HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

49 - Penguins @ Blues - Jan24 - 20:00 - Scottrade - Mental Case and Battleship

Old
01-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Randy Butternubs
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

vCash: 370
49 - Penguins @ Blues - Jan24 - 20:00 - Scottrade - Mental Case and Battleship

@

Mental Case and Battleship

On January 17, 1974 the Pittsburgh Penguins sent defender Bryan Watson, winger Greg Polis, and a 2nd round draft choice to the St. Louis Blues for tough guys Steve "Mental Case" Durbano (defense) and John Robert "Battleship" Kelly (forward) as well as defenseman Ab DeMarco. While this trade along with a few others did provide a much needed shake up to the team, they failed to reach playoffs after going 14-10-4 finishing with a 28-41-9 record.

While Durbano and Kelly were known for their toughness they both had an adequate scoring touch. Sadly, Durbano suffered a wrist injury in the 74-75 season which limited him to only 1 game and greatly affected his abilities in the 75-76 season. This lead to him being traded to the Kansas City Scouts almost exactly 2 years after being acquired from the Blues. Durbano lead a wild life battling alcoholism as well as the DEA -- in 1983 he was arrested for trying to import $500,000 worth of cocaine into Canada which lead to a 7 year prison sentence.

Unlike Durbano, Battleship Kelly wasn't more trouble off the ice than on it. Once arriving he started contributing with his stick as well as his fists scoring 7 goals, 10 assists and amounting 78 penalty minutes in just 30 games. Kelly continued his scoring and pugilistic ways for the next 3 seasons with the Pens hitting career highs in goals, points, and penalty minutes. Kelly signed with the Chicago Blackhawks in the summer of 1977 but was never able to come close to the numbers he had with the Penguins.

Penguins Career Totals

GP66
G4
A23
PTS27
PIM309
PTS/GP0.41
PIM/GP4.68

GP250
G69
A85
PTS154
PIM462
PTS/GP0.62
PIM/GP1.85

Old School Highlights

http://youtu.be/S9fTs9pHyoM

Lineups

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Dupuis-Jeffrey-Kennedy
Cooke-Park-Sullivan
Tangradi-Vitale-Adams

Orpik-Letang
Martin-Michalek
Niskanen-Engelland

Fleury

vs.

Perron-Backes-Oshie
D'Agostini-Berglund-Stewart
Sobotka-Arnott-Langenbrunner
Crombeen-Nichol-Reaves

Colaiacovo-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak

Elliott

I hope you guys like the GDT -- thought I'd try something different

Last edited by Randy Butternubs: 01-24-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Beauner

vCash: 50
Can we please cut Bernie Lukowich? He really offers nothing to this team. I mean it was a good idea in the offseason but it just isn't working.

Hopefully Apps and Pronovost can continue their dominance of the league. Best tandem in the league, imo

Beauner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:53 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

vCash: 500
I'll be there tomorrow night, boys and girls!

They lost in here last year, so here's to hoping for a better outcome.

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:55 PM

Detroit beat St. Louis tonight.

Halak was in goal so I'm guessing we'll see Elliot tomorrow.

71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:57 PM
HuskerTornado
Jobu Needs Rum

My birthday game. Was going to grab some tickets and drive to St. Louis but forgot about it until about a week ago and just blew it off. Ah well.

In hopes of extending the current win streak to seven...

HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:18 AM
Ugene Malkin
Hello Mr. Andersen

Nice work, Mechanical.

Thanks for the run down memory lane.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:06 AM

Tough game for the Pens right before the break. Very interested in seeing how this defense stands up to a team that will drive the net all night.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:18 AM
fragmag

Tough matchup on the road, hopefully we can keep the streak alive.

fragmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:32 AM
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams

There is one thing about this matchup that wasn´t mentioned yet. Blues are 21-3-3 at home, which gives them 45 points only from home ice. That´s more than whole Anaheim or Buffalo teams have. St.Louis team is scary good under Hitchcock.

I remember how they outplayed us earlier in the season, we were lucky we escaped with one point from that game. I haven´t seen such an effort from another team against us. That was probably the only game all season long, where we didn´t have a territorial advantage(and I love that territorial advantage we usually have!) and we did have a full lineup in that game(Yeah, Crosby was completely shut down by Backes there).
But they lost a really tough, hard-fought game vs. Detroit this night, so let´s hope this opens up some chances for us. Elliott in net probably.

BIG BIG test for our guys! I am really intererested in what Geno+Neal combo can do against excellent Blues´ defensive system. Can´t wait for this one.

Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:42 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post
My birthday game. Was going to grab some tickets and drive to St. Louis but forgot about it until about a week ago and just blew it off. Ah well.

In hopes of extending the current win streak to seven...
Happy birthday dude!

Nice one Mechanical. Finally a free night where I can lie on the couch and watch some hockey.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:03 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Will miss this game but Go Pens!

MacIntyre's been called up by the way. I hope he doesn't play in place of Vitale/Adams

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:08 AM
Weakside Lock
Trade Malkin???

I saw McClintock's post and immediately thought "when did I post that?" haha

Weakside Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:21 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

This is a really tough road game. The Blues have been great in January, but they did lose last night to Detroit and maybe that game took something out of them. It's also possible the loss will just piss them off and make them come out even harder though. Pens better be ready.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:30 AM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

St. Louis is a tough team, we're on the road and we're due for a loss.

On the plus side, they're on the tail end of a back-to-back and we've got Nealkin Fleutang.

I won't be devastated if we lose.

Cardboard Orpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:34 AM
mpp9

I watched last night's game. As long as Kunitz is forechecking and Neal is supporting Malkin, that line should be able to produce against any matchup.

I think a 2-1 game is in order though. We'll need to match St. Louis' solid defensive play.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:15 AM
WVP

Should good be a good test for our watered down roster. Love watching the Malkin and Neal show but it really sucks to rely on one line to this extent.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:27 AM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Should good be a good test for our watered down roster. Love watching the Malkin and Neal show but it really sucks to rely on one line to this extent.
Yeah, as much fun as it's been to watch, you have to figure the production will dry up at least at little bit at some point. And I don't see too much left going down the roster to help pick up the slack. I know it's kind of a buzzkill but it's worth noting that the Penguins have been playing some pretty mediocre to flat-out terrible teams, lately. Matching this lineup against the Blues' of the league is quite a bit different that matching it up against Carolina.

It might sound a bit strange coming from me but this is where I really, really, really miss Staal. Obviously I miss The Croz much more... but for the sake of my sanity, I've trained my brain to just consider him deceased, at this point. Anyway... Staal would go a long, long way towards helping solidify and legitimize a second line to take advantage of matchup problems and also help create them for Malkin and Neal.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:30 AM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Yeah, as much fun as it's been to watch, you have to figure the production will dry up at least at little bit at some point. And I don't see too much left going down the roster to help pick up the slack. I know it's kind of a buzzkill but it's worth noting that the Penguins have been playing some pretty mediocre to flat-out terrible teams, lately. Matching this lineup against the Blues' of the league is quite a bit different that matching it up against Carolina.

It might sound a bit strange coming from me but this is where I really, really, really miss Staal. Obviously I miss The Croz much more... but for the sake of my sanity, I've trained my brain to just consider him deceased, at this point. Anyway... Staal would go a long, long way towards helping solidify and legitimize a second line to take advantage of matchup problems and also help create them for Malkin and Neal.
The Rangers are a pretty good team. The Caps are a good team, too, that just can't consistently put it together. Other than that though, you're right.

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:31 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
At the least it likely allows us to slide Jeffrey down to the third line to make that a little more competent offensively.

Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Dupuis - Staal - Kennedy
Sullivan - Jeffery - Cooke

or similar - would be a lot more bearable.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:37 AM
BlindWillyMcHurt

See... that looks a lot better.

Amazing what a difference one player can make. Particularly at pivot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
The Rangers are a pretty good team. The Caps are a good team, too, that just can't consistently put it together. Other than that though, you're right.
Oh, no doubt. Those are both good teams, though I feel the Rangers are playing a bit over their head, right the moment. And I don't mean to downplay what Malkin and Neal have been doing -- great players take full advantage of weaker competition.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:40 AM
TheGoldenJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClintock View Post
Detroit beat St. Louis tonight.

Halak was in goal so I'm guessing we'll see Elliot tomorrow.
Don't know if that's a good thing.

Halak has been very good this season, but Elliot has been spectacular, and has shared the starts almost evenly.

TheGoldenJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Ignatius
Midfield Dreadnought

Elliot is in net vs. Pens, Blues org said so last night.

Expecting a brutal game tonight, I was sitting at ice level for the game at Scottrade last season and it was probably the tightest checking game I've ever seen. Blues are waaaay better this season on paper and under Hitchcock, I'd be happy with an OTL tonight (we earned that last season) but wouldn't be that disappointed with a regulation loss. I follow the Blues nearly to the extent that I do with the Pens and they are incredibly stingy at home.

Geno, Neal, and the Saint Louis Kid must put on a show to carry this team to victory. Its just that simple.

Ignatius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenJet View Post
Don't know if that's a good thing.

Halak has been very good this season, but Elliot has been spectacular, and has shared the starts almost evenly.
Halak plays like Ken Dryden against us.

71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:20 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Number 1 defense in the league. Expect some serious Hitchcock hockey.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Won't be watching this one, here's hoping for a good game.

Go Pens!

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote