.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Carter = Koivu?

Be interesting. Carter can score more than Koivu...we could flip flop them around as well.
Don't know if I'd want Carter on the same team as Setoguchi. They both seem like party animals.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:53 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Carter = Koivu?

koivu is better all around player, but carter and koivu would work well in theory, as carter is a shooter and koivu defers

Old
01-23-2012, 02:54 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Don't know if I'd want Carter on the same team as Setoguchi. They both seem like party animals.
We got the Yeo!

Old
01-23-2012, 02:54 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
in fairness he has picked up his play since

Old
01-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Teddy10Beers

If I were a GM, I'd want Carter's contract to include the following: contract becomes null and void if you dip your pen in company ink.

Old
01-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Back to that point you had about not getting shots, it comes down to lacking skilled players.

Actually, we've had more shots on goal while losing compared to winning, yet we're losing.

My opinion is and has been the team plain lacks skill. Our "skill" guys are not skilled at all.

Koivu is a high end grinder who CAN make plays with his body and work ethic and hustle and decent set of hands...but he's not exactly an elite playmaker who's looking off the defender while seeing where his winger is going and executing a gorgeous saucer pass on to the tape. Demitra was that kind of guy. Koivu is not.

Same thing with Setoguchi...he's a "sniper" like Clutterbuck is a "sniper"...he's got a good shot, good speed, and that's it. He's not an elite shooter who gets multiple breakaways and scoring chances per game while also possessing the ability to make plays with the puck at or near full speed. Gaborik was that kind of guy. Seto is not.

Bouchard and Lats, like I said before, were our two skill guys, and without them in the lineup, it's dump and chase, grind, cycle, and try to bang in pucks. The more they try to shoot the puck, the worse it looks. Because they routinely shoot from terrible angles far from the goalie. They aren't making the defenders jobs difficult at all. I've been saying for three years they need puck movement deep in the offensive zone in order to pull defenders out of position and open up passing lanes that can actually create scoring chances. Havlat was a master at that and he had a phenomenal 1.5 seasons. Bouchard can do that. Nobody else can.

Old
01-23-2012, 03:11 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Actually, we've had more shots on goal while losing compared to winning, yet we're losing.
That's true.

Quote:
My opinion is and has been the team plain lacks skill. Our "skill" guys are not skilled at all.
That as well. Hopefully that will be reversed soon.

Quote:
Koivu is a high end grinder who CAN make plays with his body and work ethic and hustle and decent set of hands...but he's not exactly an elite playmaker who's looking off the defender while seeing where his winger is going and executing a gorgeous saucer pass on to the tape. Demitra was that kind of guy. Koivu is not.
And why I would consider moving Koivu. Captain material is great and leadership is well but right now we need skill, not leadership.

Old
01-23-2012, 03:16 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Back to that point you had about not getting shots, it comes down to lacking skilled players.

Same thing with Setoguchi...he's a "sniper" like Clutterbuck is a "sniper"...he's got a good shot, good speed, and that's it. He's not an elite shooter who gets multiple breakaways and scoring chances per game while also possessing the ability to make plays with the puck at or near full speed. Gaborik was that kind of guy. Seto is not.

Bouchard and Lats, like I said before, were our two skill guys, and without them in the lineup, it's dump and chase, grind, cycle, and try to bang in pucks. The more they try to shoot the puck, the worse it looks. Because they routinely shoot from terrible angles far from the goalie. They aren't making the defenders jobs difficult at all. I've been saying for three years they need puck movement deep in the offensive zone in order to pull defenders out of position and open up passing lanes that can actually create scoring chances. Havlat was a master at that and he had a phenomenal 1.5 seasons. Bouchard can do that. Nobody else can.
So you are staying we should trade for Carter and sign Parise?

Old
01-23-2012, 03:18 PM
forthewild

@koivu = high end grinder

sorry no mega facepalm.

koivu is a very skilled playmaker no ****ing high end grinder can turn mittens into a 30g* guy

*he missed about 15 open nets

Old
01-23-2012, 03:46 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

While I think Carter sounds like he'd look fantastic centering Granlund (and someone with size on the other wing?) I don't think I'd be willing to move the pieces Columbus would be seeking. Also, his contract terrifies me.

That said, delving into it, if we assume that Columbus would take a little less than what they paid for him, the cost might be a healthy Lats + 2012 1st (assuming 10th-16th overall) or perhaps Seto + 1st + ?? a third maybe? Haula? I think I might be able to live with that sort of deal, but the pain to our blue line would be palpable if we can't find at least two quality UFAs.

Heatley-Koivu-Bouchard
Lats/Seto-Carter-Granlund

That would be a respectable top 6 at the very least. Defensively responsible, but two lines that could legitimately score on every shift. However, moving our first would reduce the quality of our future blue line. If Brodin isn't ready for next season and we only pick up a single 2nd pairing caliber defenseman, we'll still ache on the back end with absolutely no relief in sight. The cap implications would be a bit imposing assuming the cap stays about level after next year's increase. Although, with Heatley, Zid, Schultz, and Backstrom coming off over the next two years, we'll have quite a bit to play with.

Old
01-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Kari Takko

No way. I don't want that contract anywhere near our cap.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:15 PM
nickschultzfan

If I was trading for Carter, I would offer:

Harding, Bouchard, and Coyle/Phillips/Zucker/Larsson for Carter.

That would be comparable to what they gave away.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
If the Wild were to talk trade with Columbus they'd better be talking Nash not Carter. Nash and Latandresse are very similar players. Only be fitting that Nash would be the new "Big Bear".

Old
01-23-2012, 04:46 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
If the Wild were to talk trade with Columbus they'd better be talking Nash not Carter. Nash and Latandresse are very similar players. Only be fitting that Nash would be the new "Big Bear".

**** that, him and his 8+ mil cap hit can suck it

Old
01-23-2012, 05:28 PM
nickschultzfan

I'd take Nash in a heartbeat if he was available. Yeah, that cap hit is huge. But Nash and Koivu would be a ridiculous line. And Heatley and Granlund would be a decent 2nd line.

Old
01-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
I'd take Nash in a heartbeat if he was available. Yeah, that cap hit is huge. But Nash and Koivu would be a ridiculous line. And Heatley and Granlund would be a decent 2nd line.
You think Granlund would still be on the team if we traded for Nash? Also, if we're going to trade for someone with that cap hit (and what it would take to get them), why not just go all out? We'd already be giving up a **** ton for Nash, so why not add a little bit extra and grab someone better?

Old
01-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
If I was trading for Carter, I would offer:

Harding, Bouchard, and Coyle/Phillips/Zucker/Larsson for Carter.

That would be comparable to what they gave away.
Yuck - glad you aren't the GM.

Old
01-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
If I were Fletch, I'd be very careful with the crown jewels until we've seen what they can do at the NHL level.

Why?

Nick Leddy. He is miles better than most folks thought he'd be. I'd hate to see him trade Zucker or Phillips thinking they were less valuable than Coyle or Larsson, and have those guys be the real studs and the Wild get stuck with the duds.

Old
01-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Nick Leddy. He is miles better than most folks thought he'd be. I'd hate to see him trade Zucker or Phillips thinking they were less valuable than Coyle or Larsson, and have those guys be the real studs and the Wild get stuck with the duds.
I thought this too. I would tend to be a little more gun-shy after that. I could easily see whatever player he trades away, no matter who, becoming a great player.

Old
01-23-2012, 06:38 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Why shouldn't they be?

If this teams want to move forward then we shouldn't be limiting ourselves. Clutterbuck and Koivu could bring back good pieces to add with what we have.

I agree with Jarick's post that strip away Koivu's captaincy and what is he? A high level grinder. I mean really? When was the last time he hit 70 points? Two years ago? He's battled injuries and he has never hit 25 goals a season. Hell Bouchard got close to 70 himself but we don't consider him a first line winger.

I think a good comparison to Koivu is slightly better version of Jordan Staal.
Weve been over this. Koivu is much more valuable to the team than just his stats and production indicate. He is the heart and soul of the team. Hell he was in the booth last night, sitting next to the two press box coaches consulting and helping out, while injured.

Old
01-23-2012, 06:46 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Koivu is much more valuable to the team than just his stats and production indicate. He is the heart and soul of the team. Hell he was in the booth last night, sitting next to the two press box coaches consulting and helping out, while injured.
And we've been over this before; Bruno was also a huge part of this team and organization but we didn't bring him back (twice now). Kurtis Foster was one of our babies and we let him go. Darby Hendrickson, Antti Laaksonen, John Madden, Brian Rolston, Derek Boogaard were all fan favorites and huge parts of this organization and team (hell Madden even said he was probably going to sign back to Minnesota or retire), and we moved them all. Dwayne Roloson and Manny Fernandez.

Brent Burns, Josh Harding, Stephane Veilleux...

So he's a good coach. He's just Wes Walz without the speed and a bit better hands. He's on pace for 57 points in 72 games this year.

And he's got better teammates.

Old
01-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Mancini79

Send a message via MSN to Mancini79 Send a message via Yahoo to Mancini79
Think a deal could be made with Philly?

Brodz
Zidlicky
Johan Gustafsson (once he's signed to ELC)

For:

Voracek
Lilja

Closed Thread