HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

The Next Malkin Or Ovechkin?

Old
01-23-2012, 05:59 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
The Next Malkin Or Ovechkin?

Hey guys,

As most of us know every year we more or less hear about Canadian kids being hyped as "The Next Gretzky", "The Next Mario", or "The Next Crosby".

While that's all fine and well, what about in Russia? Are there currently or have there been any kids in the past that are or were being hyped as the next Geno or "Great 8"?

Discuss.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

vCash: 500
Kuznetsov.

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:01 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Yakupov and Grigorenko? lol.

Edit: In Russia? Nothin soon.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Hockify

I guess you can say that about Nail Yakupov- talented winger, should go 1st overall.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Hockeysemin

Kuznetsov already one of best player in KHL at age 19.

Yakupov and Grigorenko maybe more hyped in Canada, but in Russia not many really care or know about player not playing in mens league (KHL,NHL)

Hockeysemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:04 PM
ponder

Grigorenko is sort of like Malkin (or maybe more of a less physical Getzlaf or Staal), a big center with nice hands who can shoot, pass, stick handle, and really see the ice well, a guy who can dominate the puck and make really creative plays, though I think Malkin has much better speed and one-on-one ability.

Yakupov is sort of like a smaller Ovechkin (with shades of Parise too), a bull on the ice with a rare combination of high end skill and tenacity, who loves to score goals. I'd say those two would be the closest, in terms of top notch Russian prospects who play a similar style of hockey.

I also happen to think Taylor Hall plays quite a lot like a smaller Ovechkin, even more so than Yakupov, but he's Canadian and already in the NHL, so doesn't fit the OP's criteria.

I don't think Kuznetsov really plays an Ovechkin style of hockey, he's more of a silky smooth, not-too-physical player as opposed to a really powerful, explosive player like Ovy. Has the flash and the high end skill, but there are a TONNE of players I'd compare him to before Ovechkin. I see his upside as being more like Semin with a better compete level.

Last edited by ponder: 01-23-2012 at 06:11 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:14 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
The big 4 in no particular order...

Tarasenko
Kuznetsov
Yakupov
Grigorenko

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:17 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
The big 4 in no particular order...

Tarasenko
Kuznetsov

Yakupov
Grigorenko
Never heard of these guys. When will they be NHL eligable?

Old
01-23-2012, 06:23 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Tarasenko and Kuznetsov were both drafted in 2010, they could have been playing in the NHL as early as 2010/11 had they not stayed in the KHL. I believe both have KHL contracts expiring at the end of this season, both COULD come over next year, but neither have 100% committed to it.

Grigorenko will be drafted in 2012, and many see him as a top 2 prospect in the draft, along with Yakupov. Currently plays in the Q for the Remparts.

Old
01-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
?

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:25 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Grigorenko is sort of like Malkin (or maybe more of a less physical Getzlaf or Staal), a big center with nice hands who can shoot, pass, stick handle, and really see the ice well, a guy who can dominate the puck and make really creative plays, though I think Malkin has much better speed and one-on-one ability.

Yakupov is sort of like a smaller Ovechkin (with shades of Parise too), a bull on the ice with a rare combination of high end skill and tenacity, who loves to score goals. I'd say those two would be the closest, in terms of top notch Russian prospects who play a similar style of hockey.

I also happen to think Taylor Hall plays quite a lot like a smaller Ovechkin, even more so than Yakupov, but he's Canadian and already in the NHL, so doesn't fit the OP's criteria.

I don't think Kuznetsov really plays an Ovechkin style of hockey, he's more of a silky smooth, not-too-physical player as opposed to a really powerful, explosive player like Ovy. Has the flash and the high end skill, but there are a TONNE of players I'd compare him to before Ovechkin. I see his upside as being more like Semin with a better compete level.

I saw a Yakupov-Kane comparison that seemed more appropriate than Ovechkin.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:28 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
?
Well excuse me for not paying 100% attention to the draft, besides hearing a tad bit about Yakupov.

Old
01-23-2012, 09:42 PM
2faded

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Tarasenko and Kuznetsov were both drafted in 2010, they could have been playing in the NHL as early as 2010/11 had they not stayed in the KHL. I believe both have KHL contracts expiring at the end of this season, both COULD come over next year, but neither have 100% committed to it.

Grigorenko will be drafted in 2012, and many see him as a top 2 prospect in the draft, along with Yakupov. Currently plays in the Q for the Remparts.
Just curious, do the players have to enter/sign-up/submit something to be part of the draft? Or do players just become draft eligible once they meet certain criteria? The reason I ask is because why would these players even enter the draft if they didnt want to play in the NHL?

2faded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:32 AM
Eamonn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2faded View Post
Just curious, do the players have to enter/sign-up/submit something to be part of the draft? Or do players just become draft eligible once they meet certain criteria? The reason I ask is because why would these players even enter the draft if they didnt want to play in the NHL?
Everyone wants to play in the NHL. It's the highest level of play.

Eamonn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:44 AM
pouskin74*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamonn View Post
everyone? are you sure?

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:06 AM
JAS 39 Gripen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamonn View Post
Theres probably around 50 players in Europe that could easily make a NHL roster, but they prefer to stay here. So you are wrong

JAS 39 Gripen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 08:16 AM
Eugene85

In terms of style the player most similar to Malkin is Kuznetsov. Grigorenko plays different style, very "unrussian" and very unusual at least for me personally. I dont remember anyone from Russia playing the same way as him. I would say Malkin's size+Larionov's brain+swedesh sobriety= Grigorenko.
As for Ovechkin I think the best comparison is Yakupov but he is smaller. Yakupov is agressive, fast etc. The only problem I see he wasnt as dominant as Ovechkin was at WJC. Also Tolchinsky plays very Ovechkin-like but he is even smaller than Yakupov and I dont think he will grow up significally.
As for others I didnt see anyone of them personally but basing on different information:
Nichushkin- has lethal shot, uses his size, has great scoring ability, looks like Malkin but he is a winger. Barbashev jr.- great vision, great hands, great speed, agressive player, didnt heard about any comparisons. Tyanullin(97)- all I know about him is that he is Yakupov-like player. Kashtanov(97)- cant say anything but people are very high on him.

Eugene85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 08:19 AM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post

I saw a Yakupov-Kane comparison that seemed more appropriate than Ovechkin.
yakupov can hit, i don't think kane was ever praised for his physicality

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 08:58 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS 39 Gripen View Post
Theres probably around 50 players in Europe that could easily make a NHL roster, but they prefer to stay here. So you are wrong
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

SergeConstantin74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:10 AM
TobiasE

Valery Nichushkin... '95 born. Obviously has a way to go to solidify himself as an elite NHL star but his future looks bright.

TobiasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:04 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2faded View Post
Pretty sure that any person age 18 or older can be drafted, and that you don't declare for the NHL draft like you do for the NBA draft. Once you hit a certain age, you're automatically eligible to be drafted, but nobody is forcing you to actually sign a contract. If the a team like the Caps wants to draft a prospect like Kuznetsov, it's up for them to talk to him, his family, etc. and see if he's actually strongly considering coming to the NHL at some point.