HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

The Next Malkin Or Ovechkin?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2012, 05:59 PM
  #1
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!
 
MetalheadPenguinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,051
vCash: 50
The Next Malkin Or Ovechkin?

Hey guys,

As most of us know every year we more or less hear about Canadian kids being hyped as "The Next Gretzky", "The Next Mario", or "The Next Crosby".

While that's all fine and well, what about in Russia? Are there currently or have there been any kids in the past that are or were being hyped as the next Geno or "Great 8"?

Discuss.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:00 PM
  #2
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,803
vCash: 500
Kuznetsov.

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:01 PM
  #3
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Yakupov and Grigorenko? lol.

Edit: In Russia? Nothin soon.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:02 PM
  #4
Hockify
Registered User
 
Hockify's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
I guess you can say that about Nail Yakupov- talented winger, should go 1st overall.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:04 PM
  #5
Hockeysemin
Registered User
 
Hockeysemin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,052
vCash: 500
Kuznetsov already one of best player in KHL at age 19.



Yakupov and Grigorenko maybe more hyped in Canada, but in Russia not many really care or know about player not playing in mens league (KHL,NHL)

Hockeysemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:04 PM
  #6
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,644
vCash: 500
Grigorenko is sort of like Malkin (or maybe more of a less physical Getzlaf or Staal), a big center with nice hands who can shoot, pass, stick handle, and really see the ice well, a guy who can dominate the puck and make really creative plays, though I think Malkin has much better speed and one-on-one ability.

Yakupov is sort of like a smaller Ovechkin (with shades of Parise too), a bull on the ice with a rare combination of high end skill and tenacity, who loves to score goals. I'd say those two would be the closest, in terms of top notch Russian prospects who play a similar style of hockey.

I also happen to think Taylor Hall plays quite a lot like a smaller Ovechkin, even more so than Yakupov, but he's Canadian and already in the NHL, so doesn't fit the OP's criteria.

I don't think Kuznetsov really plays an Ovechkin style of hockey, he's more of a silky smooth, not-too-physical player as opposed to a really powerful, explosive player like Ovy. Has the flash and the high end skill, but there are a TONNE of players I'd compare him to before Ovechkin. I see his upside as being more like Semin with a better compete level.


Last edited by ponder: 01-23-2012 at 06:11 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:14 PM
  #7
CarvinSigX
Registered User
 
CarvinSigX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 8,025
vCash: 2616
The big 4 in no particular order...

Tarasenko
Kuznetsov
Yakupov
Grigorenko

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:17 PM
  #8
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!
 
MetalheadPenguinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,051
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
The big 4 in no particular order...

Tarasenko
Kuznetsov

Yakupov
Grigorenko
Never heard of these guys. When will they be NHL eligable?

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:23 PM
  #9
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Never heard of these guys. When will they be NHL eligable?
Tarasenko and Kuznetsov were both drafted in 2010, they could have been playing in the NHL as early as 2010/11 had they not stayed in the KHL. I believe both have KHL contracts expiring at the end of this season, both COULD come over next year, but neither have 100% committed to it.

Grigorenko will be drafted in 2012, and many see him as a top 2 prospect in the draft, along with Yakupov. Currently plays in the Q for the Remparts.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:25 PM
  #10
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby
 
Jabba11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Never heard of these guys. When will they be NHL eligable?
?

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:25 PM
  #11
DuckJet
Destiny pls
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,799
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Grigorenko is sort of like Malkin (or maybe more of a less physical Getzlaf or Staal), a big center with nice hands who can shoot, pass, stick handle, and really see the ice well, a guy who can dominate the puck and make really creative plays, though I think Malkin has much better speed and one-on-one ability.

Yakupov is sort of like a smaller Ovechkin (with shades of Parise too), a bull on the ice with a rare combination of high end skill and tenacity, who loves to score goals. I'd say those two would be the closest, in terms of top notch Russian prospects who play a similar style of hockey.

I also happen to think Taylor Hall plays quite a lot like a smaller Ovechkin, even more so than Yakupov, but he's Canadian and already in the NHL, so doesn't fit the OP's criteria.

I don't think Kuznetsov really plays an Ovechkin style of hockey, he's more of a silky smooth, not-too-physical player as opposed to a really powerful, explosive player like Ovy. Has the flash and the high end skill, but there are a TONNE of players I'd compare him to before Ovechkin. I see his upside as being more like Semin with a better compete level.


I saw a Yakupov-Kane comparison that seemed more appropriate than Ovechkin.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:28 PM
  #12
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!
 
MetalheadPenguinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,051
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Never heard of these guys. When will they be NHL eligable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
?
Well excuse me for not paying 100% attention to the draft, besides hearing a tad bit about Yakupov.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:42 PM
  #13
2faded
Registered User
 
2faded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lomita, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Tarasenko and Kuznetsov were both drafted in 2010, they could have been playing in the NHL as early as 2010/11 had they not stayed in the KHL. I believe both have KHL contracts expiring at the end of this season, both COULD come over next year, but neither have 100% committed to it.

Grigorenko will be drafted in 2012, and many see him as a top 2 prospect in the draft, along with Yakupov. Currently plays in the Q for the Remparts.
Just curious, do the players have to enter/sign-up/submit something to be part of the draft? Or do players just become draft eligible once they meet certain criteria? The reason I ask is because why would these players even enter the draft if they didnt want to play in the NHL?

2faded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:32 AM
  #14
Eamonn*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2faded View Post
Just curious, do the players have to enter/sign-up/submit something to be part of the draft? Or do players just become draft eligible once they meet certain criteria? The reason I ask is because why would these players even enter the draft if they didnt want to play in the NHL?
Everyone wants to play in the NHL. It's the highest level of play.

Eamonn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:44 AM
  #15
pouskin74*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Swansea, UK
Posts: 4,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamonn View Post
Everyone wants to play in the NHL. It's the highest level of play.
everyone? are you sure?

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:06 AM
  #16
JAS 39 Gripen
Registered User
 
JAS 39 Gripen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamonn View Post
Everyone wants to play in the NHL. It's the highest level of play.
Theres probably around 50 players in Europe that could easily make a NHL roster, but they prefer to stay here. So you are wrong

JAS 39 Gripen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 08:16 AM
  #17
Eugene85
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
In terms of style the player most similar to Malkin is Kuznetsov. Grigorenko plays different style, very "unrussian" and very unusual at least for me personally. I dont remember anyone from Russia playing the same way as him. I would say Malkin's size+Larionov's brain+swedesh sobriety= Grigorenko.
As for Ovechkin I think the best comparison is Yakupov but he is smaller. Yakupov is agressive, fast etc. The only problem I see he wasnt as dominant as Ovechkin was at WJC. Also Tolchinsky plays very Ovechkin-like but he is even smaller than Yakupov and I dont think he will grow up significally.
As for others I didnt see anyone of them personally but basing on different information:
Nichushkin- has lethal shot, uses his size, has great scoring ability, looks like Malkin but he is a winger. Barbashev jr.- great vision, great hands, great speed, agressive player, didnt heard about any comparisons. Tyanullin(97)- all I know about him is that he is Yakupov-like player. Kashtanov(97)- cant say anything but people are very high on him.

Eugene85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 08:19 AM
  #18
startainfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 6,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post


I saw a Yakupov-Kane comparison that seemed more appropriate than Ovechkin.
yakupov can hit, i don't think kane was ever praised for his physicality

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 08:58 AM
  #19
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS 39 Gripen View Post
Theres probably around 50 players in Europe that could easily make a NHL roster, but they prefer to stay here. So you are wrong
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

SergeConstantin74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:10 AM
  #20
TobiasE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 202
vCash: 500
Valery Nichushkin... '95 born. Obviously has a way to go to solidify himself as an elite NHL star but his future looks bright.

TobiasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:04 PM
  #21
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2faded View Post
Just curious, do the players have to enter/sign-up/submit something to be part of the draft? Or do players just become draft eligible once they meet certain criteria? The reason I ask is because why would these players even enter the draft if they didnt want to play in the NHL?
Pretty sure that any person age 18 or older can be drafted, and that you don't declare for the NHL draft like you do for the NBA draft. Once you hit a certain age, you're automatically eligible to be drafted, but nobody is forcing you to actually sign a contract. If the a team like the Caps wants to draft a prospect like Kuznetsov, it's up for them to talk to him, his family, etc. and see if he's actually strongly considering coming to the NHL at some point.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.