HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andreas Engqvist sent down (Feb. 1)

Old
01-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess View Post
Sergei Kostitsyn, Grabovsky, Ribeiro, etc, etc.. all traded because of "issues" when these could have been resolved by proper player management. Definitely one thing the GMs could improve on, and not use the media circus and fan frenzy as an excuse for their behaviours. Hire the right guys for the job!
Ribeiro's biggest problem was with the rockstar status he had in Montreal plus off ice issues. Had little to do with mangement.

SK was high maintenance and not very productive. You can't blame mangement for the fact that he didn't produce despite numerous chances here. 155 GP 24-44-68

Grabovsky wasn't happy with his role here and wanted to go back to the KHL. They got good return(2nd and Pateryn) for a guy who had no NHL success at that point.

Ribiero is the only one we miss skillwise, but he wouldn't have developped like that had he stayed here.

Last edited by hototogisu: 01-25-2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: careful
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:23 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inf1n1te View Post
Him again? Haven't they learned anything from his previous call-ups? Boring and terrible player to watch...
I like how people complain we're not patient enough with our prospects and then say we've seen all there is to see from Engqvist after an 11 game stint in the NHL. Precious.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Ribeiro's biggest problem was with the rockstar status he had in Montreal plus off ice substances. Had little to do with mangement.

SK was high maintenance and not very productive. You can't blame mangement for the fact that he didn't produce despite numerous chances here. 155 GP 24-44-68

Grabovsky wasn't happy with his role here and wanted to go back to the KHL. They got good return(2nd and Pateryn) for a guy who had no NHL success at that point.

Ribiero is the only one we miss skillwise, but he wouldn't have developped like that had he stayed here.

all those players are scoring 50 pts a year or more....most over 20 goals a year.

Higgins is on pace for 45-50 pts this year...
trouble or not, the returns we got for the whole lot of them , was beyond SUCK

Even Ryan McDonagh is on track for 35 pts.

There is a reason we stare at last place ....

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I like how people complain we're not patient enough with our prospects and then say we've seen all there is to see from Engqvist after an 11 game stint in the NHL. Precious.
It is also funny how we all (myself included) will talk about multiple prospects/players that once traded away from Montreal seem to become super stars in other markets.

It is the same for all teams in the NHL, we expect too much, but for every Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg that was drafted in latter rounds, there are 10 players that only ever reach the ECHL/AHL level and thats it.

We have finished in the middle of the pack in the NHL for way to long, our draft picks resemble my refridgerator and cupboards about 4 days after grocery day, it's whats left, so lets make the best of it. No steak, just leftovers.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:47 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Ribeiro's biggest problem was with the rockstar status he had in Montreal plus off ice issues. Had little to do with mangement.

Management isn't responsible with dealing with rockstar status entitlement? Since when?

The Pens did very well to deal with Crosby and whatever could have happened. It's maybe means babysitting them, but it's also an active management tactic to hold.

It's not the perfect solution, but it's damn better than to throw a star kid into the Montreal clubtown with no parachute and a notification that he's to show up tomorrow morning at the arena for training.

Youth management has been a disaster in Montreal for years simply because of the passive attitude we held. It's damn time we do something!

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:19 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Sucks for Hamilton, they have a huge game on Friday vs the marlies.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

I love this guy.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Management isn't responsible with dealing with rockstar status entitlement? Since when?

The Pens did very well to deal with Crosby and whatever could have happened. It's maybe means babysitting them, but it's also an active management tactic to hold.

It's not the perfect solution, but it's damn better than to throw a star kid into the Montreal clubtown with no parachute and a notification that he's to show up tomorrow morning at the arena for training.

Youth management has been a disaster in Montreal for years simply because of the passive attitude we held. It's damn time we do something!
What do you want mangement to do? Tell fans and puckbunnies and tabloids to stop following him?

Crosby was dealing with rock star status since he was 15, much more mature.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:17 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Still doesn't change the fact that you are assuming that the pick will be able to play in the nhl.

Also, like I said earlier, any whining about picks moved under Gauthier is almost entirely moot because those players would probably too young or unseasoned to even be in the ahl at such a young age(considering all of Gauthier's picks are still with their junior teams or are overseas), thus not even helping the lack of ahl depth this season. In other words, explaining that lack of depth in the ahl because Gauthier traded picks is not a very strong explanation for why there are so little prospects in the ahl right now. Hell how many players from 2010 and 2011 draft are playing in the ahl right now?

If you said that the problem was that we had 6 of our top prospects graduate last season, then you'd be saying something fruitful.

The problem easily gets solved next year with an influx of players graduating from juniors.

On one hand, you say that there is no guarantee that those picks would have made the NHL.

On the other hand, you and your Gauthier supporters are rattling off names of players who will be AHL eligible in Hamilton and who will save the Montreal Canadiens.

Cant have it both ways.

The reality is that we are very thin and this happened with Gauthier at the helm. Engqvist getting a thread of his own is proof how some are excited over a player that will not do much......but he was brought here by Gauthier.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Jesse Pinkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
That's what they said about Pacioretty the first time. Just saying, be a little more patient.
I know, but they called up Engqvist about 3 times this season? He brought nothing to the team, they could have at least given a chance to someone else instead (Dumont).

Jesse Pinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
He'll be back with the dogs 'cause the Habs are in all-star break.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:59 PM
bentheprop

Quote:
I know, but they called up Engqvist about 3 times this season? He brought nothing to the team, they could have at least given a chance to someone else instead (Dumont).
He's also not going to be playing under JM this time so he doesn't have to worry about only getting benched if he makes a small mistake. Some people on this board really need to take their hate-colored glasses off and give the kid a chance. Besides if it's only going to be for one game why bother calling up someone new to try to evaluate them over that short of a period?

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:09 PM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
He'll be back with the dogs 'cause the Habs are in all-star break.
Hope they care enough to send him back.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Maxpac

Was it so hard to call up a tough winger to replace Moen on the 4th line?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Was it so hard to call up a tough winger to replace Moen on the 4th line?
Blunden is in MOntreal.

Moen is injured.

White is injured.

Conboy is injured.

Ian Shultz is not ready yet.

How many "tough wingers" do you think the team has in the system? There is a 50 contract limit.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Nothing except pretty much mistake-free, boring hockey (probably exactly what he thought he needed to play to impress Martin). With Engqvist though, it's not so much about what he has "brought" to date, and more about where his development curve might take him. Many people wrote him off two years ago in terms of any offensive potential whatsoever. Just this year however, after getting his taste of NHL action, he has pretty much tripled his AHL point productivity from just one year ago. That even surprised me, and I've been kind of high on him from the beginning.

I think he's on the cusp of turning into a solid 4th (maybe even 3rd) line centre. He just turned 24 last month, and given how closely he seems to be following the usual trend for bigger players coming into their own, I think it'd be folly to write off Engqvist; especially when he apparently has gotten the hint that defensive responsibility must come with some offensive production in order to stick at the top level.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:50 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Blunden is in MOntreal.

Moen is injured.

White is injured.

Conboy is injured.

Ian Shultz is not ready yet.

How many "tough wingers" do you think the team has in the system? There is a 50 contract limit.
This and also Habs are playing against the Red Wings it's not like this was a team that is gooning their way to victory in games.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Can't they send him back down for the all-star break? No reason to keep him if the team isn't playing

Quote:
You'd rather bring up the guy that struggles in AHL (Dumont) over the one that excels there?

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:50 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
the FUTURE doesn't look very bright I'll tell ya that.

I don't care look at Hamilton, Louie won't save the Habs future..
Just like Latendresse didn't save Montreal.There's nothing coming up that is a game
breaker.Pretty much just more of the same thing over all these losing years...

Fact is , Habs got some solid PROSPECTS coming along, but just like SK, Grabovski, Riberio,Higgins,McDonagh , you get my drift....

What good is drafting them , if you cant manage them PROPERLY.
No Leblanc probably wont but he will be a part of that team that climbs out of this mess. Who we draft this season will be the main part. Who was the last top 5 pick we had? Just a little player called Carey Price. Imagine if we get someone of such talent in a forward position. It changes the whole dynamic of the team.

Outside of Mcdonagh those players are worthless, headcases and third liners. We have a pile of almost NHL ready prospects so we wont have to fill holes outside of the organization. We can trade from a position of strength with such assets.

The future is bright, unless you aren't.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
No Leblanc probably wont but he will be a part of that team that climbs out of this mess. Who we draft this season will be the main part. Who was the last top 5 pick we had? Just a little player called Carey Price. Imagine if we get someone of such talent in a forward position. It changes the whole dynamic of the team.

Outside of Mcdonagh those players are worthless, headcases and third liners. We have a pile of almost NHL ready prospects so we wont have to fill holes outside of the organization. We can trade from a position of strength with such assets.

The future is bright, unless you aren't.
wow dude, I've seen you post since i'm here and I would not recognize you if you had a new username, your posting changed so much

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 07:25 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Leblanc should spend the rest of the season in Hamilton for his development. Time to unload the UFA's, maybe trade a vet or two and call up some borderline guys from Hamilton to see what they got.

Palushaj, Avtsin, Engqvist, Dumont, Willsie, St-Denis... Let's test those guys and see if they have what it takes.

We know that Leblanc and Gallagher will make the NHL some day.
Avtsyn?? Willsie?? With the Habs??? Really???

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:24 PM
danyhabsfan

Now I know why he was called up

Call up "the Swedish "Engqvist
Tell him to get Zetterberg, Holmstrom, Franzen, Eriksson, Kronwall drunk.
Profit (4-0 after the 1st period)

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
Now I know why he was called up

Call up "the Swedish "Engqvist
Tell him to get Zetterberg, Holmstrom, Franzen, Eriksson, Kronwall drunk.
Profit (4-0 after the 1st period)
Gauthier is a genius

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Avtsyn?? Willsie?? With the Habs??? Really???
Yes, really. But you have to understand that I'm not one who wants to waste a great opportunity for a good pick this year like the team has been doing for 15 years! I want to get into that lottery for one year only, this year. I want to trade the UFA's, get some young guys up giving their best to show what they can do. We know what Leblanc and Gallagher will do. We don't know about the other young guys.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:40 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Yes, really. But you have to understand that I'm not one who wants to waste a great opportunity for a good pick this year like the team has been doing for 15 years! I want to get into that lottery for one year only, this year. I want to trade the UFA's, get some young guys up giving their best to show what they can do. We know what Leblanc and Gallagher will do. We don't know about the other young guys.
Dumont and Avtsin haven't figured out the AHL yet. They'd get smoked playing in the NHL which isn't good for anyone's development.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote