HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

sellers or buyers at deadline

Old
01-23-2012, 03:33 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Why does Burke need to shed salary again? I forget.
He doesn't need to. I said if he plans on going UFA shopping, he may be required to deal a player for a prospect/pick to open up spending money to upgrade elsewhere (if possible). Or move two players for one and open up space that way.. or waive someone.

He doesn't have to move anyone. He can re-sign everyone if he wanted too probably. I just don't think he goes through free agency sitting on his hands - regardless of where this team finishes.

01-23-2012, 03:46 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
He doesn't need to. I said if he plans on going UFA shopping, he may be required to deal a player for a prospect/pick to open up spending money to upgrade elsewhere (if possible). Or move two players for one and open up space that way.. or waive someone.

He doesn't have to move anyone. He can re-sign everyone if he wanted too probably. I just don't think he goes through free agency sitting on his hands - regardless of where this team finishes.
If the team is still in the playoff race I think that Burke will place depth over his payroll and picks. Komisarek's real salary goes down after July so he becomes tradeable in the off season.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Leafs current free cap space = $622k (about as much room as a minimum wage NHL player).

So if Burke plans on adding then the only way to do that is salary in = salary out. That eliminates the picks / prospects type transactions for instant help, which isn't a bad thing.

01-23-2012, 03:51 PM
pspot

He could be both like some have suggested

sell players like Mac, Lombardi, Connolly, maybe Grabo, Kuly to get assets to use in a bigger deal to acquire a legit top line talent

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:59 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igy View Post
Having Burke as a GM, no way we sell. He's going to push for the playoffs no matter what.
what reason would he lose prospects, add salary, just to make the playoffs?

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:02 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post

he will have trouble signing his UFAs and RFAs, this summer, nevermind making the team better.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Flowseidon
Compton

We'll do both prob quality for quantity, though not as extreme as one would think. Theres a week break between Tuesday's game and the next, which would be a good time to strike. Hopefully Okposo's physical play over the next two days shows up and is noticed.

Flowseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:08 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
sellers implies we are trading core pieces for prospects and picks.

cant see that happening.
Not core. You don't have to trade core pieces -- look at Ottawa last year. Some would say Fischer was a core piece but in reality he was/is and overpaid third line center.

Sell:

Lombardi
Connolly
MacArthur
Komisarik
Brown
Armstrong

None of the above players figure into the long range plans. That said you don't give away anyone.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:10 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Leafs current free cap space = $622k (about as much room as a minimum wage NHL player).

So if Burke plans on adding then the only way to do that is salary in = salary out. That eliminates the picks / prospects type transactions for instant help, which isn't a bad thing.
not really there will be only like 1/4 of the season remaining, so if we were to acquire someone, we would also have to send someone down likely Crabb or Boyce which would add 700k or Kadri(I dont want him sent down) would be 1.7 mill so when you add that together if Boyce or Crabb get sent down thats like 1.3 mill in space and because you would only be on the hook for about 1/4 of the players salary we could add a 4-5 million dollar player and still be under the cap.

Liles and Grabo are simple cases imo, you sign them prior to the deadline and if you can't agree on a deal then trade them. this team is not winning the cup this year, so doing whats best for the future is what should be done. and if there not willing to sign by the deadline I doubt there willing to sign before july 1st and therefore getting something for them is better then nothing for the future. I would also be looking to move Mac to a team interested he would be the 1 guy I would be looking to move.

as far as what I think Burke will do, I think he might sell 1-2 guys but his main objective is similar to the last couple years and thats selling salary and acquiring young impact players that can make a difference as early as next year. I highly doubt Burke goes out and buys vets for picks/prospects as he's shown in the past to not be interested in doing this, and I hope he doesn't want to do this because thats the path we went down which has got us in the position we've been in over the last 6-7 years.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Not core. You don't have to trade core pieces -- look at Ottawa last year. Some would say Fischer was a core piece but in reality he was/is and overpaid third line center.

Sell:

Lombardi
Connolly
MacArthur
Komisarik
Brown
Armstrong

None of the above players figure into the long range plans. That said you don't give away anyone.
We just signed Macarthur for 3 years and Connolly for 2. Why would we move them when they have contributed and have the talent to be top 6 forwards? Komisarek is worth more to us for a playoff drive and series than getting a 5th rounder for him. We have depth now but a couple of injuries back there would be harsh and they are bound to happen.

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:13 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Why the BS? Can't make a point without it?
It's 100% relevant to the topic. Burke thinks this team will make the playoffs -- every year. Every year they miss. Burke needs to understand this team isn't ready to compete for the cup and needs to make moves based on long term -- NOT -- this year.

The point is plain and simple. Can't make you understand it any better than that.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:16 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
It's 100% relevant to the topic. Burke thinks this team will make the playoffs -- every year. Every year they miss. Burke needs to understand this team isn't ready to compete for the cup and needs to make moves based on long term -- NOT -- this year.

The point is plain and simple. Can't make you understand it any better than that.
Can you at least help me understand how you know what Burke is thinking? Then, can you help me understand how Burke can start a season with Bozak and Crabb on his first line and no no. 1 D and questionable goaltending and think "playoffs all the way"?

Thanks, take your time.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:18 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
We just signed Macarthur for 3 years and Connolly for 2. Why would we move them when they have contributed and have the talent to be top 6 forwards? Komisarek is worth more to us for a playoff drive and series than getting a 5th rounder for him. We have depth now but a couple of injuries back there would be harsh and they are bound to happen.
Simple. This team needs a number one center. Once Burke acquires one -- where does he play? Connolly, Grabovski, Bozak...

Grabo and Bozak work well in the 2nd and 3rd slots and IMO are better options long term and have played better than Connolly.

Plus if you bring in a number one -- what do you need? Cap space. They'll need to move Connolly's 4.75 off the books to make room. You can't move Bozak and his 1.5 and expect to have room for a 6 million dollar front line center.

Same logic applies to Komi. Who else you going to move -- with Liles, Auli and even Holzner waiting for playing time? Liles shouldn't sit when he comes back. Neither should Phaneuf, Schenn, Gardiner, Franson, or Gunnarson. at least not over Komi.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:21 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

Salary in = salary out is salary neutral, not shedding.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Gardiner - 21
Schenn - 22
Aulie - 22
Franson - 24
Gunnarsson - 25
Phaneuf - 26

Kadri - 21
Frattin - 24
Kessel - 24
Kulemin - 25
Bozak - 25
Brown - 26
MacArthur - 26

We have a lot of young roster players who will be around for what could be a very long time.

Also who knows a lot of these guys might become NHL'rs too

Biggs, Broll, Olde, McKegg, Ross, D'amigo, Colborne, Mueller (23), Percy, Blakcer, Mikus (23), Holzer(23)

Who are all 21 or under besides the 3 mentioned.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:23 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Can you at least help me understand how you know what Burke is thinking? Then, can you help me understand how Burke can start a season with Bozak and Crabb on his first line and no no. 1 D and questionable goaltending and think "playoffs all the way"?

Thanks, take your time.
Burke has stated every year -- watch the news -- ask others -- it's plain to see. "I believe in this group", "we've assembled one of the best defenses in the league", "our goaltending is improved", "we were one of the best teams in the second half", "this team finished the season with the 6th best record in the second half and we've built on that", "this isn't a rebuild -- it's short term -- build on the fly -- a hybrid" ....blah blah blah

Either you just want to argue or you're a playing dumb.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:24 PM
birddog*

Quote:

Thanks, take your time.
FYI -- Crabb didn't start on the first line and Bozak was slated for the third line.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
but then you might lose some picks or prospects
picks schmicks. and we have a ton of B prospects that other teams would like to acquire.

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:26 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Burke has stated every year -- watch the news -- ask others -- it's plain to see. "I believe in this group", "we've assembled one of the best defenses in the league", "our goaltending is improved", "we were one of the best teams in the second half", "this team finished the season with the 6th best record in the second half and we've built on that", "this isn't a rebuild -- it's short term -- build on the fly -- a hybrid" ....blah blah blah

Either you just want to argue or you're a playing dumb.
I've never heard Burke promise the playoffs once, letting on that he wants his team to compete is GM speak we hear all of the time.

Supply the evidence or stop lying.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:27 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
FYI -- Crabb didn't start on the first line and Bozak was slated for the third line.
Okay then, who was the first line centreman going to be if not Bozak. Grabovski?

Old
01-23-2012, 04:28 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
He is obviously quite concerned about our cap efficiency.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siroky10 View Post
Were you listening to Brian Hayes today at noon too?

Getting quotes wrong and saying the team should sell and tank because we are 3 pts out with 35 games left?

We lose to Ottawa and Montreal so panic?

Anyone can beat anyone on any night. How about a little optimism for once people.

Exactly.

We are just out with 35 left and everyone freaks out and wants to give up. Yet with Montreals win, Hockey Central at Noon is saying they kept themselves in it. They are 7 points behind the Leafs!!

So how exactly are we done, but they still have hope?

We will be buyers, not question about it. This is Burke we are talking about.

I would say back away from the ledge, but in all honesty, I would rather all the Leaf Fans that want to jump ship after each loss should just take the plunge.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:37 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Didn't say Burke promised. Don't put words in my mouth.

If you don't remember the Kessel trade and Burke's comments that he didn't think the pick would be that high, that he thought it would be middle of the pack then well ... I can't help you...seriously I can't help you.

Facts is facts -- Burke has miscalculating thinking this team is a playoff team -- every year. Why else would you trade your first round pick? Unless you're stupid. So either Burke miscalcualted or he's stupid. I'll let you pick which one.
Burke thought that Toskala wouldn't be as bad, doesn't mean that he thought that the Leafs were a playoff team.

All I'm asking is for a quote from Burke, if you can't find one and are still going on with what you know what he thought then we all know who the idiot is and it's not me nor Burke.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:38 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWsLEAFS View Post
Exactly.

We are just out with 35 left and everyone freaks out and wants to give up. Yet with Montreals win, Hockey Central at Noon is saying they kept themselves in it. They are 7 points behind the Leafs!!

So how exactly are we done, but they still have hope?

We will be buyers, not question about it. This is Burke we are talking about.

I would say back away from the ledge, but in all honesty, I would rather all the Leaf Fans that want to jump ship after each loss should just take the plunge.
burke has said he is not going to add players just to make the playoffs.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

I don't see a way we are sellers at the deadline. Even if we would lose all games leading into the all star break, I think Burke will make a deal.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote