HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Thomas Hickey, a bust?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2012, 12:14 PM
  #126
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Buskas View Post
defensively, mitchell and scuderi are CLEARLY superior to any of the other d you mentioned.
If you're talking about the Rangers defense, you couldn't be more wrong.

Staal - All-Star player last year voted in for his defense.
Girardi - All-Star player this year voted in for his defense
McDonagh - 25 TOI/PG, plays top pairing on best defense in the league.
Sauer - He may not get the reputation because he isn't flashy or a grizzled veteran, but I think he is just as good as anyone else on the Rangers at defense.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 12:15 PM
  #127
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Alzner, Shattenkirk, and Mcdonagh havent proven they can shut down the best players in the league come playoff time while Scuderi and Mitchell have.
Stamkos really hasn't scored well in the playoffs like Brad Richards has too.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 12:19 PM
  #128
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Maybe stay up late and watch a few Kings games. Yes Mitchell and Scuderi are better than them defensively.
How about you catch in some Rangers games? Their defense after all has conceded the least amount of goals in the league relying heavily on McDonagh playing 25+ minutes per game.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 12:29 PM
  #129
Rangers1135
Registered User
 
Rangers1135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,678
vCash: 500
I think he was just trolling man. I'm pretty sure he knows that Shattenkirk and McD are better than them.

Rangers1135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 01:20 PM
  #130
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User
 
Frolov 6'3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 9,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
I'm glad Edmonton got Teubert out of LA and not Hickey.
Edmonton clearly needed a player like Teubert and not Hickey. But dont kid yourself, if it would have been Hickey, he probably would be playing on the Oilers' backend too.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 02:37 PM
  #131
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic
 
ManByng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,535
vCash: 500
if you believe in what Hockey's Future boards have to say, Hickey has a 7.0 C rating...pretty low for a guy who was taken 4th overall. you can find d-men with that ranking in the 2nd round and occasionally lower. i'm glad the Oil didn't trade for him, i think he's overrated, and may never play in the NHL...and if he does, i wonder if he'll ever be able to produce points consistently?

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 03:22 PM
  #132
SFKingshomer
Registered User
 
SFKingshomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 5,936
vCash: 500
I use Hfboards but dont pay any attention to their rankings. I base it off watching games and listening to other knowlegdable fans and scouts opinions

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 04:16 PM
  #133
Ahimsa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Uh huh. Lombardi and staff knew Alzner was more physically ready to be a pro but felt Hickey had more LONG TERM potential. Prospects, especially defenseman are a marathon, not a sprint. We will see in a few years.
It would be interesting to hear how Marc Crawford and the other "staff" who were a part of that decision remember that decision. Whether it was a concensus pick. Could a scout that was very high on Hickey have convinced the group?

Ahimsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 04:18 PM
  #134
Hunter Gathers
Love the Bomb
 
Hunter Gathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ/NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 103,858
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
I wouldn't mind throwing LA a 3rd or 4th round pick for Hickey. Let him develop along with Erixon.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
My MS Excel crashed so I couldn't watch the game. - ReggieDunlop68
Hunter Gathers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 04:43 PM
  #135
SFKingshomer
Registered User
 
SFKingshomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 5,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
It would be interesting to hear how Marc Crawford and the other "staff" who were a part of that decision remember that decision. Whether it was a concensus pick. Could a scout that was very high on Hickey have convinced the group?
Lombardi, Futa, and staff scouted him all season and felt he was the BPA. They mentioned Alzner being more NHL ready but felt he wouldn

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 04:48 PM
  #136
SFKingshomer
Registered User
 
SFKingshomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 5,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
It would be interesting to hear how Marc Crawford and the other "staff" who were a part of that decision remember that decision. Whether it was a concensus pick. Could a scout that was very high on Hickey have convinced the group?
Futa and Lombardi spent all season scouting defenseman and felt Hickey had the most long term potential despite being several years away. Lombardis mentioned it several times that Alzner was more physically mature and NHL ready but they weren't sure how much room he had to grow as a player. What you see is what you get sort of situation. They were going to take Hickey no matter what because to them, he was the BPA. After trying to trade down, they decided to take Hickey at 4 rather than lose him to BOS at 8. Mckenzie stated that two teams besides LA had him in their top 5.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 05:39 PM
  #137
Carlzner
Registered User
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: DC/CO
Country: United States
Posts: 13,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Futa and Lombardi spent all season scouting defenseman and felt Hickey had the most long term potential despite being several years away. Lombardis mentioned it several times that Alzner was more physically mature and NHL ready but they weren't sure how much room he had to grow as a player. What you see is what you get sort of situation. They were going to take Hickey no matter what because to them, he was the BPA. After trying to trade down, they decided to take Hickey at 4 rather than lose him to BOS at 8. Mckenzie stated that two teams besides LA had him in their top 5.

Well im sure those teams are pretty glad Hickey didn't fall to them

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 06:41 PM
  #138
SFKingshomer
Registered User
 
SFKingshomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 5,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Well im sure those teams are pretty glad Hickey didn't fall to them
Yea, I'm sure BOS is thrilled with Zach Hamil. He's closer to a bust than Hickey...

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 06:47 PM
  #139
Carlzner
Registered User
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: DC/CO
Country: United States
Posts: 13,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Yea, I'm sure BOS is thrilled with Zach Hamil. He's closer to a bust than Hickey...
not really..
he's an nhl scratch which is better than anything Hickey has done. He also wasn't picked 4th overall.
Boston also won the cup last year. I dont think they care about Hamill.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 06:49 PM
  #140
SFKingshomer
Registered User
 
SFKingshomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 5,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
not really..
he's an nhl scratch which is better than anything Hickey has done. He also wasn't picked 4th overall.
Boston also won the cup last year. I dont think they care about Hamill.
Hickey has way more potential, get real. Just because LA doesn't need to rush prospects to the NHL, doesn't mean a 22 year old defenseman is a bust.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 07:11 PM
  #141
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Hickey has way more potential, get real. Just because LA doesn't need to rush prospects to the NHL, doesn't mean a 22 year old defenseman is a bust.
How do you gauge this assumption?

Your argument is also invalid about Hamill since he has a total of 17 games played. But yeah, the horrible management in Boston rushing their prospects, just look at how Lucic turned out. Rushed.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 07:15 PM
  #142
SFKingshomer
Registered User
 
SFKingshomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 5,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
How do you gauge this assumption?

Your argument is also invalid about Hamill since he has a total of 17 games played. But yeah, the horrible management in Boston rushing their prospects, just look at how Lucic turned out. Rushed.
I never said they rushed their prospects. People claim Hickey is a bust because he hasn't been recalled but what is the point in calling one of your top prospects up to sit? They believe Martinez and Drewiskie are better off sitting because they have less potential. Hickey's better off in Manchester playing a prominent role than being rushed to the NHL to play 8 minutes a game or be scratched.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 07:19 PM
  #143
SFKingshomer
Registered User
 
SFKingshomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 5,936
vCash: 500
Fact is. No one would claim Hickey were a bust if he wasn't drafted so high. There's been hate towards the kid since LA took a swing on him at #4 rather than lose the player they coveted to BOS or some other team. He was fantastic in a 2nd pairing role with Luke Schenn at his first WJHC but not much was said until he struggled with the pressure of being Canada's captain the year after paired with that plug Teubert.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 07:19 PM
  #144
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
I never said they rushed their prospects. People claim Hickey is a bust because he hasn't been recalled but what is the point in calling one of your top prospects up to sit? They believe Martinez and Drewiskie are better off sitting because they have less potential. Hickey's better off in Manchester playing a prominent role than being rushed to the NHL to play 8 minutes a game or be scratched.
Top prospects always get a cup-of-coffee callup when the injury bug hits. The fact that Hickey hasn't even played one game to get the taste of an NHL game tells you a lot on what management thinks of him.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 07:25 PM
  #145
SFKingshomer
Registered User
 
SFKingshomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 5,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Top prospects always get a cup-of-coffee callup when the injury bug hits. The fact that Hickey hasn't even played one game to get the taste of an NHL game tells you a lot on what management thinks of him.
Thats BS. Management is still very high on the kid. He's behind Martinez and Voynov because of seniority which is huge for DL and staff. Willing to bet money they trade a defenseman or two (Martinez/Drewiskie)to make room for Hickey next season.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 07:32 PM
  #146
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Top prospects always get a cup-of-coffee callup when the injury bug hits. The fact that Hickey hasn't even played one game to get the taste of an NHL game tells you a lot on what management thinks of him.
Here's the thing...LA has not had the injury bug hit that back end at all. The have struggled to even get #7 Martinez(was top 6 to start the year) or #8 Drewiske(only #8 since he can sit and doesnt hurt his development since he is going nowhere) in the lineup since they have been so damn healthy all year. Last year was the same story, with #7 Harrold getting into a total of 19 games played (and he was healthy all year) since eveybody was healthy. If DD, JJ, Martinez last year missed any significant time, it was entirely possible Hickey would have some NHL games, but the great health of the LA d-men in recent years has prevented his cup of coffee.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 07:53 PM
  #147
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Fact is. No one would claim Hickey were a bust if he wasn't drafted so high. There's been hate towards the kid since LA took a swing on him at #4 rather than lose the player they coveted to BOS or some other team. He was fantastic in a 2nd pairing role with Luke Schenn at his first WJHC but not much was said until he struggled with the pressure of being Canada's captain the year after paired with that plug Teubert.
Stop making excuses. Hickey is the oldest player (dman) in the last five years, top five picks, and he has yet to play a game in the nhl, while ALL the other dmen taken in the top five in the last five years are regulars in the nhl, many on the first pairings with their clubs including Adam Larsson who is four years younger than Hickey.

You then go on to say in another post that LA doesnt like to "rush" their prospects, yet had Drew Doughty making the team right out of the draft, stepping over Hickey, and becoming a top pairing dman. Similarly Voynov, who was drafted AFTER Hickey now seems to be a regular in the rotation.

If that doesnt say Hickey has little to no future with the Kings I dont know what does.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 07:55 PM
  #148
Andrew Knoll
Registered User
 
Andrew Knoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,354
vCash: 500
Mitchell missed significant time last year and Doughty missed a few games as well. This year, agreed, they have been healthy outside of Martinez early in the year.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 08:01 PM
  #149
SFKingshomer
Registered User
 
SFKingshomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 5,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Stop making excuses. Hickey is the oldest player (dman) in the last five years, top five picks, and he has yet to play a game in the nhl, while ALL the other dmen taken in the top five in the last five years are regulars in the nhl, many on the first pairings with their clubs including Adam Larsson who is four years younger than Hickey.

You then go on to say in another post that LA doesnt like to "rush" their prospects, yet had Drew Doughty making the team right out of the draft, stepping over Hickey, and becoming a top pairing dman. Similarly Voynov, who was drafted AFTER Hickey now seems to be a regular in the rotation.

If that doesnt say Hickey has little to no future with the Kings I dont know what does.
Figured one of LA's biggest haters would come out sooner or later. Doughty is in another world and Voynov put in more time therefore has SENIORITY which is HUGE to DL. Injuries and depth are the only two reasons Hickey isn't an NHL regular and no LA won't be trading him for twinkle toes Hemsky.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 08:20 PM
  #150
Knight of the Realm
Class
 
Knight of the Realm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Westeros
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,376
vCash: 500
As a Kings fan who is very close to calling Hickey a bust, I think whatever we do with Mitchell an Martinez at the deadline and free agency is going to effect Hickey. IF one is gone Hickey may replace Drewiskie as a 7th Dman. The following Year Scuderi's contract is up.

12-13 IF AMart and Mitchell Stay
DD JJ
WM VV
Scud MG
AMart
(No Hickey)

12-13 If one goes (say AMart)
DD JJ
WM VV
Scud MG
Hickey

12-13 if Both WM and AMart are gone
DD JJ
VV Scud
MG (Hickey)
Drewiskie or ???

13-14 He could Replace Scuderi if WM doesn't sign a 2 year extension to stay in LA
Muzzin, Nic Deslauries will be Knocking on the door and who knows about Forbort


Last edited by Knight of the Realm: 01-29-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.