HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2011 off-season: Fielder to Detroit 9/214 ROFL! Jays sign (P) F. Cordero 1 yr 4.5M

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2012, 05:53 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Yeah they could definitely go for it but I think they'll try to fill other position(s). If Rivera retires, they will need to spend money on the pen, re-sign Swisher or find a replacement etc... their own players will get more expensive as well through arbitration and stuff.

They'll probably be in on Hamels and Cain but I don't think they would be willing to make a massive overpayment.
That's true. I believe Cano is also a free agent at the end of the year and I'm sure he won't be cheap to keep around.

Old
01-24-2012, 05:56 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
That's true. I believe Cano is also a free agent at the end of the year and I'm sure he won't be cheap to keep around.

There is a club option on Cano for 2013 season. 15 mill I believe.

Either way a deal will have to get done soon and he will not be cheap.

Old
01-24-2012, 05:57 PM
ryno23

Quote:
Yes Votto will be older. He also has an athletic body that will most likely hold up much better than Fielder. He's a good defensive 1B which Fielder is not. He's Canadian and one of the best in baseball so it makes it more appealing IMO for the Jays to target him if they feel the need to address 1B when the time comes. Who knows maybe next year Cinci wants to clear some payroll and AA just trades for him. But how can you say he'll likely get 7 years? No one has the slightest idea what he'll want. If he wants 20 million that's still 3+million less than Fielder. I'd be happy to sign Votto to a 5 yr deal for 100 million. Falls in line with what the Jays have said they are willing to do and they can throw in a couple of option years if they feel so inclined.
Don't think for one second that Votto will be giving the Jays a Canada discount. No way he is doing 5/100 He sees the market and that contract could be his last contract so he will be all in. Who cares about their body type. Did Tony Gwynn have a great body type, Kirby Puckett hell even Wade Boggs was no greek god but what can all those 3 players do? HIT HIT and HIT and that is why the DH is a great thing helped Edgar Martinez become an almost HOF player.

Old
01-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post

I believe he is a Boras client too so you know he will get squeeze every penny out of the Yankees.

Old
01-24-2012, 06:07 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:

well even that club option is expensive so if they are trying to manage their money his contract won't help matters.

Old
01-24-2012, 06:09 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
Don't think for one second that Votto will be giving the Jays a Canada discount. No way he is doing 5/100 He sees the market and that contract could be his last contract so he will be all in. Who cares about their body type. Did Tony Gwynn have a great body type, Kirby Puckett hell even Wade Boggs was no greek god but what can all those 3 players do? HIT HIT and HIT and that is why the DH is a great thing helped Edgar Martinez become an almost HOF player.
I based the contract off of you saying what if Votto wants 20 million. . Whatever keep believing Rogers is cheap or whatever complaint you have now.

Old
01-24-2012, 06:14 PM
darko

Quote:
well even that club option is expensive so if they are trying to manage their money his contract won't help matters.

A-Rod takes a pay cut in 2013 (from 30 mill to 29), another pay cut in 2014 (29 to 26) and then another in 2015 to 22 mill. That's gotta help right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
I believe he is a Boras client too so you know he will get squeeze every penny out of the Yankees.

Yup he is.

Old
01-24-2012, 06:15 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
A-Rod takes a pay cut in 2013 (from 30 mill to 29), another pay cut in 2014 (29 to 26) and then another in 2015 to 22 mill. That's gotta help right?

Yup he is.
I guess in NY those would be considered bargains.

Old
01-24-2012, 06:19 PM
shully
Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic View Post
Not a fluke. Just.....you always wonder about anyone who breaks out, can they always continue to do it? I know he probably can, but then you think of what he was....

gotta be steroids.
Sarcasm I hope? Sorry hard to tell online haha

Old
01-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Buddio
CFC

vCash: 900
The only thing fatter then that contract is his ass.

Old
01-24-2012, 07:01 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

detroit is crazy

Old
01-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shully View Post
Sarcasm I hope? Sorry hard to tell online haha
Corked bats?

Old
01-24-2012, 07:06 PM
Nazem Bozak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysfanatic View Post
Corked bats?
guy in the white shirt?

Old
01-24-2012, 07:11 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai Schenn View Post
guy in the white shirt?
Oh yeah, definitely him.

Old
01-24-2012, 07:56 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Just read the article on blue jays.com about the signing of Cordero and apparently he turned down an offer from Cinci for 2yrs 12 million in hopes of getting a better deal. Ouch that's got to hurt.

Old
01-24-2012, 08:01 PM
aingefan

Loving the back end of that bullpen, naturally. Closest thing to Ward/Henke in these parts in a long time - couple of fireballers at the back end with good recent pedigrees. Great term and dollars too, which has gotta be very marketable later on if it comes to that.

The term on Fielder's deal seems a bit surprising....with things dragging on this long into the off-season, there was this bit of a feel that teams were digging in their heels, that no one was going to match the desired number of years. Good for Fielder then.

Still leaves a gap on the roster over the next handful of years (big bat) and another starter would be great, for all the reasons mentionned many times before. Would be nice to have in place yesterday, but not easy to come by.

Now that the bullpen is overflowing, it suggests that maybe there's a deal in the works? There's at least 9 legit arms there, plus an additional handful at the AA/AAA/ML cusp, an extra outfielder or two, Cooper. Maybe some other Rasmus/Escobar situation has brewed somewhere for some currently undervalued corner outfielder, 1B or DH.

Other options for that kinda bat might be the two Cuban kids - Cespedes and Soler. Both project well, Cespedes more toolsy, Soler further away, maybe more power potential. Not immediate help, but said to be potential impact bats.

Wonder where attention turns now.

Quiet, gradual adds this off-season, team's seeming better than last years model - though, remember, coming into last year Rauch/Dotel and Francisco all were coming off very nice years so it looked pretty good then too with maybe one less question mark entering the season in the rotation.

Old
01-24-2012, 08:09 PM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

top 5 bullpen, top 5 offense, top 20(?) rotation. Were on our way...

Old
01-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSaiyanBeastmode View Post
Top 10 rotation if they get their **** together.

Old
01-24-2012, 08:16 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSaiyanBeastmode View Post
Disagree about the offense. I'd say top ten. The crappy thing is three of the top five teams in baseball are in the Jays division.

Old
01-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Disagree about the offense. I'd say top ten. The crappy thing is three of the top five teams in baseball are in the Jays division.
Weren't they top 5 last year in runs scored? I think it has potential to be top 5 offense depending on Rasmus/Lawrie/Lind years.

Old
01-24-2012, 08:35 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Fielder become only the 3rd player ever with a 200 mill + contract joining A-Rod and Pujols. Fielder isn't worth that type of money (neither is A-Rod). Just a hunch but that contract probably becomes an albatross half way through. Good on Detroit for doing it, they have the pieces in place to win it all.
fielders avg salary is 23.7 mill good for 6th in all of baseball which is right where he should be he's in the top 5 hitter in baseball right now imo.

Quote:
They are FA in baseball. Yeah we should have signed Fielder to a brutal contract that would cripple our ability to keep our core together to appease some fans. You should NEVER intentionally sign a player to a bad contract.
people need to realize that in order for us to make the playoffs in the east division were gonna need to have 2 premier hitters + a premier pitch(premier = top 10 in there position) at minimum so if were not willing to spend this type of money for a top 5 player we midaswell become the pittsburgh pirates. we have 1 of the 3 Fielder would have been #2 and all we would have been missing is that top Ace pitcher imo. but like I said in another 3 years when Batista starts declining we will be forced to then find 3 instead of 1 if we got fielder.

Old
01-24-2012, 08:35 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Jays were top 3 or 4 in the AL. I think it was like 6-8 overall for MLB.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
01-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Stan Dupcomic
Thank you come again

so tigers get fielder and all we can do is counter with cordero?

I'm gonna need a bandwagon team next season

Old
01-24-2012, 08:41 PM
trellaine201

Uehara rejects trade to jays lol, prob why we signed Cordero .

FU Uehara!

Old
01-24-2012, 08:42 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Dupcomic View Post
so tigers get fielder and all we can do is counter with cordero?

I'm gonna need a bandwagon team next season

good for you.

The door's over there. Don't let it hit you on the way out. 'Cause I don't really want ass prints on my new door.

Closed Thread