HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2012 - Draft Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2012, 05:55 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs Forever View Post
Richard in that tier of centres is an interesting proposition. Boucher's certainly got a stronger offense, at a glance anyway, and was great defensively in his own right. It gets tricky with the Richard stuck behind others on the dynasty.
Was Henri Richard really worse offensively than Frank Boucher or did he just not play on the power play? Hard to say.

Old
01-26-2012, 06:04 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
With the 66th pick overall, Inglewood selects Paul Coffey!

And if player-theft isn't allowed in this draft, I'll take what I view as the next best option:

Brian Leetch

Leetch (seen here receiving the Conn Smyth from Count Chocula) is exactly the type of defenseman needed to get the best out of the Gretzky-Kurri combo. A sublimely talented skater with the puck on his stick, Leetch was one of the all-time greats in the transition game. His ability to dodge the forecheck and carry the puck up ice was unreal, and his pin-point passing and underrated scoring ability will serve him well when joining the rush. He's balls-out awesome in the playoffs too.

A 5-time allstar and two-time Norris winner in an incredibly deep era. Only Orr, Coffey, and Kelly have led defensemen in points more times. He, Orr, and Coffey are the only defensemen to average more than a point per game in the playoffs.

He may be best remembered for his 1994 Conn Smyth performance, where he scored a mind-blowing 34 points from the back end, including 5 goals and 6 assists in the finals. Let's not forget his role in the 1996 World Cup, where he captained Team USA to victory with 7 points in 7 games.

But most importantly, Brian Leetch was actually pretty damn good in his own end, using his speed and smarts to thwart opposing teams before calmly moving the puck out of the zone. He was a regular on the PK as well, and logged a TON of minutes nightly. I don't have stats for most of his prime, but he averaged over 27 minutes a night from age 30-37. Leetch was much tougher than he's often given credit for as well, and was noted for his ability to throw beauty hip checks back in the day.

Old
01-26-2012, 06:06 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

nice work arrbez. There are very few circumstances in which I'd pick Leetch over Gadsby and Salming in the ATD, but if I already had Gretzky-Kurri, I'd probably go with Leetch even if given the choice.

I'm assuming you're not going to be a trapping team...

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 01-26-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old
01-26-2012, 06:16 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
I looked at other options, but yeah, you just can't pass up that kind of dominant history together. If Kurri was just a good offensive player in a lucky situation, I would have looked elsewhere. But with his defensive play, consistency, and playoff prowess, the answer was obvious. Of the remaining top-line calibre scorers, he's among the best defensively. And arguably the top guy when you look only at wingers (he has experience playing both wing positions as well, which is nice).
Kurri is outstanding. And obviously a no-brainer best pick to go with Gretzky.

Go find the thread that Hockey Outsider summarized the players who had a top 10 selke and top 10 scoring in the same season if you haven't already.

No you can't have Coffey. But adding Leetch means people are going to have to take your front line offense VERY seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
Well that shapes things up nicely for myself. I'm actually able to select a pair of Habs including one guy I was attempting to trade up for earlier.
You've got the basis of a dynamite team.

Last edited by BraveCanadian: 01-26-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old
01-26-2012, 06:32 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
nice work arrbez. There are very few circumstances in which I'd pick Leetch over Gadsby and Salming in the ATD, but if I already had Gretzky-Kurri, I'd probably go with Leetch even if given the choice.

I'm assuming you're not going to be a trapping team...
Well won't your face be red when I draft the entire 1996 Florida Panthers from here on out...

And thanks for the show of support. Leetch was arguably the best defenseman available anyways, but I think his skillset made him the obvious choice.

Old
01-26-2012, 06:39 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Kurri is outstanding. And obviously a no-brainer best pick to go with Gretzky.

Go find the thread that Hockey Outsider summarized the players who had a top 10 selke and top 10 scoring in the same season if you haven't already.
Thanks for the tip, I'm just looking it over now. Nice to see Kurri is the all-time leader in that category with 6 seasons. Obviously this only covers players from 1978 onwards, but still, a nice feather in Kurri's cap.

Old
01-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Velociraptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
Well won't your face be red when I draft the entire 1996 Florida Panthers from here on out...

And thanks for the show of support. Leetch was arguably the best defenseman available anyways, but I think his skillset made him the obvious choice.

Nice pick with Leetch, I thought Billy was going to pick Leetch and you'd pick Salming, went the other way around, but you've got a really nice start your team! Kudos, sir!

Old
01-26-2012, 07:04 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Eh, arrbez Leetch is a very good pick, but I think the less said about his 30+ career, the better.

Old
01-26-2012, 08:00 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
LW Dickie Moore

5x Top 4 All Star Voting(1, 1, 2, 3, 4)
2x Top 8 Hart Trophy Voting(5, 8)
6x Stanley Cup Champion
6x NHL All Star Game Participant
2x Art Ross Trophy Winner
4x Top 7 Goals(1, 2, 3, 7)
4x Top 6 Assists(1, 2, 5, 6)
4x Top 8 Points(1, 1, 8, 8)
8x Top 9 Goals Playoffs(1, 3, 3, 5, 5, 8, 8, 9)
8x Top 9 Assists Playoffs(1, 1, 2, 2, 5, 6, 7, 9)
7x Top 7 Points Playoffs(1, 1, 2, 4, 4, 5, 7)

Quote:
Dickie Moore was one of hockey's most productive and exciting forwards during the 1950s. The talented left winger scored at least 20 goals six times, played on six Stanley Cup championship teams and is remembered as part of a potent forward line with Maurice and Henri Richard. Moore was among the NHL's best shooters and puckhandlers and could also skate better than most - an aggressive player whose robust style of play earned him the nickname "Digging Dickie."

After a promising beginning with 33 points in as many games for the Habs in 1951-52, Moore struggled to keep a regular place on the roster until 1954-55, but once he solidified his position in Montreal, he became a major offensive contributor on the franchise's Stanley Cup dynasty from 1956 to 1960. In 1957-58, he led all NHL snipers with 36 goals. He also won the scoring title with 84 points despite playing the final three months of the season with a cast on his broken wrist. His resolve to carry on regardless of the hardships incurred was an integral part of his personality.

The pinnacle of Moore's career came in 1958-59 when he got the Art Ross Trophy for an astonishing 96-point performance. He also led all playoff scorers with 17 points in 11 games. The 96-point effort broke Gordie Howe's league record and ended up as the second-highest single-season total of the pre-expansion era. Moore was selected to the NHL First All-Star Team both years he won the scoring championship and was placed on the Second Team in 1961. Despite many injuries that caused him to miss a host of regular-season games, Moore was always ready to compete in the post-season.

By the end of the 1962-63 season, injuries had taken their toll on the skillful winger. He retired immediately after the season but was convinced by the Canadiens brass to attend training camp, after which he stuck to his original plan to step away from the game.

Moore did return for 38 games with Toronto in 1964-65 and 27 matches with St. Louis in 1967-68. The comeback in St. Louis was initiated by scout Cliff Fletcher, who happened to attend one of Moore's oldtimers' games. Moore rediscovered his scoring touch in the playoffs with 14 points in 18 games when the team reached the Stanley Cup finals, only to lose out to Montreal. A popular and gifted NHL star, Moore was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1974.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...io&list=#photo

Quote:
In Montreal, no person is more revered than Maurice "Rocket" Richard. That's why when a scout proclaimed Dickie Moore would make fans forget about the Rocket, Hab management eagerly listened.

Unfortunately injuries plagued Moore's career, but he never-the-less was a very effective and rugged player.

Although hampered by injuries such as knee operations, shoulder separations, broken hands and wrists and countless bruises, scars and wounds, he twice led the league in scoring. In fact in 1953 he recorded 96 points to set a new NHL record for points in a season. This feat is made more amazing in the fact that he played much of the season with a specially designed cast on his injured shooting wrist!

Moore was a decorated junior player, leading the Montreal Royals (1949) and Montreal Junior Canadiens (1950) to Memorial Cup championships. He wasn't noted as a goal scorer but rather as an intense and feisty power forward that had the Habs drooling.

Although Moore was part of the 1953 Stanley Cup championship team, Moore did not make the Habs full time until the 1954-55 season. His gritty game was the perfect addition to a team loaded with superstars. Much like a xxx with the 1980s New York Islanders or xxx with the late-1990s-early 2000s Detroit Red Wings, Moore supplied the necessary sandpaper to the Canadiens highly polished offensive game.

Somehow Moore's offensive game blossomed in Montreal, too. He would twice lead the entire league in scoring, winning the Art Ross trophy. Three times he scored 35 or more goals. The six time Stanley Cup champion also made the first all star team twice. He would finish his career with a total of 261 goals and 608 points in 719 NHL games.

One has to wonder had Moore's aggressive style not led to such severe injuries just how good Dickie Moore could have been. As it is, he is forever immortalized in the Hockey Hall of Fame.
http://habslegends.blogspot.com/2007...kie-moore.html

Quote:
… a six-time Stanley Cup winner and one of the greatest two-way left wingers in the history of the game… He was tough, rambunctious and drove the net like a demon. Had the Selke Trophy been in existence when he played, Moore likely would have won an armful of them.
-The Hockey News: Top 100

Quote:
On the ice, Dickie Moore was something else: a tiger in the corners of the rink where the timid fear to tread; a radar-like passer who also enjoyed superb accuracy when he took a shot on goal; and, more than anything, a man of leonine courage, as much as anyone who ever played in the NHL.

Dickie’s talent was all-inclusive. He shot hard and accurately, stickhandled and passes well, played wight or left wing, worked easily with all players, and at 5’11”, 170 pounds, played rugged and smart defense.
-Those Were the Days

Quote:
When Maurice Richard and Doug Harvey faded, I expected Dickie to take over as leader of the team, and he did.
-Undrafted

Quote:
Dickie was a fighter, a real worker. I remember seeing him in junior hockey against Jean Beliveau’s team, the Quebec Citadelles. Just about the whole team went after Dickie but he wasn’t afraid in the least. He fought everybody on the ice and held his own. It was the same way with him in the NHL, except he had to fight injuries as well.
-Maurice Richard

Quote:
Moore deserved it (the scoring title). He’s the most valuable player on the Canadiens.

As dedicated to winning as any athlete I’ve ever known. Rough, tough, talented, and a brilliant guy in his own way.
-Red Fisher

Quote:
An excellent stickhandler and skater with a hard, accurate shot, Moore became one of the NHL’s top offensive stars. He was also handy with his elbows and fists, and his aggressive play earned him the nickname Digger.
-Hockey's Glory Days

Quote:
Since time began, players have tried to play the game without sweating, and it doesn’t work that way, and he was totally prepared to sacrifice everything. He sacrificed his body.
-Glenn Hall

Quote:
Dickie Moore was the most under-rated great player that I ever saw. He took more abuse and contributed more than any player. He was on a team that had glowing characters, like Rocket Richard, the Pocket Rocket, Bernie “Boom Boom” Geoffrion, Jacques Plante, Doug Harvey, and all these guys were flamboyant in various ways. Dickie Moore just went out there – he played very tough, like Ted Lindsay played tough, but he scored.
-Stan Fischler

Quote:
He was quite willing to play a back seat to Rocket and Beliveau and even Boom Boom Geoffrion. He was just delighted to be part of an organization that won Stanley Cups year after year. The sheer love of the game was so obvious in Dickie Moore, and they adored him in Montreal. They adored what he could do on the ice – they loved his pluck and his grit and the fact that he just fit right in.
-Brian McFarland

Quote:
Dickie Moore going to St. Louis, in the expansion draft, even at 60% of his potential, brought class, skill, hard work, and certainly a winning spirit, and he’s not going to cost you any headaches. That’s what you want in a fellow – just go out and do his job game in and game out, and always be plus.
-Howie Meeker

Quote:
When he came back from being nearly in the cemetery, he played for St. Louis and they got to the finals. Scotty Bowman raves about how well he played when everyone thought he was done. He didn’t have the wheels he used to have, but he had the know-how, and he was a fierce, competitive guy…. I always thought that Dickie Moore was the best Montreal Canadien player in my books. There was Richard, Beliveau, Harvey, and other guys too, but Moore seemed to have something they didn’t. I’m not saying he was as talented, but he got the job done.
-Harry Neale

Quote:
He was a great play-off performer. He scored real key goals for us.
-Undrafted

Quote:
I wasn’t the biggest built kid, but I felt I had a big heart. I could match anybody.
-Dickie Moore

-Credit to Nalyd and Dreak for those quotes

Quote:
Moore was a swift skater and savvy stickhandler. With a vast array of skills, Moore would eventually become one of the premier talents in the Original Six era, a double-threat who combined finesse with toughness. It would hardly be an easy path to greatness, but the future Hall of Famer would not be denied his rightful place in the sport.
-NHL Alumni

Quote:
Most days you can find a six-time Stanley Cup winner and one of the greatest two-way left wingers in the history of the game at his desk, where he’s president of Dickie Moore Rentals. Moore could play the game any way you wanted – in the back alley, along the boards or dangling in the offensive zone – so it’s certainly no shock that he carved such a versatile post-career niche for himself.
http://tophockey.info/dickie-moore

Quote:
Dickie Moore's remarkable skill and superior determination made him a key component in the most extraordinary dynasty in the history of the National Hockey League. Between 1956 and 1960, the Montreal Canadiens collected an unprecedented five consecutive Stanley Cup championships, with Moore contributing by winning the league scoring championship in both 1958 and 1959.
http://www.hhof.com/htmlSpotlight/sp...ep197404.shtml

Quote:
Pride, skill and determination are all attributes that come to mind when Dickie Moore’s name is mentioned. An outstanding all-around player who approached the game with unmatched ferocity, he spent 12 years with the Canadiens, emerging from his time in the hockey world as one of the greatest wingers in Habs history.

A standout junior who played on Memorial Cup Championship teams in both 1949 and 1950, he broke in with the Habs midway through the 1951-52 season and was assigned two veteran linemates. With Elmer Lach at center and Moore’s boyhood idol, Maurice Richard, on the right side, the rookie picked up 33 points in as many games and continued to shine in the postseason.

Injuries kept Moore from full-time duty over the next two seasons but he answered the call come playoff time, showing the fire and the poise of a veteran when the stakes were at their highest. The Habs won the Stanley Cup in 1953 and the subsequent spring, Moore’s 13 points led all playoff scorers.

Toe Blake’s decision to place rookie Henri Richard between Moore and “The Rocket” the following year resulted in a forward line that was one of the NHL’s best for the next nine years.

All three men were among the most combative players the game has ever seen. Maurice Richard was still the most dangerous man in the hockey world from the blue line in. His younger brother had very few peers when it came to carrying and controlling the puck.

Five consecutive Stanley Cups came Montreal’s way as the tough kid from a rough Montreal neighborhood continued to establish himself as a star. Moore had all the tools at his disposal and he used every one of them effectively. He was a strong skater, smooth stickhandler, crisp passer and had a strong accurate shot.

An offensive threat as much as anyone on the roster, Moore’s greatest asset lay in what he didn’t do. The 5-foot-10, 168-pounder refused to back down from anyone and he refused to lose. Whether it was a race for a loose puck, a battle along the boards or a round of fisticuffs, Moore usually emerged victorious.
http://ourhistory.canadiens.com/player/Dickie-Moore

Quote:
When the Montreal Canadiens were building one of the best hockey clubs of all time during the early 1950s, Richard Winston "Dickie" Moore was among the most gifted young players signed by the Montreal brass. Brash to a fault, Moore was at first believed to be uncontrollable, but the combination of tough coach xxx, later the equally tough xxx, and Maurice Richard and Doug Harvey settled Dickie into a calmer, more manageable position. The results were sensational. Along with Boom-Boom Geoffrion, Jean Beliveau, and xxx, Moore became one of the most significant Canadiens. So significant that out of town newspapermen soon took notice of his talents.

"We like Moore," said Jim Vipond in his Toronto Globe and Mail Column. "He's a chippy operator who mixes with the toughest and still knows how to stickhandle and skate his way to the opposition net.
http://books.google.com/books?id=wpb...adiens&f=false

Quote:
Moore had also suffered an unusual injury that season. He got the worst of a scuffle with Detroit defenseman xxx during a game in early February and damaged his left wrist. He had it X-rayed. Doctors saw no signs of a fracture, but the arm remained tender and the injury did not heal. A second X-ray at the end of February revealed that he had broken a small bone between the wrist and the hand. His doctor recommended surgery, but Moore refused. An operation would have cost him the scoring title.

Instead, the physician wrapped the injured limb in plaster from palm of the hand to the elbow. The cast severely impaired Moore's shooting ability, but he could still score on deflections, rebounds, and tip-ins. He finished first in scoring with 84 points, four better than Henri Richard. He led the league in goals(36) and game-winners(8) and played superb defensive hockey, allowing wingers opposite him just three goals all season.
http://books.google.com/books?id=jGX...adiens&f=false

Quote:
Moore's courage was remarkable, and his ability and desire to overcome countless physical setbacks was an inspiration to his teammates.

They didn't come much tougher than Montreal Canadiens' left winger Dickie Moore. Despite racking up 608 points and 6 Stanley Cups in 14 seasons, Moore's outstanding play was often overshadowed on a team that featured Rocket Richard, Bernie Geoffrion, Jean Beliveau, Jacques Plante, and Doug Harvey. Even as a left winger, Moore was often overlooked by the more visible exploits of Ted Lindsay and later, Frank Mahovlich and Bobby Hull. In truth, Moore may have been the real inspiration behind the great Canadiens teams of the 1950s.
http://books.google.com/books?id=fEN...adiens&f=false

Quote:
An excellent stickhandler and skater with a hard, accurate shot, Moore became one of the NHL's top offensive stars. He was also handy with his elbows and fists, and his aggressive play earned him the nickname Digger.
http://books.google.com/books?id=8mL...adiens&f=false

Last edited by BillyShoe1721: 01-30-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old
01-26-2012, 08:05 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
I've spent more consideration on this pick than any pick I've ever made. In the end, I want to make an absolutely terrifying first line, and Gordie Howe with Dickie Moore at LW I've got 2/3 of a line that will terrify any defense in this draft

Definitely a great line with an awesome power forward on each side. I'd need to be shown more about Moore's speed to think he could keep up with Howe in transition though.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 01-26-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old
01-26-2012, 08:10 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

I always see ''Dickie Moore'' on a lot of rental construction equipement in Montreal , looks like he is doing well in his retirement , just like he did on the ice.

edit: Did MadArcand left a list to anybody?

Old
01-26-2012, 08:15 PM
vecens24

Well, to be honest that wasn't expected Billy. I expected you to go a different direction with that pick haha. Good pick don't get me wrong by any means, especially for the powerful combo you have on your top line now.

Old
01-26-2012, 08:18 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Well, to be honest that wasn't expected Billy. I expected you to go a different direction with that pick haha. Good pick don't get me wrong by any means, especially for the powerful combo you have on your top line now.
I'll explain my reasoning when the other guy I was considering gets picked.

Old
01-26-2012, 08:21 PM
vecens24

As far as MadArcand though, I assume that he won't be picking til around 2 or 3. We established that he's about 6 hours ahead of us. So the work day won't start there for at least another 4 hours, possibly more.

Old
01-26-2012, 10:53 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

What is the earliest Richard got taken? ( Henri )

dude vecens24 seriously , I just can't help it , everytime you post , I actually think Charlie Sheen is your face and is the one talking and posting.

Old
01-26-2012, 10:56 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
What is the earliest Richard got taken? ( Henri )

dude vecens24 seriously , I just can't help it , everytime you post , I actually think Charlie Sheen is your face and is the one talking and posting.
I'm not sure whether to take that as a compliment or what, but okay.

Old
01-26-2012, 10:59 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
I'm not sure whether to take that as a compliment or what, but okay.
more like if I had to put a face to yours it would be Charlie Sheen's one because of your damn avatar rofl ( it's just funny nothing bad )

edit: I just realized Charlie Sheen banged Bree Olson.Tells a lot about how much I follow the hollywood gossips.I am jealous.

Last edited by BenchBrawl: 01-26-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old
01-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Was Henri Richard really worse offensively than Frank Boucher or did he just not play on the power play? Hard to say.
You're not going to get the benefit of the doubt about Henri on the powerplay in this thing, though. Also, pocket rocket, in spite of how much time he spent in the postseason, does not approach Frank Boucher's playoff heroics. One has to make a couple of positive assumptions about Henri in order to put him on Boucher's level, and assumptions only count for so much.

Old
01-27-2012, 12:31 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Henri was a good playoff performer , but he wasn't THAT good either.

Old
01-27-2012, 01:48 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Well, it's unfortunate I lost out on Leetch (whom I planned to take with this pick). Oh well. The Whalers select Guy Lapointe, D.

(note the obvious Whalers connection! )

Old
01-27-2012, 01:54 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Vecens goes with Clint Benedict, G.

Here's a bio he wanted me to post as well:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=594

Old
01-27-2012, 01:55 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Great pick , Guy Lapointe is one of my all-time favorite player , and probably my favorite defenseman with Robinson.

Old
01-27-2012, 01:56 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Vecens goes with Clint Benedict, G.

Here's a bio he wanted me to post as well:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=594

Old
01-27-2012, 03:18 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Finished the Draft List. Let me know BY PM of any errors and I will correct them. I did the numbers manually so there may be some mistakes..but there should be 800 picks (32x25=800) and I think it's all right.

Thank you for your patience.

Old
01-27-2012, 04:46 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
55. Velociraptor - Australia Mighty Roos - Charlie Conacher, RW
56. Leaf Lander - Toronto Maple Leafs - Max Bentley, C
57. EagleBelfour - L'équipe Nationale de France - Frank Mahovlich, LW
58. Hedberg & vancityluongo - Winnipeg Saints - Joe Malone, C
59. Hedberg & vancityluongo - Winnipeg Saints - Ted Kennedy, C
61. MadArcand - Hartford Whalers - Sergei Makarov, RW
63. arrbez - Inglewood Jacks - Jari "Gretzky's Sidekick" Kurri, RW
64. Bring Back Scuderi - Pittsburgh Keystones - Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion, RW
65. Bring Back Scuderi - Pittsburgh Keystones - Henri Richard, C
67. Billyshoe1721 - Philadelphia Flyers - Dickie Moore, LW
You all suck!

Way to demolish our short-list.....

Closed Thread