HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who holds the Referees Accountable??

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-31-2012, 09:44 PM
  #76
Comely
Registered User
 
Comely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 1,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proust View Post
Can someone compute how the Sens rank for minor penalties taken vs. minor penalties drawn in the NHL?
In terms of PP time vs PK time there are 5 teams worse off then the Sens

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:48 PM
  #77
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg729 View Post
I mean com'on. How hard is it to memorize 100 pages of rules (of which 90% you know already)? Then be able to skate up and down the ice during the game, and once in a while jump in between players?

I bet 75% of the posters on this board can do. 175k/year, B*ll****!!
Try it. It's a lot harder than you imagine.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:55 PM
  #78
backdoorpass
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 979
vCash: 500
this is getting out of hand, there is no accountability, its ****ing embarrassing to watch, like the refs are cheaters, and it sounds bad to say but thats all it is, they just choose on when they want to make a call weather its a penalty or not, or call the game a certain way then change it right at end and make soft call, like its so ****ing stupid

backdoorpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:56 PM
  #79
Afro Thunder*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,653
vCash: 500
Not even the KHL has this type of level of bush league reffing.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:02 PM
  #80
backdoorpass
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 979
vCash: 500
like how can anyone respect the league if lit refs can control the outcome, like the fact the refs are trying to prove a point to the team or coach shouldnt be allowed and the league does nothing about it

backdoorpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:08 PM
  #81
Tundraman
GoneCountry
 
Tundraman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North
Posts: 5,630
vCash: 500
Some media people are saying that the ref fraternity is in collusion to pay back the Sens for MacLean outing Dan O'rourke. If the NHL doesn't take public action by firing O'rourke this will sour lots of people off the game.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:09 PM
  #82
Icelevel
Best Players Play
 
Icelevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoorpass View Post
like how can anyone respect the league if lit refs can control the outcome, like the fact the refs are trying to prove a point to the team or coach shouldnt be allowed and the league does nothing about it
especially after everything the city of ottawa just did for the league on the weekend. seriously. i don't have much respect for the league. i agree with coach. it's a ******* joke on nights like this.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:10 PM
  #83
Melnyks Mirage
Too cheap to succeed
 
Melnyks Mirage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cumberland
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,191
vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoorpass View Post
like how can anyone respect the league if lit refs can control the outcome, like the fact the refs are trying to prove a point to the team or coach shouldnt be allowed and the league does nothing about it
No refs then?

If Ottawa gets a penalty, the refs are controlling the outcome. If their opponent gets one, they are controlling the outcome. The Senators have a lot of chippy, aggressive skaters on their team. Guys like Konopka are never, ever going to get the benefit of the doubt because Zenon fights and crashes and bangs. Same with Foligno (minus the fighting).
If the Senators want calls they need to skate hard and force opponents into penalties against them.

Remember, we get calls in our favour too. This is adversity and the team needs to figure out how to overcome it or they'll be on the outside looking in before long.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:11 PM
  #84
The King of Town
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Free Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,369
vCash: 500
The NHL will not be firing Dan O'Rourke. They didn't fire Stephane Auger after Burrows-gate.

It doesn't matter if they fire him. They just need to keep him the **** away from the Sens games. They also need to keep a close look on Sens games to ensure that the officiating is fair (Tim Peel, Dan O'Halloran, I'm looking at you.)

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:16 PM
  #85
pepty
Registered User
 
pepty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,479
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoorpass View Post
like how can anyone respect the league if lit refs can control the outcome, like the fact the refs are trying to prove a point to the team or coach shouldnt be allowed and the league does nothing about it
Exactly. It seems to be agreed that the refs are playing pay back with Maclean and that's just how things work if you call out a ref, especilally for a first year coach.

But that seems very unprofessional and just brings the league into disrepute.

pepty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:17 PM
  #86
Tundraman
GoneCountry
 
Tundraman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North
Posts: 5,630
vCash: 500
Put the radio back on Team1200. The idiot host AJ jakubek now says if you want the tickets don't talk about the refs.

Hey bozo if we don't write, call or listen you don't have a show. Talk about what we want not want you want!!!!

We don't want no stinkin tickets.

Radio Off!!!

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:22 PM
  #87
GK
Not Jeeks
 
GK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,756
vCash: 500
Its not good when you know the refs names because they have constant bush league calls against you. This league is turning into a joke. Someone outside of the Senators org. needs to say something about brutal officiating. It is becoming apparent that the league isn't listening to PM..

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:23 PM
  #88
GK
Not Jeeks
 
GK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
Put the radio back on Team1200. The idiot host AJ jakubek now says if you want the tickets don't talk about the refs.

Hey bozo if we don't write, call or listen you don't have a show. Talk about what we want not want you want!!!!

We don't want no stinkin tickets.

Radio Off!!!
Whats his number. I want to call.

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:26 PM
  #89
Afro Thunder*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,653
vCash: 500
First time listening to the Team in a long time, sweet jesus this is bad.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:00 PM
  #90
Alaskimo
Pesky Pesky...
 
Alaskimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoorpass View Post
like how can anyone respect the league if lit refs can control the outcome, like the fact the refs are trying to prove a point to the team or coach shouldnt be allowed and the league does nothing about it
While I agree the officiating has been bad we need some objectivity in this thread. You can't infer why or how the poor games are happening. You especially cannot take those inferences and pass them off as fact, be it in your thinking or in your argument. Reffing has been bad, we'll have to wait and see what happens. Saying the refs all got together and decided to bend the Senators over? That's a little ridiculous...

Alaskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:09 PM
  #91
GK
Not Jeeks
 
GK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskimo View Post
While I agree the officiating has been bad we need some objectivity in this thread. You can't infer why or how the poor games are happening. You especially cannot take those inferences and pass them off as fact, be it in your thinking or in your argument. Reffing has been bad, we'll have to wait and see what happens. Saying the refs all got together and decided to bend the Senators over? That's a little ridiculous...
BDP is all fact man. I believe it.


While he is passing opinion off as fact, I think there might be some form of reff "clan" that just doesn't like the Senators. It got bad last year, and has only gotten worse since. I think Clouston chirping might have had something to do with it though.

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:14 PM
  #92
Bileur
Registered User
 
Bileur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,757
vCash: 500
Nobody holds the refs accountable. The refs hold coaches and players accountable for what they say in the media.

We were finally seeming to get over the Peter Schaefer white flag and the mustache restarted the process.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:15 PM
  #93
Countdown0
Painfully Honest
 
Countdown0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskimo View Post
While I agree the officiating has been bad we need some objectivity in this thread. You can't infer why or how the poor games are happening. You especially cannot take those inferences and pass them off as fact, be it in your thinking or in your argument. Reffing has been bad, we'll have to wait and see what happens. Saying the refs all got together and decided to bend the Senators over? That's a little ridiculous...
No its not. The Sens are the second most penalized team in the league. But none of our guys have been suspended, which means we really aren't a dirty team.

Yet, going in against the most penalized team in the league, we didn't get a single power play. These are facts. You can argue with them all you want, but you're just wasting your breath being wrong.

Honestly, coaches and GMs should be able to file official complaints against referees in the game. And they should then specify the cause of their complaint. Then, the league should be FORCED to look at what the official complaint is about, and if they find that the complaint was justified, then they should, again, be FORCED to PUBLICLY discipline the referees. I gaurantee you, if Refs knew that their punishment for making **** calls like tonight, or the none-call of Karlsson when he "dove," or the disallowed goal when Foligno took the puck to the net, or the penalty shot on Philips, they would start to call a much more balanced game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur View Post
Nobody holds the refs accountable. The refs hold coaches and players accountable for what they say in the media.

We were finally seeming to get over the Peter Schaefer white flag and the mustache restarted the process.
The refs should grow the **** up and get the **** over it. If they are going to let their personal feelings get in the way of calling the game fairly then they don't belong in the top league in the world.

Think of it like this. If a referee was basing calls on a players race, or nationality, he'd get fired in a heartbeat. But players who wear an Ottawa jersey are considered fair game for blatantly biased calls. Why is it alright to be biased in some situations but not others. Any biased officiating should get you fined SEVERELY.

Countdown0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:20 PM
  #94
backdoorpass
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 979
vCash: 500
i honestly think there is a group of refs that dont like the sens dating back to almost the cup finals, it just seems that they arnt fair, like its just certain calls where you know if it was the other way around it would be called diff for the other team, and calls at certain points in the game, im the first one the say if its a penalty or not and im pretty fair when it comes to that having played hockey growing up, its just mind blowing some of this **** that goes on

backdoorpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:23 PM
  #95
ffayyca
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
For the team's sake, the management should just keep quiet and hope this doesn't continue. I think PM made a rookie mistake by calling out a referee, especially questioning his bias against a star player. It's never a good idea to go against the referees, especially in a league where they don't suffer any major consequence for their poor decisions. BM probably went "uh oh that's not good" when he heard PM's comment about o'rourke. We are also a small canadian market team with no financial trouble, so the league doesn't care if we make the playoffs. Unless the team is really good, reality is we are not likely to get favored in their books.


Last edited by ffayyca: 01-31-2012 at 11:25 PM. Reason: adding
ffayyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:31 PM
  #96
Countdown0
Painfully Honest
 
Countdown0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffayyca View Post
For the team's sake, the management should just keep quiet and hope this doesn't continue. I think PM made a rookie mistake by calling out a referee, especially questioning his bias against a star player. It's never a good idea to go against the referees, especially in a league where they don't suffer any major consequence for their poor decisions. BM probably went "uh oh that's not good" when he heard PM's comment about o'rourke. We are also a small canadian market team with no financial trouble, so the league doesn't care if we make the playoffs. Unless the team is really good, reality is we are not likely to get favored in their books.
That wasn't a mistake. MacLean has balls, and he's not afraid to speak his mind. Coaches should say it when they have a problem with the officiating. If they don't nothing will ever change, and the ******** will keep going until the referees decide its over.

There should be no ********. The Sens should keep complaining PUBLICLY. Sure, the refs may go against them for a while. But eventually it will get so obvious that the league has no choice but to put a stop to it in order to not seems like a corrupt, rotting cancer on the sports world. And then we'll get to see some fair games played.

IMO, don't complain during the game. If the refs **** up, say so to the media. They will make a big deal about it and throw it up on their news channels. And then the league will see it. As it begins to happen more and more, they will HAVE to acknowledge the bias.

Countdown0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:44 PM
  #97
MAK19
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 13,610
vCash: 500
MacLean or better yet Murray should sound off in the media. Just completely rip into O'Rourke and say he is a joke and that the league is too if they don't do anything. Would be awesome.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:48 PM
  #98
Countdown0
Painfully Honest
 
Countdown0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
MacLean or better yet Murray should sound off in the media. Just completely rip into O'Rourke and say he is a joke and that the league is too if they don't do anything. Would be awesome.
This. Wish I could see the post game interview from MacLean. Hopefully he just unloades. But then, if I were teh Sens I might refuse to do any interviews too. What is there to talk about. The refs bent them over. Period.

Countdown0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:03 AM
  #99
Tundraman
GoneCountry
 
Tundraman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North
Posts: 5,630
vCash: 500
The most passionate fans are in hockey markets but the ref are ruining a good thing. When fans become too frustrated to watch they stop watching. When fans become lukewarm and the games and merchandise don't sell out they'll blame everything under the sun but the real reason. Football learned a lesson and instituted video reviews to appease the players, coaches and most of all the fans. Football refs also consult each other to try to get it right. Rarely does that happen in hockey. Never do they ever override each other when one has a better view of the play. It's not about getting it right as much as it is about their pride. Reviews and consultation provide a safety layer against a ref who might try to control results for personal reasons or gain by taking some final decisions out of their hands helping to keep the integrity of the sport.

NHL refereeing is too individual and in some cases full of BS today. In many games what is called or not called has little semblance to what is happening on the ice. The NHL had better make serious changes soon. The worse fear of the NHL shouldn't be fan insurrection but much worse fan apathy.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:25 AM
  #100
Philadelphia Collins
Registered User
 
Philadelphia Collins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,147
vCash: 500
Ahh yess the refs cost us the game!! Maclean should whine to the media!!

*completely ignores that the gamewinner was scored from center ******* ice*

Philadelphia Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.