HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#CBJFanProtest @ Nationwide Arena | Saturday 1.28.2012, 2PM

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2012, 11:15 AM
DaveCBJ
Boom. Outta here.

vCash: 500
Kudos to this effort. Never let it be said that the CBJ has anything other than passionate fans.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:16 AM
leesmith
Still in.

Someone needs to take this to Facebook.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
She follows DBJ and he tweeted about it. I'm pretty sure that he read it, as I think that he might him with that account name that posts from time to time on here.

Either way, it's out there now.
I tagged him in the tweet last night because he has such a good cbj following.

What hashtag are we goin with now? I kinda like #closethecountryclub

Old
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

The title of this thread needs to be changed to #CBJ Fan Protest

Old
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Someone needs to take this to Facebook.
I can do that, but it would take time to be done correctly as an event.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:22 AM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
I tagged him in the tweet last night because he has such a good cbj following.

What hashtag are we goin with now? I kinda like #closethecountryclub
Save that for your sign. It's #cbjfanprotest

Old
01-24-2012, 11:24 AM
wahsnairb

Sick of suck? There will be a CBJ Fan Protest at 2PM Saturday (Jan 28) outside Nationwide Arena #CBJFanProtest #CBJ #NHL -- thebrianshaw (@thebrianshaw)

Old
01-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Crisp Breakout

http://www.facebook.com/events/164198437022669/

Here's a make shift event. Let me know if you want anything changed.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:48 AM
wahsnairb

Quote:

shared it on my wall and will invite people when I'm not in class.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:49 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 14216
Quote:

Joined.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:55 AM
MattTheMask
Cbus for life!

Quote:

haha, totally took that pic from http://www.lightthelamp.com

Anyway, so I am totally behind this event 110%. However, I am not on twitter yet, and I feel like there are a few others who will be attending and are not on twitter either. So twitter may not be an accurate count.

What else do we need? I am willing to help out in any form or fashion.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:55 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
The title of this thread needs to be changed to #CBJ Fan Protest
Agreed. Mods, please change and add time/date.

Old
01-24-2012, 12:39 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Folks, I juxtaposed two populist movements on opposite ends of the accepted political spectrum merely as an attention grabber.
I understand your desire, but you have to be aware that the Occupy tag is catchy. That's why they used it. As soon as I saw the title, I groaned. Not for what the goal but for the easy use of that movements "advertising".

I don't even like that we are using the flash mob method either honestly.

Old
01-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
What exactly is the point of this drama?
Basically, there are a decent number of people who have seized on Aaron Portzline's usual misinformed blather and believe that the next twelve months is going to be a mirror of the last twelve months. Therefore, these folks believe that the best way to address that is by doing something lighthearted but serious as well.

What they don't realize or don't care to realize is that there is absolutely no guarantee that any possible replacement would be better than the current regime, and that there's a very good possibility that it could be someone substantially worse. Basically, someone like John Ferguson, Jr. What sane candidate would ever look at coming to Columbus?

What they also don't realize or don't care to realize is that there will most likely be a group of anti-NHL or anti-arena deal zealots who may well attempt to hijack this for their own idiotic viewpoints as well. After all, it's a planned event that's basically about hockey and may or may not have media coverage. They also don't seem to realize or care that if there's one thing that businessmen really like to have happen, it's for people to back them into a corner and tell them what to do.

Old
01-24-2012, 12:50 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
Basically, there are a decent number of people who have seized on Aaron Portzline's usual misinformed blather and believe that the next twelve months is going to be a mirror of the last twelve months. Therefore, these folks believe that the best way to address that is by doing something lighthearted but serious as well.
No one has said that. What is mostly being said is that they've had enough of the Howson and Priest regime. I've already said that we shouldn't be this bad, which would indicate I expect this team as it has been composed to be better. How much better? Not sure. But I believe this team would have more than 13 wins at this date next year as it exists today.

Quote:
What they don't realize or don't care to realize is that there is absolutely no guarantee that any possible replacement would be better than the current regime, and that there's a very good possibility that it could be someone substantially worse. Basically, someone like John Ferguson, Jr. What sane candidate would ever look at coming to Columbus?
Fear of change? How silly. There is no guarantee of anything, but Howson and Priest have not earned the right to be employed with this team. In the "real world", if you don't do your job to a certain level of expected performance you are fired. There should be no different expectation here. This isn't knee jerk after all. FUD over the possible replacement is just flat silly. No one should buy that line.

Quote:
What they also don't realize or don't care to realize is that there will most likely be a group of anti-NHL or anti-arena deal zealots who may well attempt to hijack this for their own idiotic viewpoints as well. After all, it's a planned event that's basically about hockey and may or may not have media coverage. They also don't seem to realize or care that if there's one thing that businessmen really like to have happen, it's for people to back them into a corner and tell them what to do.
That was already mentioned earlier in the thread. What else do you have? As I said in earlier, this is the flash mob approach. There is not organization, no real plan on how to attain the goals. It will likely never happen or fizzle quickly. I doubt you have enough of any type of zealots to get momentum in any direction. It's 99.999% certain you can sleep safe.

Last edited by blahblah: 01-24-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old
01-24-2012, 12:59 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:

you realize we are head and shoulders the worst team in the NHL right now, right? I don't want to hear anything about injuries because the team fighting with us to be a punchline are the oilers who have been sans stars all year.

it would be different if we were in anaheim and doing this after a well built team struggled for half a year. our team is not well built and we rode a rookie goalie playing out of his mind to our only playoff appearance in franchise history. sure the new regime could be worse, but how much worse can you get? so we would STILL be a mess if they suck or maybeeee just maybe new faces would do a better job? it does not matter who takes over, but these guys didn't do their job and so they should not have their job.

Are you seriously content with the organization? That would be impressive.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
No one has said that.
Really? Let's take a look here:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1087625

Thread title:
Portzline says Howson, Priest "look safe"

And one of the first posts from there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I'm beyond livid. I think a protest movement needs to be started. The fans are not being heard.
And who started this very thread?

Old
01-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:

I think you're giving it too much credit... Anyone that is trying to hijack it for anti-arena sentiment will end up looking like a fool because you know the turnout is going to be small enough that people can brush it off.

It's more of a fun way to blow of steam and say, hey look we did what we can.

EDIT: and as for it being worse... I can't imagine it gets any worse than it has been. If in fact it does, we'll be drafting top-3 year after year and who can screw that up?

Old
01-24-2012, 01:33 PM
EDM

Palinka, your post #96 stands as one of the most condescending pieces of blather ever placed on these boards. You don't want to participate? Fine, butt out. But don't go mocking others who have the guts to try to make a statement of protest. Geesh.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:35 PM
MattTheMask
Cbus for life!

Quote:
Basically, there are a decent number of people who have seized on Aaron Portzline's usual misinformed blather and believe that the next twelve months is going to be a mirror of the last twelve months.
I think Porty more than likely has a few more credible sources, and inside connections than either of us do. Dont you agree?

Quote:
What they don't realize or don't care to realize is that there is absolutely no guarantee that any possible replacement would be better than the current regime, and that there's a very good possibility that it could be someone substantially worse.
No one cares to realize that? Sounds more like an assumption, and a lame attempt to downplay this grassroots protest. Additionally, there is a possibility that the replacement could be worse? . . Perhaps. But a good possibility??? Please. Are you comprehending just what a joke of a franchise the CBJ have become? We are the butt of every NHL joke. Im sick and tired of it. I would think that everyone would be. Even besides the losing, there are boneheaded decisions made on and off the ice at a staggering rate.

Quote:
What they also don't realize or don't care to realize is that there will most likely be a group of anti-NHL or anti-arena deal zealots who may well attempt to hijack this for their own idiotic viewpoints as well.
Once again. An assumption that is misguided and there is no basis to support this.

Quote:
They also don't seem to realize or care that if there's one thing that businessmen really like to have happen, it's for people to back them into a corner and tell them what to do.
Tell them what to do? There have been obvious signs and problems all along! This incompetency would NOT be tolerated in any other NHL organization, or any non-sports business.

Failing to recognize a glaring goaltending problem that every NHL 'expert' called out as many as TWO seasons ago.

Other than Rick Nash, we have failed to draft or develop an impact player even though we've drafted in the top 8 in 11 of the past 12 drafts (counting the #8 pick we traded last year)

We are on our 9th head coach, yet its still a coaching issue?

Even though we will have the highest payroll in Jackets history, we are set to have the worst record in Jackets history. That right there is alarming.

Think of all the failed draft picks, prospects that have come through here. The oversignings of Commie to a contract that eventually was bought out.

And dont get me started about when the organization made us all look like fools with Boomer, playing the Chicago Blackhawks goal song, JPM stating "Detroit Blue Devils", and how could we all forget, when Pens fans were allowed to ride OUR Zamboni.

But yet, after a dozen years of frustration, the fans finally want to stand up and take action and all you do is minimize what others are doing.

So then, what do you suggest? Continue to lose, and watch what little of a fanbase we have left erode away, which then would lead to the team relocating? Or, take a stand, even as futile as it appears to you, and at least we can say we tried to get through to ownership.

Last edited by MattTheMask: 01-24-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old
01-24-2012, 01:36 PM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

Joined the group, seems like our local media is picking up on this.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:46 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
This idea was raised before Porty ever opened his mouth. It was initially mentioned in a conversation with Lee a while back.

As for the next twelve months being a mirror of of the last twelve...I have made no such assumption. What I have done is come to the conclusion that this GM is a failure who has not earned yet another chance after yet another draft lottery appearance. He should not be involved in any attempt to rebuild. He should be gone before the trade deadline to let Craig Patrick step in on an interim basis. At least Patrick was once a successful GM. Howson has never been and never will be.

Quote:
A candidate who wants to be GM in the NHL. How many open GM spots you think there will be this summer? Beggars can't be choosers. Beyond that,there is no guarantee the replacement is better...but I can pretty well guarantee they can can't be worse. Unless the league expands to 32 teams and we finish 32nd.

Quote:
How many of those folks do you think can get motivated enough to come out?

As for backing the ownership and management into a corner...the audience is always right. Even JMac realizes that once his paying public has had enough, he has to do what is necessary to keep them coming back.

Consider this an "anti-boycott". The fans saying "make this right and we will buy tickets, buy jerseys, dine in the Arena District." In fact, I encourage those attending to spend money at Arena District bars and restaurants before and after, buy items at the Blue Line. Show how vibrant the Arena District can be again if ownership wakes up and fixes the problems that have plagued this organization so long, starting with the two guys presently running the show.

I've been honest about my agenda. What about your's Palinka? We've gone around about this before and you have intimated a personal and/or professional relationship with this management team. Be honest--this is your bias and this is why you are fighting any change that involves a replacement of present management.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Ar-too

vCash: 550
Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:

This is one of the dumber posts on the board since I posted something similar about Doug MacLean before he was fired. As it turns out, maybe I was right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Palinka, your post #96 stands as one of the most condescending pieces of blather ever placed on these boards. You don't want to participate? Fine, butt out. But don't go mocking others who have the guts to try to make a statement of protest. Geesh.
Seriously.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:49 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Joined the group, seems like our local media is picking up on this.
torg said he will join us on twitter.. that's a good start, I suppose.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:57 PM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
torg said he will join us on twitter.. that's a good start, I suppose.
I went to my friend at school today who is also a CBJ fan, he was ecstatic at this idea and hes going to go and try to get people from other districts too.

Closed Thread