HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#CBJFanProtest @ Nationwide Arena | Saturday 1.28.2012, 2PM

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2012, 09:37 AM
blahblah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I agree. It's clear, however, that some can't differentiate.
If they get rid of any #occupy tag and any reference to occupy (no posters, etc) on the day of the event, I'll show. If they organize via #occupy on Twitter, I will not attend. I do not what any potential confusion from anyone that is this related to that "organization".

We probably won't get a ton of people, but it is what it is.

I understand that OP didn't intend that, but people ran with it.

Old
01-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Ar-too

vCash: 616
Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Here's what a romantic I am. I read this thread and all I can think about is 18 months from now, the new regime coopts this idea for the season ticket drive. #OccupyNationwide results in a mild improvement in season ticket sales and the team responds by getting off to a hot start and maintaining it. In second place on January 15 a new sellout streak begins as the Jackets finish a strong season...

#OccupyNationwide begins again as the Jackets host a playoff series for the first time. Tweets like: "We are the 99%... on the power play!!! #OccupyNationwide" and "Hey hey! Ho ho! Detroit Red Wings have got to go! #OccupyNationwide" get retweeted over and over again by euphoric CBJ fans as the CBJ knockout the Red Wings in the first round...

Old
01-24-2012, 09:44 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
Tweets like: "We are the 99%... on the power play!!! #OccupyNationwide" and "Hey hey! Ho ho! Detroit Red Wings have got to go! #OccupyNationwide" get retweeted over and over again by euphoric CBJ fans as the CBJ knockout the Red Wings in the first round...
These are the exact kinds of things I don't want be associated with. Come up with our own thing, but none of this #Occupy stuff.

Old
01-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Kev22

#ProtestCBJ....Problem solved. Gets the point across and avoids the Occupy link.

Old
01-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
#ProtestCBJ....Problem solved. Gets the point across and avoids the Occupy link.
That's more like it.

Old
01-24-2012, 09:50 AM
wahsnairb

Quote:
I agree with this. Or #NoChangesNoWins

I just joined Twitter, but I will go make a post. Unfortunately the person who follows me and has the most followers is an ice girl who would risk getting in trouble if she helped spread the word.

and john mcconell (grandson of JHM) played with me on my high school team so maybe it would be beneficial to post on his fb wall to tell his dad to come out haha. I wish we were better friends.

Old
01-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Kev22

#NoChangeNoFans

Old
01-24-2012, 09:53 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
I prefer this. Let's take politics out of the equation completely.

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassť: 01-24-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: way to put politics right there in it
Old
01-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Kev22

#FansFedUp

#MadeColumbusAJoke

#NorthAmericanDisgrace

Old
01-24-2012, 09:57 AM
650X2

guys should add #NHL hash tag

Old
01-24-2012, 10:01 AM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

If I were to attend the protest, I would bring a sign of Mickey Mouse wearing a CBJ jersey. No words; the image would say it all. Maybe someone here with some artistic talent could create such an image and make it available to everyone so that it could be transferred to a sign / poster.

Last edited by Matt Foley: 12-19-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old
01-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Kev22

#StopTheSuck

#CloseTheCountryClub

Old
01-24-2012, 10:03 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Probably goes without saying, but make it obvious that you're protesting the front office and not an NHL franchise in Columbus. I'd hate to see this get spun the wrong way by some anti-Nationwide/anti-Jackets/anti-Arena deal/LET'S GO BUCKS! nutjob or pundit who somehow twists it to get the Arena deal shot down.

Maybe I'm a bit of a doomsday-fearer, but it may be worth pointing out.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:06 AM
650X2

If only like 4 of you show up can you guys please take a picture of the 4 of you with occupy signs.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
Probably goes without saying, but make it obvious that you're protesting the front office and not an NHL franchise in Columbus. I'd hate to see this get spun the wrong way by some anti-Nationwide/anti-Jackets/anti-Arena deal/LET'S GO BUCKS! nutjob or pundit who somehow twists it to get the Arena deal shot down.

Maybe I'm a bit of a doomsday-fearer, but it may be worth pointing out.
It's too late for the nut jobs. The arena deal is signed and sealed. The County now owns the arena and Nationwide is a minority owner of the franchise. I agree that the focus needs to be on the ineptness of the front office and the suckage that is the on-ice product. This should be about prideful citizens of Columbus and Ohio protesting an organization that is putting a black mark on a great city.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
If they get rid of any #occupy tag and any reference to occupy (no posters, etc) on the day of the event, I'll show. If they organize via #occupy on Twitter, I will not attend. I do not what any potential confusion from anyone that is this related to that "organization".

We probably won't get a ton of people, but it is what it is.

I understand that OP didn't intend that, but people ran with it.
The truth is not that I'm busy Saturday but that the OP used those last two words in his thread title and I refuse to attend until I see something done about it. I mean, I agree in principle and whatnot but what if my friends found out?

Old
01-24-2012, 10:27 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Why should a Columbus Blue Jacket player be handed a position in the All Star Game if he didn't earn it?

If you think somebody should because it would be "fair", then you should advocate scrapping the playoffs and just award the Stanley Cup to a new team each year based off a 30-team rotation which has nothing to do with how a team performs on the ice.
I like turtles.

To robert:

Oddly enough, I'm in a bowling tournament from 12-3:30 or so. I'll try to come by or find folks at dinner or something.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:28 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
The truth is not that I'm busy Saturday but that the OP used those last two words in his thread title and I refuse to attend until I see something done about it. I mean, I agree in principle and whatnot but what if my friends found out?
I'm sure I probably get your point, but since no one really was rallying on the tea party front, I never bothered to bring it up.

No one is going to ask for fiscal responsibility from the front office. I think we're safe.

The true reality is that I doubt we get enough people to even get anyone to notice. I doubt there is enough angst from the casual fan. Just not enough emotional investment, we just don't have the same fanatical fan base as the OSU football team. That's what 10+ years of losing will do to you.

Last edited by blahblah: 01-24-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old
01-24-2012, 10:39 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Lori Schmidt either reads this board or is getting tweets, because she just tweeted that "CBJ fans are starting to rumble about an OccupyNationwide effort."
She follows DBJ and he tweeted about it. I'm pretty sure that he read it, as I think that he might him with that account name that posts from time to time on here.

Either way, it's out there now.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:41 AM
umbyforpresident

What hastag are we sticking with here?

Enough is enough! Give us a #CBJ team to be proud of, or #GTFO

Old
01-24-2012, 10:44 AM
CapnCornelius

You walk away for a few hours an this is what things devolve into...

Folks, I juxtaposed two populist movements on opposite ends of the accepted political spectrum merely as an attention grabber.

The stated goal is nothing to do with politics--unless somehow Priest and Howson were elected or appointed while I slept last night.

As for what hash tags people are using, let's try consistency and apolitical. But let's not do #CBJProtest because some moron in Saskatoon will think we are protesting having a team just like idiots in Minnesota apparently think we're protesting the All Star Game. How about we just go with #CBJFanProtest? Hopefully people know we aren't protesting ourselves...

Howson and Priest are the targets. Priest needs to feel the heat too or nothing will change. Just as Howson threw Arniel under the bus, Priest will eventually do the same.

For the inevitable folks who want to poopoo this...you are the same folks who yap that people like myself hide behind our keyboards and don't act, etc. Well, I'm pulling out from behind my keyboard. What about you? Are you all talk and no action? Too afraid to make the statement to the face of the likes of Howson?

We don't have to agree with the Tea Party or the Occupiers statements. But one thing these movements have shown is that people can be gather and make a statement and the media will show up and cover it. This is your chanc to be heard. Not by the same 20 people on this board, but by all of Central Ohio.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:47 AM
umbyforpresident

How about #CBJArabSpring jk...

#CBJFanProtest works for me

Old
01-24-2012, 10:55 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post

Folks, I juxtaposed two populist movements on opposite ends of the accepted political spectrum merely as an attention grabber.

The stated goal is nothing to do with politics--unless somehow Priest and Howson were elected or appointed while I slept last night.

As for what hash tags people are using, let's try consistency and apolitical. But let's not do #CBJProtest because some moron in Saskatoon will think we are protesting having a team just like idiots in Minnesota apparently think we're protesting the All Star Game. How about we just go with #CBJFanProtest? Hopefully people know we aren't protesting ourselves...

Howson and Priest are the targets. Priest needs to feel the heat too or nothing will change. Just as Howson threw Arniel under the bus, Priest will eventually do the same.

For the inevitable folks who want to poopoo this...you are the same folks who yap that people like myself hide behind our keyboards and don't act, etc. Well, I'm pulling out from behind my keyboard. What about you? Are you all talk and no action? Too afraid to make the statement to the face of the likes of Howson?

We don't have to agree with the Tea Party or the Occupiers statements. But one thing these movements have shown is that people can be gather and make a statement and the media will show up and cover it. This is your chanc to be heard. Not by the same 20 people on this board, but by all of Central Ohio.
I support and applaud you. #CBJFanProtest it is.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I'm sure I probably get your point, but since no one really was rallying on the tea party front, I never bothered to bring it up.
Quote:

My apologies for distracting. Served the opposite of my intent, which was to move beyond labels and just get the thing done. I can't be there but I've provided some (hopefully) constructive feedback - I'd like this thing to be successful (in whatever measure of success).

Old
01-24-2012, 11:13 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 670
Quote:
I've been calling for a protest on these forums since December of 2010. I'm just glad to see others finally get behind a protest. My twitter pix has been #FIREHOWSON & #FIREPRIEST for several months.

Closed Thread