HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 off-season: Fielder to Detroit 9/214 ROFL! Jays sign (P) F. Cordero 1 yr 4.5M

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2012, 04:00 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
My question why would you make a move for him if the numbers are not good? Cause he is under control?

That is the game AA is forced to play look for guys even if they are not really good but if they are under control then go for it.

I would rather roll the dice with what they have.

Do you think Adam Laroche is a better 1b option than Adam Lind? I would see if the Nats are willing to part with him for Davis as they need a CF. They would move Morse to 1b and Werth to LF.

I know Laroche is a way better fielder and numberwise is pretty close. You can then flip Lind to a team for a pitcher.
What on earth are you talking about? His era looks really good and he pitches a good number of innings per year. He's young at 27 but his whip and avg. are high. That's what my concerns are. Whether or not guys and gals think he'd be able to compete in rogers and the AL east. It has nothing to do with AA or how he has to approach things. I listed that he was under team control for another year because he's under team control for another year. Just say you'd rather roll the dice with what we have and leave out the useless AA stuff. My question was simply if he'd be an improvement worth investing in.

As for Laroche. No thanks. There is zero advantage to adding him let alone replacing Lind with him. He played 43 games last year, he's a career .267 hitter who averages mid 20's hr. He does have good ops and obp but I really see no reason to bring him on.

Old
02-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
My question why would you make a move for him if the numbers are not good? Cause he is under control?

That is the game AA is forced to play look for guys even if they are not really good but if they are under control then go for it.

I would rather roll the dice with what they have.

Do you think Adam Laroche is a better 1b option than Adam Lind? I would see if the Nats are willing to part with him for Davis as they need a CF. They would move Morse to 1b and Werth to LF.

I know Laroche is a way better fielder and numberwise is pretty close. You can then flip Lind to a team for a pitcher.
If he was healthy and was still OPSing .850+, I would be interested but not right now. And Nats wouldn't give him away for Davis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Would any of you guys have interest in adding John Lannan from the Nats. They are apparently really looking to move him. He's there highest paid pitcher before todays signing at 5 million. Which seems crazy to me. Anyway, his broken down numbers aren't very attractive to me but maybe I'm looking at it wrong. He is young and under control I believe for another year.
I would pass. Low K rate, below average walk rate, gives up too many hits, high 80's fastball and I can't see that translating well to AL East. He does a good job getting groundballs but other than that, nothing much. I'm perfectly happy going with Alvarez into the season.

Old
02-02-2012, 07:45 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
If he was healthy and was still OPSing .850+, I would be interested but not right now. And Nats wouldn't give him away for Davis.

I would pass. Low K rate, below average walk rate, gives up too many hits, high 80's fastball and I can't see that translating well to AL East. He does a good job getting groundballs but other than that, nothing much. I'm perfectly happy going with Alvarez into the season.
Thanks Nasty. I honestly didn't know much about him. Was wondering if there was something missing that we could turn around for him but low velocity isn't something they can teach. Low velocity combined with our division = fail. I'll remove him from my thoughts.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:12 PM
TorontoSports

The Blue Jays are looking at installing real grass in the Rogers Centre.. I think that would be a great idea.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:21 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoSports View Post
The Blue Jays are looking at installing real grass in the Rogers Centre.. I think that would be a great idea.
It would really help the longevity of our players. I'd love to see it.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
I thought I was getting dementia and forgot something I had just posted (our pics are the same)

Old
02-02-2012, 08:25 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
How are they going to maintain it? They don't have an atrium type of setup like Safeco or the other newer retractable roof stadiums where light can get in all the time. And even if the roof is open, it doesn't always get light on the entire field.

Seems like the grass would die and have to be replaced constantly.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
02-02-2012, 08:44 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
How are they going to maintain it? They don't have an atrium type of setup like Safeco or the other newer retractable roof stadiums where light can get in all the time. And even if the roof is open, it doesn't always get light on the entire field.

They would use a lot of fertilizer and it would only last through the baseball season. They would have to put new grass down every year. It would most likely be in pretty rough shape at the beginning and end of the year.

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityne...-rogers-centre

They would have to kick the Argos out (Easy because lease ends after this year) and could not hold any other event at the stadium during the baseball season.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Could stadium lights not sufficiently augment the sun for light energy?

Old
02-02-2012, 09:02 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Could be the largest hydroponic set up in the world. LOL. They would have to sort something out with lighting but I'm sure there's something they could do with some investment.

Old
02-02-2012, 09:32 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post

There is the technology to do it.

Beeston mentioned that they brought it in during the soccer played during the European exhibition games they hosted.

I think its just a matter of ironing out the little things, but obviously it is feasible in some capacity.

Old
02-03-2012, 01:28 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

The Pirates signed Tallet today. I don't know how this guy manages to keep his career going.

Old
02-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Cross over to the Elite, make yourself hot
The topic of discussion in every PM box
It's a secret society, all we ask is trust

Old
02-03-2012, 03:00 PM
trellaine201

Arbitration?

Hmm do we have anyone going to arbitration? Or did we get them all worked out? And when is the hearing?

Old
02-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
The Pirates signed Tallet today. I don't know how this guy manages to keep his career going.
If you're left handed and you can throw, you can have a long career.

Also, great sign for the Nats. Boras was pushing it with the 5 years for a decent but not great pitcher and the market eventually dried out thanks to all starters that were traded. I was hoping Jays could get him on a 1 year deal but Edwin probably didn't want to come here in a hitters park and face tough batters to increase his value.

Old
02-03-2012, 03:41 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
Hmm do we have anyone going to arbitration? Or did we get them all worked out? And when is the hearing?
I think Janssen was the last person left on the arbitration list. No idea about when the hearing is/was or potential results.

Old
02-03-2012, 04:20 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
If you're left handed and you can throw, you can have a long career.
yeah. Looking back, Tallet's career best year had a WAR of 1.0, but most of the time he's been basically replacement level (career WAR of -0.1) but he's still had essentially a 10 year career. Being a lefty is probably a part of that And the rest is probably a "devil you know" sort of situation. Teams would rather sign Tallet knowing they'll get replacement level left-handed relief out of him than pick up some unknown from the minors and risk him failing at the major league level.

Really there are 4 things that will keep you pitching in the major leagues far longer than a low talent level should allow:

1) Be a lefty
2) Be a fireballer (95-96+ at least)
3) Have a rare or trick pitch (knuckler is the prime example. It seems though that guys who can throw splitters are getting there too as the splitter has died out in terms of usage)
4) Be flexible enough to play multiple bullpen roles (spot starter, long relief, middle relief, specializing)

Quote:
Also, great sign for the Nats. Boras was pushing it with the 5 years for a decent but not great pitcher and the market eventually dried out thanks to all starters that were traded. I was hoping Jays could get him on a 1 year deal but Edwin probably didn't want to come here in a hitters park and face tough batters to increase his value.
Agreed. He's holding out for another crack at the big payday, and the NL and the Nats' bigger park are better for him in that regard.

Old
02-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Loso

Apparently Manny is deciding between the Jays, As and Os.

BARF

Old
02-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I'll take him. Play every day LF.

Old
02-03-2012, 04:26 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic View Post
Would be fun thats for sure.

He's still got it, he'll be a good addition whether its as a starter or semi-everday guy, as long as the clubhouse is stable.

Old
02-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I just want to be entertained. Manny will bring the lulz. That said, I'm sure AA doesn't want anything to do with that sideshow.

Old
02-03-2012, 04:30 PM
topched

Quote:
I just want to be entertained. Manny will bring the lulz. That said, I'm sure AA doesn't want anything to do with that sideshow.
If he somehow ended up here, you can be sure the homework would be thoroughly completed.

Farrell would also be the one giving it two thumbs up... likely knows Manny inside and out.

Old
02-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Loso

OBP is the best you could hope for from him.

Old
02-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

He will come back and hit 36 homeruns, 120 RBI's and a whole lot of steroids will be found.

Old
02-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Morrow and Cecil might start crying if that happens.

EDIT: I would be fine with a minor league deal or maybe even a major league one as long as he is strictly a DH. Jays would have 50 games to open room for him but I wouldn't rely on him to do much.

Closed Thread