HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Andreas Engqvist sent down (Feb. 1)

Old
01-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Iwishihadacup

vCash: 500
Andreas Engqvist sent down (Feb. 1)

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/333934.html

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:35 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Yay....

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Season saved!!

In all seriousness, he's looked good in the AHL, lets see how he does here.

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Beakermania*

With Moen and Nokaleinen both doubtful for tomorrow... someone was needed and he was playing well in Hamilton and has always been a Cunneyworth favorite.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:45 PM
PricePkPatch

Now trade Moen and call up Leblanc!

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Leblanc should spend the rest of the season in Hamilton for his development. Time to unload the UFA's, maybe trade a vet or two and call up some borderline guys from Hamilton to see what they got.

Palushaj, Avtsin, Engqvist, Dumont, Willsie, St-Denis... Let's test those guys and see if they have what it takes.

We know that Leblanc and Gallagher will make the NHL some day.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:59 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
He has been killing it in the AHL lately apparently. So nice move, hopefully he can show the offensive side of his game this time.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

I'm good with giving him another try. He gained some confidence by playing well above average in the AHL. Hope he does better this time around.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:19 PM
hockeyfan2k11

This team really needs to address their lack of depth. It's disgusting.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Andy

He definitely deserves it.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:24 PM
MXD

While he arguably deserves it considering what he did in Hamilton, and that having one more natural center make sense, I'm puzzled as to why they haven't called up Dumont instead. That should be the evaluation period...

Last edited by MXD: 01-24-2012 at 10:29 PM.
MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:26 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
This team really needs to address their lack of depth. It's disgusting.
That's what happens when a GM continuously gave away draft picks and conducted trades that ended up with us getting little to nothing in return.

This is the Gauthier master plan in action.

****ing disgusting.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:30 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
That's what happens when a GM continuously gave away draft picks and conducted trades that ended up with us getting little to nothing in return.

****ing disgusting.
For all the draft picks given up... he also added

A former first rounder in Eller
A former 2nd rounder in Palushaj
Two former 3rd rounders in Shultz and Bournival.

But people don't talk about these when we talk bout all the draft picks traded away.

They also seem to conviently forget how Diaz and Desharnais are both important parts of the team who were undrafted and signed.

Engqvist is another undrafted player who was brought in.

But its okay... doesn't fit with the narrative that management is ruinning the future.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:36 PM
poetryinmotion

I was hoping it would be Avtsin

edit: I just saw in the BD thread he is day-to-day

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post

But people don't talk about these when we talk bout all the draft picks traded away.

They also seem to conviently forget how Diaz and Desharnais are both important parts of the team who were undrafted and signed.

But its okay... doesn't fit with the narrative that management is ruinning the future.
Don't forget that even if we had retained the draft picks under Gauthier's tenure, they would probably be too young to even be in the AHL right now so it's a moot point.(Gauthier's first draft year was the Tinordi one, everyone in there is still more or less too young or would be too young or not seasoned enough to even be in the ahl).

If you want to argue that he's moved prospects, that is also moot unless you want to argue that Maxwell and Trotter are significant pieces that can actually help?

You could take the O'byrne, Lapierre, Sergei and D'agostini route I guess, but these guys weren't prospects as they had several nhl seasons under their belt. He screwed up in the Sergei case, I didn't agree with the Lapierre trade in the sense that he shouldn't have been traded, but he got returns in O'byrne and D'agostini.

Considering that next year we will see Gallagher, Bournival, Ellis, Kristo Tinordi, Bennett and maybe even Beaulieu graduate to the AHL level, I think the habs are doing pretty decent(and I'm being rather tame in my claim here) in the "youth" depth department.

To blame the lack of current AHL depth on "the wasting of picks and prospects" by Gauthier is a gross exaggeration, but like you said, this appears to be the narrative. Those picks are not likely to even be old enough to be in the ahl and Gauthier hasn't moved any significant prospect with the capacity of playing a greater role that "being a body in the lineup".

Habs lack of depth in the ahl is caused by the fact taht Weber, Eller, Subban, Pacioretty, Desharnais and White all graduated last year. These guys were all part of the habs top prospects just last year. Like I said, Hamilton will be replenished next year.

Last edited by Andy: 01-24-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old
01-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Pleky Roks

I'm hoping this means a defencemen will be moved (Gill, Campoli, Weber) and instead of dressing 7 defencemen with 11 forwards every game Engqvist will be inserted into the lineup to make it 6 d-men and 12 forwards!!

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:42 PM
MXD

Quote:

The thing is, a better player than Palushaj could have been drafted with those picks (Bournival isn't in the pros yet. Situation looks dire now, but next season, Pateryn, Bournival, Ellis, Quailer, Gallagher, Beaulieu (unless there something I just don't understand) and possibly Kristo) will join the 'Dogs (Quailer MIGHT spend some time in the ECHL, though).

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:46 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
While he arguably deserves it considering what he did in Hamilton, and that having one more natural center make sense, I'm puzzled as to why they haven't called up Dumont instead. That should be the evaluation period...
This is what happens when you have a coach and management staff that are trying hard as hell to keep their jobs. They're still gunning for the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

****ing disgusting.
Yes.

Quote:

2nd and a 5th for Wiz. 2nd for Moore. 7th for Nokes. 5th for Mara. 4th for Sopel.

Diaz was signed to play in the AHL. Why exactly is Gauthier getting props for Desharnais? He's been in the Habs organization since 07. Why is he on this team? Again, lack of center depth. This team has no depth and has traded picks away when they should have been stocking up on them.

Gauthier is a bad GM no matter how you slice it.

Max Lapierre discarded like a piece of garbage for a 5th....his replacement becomes Enqvist...who can't cut it....is sent down...then we trade a 7th and a scrub for Nokes and a scrub who's a healthy scratch.

I won't mention trading Sergei for nothing, Pouillot gone (not that I thought he was great) but he's another young player who was discarded for nothing.

And at bringing up Schultz. He will never play a game with this franchise.

LOL

Old
01-24-2012, 10:56 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
This is what happens when you have a coach and management staff that are trying hard as hell to keep their jobs. They're still gunning for the playoffs.

Yes.

2nd and a 5th for Wiz. 2nd for Moore. 7th for Nokes. 5th for Mara. 4th for Sopel.

Diaz was signed to play in the AHL. Why exactly is Gauthier getting props for Desharnais? He's been in the Habs organization since 07. Why is he on this team? Again, lack of center depth. This team has no depth and has traded picks away when they should have been stocking up on them.

Gauthier is a bad GM no matter how you slice it.

Max Lapierre discarded like a piece of garbage for a 5th....his replacement becomes Enqvist...who can't cut it....is sent down...then we trade a 7th and a scrub for Nokes and a scrub who's a healthy scratch.

I won't mention trading Sergei for nothing, Pouillot gone (not that I thought he was great) but he's another young player who was discarded for nothing.

And at bringing up Schultz. He will never play a game with this franchise.

LOL
Even if Schultz is a bust, you are assuming that every draft pick traded away would have been a productive NHL player, and none of those guys would have been busts either.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:58 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Don't forget that even if we had retained the draft picks under Gauthier's tenure, they would probably be too young to even be in the AHL right now so it's a moot point.(Gauthier's first draft year was the Tinordi one, everyone in there is still more or less too young or would be too young or not seasoned enough to even be in the ahl).

If you want to argue that he's moved prospects, that is also moot unless you want to argue that Maxwell and Trotter are significant pieces that can actually help?

You could take the O'byrne, Lapierre, Sergei and D'agostini route I guess, but these guys weren't prospects as they had several nhl seasons under their belt. He screwed up in the Sergei case, I didn't agree with the Lapierre trade in the sense that he shouldn't have been traded, but he got returns in O'byrne and D'agostini.

Considering that next year we will see Gallagher, Bournival, Ellis, Kristo Tinordi, Bennett and maybe even Beaulieu graduate to the AHL level, I think the habs are doing pretty decent(and I'm being rather tame in my claim here) in the "youth" depth department.

To blame the lack of current AHL depth on "the wasting of picks and prospects" by Gauthier is a gross exaggeration, but like you said, this appears to be the narrative. Those picks are not likely to even be old enough to be in the ahl and Gauthier hasn't moved any significant prospect with the capacity of playing a greater role that "being a body in the lineup".

Habs lack of depth in the ahl is caused by the fact taht Weber, Eller, Subban, Pacioretty, Desharnais and White all graduated last year. These guys were all part of the habs top prospects just last year. Like I said, Hamilton will be replenished next year.
100% agreed

Next season

At forward
AHL eligible: Gallagher, Bournival, Holland. And possibly Kristo and Qualier.

On Defence
AHL eligible: Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, Pateryn. Possibly Kishel, Nygren

There is a massive influx of talent coming and its going to replenish all the guys who have recently graduated.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:05 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Even if Schultz is a bust, you are assuming that every draft pick traded away would have been a productive NHL player, and none of those guys would have been busts either.
Not saying that. I'd rather have the option of drafting my guy than to take another team's scrub.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Andy

Quote:
Not saying that. I'd rather have the option of drafting my guy than to take another team's scrub.
Still doesn't change the fact that you are assuming that the pick will be able to play in the nhl.

Also, like I said earlier, any whining about picks moved under Gauthier is almost entirely moot because those players would probably too young or unseasoned to even be in the ahl at such a young age(considering all of Gauthier's picks are still with their junior teams or are overseas), thus not even helping the lack of ahl depth this season. In other words, explaining that lack of depth in the ahl because Gauthier traded picks is not a very strong explanation for why there are so little prospects in the ahl right now. Hell how many players from 2010 and 2011 draft are playing in the ahl right now?

If you said that the problem was that we had 6 of our top prospects graduate last season, then you'd be saying something fruitful.

The problem easily gets solved next year with an influx of players graduating from juniors.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:26 PM
Andy

I checked out the 2010 draft: Only 8 players in the three first rounds are playing in the ahl. That is 8% of players of the first 90 players are playing in the ahl.

So let's not blame this year's lack of ahl depth on the fact that Gauthier traded 2010 draft picks. According to Wikipedia, the draft picks Gauthier traded for the 2010 draft were a 2nd round pick with his first to move up in the first round. The second round pikc he traded for Moore was in 2011. All other picks moved in 2010 were not moved by Gauther(at least according to wikipedia).

So again to say there is no ahl depth because of Gauthier moving picks is false, unless you want to compile a list of all the players drafted in 2011 currently playing in the ahl.

Last edited by Andy: 01-24-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old
01-24-2012, 11:38 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I checked out the 2010 draft: Only 8 players in the three first rounds are playing in the ahl. That is .08% of players of the first 90 players are playing in the ahl.

So let's not blame this year's lack of ahl depth on the fact that Gauthier traded 2010 draft picks. According to Wikipedia, the draft picks Gauthier traded for the 2010 draft were a 2nd round pick with his first to move up in the first round. The second round pikc he traded for Moore was in 2011.

So again to say there is no ahl depth because of Gauthier moving picks is false, unless you want to compile me a list all the players drafted in 2011 currently playing in the ahl.
Hate to nit-pick, but 8 of 90 is 8% not .08%. Your point is still valid, though

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Hate to nit-pick, but 8 of 90 is 8% not .08%. Your point is still valid, though
Sorry you are right, forgot to multiply .08 by 100. Thanks I'll edit that.