HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Sabres @ New Jersey Devils | January 24th, 2012 | 7:00 PM EST

Old
01-24-2012, 03:55 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
I know people hate quotes and everything, but Terry did say of Darcy, "I can work with him." Paul Hamilton asked him if he would make Darcy come to him for approval of moves and he said, "Why wouldn't I?" He said he wanted players with good stats, but also "gritty players, winners." He said he would spend to the cap. He said Darcy came to him with a plan to expand the hockey department, but the plan was too "subdued" so he told Darcy to put the pedal to the metal or to floor it or whatever folksy expression he used.

So, yeah, there are a number of indications that Terry could have been and could still be all up in Darcy's GM grill.
By telling him to put the pedal to the floor? By wanting to expand the hockey department?

And this is a problem?

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:02 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
Larry Quinn never got involved in the way of pushing Darcy to sign two of the biggest free agents to hit the market in the past two years. Pegula's level of involvement in the signing of Ehrhoff is 100% speculation. I'm not the least bit bothered by the owner wanting to sign guys like Ehrhoff and Parise.

Also, Ehrhoff not playing up to some peoples expectation =/= bad signing.
I am incredibly bothered by it if he's impinging on what the GM wants to do. You have to allow the GM to execute his vision of the team, even if that means the GM isn't going to pursue a superstar so that he can plug other holes with some of that money. Pegula won't look at some of the things that hockey people look at or should be looking at--i.e., how much of Ehrhoff's production was driven by offensive zone starts, PPTOI, playing on PP units with the likes of the Sedins and Joe Thornton, might we have to give this guy a contract that's untradeable for a certain period of time, etc.--and he's not qualified to make those sort of decisions.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I am incredibly bothered by it if he's impinging on what the GM wants to do. You have to allow the GM to execute his vision of the team, even if that means the GM isn't going to pursue a superstar so that he can plug other holes with some of that money. Pegula won't look at some of the things that hockey people look at or should be looking at--i.e., how much of Ehrhoff's production was driven by offensive zone starts, PPTOI, playing on PP units with the likes of the Sedins and Joe Thornton, might we have to give this guy a contract that's untradeable for a certain period of time, etc.--and he's not qualified to make those sort of decisions.
That's fair.

However, on the topic of Ehrhoff, you would have a very difficult time convincing me that it was an ill-advised contract at that cap hit. The contract might be untradeable for two years, I'm fine with that. He's earning his 4 mil cap hit and he's still only 29, not on the downside of his career by any stretch.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Zip15

Quote:
That's fair.

However, on the topic of Ehrhoff, you would have a very difficult time convincing me that it was an ill-advised contract at that cap hit. The contract might be untradeable for two years, I'm fine with that. He's earning his 4 mil cap hit and he's still only 29, not on the downside of his career by any stretch.
Like: Cap hit

Dislike: Term

One can like the cap hit and, at the same time, dislike the term of the deal. The 10-year term makes him untradeable to markets who'd be unwilling to buy him out after the seventh year and have six seasons of dead cap space. I think he's untradeable for a lot more than two years, too, given the length of the obligation.

Old
01-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by French Connection View Post
I don't think the D was the root cause of the loses to date. The team still needs to score goals.
True -- even Hasek-era Sabres teams that scored less than 2 per game had a hard time winning on a given night. They need the forwards to score and actually defend to go along with the defensemen doing a better job overall in their own zone.

01-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Kyndig86

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedpony View Post
Well done Woodhouse and BTT!

I'll miss the beginning as I'll be skating at the Northtown Center. Anyone who'll be around the area and wants to teach me how to "hockey stop" is welcome to hit me up.

Maybe after I'll find a feed...
To do a hockey stop you only use one foot, gradually apply more weight as you turn your foot to stop, if you turn your foot too fast you will either tum/360 or hurt yourself lol.

One way of practicing is standing in one spot and gliding one foot into a hockey stop then your other back and forth(its really tiring though). Also make sure your skates are really tight you don't want any ankle wobble or foot looseness.

Oh and keep your knees bent but don't bend over, keep your center of balance. If you're doing proper hockey stops it should look like you're making a J on the ice that gets wider near the bottom.

Kyndig86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyndig86 View Post
To do a hockey stop you only use one foot, gradually apply more weight as you turn your foot to stop, if you turn your foot too fast you will either tum/360 or hurt yourself lol.

One way of practicing is standing in one spot and gliding one foot into a hockey stop then your other back and forth(its really tiring though). Also make sure your skates are really tight you don't want any ankle wobble or foot looseness.

Oh and keep your knees bent but don't bend over, keep your center of balance. If you're doing proper hockey stops it should look like you're making a J on the ice that gets wider near the bottom.
Which foot do you use, I'm pretty good at skating, but I never learned how to stop or anything. Are you supposed to use the foot that's further away from you and turn it or the one that's closer to you.

Also, I learned that goal celebrations are a lot harder than they look! I tried the bow and arrow thing where you glide on one knee and failed miserably.

Last edited by Stop Winnin: 01-24-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Sabres Fan UK
eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Which foot do you use, I'm pretty good at skating, but I never learned how to stop or anything. Are you supposed to use the foot that's further away from you and turn it or the one that's closer to you.

Also, I learned that goal celebrations are a lot harder than they look! I tried the bow and arrow thing where you glide on one knee and failed miserably.
I can also skate and turn pretty well but when it comes to stopping it works 1/10 times (although the skates are pretty blunt). I also tried some celebrations and failed. However i can do the "fall on your face and slide along the ice on your stomach" celebration.

Nice vid BTT, you should replace Slyvester .

Sabres Fan UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Kyndig86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post

You use the foot that's further away to stop, your outside foot. If you're right handed probably be easier to stop with your right foot, though you need to learn how to stop with each foot obviously.

Yeah let me guess you spun out?

Kyndig86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:11 PM
puckish66

Quote:
By telling him to put the pedal to the floor? By wanting to expand the hockey department?

And this is a problem?
That should be the GM's call. How could Terry question Darcy's plan any more than Darcy could question Terry's plan for drilling wells?

Basically, same answer Zip gave.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:42 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

BuffaloSabres Buffalo Sabres
BREAKING NEWS: Jochen Hecht has a concussion and will not be in the lineup tonight. --^ks

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:44 PM
captaincrunch89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
BuffaloSabres Buffalo Sabres
BREAKING NEWS: Jochen Hecht has a concussion and will not be in the lineup tonight. --^ks
Thats 3 in less than a year I believe, career over?

captaincrunch89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Ugh Jochen... Well, this will likely make this team even worse, and we don't have to see him horribly misplaced with Vanek and Pominville again... Unfortunately, Lindy is going to put Roy there now...

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:47 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunch89 View Post
Thats 3 in less than a year I believe, career over?
Good lord.

If he is brought back i'm gonna scream. We need players we can rely on.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:55 PM
kirby11

jochen Y U SO BROKEN??? I feel for the guy, and he's been a good player to have around, but he should definitely hang it up at the end of this year. Or if he wants to keep playing the sabres should deal him to a contender for one last shot at the cup next year.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:57 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
If he doesn't get healthy soon, he's going to cost us a 3rd round pick.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:00 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Wow, another one? I feel badly for him. They're hell to deal with, and successive ones can't be helping.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

If anyone has a Sabres MSG feed, I'd appreciate it. The one I have is the Devils guys... and I hate them.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:06 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

So with Hecht injured, are they going to play a shortened bench? Wonder how the lines will shake out.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:13 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Like: Cap hit

Dislike: Term

One can like the cap hit and, at the same time, dislike the term of the deal. The 10-year term makes him untradeable to markets who'd be unwilling to buy him out after the seventh year and have six seasons of dead cap space. I think he's untradeable for a lot more than two years, too, given the length of the obligation.
So you like the cap hit. But you don't like what they had to do to get him at that cap hit.

Talk about small market thinking

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
So you like the cap hit. But you don't like what they had to do to get him and at that cap hit.

Talk about small market thinking
Would you like Paul Gaustad on a 20-year contract with a $700k cap hit? I mean, great cap hit but the length--which is the reason for the cap hit--is terrible. You can be alright with a cap hit but not the length of the deal even if the length of the deal is part of the reason for the cap hit. A 5yr/$20m deal is better than a 10yr/$40m deal.

I think you're the one with the small thinking.

Old
01-24-2012, 06:17 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Hopefully Adam can play with Vanek and Pommer now....and why no forward call up with 2 players in questionable condition......unexceptable.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:19 PM
LGB24

at least our white jerseys still look awesome

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:20 PM
fing0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post
If anyone has a Sabres MSG feed, I'd appreciate it. The one I have is the Devils guys... and I hate them.
is there a buffalo feed even?

fing0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:20 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Would you like Paul Gaustad on a 20-year contract with a $700k cap hit? I mean, great cap hit but the length--which is the reason for the cap hit--is terrible. You can be alright with a cap hit but not the length of the deal even if the length of the deal is part of the reason for the cap hit. A 5yr/$20m deal is better than a 10yr/$40m deal.

I think you're the one with the small thinking.
Great realistic counterpoint

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote