HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Calgary/NY Rangers

Old
01-23-2012, 11:45 PM
Flames rebuilder

vCash: 500
Calgary/NY Rangers

Calgary:
Wojtek Wolski
Mike Sauer

Rangers:
Anton Babchuk
Lee Stempniak

Flames rebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:48 PM
TrueBlueJoe89

No from a Rangers perspective. Sauer is an integral part of the D when healthy. Babchuk and Stempniak do nothing for me also.

TrueBlueJoe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Medium Rare*

I don't think either team does it, with the injuries in the top 6 and Gencross done for 6+ weeks I can't see the Flames parting with Stempniak unless we are out at the deadline.

However I could see something around Wolski and Babchuk for some reason

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:04 AM
NYR1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
I don't think either team does it, with the injuries in the top 6 and Gencross done for 6+ weeks I can't see the Flames parting with Stempniak unless we are out at the deadline.

However I could see something around Wolski and Babchuk for some reason
Do the Rangers really want to be carrying 10 defensemen?

NYR1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:16 AM
IfYouCantEtemJoinEm
so hot right now

vCash: 983
I would do it from a Rangers POV. Stempniak and Babchuk bring things the Rangers don't have: scoring depth and a booming shot from the point. The Rangers PP is absolutely awful. Maybe Babchuk ripping bombs is all they need.

Wolski is useless to the Rangers. Torts hates him. Maybe Sutter can get something out of him. Sauer is as solid of a physical defensive d-man as they come. It would suck to lose him, but he is replaceable.

IfYouCantEtemJoinEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:18 AM
Flames rebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR1967 View Post
Don't think think I'd do Anton for Wolski straight up anyway. I think Anton may draw some interest from teams looking to shore up their power play heading into the playoffs

Old
01-24-2012, 12:22 AM
NYR1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames rebuilder View Post
Don't think think I'd do Anton for Wolski straight up anyway. I think Anton may draw some interest from teams looking to shore up their power play heading into the playoffs
How about Wolski for an Egg McMuffin? That's fair value.

NYR1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:31 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR1967 View Post
is it worse than carrying Wolski? and I think its a safe bet some defensemen start to go down with injuries

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:35 AM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

I don't do that deal unless that's a last resort, and even then, I'm not too keen on giving up Sauer in that deal, who has been a rock for us on the backline. The guy can log 20+ minutes a game against the better forwards in the league, and shut them down. Sure, he's had injuries, but he holds a lot more value than most think being that he's very cheap and under contract.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:28 AM
FlamesFan18
Regression Obsession

Rather have Stempniak, puts up similar offense as Wolski and plays better defensively. Anton doesnt seem to be playing as well this year, but id rather send him off individually around the deadline for a pick/prospect.

FlamesFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:31 AM
Puckgenius*

Sauer would be awesome in cgy, id do the trade.

Stempniak is playing good but hes easily replacable. Babchuk is a sparepart.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:46 AM
Esa 10

No from NYR perspective. Sauer is integral part of defense and he's cheap. No one would trade for him until he's healthy and at that point his value to NY is back up.

Wolski of course is available. Babchuk is interesting in terms of PP, but another year on his contract might be a stumbling block. I know it's "only" $2.5m, but who knows what their plans for next year's cap space are. I think if there was a deal to be made here, it would revolve around some sort of pick/s or/and mid-range prospect. Unless Calgary for some reason wants to bring Stralman back.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:18 AM
Johnnybegood13

Wolski is the apidamie of a non-Sutter player,Stempniak while streaky at least works hard and plays defense when not scoring. Sauer is a nice dman but his type isn't truly needed if it means driving Sutter absolutely crazy.

Johnnybegood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:33 AM
Vitto79

from Calgary Rangers may have more interest in Sarich as a rental. Vet who I believed played with Tortarella in TB..........nothing more than a mid round pick though and maybe a guy like Stralman if the Flames need a Dman back

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:40 AM
Flames rebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
Wolski is the apidamie of a non-Sutter player,Stempniak while streaky at least works hard and plays defense when not scoring. Sauer is a nice dman but his type isn't truly needed if it means driving Sutter absolutely crazy.
Wolski can replace Stempniak's production and they're both gone at the end of the year either way. Sauer is exactly what the Flames are missing, physical, young and cheap. With Sarich probably not being back next year Calgary would have one of the softest defense in the league next year,as it sits right now.

Old
01-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Wolski can replace Stempniak's production and they're both gone at the end of the year either way. Sauer is exactly what the Flames are missing, physical, young and cheap. With Sarich probably not being back next year Calgary would have one of the softest defense in the league next year,as it sits right now.
it comes down to Babchuk not being the best defensively and Tortarella not having confidence in playing him alot..........Sauer is a rock defensively so when healthy no Ranger fan has a problem with him in the top 4

Plus Sauer is hurt they are going to let him get 100% before doing anything

Babchuk does help the PP however. His 2.5 million hit hurts his value next yr

Thinking the Rangers add a Dman but someone that is a rental like Sarich, Kubina,Gleason, Allen,etc

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

I like this trade for both sides.

I guess a lot of this hinges on Sauer being the most valuable part.

That being said, I think Babchuk + Stempniak helps the rangers / makes them better THIS season. With Staal coming back you know have him and Girardi being your shutdown-types. MDZ and Babchuk can be your offensive types.

Stempniak does a lot more than Wolski has, lately. Plus he's a bit bigger, a bit more physical, and adds some depth to the Rangers bottom 6.

Calgary gets some potential scoring in Wolski, but if he fizzles out then no worries. Saur has some decent potential for the future, and Babchuk only has a couple more years left in him anyway.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Northern Heat

I'm thinking no.

Babchuk and Stemniak may be replaceable but when CGY finally seems to be in a strong stretch, they're not going to make that drastic of a move. Especially for a flopping fish out of water like Wolski.

Doubt NYR fans would want to give up Sauer

Northern Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:05 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
No from NYR perspective. Sauer is integral part of defense and he's cheap. No one would trade for him until he's healthy and at that point his value to NY is back up.

Wolski of course is available. Babchuk is interesting in terms of PP, but another year on his contract might be a stumbling block. I know it's "only" $2.5m, but who knows what their plans for next year's cap space are. I think if there was a deal to be made here, it would revolve around some sort of pick/s or/and mid-range prospect. Unless Calgary for some reason wants to bring Stralman back.
This^. Would THINK about getting stuck w/extra 2.5m cap for 1 yr to rent a shot now, but not feeling strong about it, either...

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:10 PM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojanglez View Post
I like this trade for both sides.

I guess a lot of this hinges on Sauer being the most valuable part.

That being said, I think Babchuk + Stempniak helps the rangers / makes them better THIS season. With Staal coming back you know have him and Girardi being your shutdown-types. MDZ and Babchuk can be your offensive types.

Stempniak does a lot more than Wolski has, lately. Plus he's a bit bigger, a bit more physical, and adds some depth to the Rangers bottom 6.

Calgary gets some potential scoring in Wolski, but if he fizzles out then no worries. Saur has some decent potential for the future, and Babchuk only has a couple more years left in him anyway.
He's actuallu a lot smaller than Wolski. Only problem is Wolski plays like he is 5'11.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:42 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
Assuming this is at the deadline and Moss is back what if we switch Moss with Stempniak?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
Good proposal from a value prespective. Not sure what to think of it though, Sauer is a large upgrade over Sarich, but we could just insert Sarich in the lineup on a regular basis to add that physical element to our team. I guess where I am at, is the upgrade that Sauer is over Sarich, worth losing Stempniak and adding Wolski to our roster. I'm not so sure, but I don't mind the deal at all.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Gardner McKay
What a time

vCash: 50
Quote:
Calgary:
Wojtek Wolski
Mike Sauer

Rangers:
Anton Babchuk
Lee Stempniak
I would actually do it as a Rangers fan.

01-24-2012, 01:52 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

I'd LOVE to have both of these guys on the Rangers, but I'm worried Babchuk isn't so good defensively. If Calgary falls out and is looking to get something of value for these guys, I'd be willing to do something like this:

Wolski (RFA)
Stralman (RFA)
Young D prospect not named McIrath or for obvious reasons Erixon
Middle Pick (3rd or 4th)
Possibly a conditional 7th or 6th if one of them re-signs with the Rangers

Stempniak
Babchuk

Calgary gets roster players who have money coming off the books at season's end that can be given a chance to perform in Calgary. If they don't work out then they can go else where and become UFA's. Calgary also gets to add a young defender who might be able to crack their roster next season or even get a shot this season as well as a pick.

Rangers get a booming shot for their powerplay and hopefully a decent defender for a 3rd pairing. They get a 3rd liner who can chip in a score some goals, which IMO is needed on this team.

Salary works out on the Rangers end, but will it work on the Flames end?

mrjimmyg89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
I'd LOVE to have both of these guys on the Rangers, but I'm worried Babchuk isn't so good defensively. If Calgary falls out and is looking to get something of value for these guys, I'd be willing to do something like this:

Wolski (RFA)
Stralman (RFA)
Young D prospect not named McIrath or for obvious reasons Erixon
Middle Pick (3rd or 4th)
Possibly a conditional 7th or 6th if one of them re-signs with the Rangers

Stempniak
Babchuk

Calgary gets roster players who have money coming off the books at season's end that can be given a chance to perform in Calgary. If they don't work out then they can go else where and become UFA's. Calgary also gets to add a young defender who might be able to crack their roster next season or even get a shot this season as well as a pick.

Rangers get a booming shot for their powerplay and hopefully a decent defender for a 3rd pairing. They get a 3rd liner who can chip in a score some goals, which IMO is needed on this team.

Salary works out on the Rangers end, but will it work on the Flames end?
In that scenario, Flames would be happy to accept.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote