HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Thomas Hickey, a bust?

Old
02-13-2013, 02:48 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Based

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Knoll has written Hickey off at virtually every turn for a while now. It's not enough to call the kid a disappointment (which he is and I alluded to that earlier in this thread), he's had him labelled a bust for years now.

And I agree, bump a thread from a year ago just to further slam the kid. But yeah, it looks brilliant to do so when he's actually in the NHL and is seeing more ice time per game as the season goes along.

I'm not expecting he'll be on Team Canada at the Olympics down the line, but becoming a career #4-6 defenseman who plays 700+ games, ala Jason Woolley isn't out of the question. Worth a top 4 pick? No. A bust? Hardly.
he's a bust i don't know why you guys can't just say it, he's not good

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:48 PM
Grasshopperking
Oh salad days

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
If Hickey was Drafted were he should have gone.....15th to 25th...

Not one of you would care what the hell this kid is doing.

It's Dean Lombardi's fault Hickey was drafted where he was.

NOT HICKEY"S.

He is currently playing in the NHL, There are a plenty of hockey players that can't say the same.

O look a First round Defensive player took a long time to develop(and he still might not be done)....Shocking I know.
Leave Hickey alone!

Grasshopperking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:41 PM
SI90

Hes all of 23 years old....I have been impressed with him thus far..

SI90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:43 PM
SI90

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
man if you would have seen Chara at 23 you would have said he was abust too...

some people take more time thsn others...

Old
02-13-2013, 04:48 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Is he not living up to expectations? Yes.
Are there defenseman who were taken later in the draft that I'd rather have over him? Sure.

Does that mean he's a bust? No.

We won't know whether he's a bust or not until he is traded for scraps, placed on waivers, or retires. Even then, some of those aren't surefire methods of knowing (like in the case of Grabner).
Wasn't he just waived and claimed by NYI ?

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:00 PM
bigd

After watching him with the Islanders my read on him is he's a good player but not great. He skates well and makes good passes but sometimes makes poor decissions on when to join the rush or stay back. He's an offensive D-man so if he cant produce points he won't make it in the NHL. He's too small to be a defensive shut down D-man.

bigd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:08 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheru View Post
It's a small sample, but so far Thomas Hickey has been the Islanders' best territorial defenseman. Certainly a better option than Carkner and Finley.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...34+45+46+63+67

Strange to see anyone writing him off after 8 games because of his plus minus. He is young, and his career is hardly over.
He's hardly been their "best teritorial defenseman". He's been ok for a 5-6 Dman, not bad but not great.

bigd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
Wasn't he just waived and claimed by NYI ?
Good thing I posted that over a year ago.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:07 PM
seafoam
The Real Winner

vCash: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
Well for the people who said he could make *some* team, you were right! He is a No. 7 DMan on arguably the least talented team in the Eastern Conference. He's toting a nice -5 rating with six shots and four hits in eight games. The guy really has no discernible strength at the pro level, unfortunately.
Have you watched any Isles games this year?

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:39 PM
Brooklanders*

Hickey has played well but he is nothing special. Visnovsky is really a skilled guy who clearly overshadows him and even Streit. Strait is the best waiver wire pick up so far followed by Aucoin.
Hickey is a solid player and is a 5th D man at best. Based on his position in the draft and ability/production its difficult not to label him a bust. However he should be considered more of an underachiever than bust. But lets give the guy a legitimate chance. This is his 1st NHL season and has shown some flashes along with solid potential to improve. Hickey size combined with his lack of physicality is a minus but he has good instincts and a pretty good Hockey IQ. I also think his above average skating ability makes up for his lack of physical play.

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:02 PM
Parise9Crosby87

yeah surpised aucion is playing well

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:13 AM
kingsfan
Yes my liege!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthroughforest View Post
Yeah, no.
His NHL career was over because of a massive concussion he received from Shane Doan. He scored 11 points in 19 games leading up to that hit as a 21 year old. Never returned back to that form.
Yeah, no. Tzachuk was never really that good, from junior on. The numbers look very good, but I watched him from before his draft year right through until he left the Blues organization, he just wasn't an NHL player, concussion or not.

Quote:
If you'd read this thread, no one is saying he's a star or anything, just saying that he could still have an NHL career and be around for several seasons. Disappointment, sure, but not a bust.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:31 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Based

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
man if you would have seen Chara at 23 you would have said he was abust too...

some people take more time thsn others...
Chara wasn't a 4th overall pick

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:10 AM
SI90

Quote:
Chara wasn't a 4th overall pick
fair point but, development can still take awhile for anyone....

Old
02-14-2013, 07:28 AM
Felix Unger
formerly Dan-o16

Hickey doesn't really play any role. He's undersized. He's not a puck-moving wizard. He's not got the best defensive stick. He's good positionally, weak in battles, a good skater, and makes safe passes. That makes him a replacement level player. I don't see much of a difference between Hickey and other players we've had like him... say Jack Hillen or Chris Campoli. In fact, he may have less flair than Hillen and Campoli.

When you can't even really play a big role other than filler on the lowly Islanders as a fourth overall pick, I think that's a bust.

Cheers,

Dan-

Felix Unger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:03 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Hickey doesn't really play any role. He's undersized. He's not a puck-moving wizard. He's not got the best defensive stick. He's good positionally, weak in battles, a good skater, and makes safe passes. That makes him a replacement level player. I don't see much of a difference between Hickey and other players we've had like him... say Jack Hillen or Chris Campoli. In fact, he may have less flair than Hillen and Campoli.

When you can't even really play a big role other than filler on the lowly Islanders as a fourth overall pick, I think that's a bust.

Cheers,

Dan-
Agreed. Watching Hickey play, he isn't a disaster or anything, but he doesn't add a whole lot. I think his career upside is pretty much "serviceable". Right now, he is a #7 or 8 dman. If he keeps working hard, he could be a decent bottom pairing guy. That is about the limit.

And for a #4 pick, that is a bust. I don't think every top-5 pick should be expected to be a star, but you would expect a solid second line/second pair minimum.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:27 PM
MikeT98213

He sees the ice well and is poised with the puck on his stick however he is physically overmatched and, on the Isles, they just can't afford to have a guy who is so easily bumped off the puck or outmuscled in front of the net since they do not have a stand on his head goaltender.

He's a nice depth defenseman but in the context of being the 4th player selected, he is the classic definition of a bust.

MikeT98213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:31 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Buskas View Post
great. none of those 4 would be able to crack our top 4 right now anyway. im fine with letting Hickey develop more and more. I'm not a Hickey fan, but there's no reason he couldn't become a poor man's Brian Rafalski, who didn't even play an NHL game until he was 26.
Rafalski not playing in the NHL til 26 is an awful comparable. Rafalski was a small offensive defenceman in an era where every team wanted size and physicality on the backend.

02-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Mythras

I guess it depends on whether you consider his #4 status legit or not. As a #4 pick, his nearest companions are Benoit Pouliot, Nicklas Backstrom, Alex Pietrangelo, and Evander Kane.

However, if you go by his CSS ranking (23rd), he is in slightly better company: Nicklas Bergfors, Semyon Varlamov, Jonathon Blum, Tyler Cuma, Tim Erixson

TL;DR - He shouldn't have been drafted 4th, he still has time to get it together for an nhl career

Mythras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Brooklanders*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Agreed. Watching Hickey play, he isn't a disaster or anything, but he doesn't add a whole lot. I think his career upside is pretty much "serviceable". Right now, he is a #7 or 8 dman. If he keeps working hard, he could be a decent bottom pairing guy. That is about the limit.

And for a #4 pick, that is a bust. I don't think every top-5 pick should be expected to be a star, but you would expect a solid second line/second pair minimum.
This is a pretty good assesment but he still needs experience before we label him a bust

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:08 PM
aemoreira1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
This is a pretty good assesment but he still needs experience before we label him a bust
Sure, but at #4, you're expecting at least some NHL games during the entry-level deal.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Steve Kournianos
@thedraftanalyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Hes all of 23 years old....I have been impressed with him thus far..
He's 24 -- just turned 24.

Six years post draft after being a 4th overall pick, and he's pointless and a -5 in just 8 NHL games. Hed was a healthy scratch last night.

He's a bust.

Steve Kournianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Andrew Knoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Have you watched any Isles games this year?
Yes, I have seen several, although in the most recent one I saw (OT win over NYR) he was scratched. I watch more Atlantic Division games than anything on Center Ice.

He looks a little better than he did in preseason last year, but he still doesn't stand out in any way. I have never really seen him play physical and he is not strong on the puck.

It's funny that someone above basically accused me of riding him. If you want my personal opinion, he was a great kid. I've thought highly of Lombardi's tenure and of course Hickey's success had some bearing on how he was evaluated (up until June, at least).

But I just call it like I see it, the guy is not a top-four defenseman and I think that's a very reasonable expectation for most first rounders, let alone a top five pick. He's been OK but you've got to reach to praise him. The point I was making was not that he'll never stick as a third pairing guy, it was addressing people who said that last season he could be playing on a number of NHL rosters. That just was not accurate.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 05:16 PM
DuklaNation

SHould have drafted Alzner.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 07:58 PM
wickedwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
SHould have drafted Alzner.
The Caps would have a negative point percentage now if they had.

wickedwitch is offline   Reply With Quote