HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Reccomend to me new hockey pants and shin pads

Old
01-24-2012, 09:17 PM
SpringfieldSkins

vCash: 500
Reccomend to me new hockey pants and shin pads

OK, so here's the deal...

I have CCM V10 pants and shins. They are too bulky and really restricting my skating movement when I'm playing. I skate much better when I'm at an open skate then when I'm wearing the CCM stuff.

I'd gladly sacrifice some of the bulk and protection for shins that aren't as large and pants that are more flexible.

So can people who know the fit of the pads recommend a low profile shin and flexible set of pants?

SpringfieldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:10 PM
rwr

I have Easton EQ50 pants. I love em. Doesn't seem to be a difference in mobility from no eqpt

rwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:28 PM
AIREAYE

If you were to move down in price point, it would obviously not be as bulky due to lesser protection. Is the snugness on the waist area bothering you, or the thighs?

Bauer Vapor shins are low profile, as are the newest Easton Stealth series. Some of the older Warrior shins are also very slim (Hustler, Method, Hitman).

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:17 AM
r3cc0s

if you don't play contact... you don't need high levels of protection... I rock whatever is lightest and what is good enough.

Personally my favorite pants are my vintage tackla overtime 3500, but they are simular to the lower end Graf 500...
but honestly, I think that the Bauer One35 is a light pant, with enough features and protection for the perfect shinny/non-contact hockey pant.

I also use a set of Warrior Bentlys, and they're so light, they're barely noticable and I haven't felt any clappers through the pads... they are probably the lightest pant you can buy.... they have no features and are bulky. I don't mind the space... lets the junk stay cool

As for shin-pads... same thing
I like the Easton ST4's cause they're vented, yet light and have just enough protection... otherwise I rock my 5030's but now the padding has worn down after the 150 or so games I've played in them.

I don't wear shoulder pads, I use One15 softie elbows, and use a 3-in-one jock with rbk edge socks and an old Tough-man HT2 helmet w/ a visor
often times I won't even bother with the under shirt, if it isn't too cool in the rink...
I find I perform way better wearing that, than the pro-level stuff I collected: Jofa 9040 elbows, 8500 shoulders, One95 shins, 1052 pants

gloves are worth investing in... I took a hard snap shot on the hand (shot through traffic) and I still felt it through my TPS R8's... so I couldn't imagine how much pain I'd be in if I were wearing some lower end glove w/o the pu inserts.

Last edited by r3cc0s: 01-25-2012 at 12:22 AM.
r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:11 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

i got eastons ST4 on sale. great pants

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Stickmata

I find the CCM pads to be the best out there, but pants wise, I'd look at Tackla 951's if you want a light mid-protection pant. Eastons depend on the model. I had S13 pants that were absolute garbage. My son wears a better Easton model out of Canada they don't sell here and its pretty protective.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Love my Tackla pants. Never felt my shin pads restricted my movement, but Bauers are pretty low profile.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 02:08 AM
IDuck

BIG believer in girdles...they are tight fitting and feel great...best part is you can pick whatever shell you want...i know the big complaint with a girdle is they are "hotter" but i dont notice a huge difference and on mine all the pads come out so i can take them all out and throw the girdle/shell in the washer....also what i did with mine was added some padding for more more protection since i have like 3 old pants that i never use and it has more protection that and pant ive ever worn

IDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 05:05 AM
Faryn

Tackla pants are now distributed as Eagle I believe. They have the same fit and materials all look the same but the cosmetics are a bit different. Both companies are owned by Vaughn.

would really not recommend Warrior shin pads they are just not up to the standards they should be (atleast compared to the other top brands of Bauer, Easton, and CCM/RBK).

As for your problem I would probably go with the Bauer Supreme line of hockey pants and shin guards at about the mid level price line. They are snug fitting and probably the least bulky of all brands IMO they are also on the lighter side as well.

Last edited by Faryn: 01-28-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Faryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 07:48 AM
Guffaw

Bauer Vapor shins are very low profile(see pic at left). I look at some of the shins in the locker room and I don't know how they skate in those things. Some are literally twice as wide.

I have thin legs, play forward, and don't block shots so the Vapor X60 has worked well for me.

Can't go cheap on pants. Tackla Air 9000 help protect my bony hip bones.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:26 PM
SpringfieldSkins

Thanks for all of the replies...

I think the next time I'm at my LHS, I'll take a look at the Bauer and Tackla (pants) lines. I don't think that they sell girdles there but I'm a bit interested in them.

SpringfieldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 10:57 PM
beth

One thing you can try with your existing shins is something that I did to mine - I reformed them to fit my legs better by wrapping duct tape around them tightly and then submersing them in a big tub of (almost) boiling water. Let them cool all the way, take the tape off, and they fit perfect now. I don't even use tape.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 12:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I suppose you could do the same thing with a heat gun too. Would be best to take out the liner. Might weaken the structure a bit if you heat too quickly or too much though. Probably would be fine for rec league I'm sure. Good idea.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 03:21 AM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I suppose you could do the same thing with a heat gun too. Would be best to take out the liner. Might weaken the structure a bit if you heat too quickly or too much though. Probably would be fine for rec league I'm sure. Good idea.
I wouldn't do it with a heat gun. It would be too hard to control the bending of it and probably melt in spots or bend too far. Do it like this... Get a big enough tub that you can submerge your shins in it. And start a big pot of water boiling (I used two big pots of water it'll depend on how big of a tub you have). Take out any removable liners (you can leave in the one that's sewn on) and put your shins on and duct tape them all the way around the shins, snug to your legs in 3 spots down the length of the shin. Mark where the tape overlaps with itself, undo the tape a bit and take the shins off, then cinch back the tape where your marks were. Submerse them in the hot water, which will be just under boiling when you put it in the tub, and then just let them stay there until the water is room temp or overnight or whatever. I did this with my CCM Fit05 shins a year ago.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote