HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vincent Lecavalier to Montreal!

Old
01-23-2012, 07:37 PM
IdealisticSniper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
But true
Every GM in the league would trade Gomez to get Lecavalier. Every. Single. One.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Hulk Hogan*

Obviously if we are to get Vinny; we would need to dump Gomez; whether it be through trade or the more likely waiver wire

Hulk Hogan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:04 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk Hogan View Post
Obviously if we are to get Vinny; we would need to dump Gomez; whether it be through trade or the more likely waiver wire
I think you need to say your prayers and eat your vitamins brotha... because Vinny will NEVER be a Hab.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk Hogan View Post
Stop.

Just S T O P ! ! PLEASE!!!!

Vinny is getting paid far too much for thwe production he is already putting out there. Add that his contract goes until 2020 and you have to realize this is NOT a player we want on our team.

It has also been stated innumerable times that Lecavalier's family does not want him to come to the Habs because of the Montreal media and the scrutiny it would bring them.

It is not a deal Montreal should ever make.

Even if Tampa offered Vinny and this year's 1st to us for Gomez we would, and should, say "NO!!!". Plain and simple.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Not with that contract and cap hit until 2020. You can try. and. add. periods. to. prove. what. you. dream. about. but. it. is. not. something. that ANY. GM. would. ever. DO.

Old
01-23-2012, 08:15 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Stop.

Just S T O P ! ! PLEASE!!!!

Vinny is getting paid far too much for thwe production he is already putting out there. Add that his contract goes until 2020 and you have to realize this is NOT a player we want on our team.

It has also been stated innumerable times that Lecavalier's family does not want him to come to the Habs because of the Montreal media and the scrutiny it would bring them.

It is not a deal Montreal should ever make.

Even if Tampa offered Vinny and this year's 1st to us for Gomez we would, and should, say "NO!!!". Plain and simple.

Old
01-23-2012, 08:25 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Don't think so. Vinny is much better than Gomez but when he's on the decline, for the habs or whoever has that contract, it's Gomez 2.0. It will eventually happen and montreal and their fans are smart enough to know from Gomez that we don't want it again.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:27 PM
FanHabtic

Vinny's contract is just poison. If the Lightning could trade him in 2 years they would make out like bandits haven gotten his best years and dumping his worst.

Old
01-23-2012, 08:32 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Don't think so. Vinny is much better than Gomez but when he's on the decline, for the habs or whoever has that contract, it's Gomez 2.0. It will eventually happen and montreal and their fans are smart enough to know from Gomez that we don't want it again.
If only you knew anything about what you were talking about. Injuries do not equal decline.

Funny how even though hes in his decline, hes putting up his best numbers in years this year. Odd decline huh.

Vinny will be a 50-60 point player through the duration of his contract. Sure maybe not worth the cap hit or dollar amount (well dollar amount is about right in the later years of the contract), but to compare it to Gomez is asinine at best.

Old
01-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
If only you knew anything about what you were talking about. Injuries do not equal decline.

Funny how even though hes in his decline, hes putting up his best numbers in years this year. Odd decline huh.

Vinny will be a 50-60 point player through the duration of his contract. Sure maybe not worth the cap hit or dollar amount (well dollar amount is about right in the later years of the contract), but to compare it to Gomez is asinine at best.
Are you for real? You think it makes sense to pay 10 million per year for the next 9 years for a 50-60 point player?!?!? Wow, Stamkos should be getting at least 15 million then. Good thing you aren't a GM for Tampa, they would only be able to afford 6 players with your way of thinking about player points and values. Gomez' contract is gone in two years and is still less than Vinny's during that span. After that, we have that 7.75 million to spend on a player who hopefully gets more than 50-60 points per season. We already have a few 50-60 point players and they make far less than 10 million per season.

Old
01-23-2012, 08:40 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Are you for real? You think it makes sense to pay 10 million per year for the next 9 years for a 50-60 point player?!?!? Wow, Stamkos should be getting at least 15 million then. Good thing you aren't a GM for Tampa, they would only be able to afford 6 players with your way of thinking about player points and values. Gomez' contract is gone in two years and is still less than Vinny's during that span. After that, we have that 7.75 million to spend on a player who hopefully gets more than 50-60 points per season. We already have a few 50-60 point players and they make far less than 10 million per season.
You must have the worst reading comprehension on this board. And thats pretty darn impressive.

Not even mentioning the fact that you clearly have no idea what the contract is that you are arguing about.

Old
01-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 735
Quote:
Disagree. Explain why a rebuilding team would take Vinny till 2020 over Gomez till next summer, where we bury him.

Doesn't make sensei for us.

One player is way more overpaid than the other, who is also overpaid. The guy who is way overpaid - his contract is almost done. The other guy...

Frank Drebin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:46 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Disagree. Explain why a rebuilding team would take Vinny till 2020 over Gomez till next summer, where we bury him.

Doesn't make sensei for us.

One player is way more overpaid than the other, who is also overpaid. The guy who is way overpaid - his contract is almost done. The other guy...
He speaks french. Isnt that all that matters there?

Old
01-23-2012, 08:47 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:

Vinny will be 41 when his contract is up. You really think he will maintain a 50-60 point average in the last 4 or 5 years of his contract (ie. playing at 37 to 41 years of age)? He's barely making that output as is.

After this season Gomez has 2 years remaining (at 32 years of age). I don't expect Gomez to hit more than 50 points in these remaining years which is terrible given his salary.

Vinny's contract is poison.

Old
01-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 735
Quote:
He speaks french. Isnt that all that matters there?
Nice response...stumped?

Frank Drebin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:49 PM
First Ballot

Quote:
Not with that contract and cap hit until 2020. You can try. and. add. periods. to. prove. what. you. dream. about. but. it. is. not. something. that ANY. GM. would. ever. DO.
Yeah... I know I dream about getting the privilege of having Gomez on my team!

First Ballot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:50 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Nice response...stumped?
Nope not at all. But I dont really care enough to convince Habs fans that Lecavalier is more than a horrible contract.

I, nor just about any other Lightning fan, wants to trade Lecavalier, and once again a trade thread was posted for him by a non-Lightning fan.

Its fine, the Lightning will keep him.

Old
01-23-2012, 08:51 PM
hockeyfan747

Quote:
Where are you getting 10 million per year from? Vinny has a cap hit of 7.7, a far cry away from 10 million. Vinny is overpaid by 2 million at most. Gomez for Vinny would be the biggest fleecing in the history of the NHL. However this whole thread isn't needed because there is no way that Tampa trades Vinny.

hockeyfan747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:55 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

So I don't know what I'm talking about? Maybe you have an issue with reading correctly, who knows. I didn't say Lecavalier IS on the decline. I said WHEN he is on the decline.

Either way, so Vinny will be a 50 point to 60 point guy for the duration of his contract. You realize you're suggesting that he's going to be a top 20 career point total guy. I mean, just throwing out how absurd your comment is. That aside, no **** that's better than Gomez but why is this an attractive contract again? Gomez's contract was bad when he was making 50-60 points too. This isn't bias. Gomez's contract sucked with 50-60 points and Lecavalier at 50-60 points will too. Lecavalier is a good player, don't get me wrong, but why would a team want that contract? Right now, easy to deal with, but if Vinny is sub 70 points at 31, imagine 36 and over. He'll be a 3rd line guy. No thanks.

Old
01-23-2012, 08:57 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
So I don't know what I'm talking about? Maybe you have an issue with reading correctly, who knows. I didn't say Lecavalier IS on the decline. I said WHEN he is on the decline.

Either way, so Vinny will be a 50 point to 60 point guy for the duration of his contract. You realize you're suggesting that he's going to be a top 20 career point total guy. I mean, just throwing out how absurd your comment is. That aside, no **** that's better than Gomez but why is this an attractive contract again? Gomez's contract was bad when he was making 50-60 points too. This isn't bias. Gomez's contract sucked with 50-60 points and Lecavalier at 50-60 points will too. Lecavalier is a good player, don't get me wrong, but why would a team want that contract? Right now, easy to deal with, but if Vinny is sub 70 points at 31, imagine 36 and over. He'll be a 3rd line guy. No thanks.

Gomez's contract requires a pt/game output to be justifiable IMO.

Old
01-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Pepin le bref

Quote:
Nope not at all. But I dont really care enough to convince Habs fans that Lecavalier is more than a horrible contract.

I, nor just about any other Lightning fan, wants to trade Lecavalier, and once again a trade thread was posted for him by a non-Lightning fan.

Its fine, the Lightning will keep him.
You cared enough to post 6+ times in this thread.

Also, Lecavalier's contract is an absolute albatross and will continue to be for the next decade. He's Tampa's problem. As bad as Gomez's contract is, it's up in 2 years...and quite possibly this off-season.

Pepin le bref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
You must have the worst reading comprehension on this board. And thats pretty darn impressive.

Not even mentioning the fact that you clearly have no idea what the contract is that you are arguing about.
Here, let's try without hyperbole, which appears to go over your head.

Vinny has a cap hit of 7.7 million until 2019-2020 and will earn 10 million in actual cash until the 2015-2016 season. He is on pace to get 65 points in what is turning into a good year. He is already 31 years of age. This is not the same Vinny who could produce 90-100 points. It is not the Vinny who can get 70-80 points. This is a Vinny who is going to get 55-70 points for 7.7 million dollars in cap space and 10 million in cash for 5 more years, until he is 36!! Those numbers do not make sense in a cap world. Gomez is not a bad player for 3-4 million. He stinks at 7+ million because of the cap. Vinny is not going to suddenly start putting up 100 point seasons when he is 34+. He probably won't get over 60 points when he is 34+. So, he might put up decent numbers (60-75) for 3 more years, at most, IF he doesn't get injured. How is that worth a 7.7 million dollar cap hit? Yes, Gomez sucks at his hit, but it is finished in 2 years. Vinny isn't an UFA until 2020! Do you understand how a cap world works? Are you capable of reading comprehension? Vinny is the better player than Gomez, but is not worth accepting for Gomez due to the length and cost of his contract.

I hope you can understand more clearly now that it is bolded and explained for you.

Old
01-23-2012, 09:01 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Gomez's contract requires a pt/game output to be justifiable IMO.
100 agree. AT least 70 pts per season anyway. Something Vinny CAN do a few times over that contract but at the end, gomez 2.0 but for more and longer. Not worth the trouble.

Old
01-23-2012, 09:05 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
100 agree. AT least 70 pts per season anyway. Something Vinny CAN do a few times over that contract but at the end, gomez 2.0 but for more and longer. Not worth the trouble.
It will be interesting to see how Vinny fares in the future but with 9 years remaining on that contract and signs of regression i wouldn't touch it even with Gomez's contract via trade. Too risky IMO. With Gomez we can simply bury him in the AHL for his remaining 2 years ( a cost of 10 million for one of the richest teams in the league).

Old
01-23-2012, 09:08 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
It will be interesting to see how Vinny fares in the future but with 9 years remaining on that contract and signs of regression i wouldn't touch it even with Gomez's contract via trade. Too risky IMO. With Gomez we can simply bury him in the AHL for his remaining 2 years ( a cost of 10 million for one of the richest teams in the league).
If it was a 5 year deal for Vinny I'd do it, but with the term left almost double...I find it tough to touch that.