HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Around the League XXXVIII

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2012, 06:00 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
PR Nightmare.
I really doubt it but who knows. It's made a few waves in the hockey community but let's face it, it's not like this is Peyton Manning snubbing the President. Hockey is a very distant 4th when it comes to the major sports leagues in the USA and even further down the list if you include college sports. I'm willing to bet most people in the USA don't even know who Tim Thomas is or care what his political views are.

We'll see though.

Man, the Bruins sure have been a lightening rod for controversy this year.

Old
01-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 500

This Tim Thomas is probably more well known than the Bruin's Tim Thomas.

Old
01-23-2012, 06:05 PM
thepuckmonster
professional winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
I really doubt it but who knows. It's made a few waves in the hockey community but let's face it, it's not like this is Peyton Manning snubbing the President. Hockey is a very distant 4th when it comes to the major sports leagues in the USA and even further down the list if you include college sports. I'm willing to bet most people in the USA don't even know who Tim Thomas is or care what his political views are.

We'll see though.

Man, the Bruins sure have been a lightening rod for controversy this year.
I only say PR nightmare based on his wording of the message. While I respect his rights to do as he pleases, some of the comments could be conceived as inflammatory. I really think he would have been better off saying he declined the offer to appear due to personal reasons and not elaborating. He isn't obligated to explain his personal beliefs to the media, and I don't think politics have a spot in hockey to begin with.

Old
01-23-2012, 06:07 PM
jimmythescot

Quote:

We'll see though.

Man, the Bruins sure have been a lightning rod for controversy this year.
You're just jealous because they won the cup! And your team is filled with fairy boys!

(Am I doing it right?)

Old
01-23-2012, 06:09 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythescot View Post
You're just jealous because they won the cup! And your team is filled with fairy boys!

(Am I doing it right?)
Forget to mention that we are the most hated fanbase in the league.

But otherwise, excellent.

Old
01-23-2012, 06:12 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
I like the fact that the Bruins finally create an embrace the hate thread

Old
01-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
I only say PR nightmare based on his wording of the message. While I respect his rights to do as he pleases, some of the comments could be conceived as inflammatory. I really think he would have been better off saying he declined the offer to appear due to personal reasons and not elaborating. He isn't obligated to explain his personal beliefs to the media, and I don't think politics have a spot in hockey to begin with.
I don't know what TT's exact politics are but I respect him for taking a stand on what he believes in, and would like more athletes to do it. I'm glad he had the balls to explain himself and not hide behind saying he didn't go for "personal reasons". Saying that leaves the door open for so much idle speculation. This doesn't necessarily have to be some diss at Obama or whomever but at the workings of government as a whole. And I can get behind that completely.

Old
01-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Murzyn View Post
Ooh, I like that. Timmy Teabag Thomas.
And his teammate Brad D-Bag Marchand?

Old
01-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Flik
Canucks fan for life

LOL I just saw the article about Thomas' decision, figured that HF boards blew up and glad to see it did not disappoint. What a clown.

Old
01-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Flik
Canucks fan for life

Quote:
Link to Thomas' statement:

http://www.facebook.com/TimThomasOff...13644295344651

Politics aside, (there is a thread on this in the politics section for those who want to discuss the politics of this decision) this whole thing was weird. Thomas could have made that statement and still gone to the event out of respect for his teammates.

No one will care in a few days anyway, but it was an odd decision by Thomas.
I don't think it is weird, and is actually a fair indication of the political atmosphere down here in the states. The current president is being disrespected in every way possible, just to undermine his position.

As a total hippie from BC it blows my mind to see how "politics" are in the US. Esp in the deep south.

It is very different from what I am used to.

I won't say anymore though.

Old
01-23-2012, 06:40 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

TT is one of the guys I like from the Bruins, but that was a **** move by him. It's an immense honor to have you and your teammates be acknowledged by the leader of the world's most powerful country and it's also a boon for the NHL itself. It isn't politics - heck, Obama is no Ghaddafi or even Berlusconi.

I'm no fan of Harper or the federal conservatives, but if I ever got a chance to visit him with my buddies, co-workers or teammates I'd be stoked.

Old
01-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Horse
Go Canucks!

I don't like his snub because he turned a team thing into a "me" thing.

I also think regardless of political affiliation the president of United States is still one of the well known people on the planet, and deserves some respect, being able to meet him is not something to be passed up. Years ago when George W came to Halifax when I was living there, I smiled and waved when his limo drove by. I didn't agree with some of the things he did, and unlike Thomas, I'm not even American, but he was still the leader of probably the most powerful country in the world.

Old
01-23-2012, 07:15 PM
vancityluongo

Hahah, oh Boston.

Quote:
link to thomas' statement:

http://www.facebook.com/timthomasoff...13644295344651

politics aside, (there is a thread on this in the politics section for those who want to discuss the politics of this decision) this whole thing was weird. Thomas could have made that statement and still gone to the event out of respect for his teammates.

No one will care in a few days anyway, but it was an odd decision by thomas.
Quote:
"I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People," Thomas' statement read. "This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government."

"Because I believe this," the statement continued, "today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL."
UN OCCUPY THE WHITE HOUSE

Old
01-23-2012, 07:16 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
I don't know what TT's exact politics are but I respect him for taking a stand on what he believes in, and would like more athletes to do it.
Personally, I prefer my sports with no politics or religion... But then again, I prefer all entertainment, including dinner parties and concerts (thanks for the 10 minute speech, Bono) without it...

Old
01-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Had to stop myself there. My post was too political.

I have no problem with TT skipping the White House, I'm not sure why it's such a huge deal. If anything he missed out. It was his decision and he had every right to make it.

Old
01-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Flik
Canucks fan for life

The Wings better hope they win the West, or the President's Trophy, because if they do lol.

Old
01-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
UN OCCUPY THE WHITE HOUSE
I love how Thomas says his decision wasn't about politics. He seems to understand the concept of "politics" as well as Marchand does NHL rules.

Old
01-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flik View Post
The Wings better hope they win the West, or the President's Trophy, because if they do lol.
I don't get it. Tell me more.

Old
01-23-2012, 07:51 PM
flack

Man the wings just don't lose at home. If we meet them in the playoffs we better be the higher seeded team.

Old
01-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

Also, how bout some love for the Predasnores?

won 11 of last 13 games.

Old
01-23-2012, 07:58 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I have no problem with TT skipping the White House, I'm not sure why it's such a huge deal. If anything he missed out. It was his decision and he had every right to make it.
Would you have a problem if Obama didn't invite Thomas (catching wind of his political views), but he did invite the rest of the Bruins?

It would be pretty petty of Obama, IMO... and it was pretty petty of Thomas... It's about the Bruins winning the Stanley Cup... It's a team recognition and accomplishment... It's not a stage for Obama or Thomas to be making individual political statements... It's the final stamp placed on last season's team success... Thomas not being there implies to me that Thomas may not be the greatest team player... Self-centered, egotistical, ********, IMO...

Old
01-23-2012, 07:59 PM
thepuckmonster
professional winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
I love how Thomas says his decision wasn't about politics. He seems to understand the concept of "politics" as well as Marchand does NHL rules.
TL;DR-- "this isn't about politics but its totally about politics."

Old
01-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Also, how bout some love for the Predasnores?

won 11 of last 13 games.
Lol they ve been pretty entertaining this year, especially last game vs the hawks

Old
01-23-2012, 08:02 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
What an utter dick move by Thomas.

Theroretically, about 1/2 of the players on every team that visits the White House will disagree with the politics of whatever President is in there. But they all go, because it's the right thing to do - it's an honour to be invited and they have respect for the institution. And when you're a member of a 'team', it's a bit of an insult to bail on the rest of your group. And it's bad PR for your team and bad PR for the league as a whole.

If we win the Cup and a Canuck did this - no matter who the PM is - I'd be pretty pissed at the arrogant way they put themselves ahead of their team.
This guy looks up to Sarah Palin for her intellectual ability. Maybe Thomas was afraid he could catch Democratitis from the Obama.

Old
01-23-2012, 08:05 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

If Obama had invited Tim Thomas and he declined for these stated reasons, I would totally respect that. He invited the Boston Bruins, though, and Thomas should've respected his teammates enough to set his political views aside.
I agree with Thomas about the erosion of individual rights (Patriot Act, etc) but make your point at the right time and in a non-partisan forum. Anyone decrying a messed up system AND finding solutions from Glenn Beck is hardly apolitical.

Closed Thread