HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators @ Coyotes | 9PM | SNET-E & TVA Sports

Old
01-25-2012, 10:28 AM
arglebargle

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post

A team that hovered among the top of the NHL in goals scored for the first half of the season shouldn't have this much trouble creating offence. Aside from the San Jose game, we scored 1.33 goals per game.
Don't be a baby. The pre-ASG schedule was absolutely brutal. They've played the most games of anyone in the league and they had to play the last 4 games in 6 days on the other side of the continent. You couldn't design a better situation for a team to lose 3 of 4 games.

We're lucky that they even won a game at all on this trip.

arglebargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:30 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

vCash: 500
It was nice to see Alfie in beast mode over the past two games.

It reminded me a bit of the Cup finals, where he was trying to will his team to win.

A shame he didn't get rewarded for it in this past game.

Even 1 point would have been nice after all of the crappy travel and reffing.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:03 AM
crockpot

We've played 12 games in 20 days, with 3 back to backs and travel in between all those games. It's been a really brutal month for them and they must be completely exhausted, as is evidenced in the last number of games.

Yes, the officiating has been horrible, worse than horrible, but the guys weren't playing well either. It was bound to happen. We are not yet a top tier team and we had a great run. Time to get back to basics after some well-deserved time off.

For those saying MacLean should not have taken Greening off Spezza's line, well I remember reading in here where some of you were screaming for Greening to be taken off his line cuz he didn't deserve the spot/wasn't good enough/ etc. etc. etc. You can't have it both ways.

Time to chill out. At the begining of the season no one expected us to be anywhere near where we are now. And most were quite okay with the fact that we were/are in rebuild mode. Nothing was expected of this team. Now some of you are all pissed off cuz they lost a few games? Time to get a grip.

The team is what it is. They'll have good games where everything comes together and they'll have bad games where nothing goes right including the reffing.

But all in all I'm very happy with this team. We need a few more pieces but even if we don't get them, they have exceeded my expectations for them this year.

crockpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Iamok
#Panic

It's funny to think that there would be 0 panic had we gotten just 1 point these past 3 games.... It never ceases to amaze me how fickle some of you are

Iamok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
It's funny to think that there would be 0 panic had we gotten just 1 point these past 3 games.... It never ceases to amaze me how fickle some of you are
Not sure how some made it through last season.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
They usually only show up whenever a losing streak happens.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:34 AM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
I love this sky is falling mentality that has always been the same from a lot of Ottawa fans. Get past the BS and the trolling. This team wasn't even supposed to be in playoff contention. We've made T.0. our proverbial ***** this season and it isn't as though we've been dominated by Boston either...

OH NO, THE SKY IS FALLING. IF WE LOSE TO BOSTON? We have to play them first. It is the all-star break now, stay in the present and you won't suffer so much. We are in 6th and the team is fine. MacLean will deal with this. The rest will be good for the team and the tender.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:35 AM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
Quote:
I dunno, put the greater Ottawa area on suicide watch I guess.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:20 PM
SpezDispenser

I hope they get some rest, they looked gassed last night. If they can come out and play a decent game vs Boston - win or lose, they can start focussing on the rest of the schedule.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:23 PM
SENSational Sens Fan

We're tied with Calgary with the most road games played in the league with 28. Most of the other teams are in the low mid 20's. Another interesting tidbit.

SENSational Sens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:47 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
I love this sky is falling mentality that has always been the same from a lot of Ottawa fans. Get past the BS and the trolling. This team wasn't even supposed to be in playoff contention. We've made T.0. our proverbial ***** this season and it isn't as though we've been dominated by Boston either...

OH NO, THE SKY IS FALLING. IF WE LOSE TO BOSTON? We have to play them first. It is the all-star break now, stay in the present and you won't suffer so much. We are in 6th and the team is fine. MacLean will deal with this. The rest will be good for the team and the tender.
THIS.

People get this. We are OVERACHIEVING. At the beginning of the year, our forwards were all having career years at the same time, this last month, our goalie has been Vezina-caliber.

We're not as bad as we were during the start of the year but we're not as good as our record has been in January. What the Senators are, are somewhere in between.

Relax, enjoy the ride, and don't get all butt hurt because the Leafs (who are in year 9 of their rebuild) are catching up to us in the standings. They're supposed to be a playoff team by now, we're not. That says enough about them.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:49 PM
jbeck5

If anyone's wondering why spezza has been a step slower the last couple games, he's been pretty sick. Not flu, but just a bad cold. Expect him to come back strong after the break.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:
We had the tank last season.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:54 PM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

If it's the cold that's been going around then yeah, I know I was laid out for a few days and I have a desk job...

metalfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Ice-Tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockpot View Post
We've played 12 games in 20 days, with 3 back to backs and travel in between all those games. It's been a really brutal month for them and they must be completely exhausted, as is evidenced in the last number of games.

Yes, the officiating has been horrible, worse than horrible, but the guys weren't playing well either. It was bound to happen. We are not yet a top tier team and we had a great run. Time to get back to basics after some well-deserved time off.

For those saying MacLean should not have taken Greening off Spezza's line, well I remember reading in here where some of you were screaming for Greening to be taken off his line cuz he didn't deserve the spot/wasn't good enough/ etc. etc. etc. You can't have it both ways.

Time to chill out. At the begining of the season no one expected us to be anywhere near where we are now. And most were quite okay with the fact that we were/are in rebuild mode. Nothing was expected of this team. Now some of you are all pissed off cuz they lost a few games? Time to get a grip.

The team is what it is. They'll have good games where everything comes together and they'll have bad games where nothing goes right including the reffing.

But all in all I'm very happy with this team. We need a few more pieces but even if we don't get them, they have exceeded my expectations for them this year.
Couldn't have said it better.

Ice-Tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Xspyrit

Ok, some comments are needed to put things into perspective I guess...

Hi there

The Ottawa Senators are still 26-14-6 since their awful 1-5 start of the season.

But yes, panic!

We also finished that road trip with a 2-3-0 record, which could have easily been 3-2-0 or 2-2-1 if we didn't get screwed on the disallowed tying goal against Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
A good hockey team should be able to play well on the road. Hell, we've done it before. I can't remember the last time we actually played well for 60+ minutes, and that's a bad sign.
13-10-5, despite 3 straigth regulation Loss, and we also lost our first 3 games on the road this season (slow start, adjusting to rookie players and coaching staff)

So, Sens are 13-4-5 in between. Really tough team to beat for home teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubbe View Post
Most games played in the NHL.. Was hoping for a .500 road trip but 1-3 isnt thaaat bad either.

Well deserved break for them now.
Toronto was a road game, so 2-3-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockpot View Post

Please post more, this board really needs it.

I think I never saw a harder NHL schedule before, and officiating as biased. The only game that the Sens clearly lost was the LA game, but even then, they got massively screwed by the refs too. If the game was normally reffed (which isn't perfect but still) and Zack Smith didn't hit the post in the 1st but scored, could have been a different game.

Xspyrit is online now   Reply With Quote