HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

sellers or buyers at deadline

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2012, 02:46 PM
  #1
baton elevated
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 170
vCash: 500
sellers or buyers at deadline

After watching us lose to the Sens and Habs this past week, I am more convinced than ever that we are not close to being where we need to be. I feel those were 2 must win games against two teams that were not only beatable but needed to be beat, to vatch and bury respectably. The table was set for both games, they both played the night before and they both had to travel to play a well rested leaf team. That should speak volumes of our compete level, and our lack of killer instinct that this team has never had since the Pat Burns days.
Having said all that, I would be a seller at the deadline. Players like Mac, Komi, Aulie,Army,and even Liles, Connelly,and Schenn should be in play. By all means don't give them away,but if teams are willing to give a substainal return, so be it.
This will accomplish two things, it will allow us the cap room to persue FA (Parise, Suter etc) and stock the system with draft picks and young prospects. The out going players' roles can easily be filled with able bodies chomping at the bit for their chance (Holzer, Frattin, Colborne, Mikus, Mueller, etc). I'm sure Burke can't be happy with this wasted oppurtunity this past week. That was a critical point in the season to make a statment (**** or get off the pot).

baton elevated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:47 PM
  #2
saint2e
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
I think there's still some cruft that we can get rid of and shore up our youth system.

If it's close, I say we go the seller route for one more year and see how 2012-2013 goes.

saint2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:48 PM
  #3
Igy
Registered User
 
Igy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
Having Burke as a GM, no way we sell. He's going to push for the playoffs no matter what.

Igy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:50 PM
  #4
baton elevated
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 170
vCash: 500
Even though he said" they don't just want to crawl into the PO's they want to compete".

baton elevated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:54 PM
  #5
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by baton elevated View Post
Even though he said" they don't just want to crawl into the PO's they want to compete".
Burke said that he didn't want to make trades for veterans just to get knocked out in the first round.


Last edited by SixthSens: 01-23-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: removed not-needed comment
mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:56 PM
  #6
TootooTrain
-
 
TootooTrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,897
vCash: 500
I think he'll be doing a little bit of both. We need to shed some salary if we want to bring in some talent.

TootooTrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:01 PM
  #7
s1r0ky
Mr. Optimistic
 
s1r0ky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 226
vCash: 500
Were you listening to Brian Hayes today at noon too?

Getting quotes wrong and saying the team should sell and tank because we are 3 pts out with 35 games left?

We lose to Ottawa and Montreal so panic?

Anyone can beat anyone on any night. How about a little optimism for once people.

s1r0ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:02 PM
  #8
hdtrax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
I think he'll be doing a little bit of both. We need to shed some salary if we want to bring in some talent.
This.

He'll work his magic soon enough and HF will explode.

hdtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:02 PM
  #9
Darcy Tucker
Registered User
 
Darcy Tucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Richmond Hill, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,608
vCash: 500
we are a young and competitive team. why we would we sell? we are building.

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:03 PM
  #10
SchennerandNazzie
Registered User
 
SchennerandNazzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 370
vCash: 500
If we lose both games to Islanders..I think Burke is going to make more then one drastic move

SchennerandNazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:04 PM
  #11
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Burke said that he didn't want to make trades for veterans just to get knocked out in the first round. A little knowledge can save us from dumb threads.
You know JFJ made trades to help keep the leafs out of the playoffs.
Burke is really not much better for standings wise then JFJ but we have prospects which might/maybe/hopefully help the team in future.

At the end - no playoffs.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:05 PM
  #12
416Leafer
Registered User
 
416Leafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,352
vCash: 500
I would be sellers in so far as targeting some of the younger guys on the contending or buying teams, and trying to trade them an older player off of our roster who is currently better, but in the long run likely won't be. Or even trading from a position of strength to a position of weakness, giving up a good young guy to get a good young guy.

Guys like Schneider or Bernier for goaltending.
Hodgson, Couturier, JVR, Taresenko, etc for forwards
I can't think of too many potentially expendable high end defense prospects...

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:08 PM
  #13
Darcy Tucker
Registered User
 
Darcy Tucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Richmond Hill, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
I can't think of too many potentially expendable high end defense prospects...
because theyre all on the Leafs.

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:09 PM
  #14
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
You know JFJ made trades to help keep the leafs out of the playoffs.
Burke is really not much better for standings wise then JFJ but we have prospects which might/maybe/hopefully help the team in future.

At the end - no playoffs.
Only question out of that gobbledygook is what trades did Ferguson make to keep the team out of the playoffs? He didn't make many trades in the first place.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:16 PM
  #15
Drew311
Shanahanigans
 
Drew311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,075
vCash: 500
So you're proposing we go into next year with this line up:

Lupul Bozak Kessel
Kadri Grabovski Kulemin
Lombardi Colborne Frattin
Mueller Steckel Brown

Gunnarsson Phaneuf
Holzer Gardiner
Mikus Franson

Considering Burke doesn't sign FA's to longer than 5 year contracts, do you really think we have a good chance to sign Parise or Suter? Do you think they would want to play in a line up that looks like that?

But at least we'll have a bunch of draft picks.

Drew311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:17 PM
  #16
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,403
vCash: 500
The big questions will come from what to do with Grabovski and Liles if they remain unsigned heading into the deadline.

Of course, team position may dictate what happens, but both are young enough and valuable enough to this team that they 'should' be re-signed. Lile's puck moving ability is more obvious to me then ever now that he's out of hte lineup, and if this team plans to be a quick strike offense they will need him. Same can be said for Grabovski. But both heading to free agency, and both likely falling into the 'higher end UFA's' to be had, will make an interesting situation for Burke.

Cap space will be an issue though as they need to re-sign (if they decide to that is) Kulemin, Franson, Aulie, Crabb, and Gustavsson.

So while there's the idea of being 'buyer/seller', it's not as simple as it may have been in years past (in terms of the direction).

__________________
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/JE_Iannicello
John-Eric Iannicello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:17 PM
  #17
Darcy Tucker
Registered User
 
Darcy Tucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Richmond Hill, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
So you're proposing we go into next year with this line up:

Lupul Bozak Kessel
Kadri Grabovski Kulemin
Lombardi Colborne Frattin
Mueller Steckel Brown

Gunnarsson Phaneuf
Holzer Gardiner
Mikus Franson

Considering Burke doesn't sign FA's to longer than 5 year contracts, do you really think we have a good chance to sign Parise or Suter? Do you think they would want to play in a line up that looks like that?

But at least we'll have a bunch of draft picks.


wait what.

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:18 PM
  #18
TheTotalPackage
Registered User
 
TheTotalPackage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
I think he'll be doing a little bit of both. We need to shed some salary if we want to bring in some talent.
Agreed.

I can see him trying to move a couple guys for picks while trying to obtain another core piece.

TheTotalPackage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:21 PM
  #19
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by baton elevated View Post
After watching us lose to the Sens and Habs this past week, I am more convinced than ever that we are not close to being where we need to be. I feel those were 2 must win games against two teams that were not only beatable but needed to be beat, to vatch and bury respectably. The table was set for both games, they both played the night before and they both had to travel to play a well rested leaf team. That should speak volumes of our compete level, and our lack of killer instinct that this team has never had since the Pat Burns days.
Having said all that, I would be a seller at the deadline. Players like Mac, Komi, Aulie,Army,and even Liles, Connelly,and Schenn should be in play. By all means don't give them away,but if teams are willing to give a substainal return, so be it.
This will accomplish two things, it will allow us the cap room to persue FA (Parise, Suter etc) and stock the system with draft picks and young prospects. The out going players' roles can easily be filled with able bodies chomping at the bit for their chance (Holzer, Frattin, Colborne, Mikus, Mueller, etc). I'm sure Burke can't be happy with this wasted oppurtunity this past week. That was a critical point in the season to make a statment (**** or get off the pot).
Should be sellers.

(1) They have a surplus of players. Both forwards and defense.

(2) Burke is fooling himself thinking this team is ready to compete for a cup. Then again -- every year -- he has over-estimated what this team is capable of.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:22 PM
  #20
Darcy Tucker
Registered User
 
Darcy Tucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Richmond Hill, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Should be sellers.

(1) They have a surplus of players. Both forwards and defense.

(2) Burke is fooling himself thinking this team is ready to compete for a cup. Then again -- every year -- he has over-estimated what this team is capable of.
sellers implies we are trading core pieces for prospects and picks.

cant see that happening.

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:25 PM
  #21
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
sellers implies we are trading core pieces for prospects and picks.

cant see that happening.
It may be the only way he'll be able to shed salary.

Obviously I don't expect the likes of Kessel or Lupul to be dealt, but anyone else I wouldn't be surprised to see move.

Some may not move just because of salary/production, but if Burke wants to be an active shopper come UFA time he'll either have to trade some salary or not re-sign/trade the pending UFAs.

John-Eric Iannicello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:26 PM
  #22
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Why does Burke need to shed salary again? I forget.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:30 PM
  #23
Pillsbury Phil
Registered User
 
Pillsbury Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ho Chi Minh City
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Burke needs to attempt to trade away a few players who are currently occupying roster spots but not playing to their potential or salary. MacArthur, Komisarek and Lombardi come to mind. If he is unable to add a big name via trade leading up to the deadline, the spots vacated by these three can be given to young players who are keen on making a name for themselves at the NHL level. Holzer, Mueller and Colbourne come to mind.

Pillsbury Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:33 PM
  #24
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by baton elevated View Post
After watching us lose to the Sens and Habs this past week, I am more convinced than ever that we are not close to being where we need to be. I feel those were 2 must win games against two teams that were not only beatable but needed to be beat, to vatch and bury respectably. The table was set for both games, they both played the night before and they both had to travel to play a well rested leaf team. That should speak volumes of our compete level, and our lack of killer instinct that this team has never had since the Pat Burns days.
Having said all that, I would be a seller at the deadline. Players like Mac, Komi, Aulie,Army,and even Liles, Connelly,and Schenn should be in play. By all means don't give them away,but if teams are willing to give a substainal return, so be it.
This will accomplish two things, it will allow us the cap room to persue FA (Parise, Suter etc) and stock the system with draft picks and young prospects. The out going players' roles can easily be filled with able bodies chomping at the bit for their chance (Holzer, Frattin, Colborne, Mikus, Mueller, etc). I'm sure Burke can't be happy with this wasted oppurtunity this past week. That was a critical point in the season to make a statment (**** or get off the pot).
Komi have negative value at this point and Conolly likely has little to no value with his contract. Mac may intrigue some teams though. After that your looking at players like Aulie that could bring in some help.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:33 PM
  #25
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by departures89 View Post
Burke needs to attempt to trade away a few players who are currently occupying roster spots but not playing to their potential or salary. MacArthur, Komisarek and Lombardi come to mind. If he is unable to add a big name via trade leading up to the deadline, the spots vacated by these three can be given to young players who are keen on making a name for themselves at the NHL level. Holzer, Mueller and Colbourne come to mind.
That's what the AHL is around for.

Burke isn't shedding bad contracts in season without getting bad contracts in return.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.