HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Best and Worst Beers?

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2012, 12:13 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy T View Post
Who here has had the following drinks?

any thoughts?
Love Moretti, nice crisp taste

Old
03-17-2012, 12:17 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Picked up a 6er of these for the first time... Meh.

"Meh" is pretty much the one-word description of everything from Smuttynose, at least the half-dozen or so I've had. Drinkable but nothing really better than that.

Finally had a beer I liked from Southern Tier the other night, which makes them something like 1-9 on like/dislikes. Their 2X Milk Stout, which is the base stout for their supposedly nasty-sweet Creme Brulee milk stout, is actually quite good. It's sweet like all their other beers but this time that actually works because a milk stout is supposed to be, and it's not too much. Definitely worth picking up on tap. I probably couldn't drink a growler of it but could easily share one.

Old
03-17-2012, 02:32 AM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Has anyone tried gluten free beer?

Old
03-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy T View Post
Who here has had the following drinks?

any thoughts?
Had them all, they are OKAY, not my thing generally though...

I was on the Tetley's train for a while, but I am on the Kilkenny train now.

Old
03-17-2012, 05:03 PM
Xelebes

Favourite: St. Ambroise's Oatmeal Stout
Least Favourite: Alley Kat's Russian Imperial Stout
Flavoured: *shrug* Chocolate stouts are not my thing. Tried Alley Kat's apricot flavoured ale and did not enjoy it. Bitter beers do not get around to being beyond barely-started.

Old
03-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Yesterday was a lot of fun; we decided to go for a local record (at least among our beer group) and brew 7 batches of beer in one marathon brewing session. The fun started at about noon and we finished up at 11:30pm. Beers brewed:

-a Hefeweizen (pretty much a standard recipe here)
-three IPAs: 2 with an identical recipe (hop bill was Centennial, Amarillo, and Citra) but different yeasts, and 1 that's designed to be a "west coast IPA" (Cascade and Citra hops, with low bitterring by adding the hops late in the boil)
-a wheat stout (sounded like an interesting idea, the hope is it has a creamy, mouthful and bready flavor but not as sweet as an oatmeal stout would be)
-a dark brown ale (this might turn out more like a porter - we used a 1/2lb of dark roast malt)

Originally we were going to stop at 6, but then we figured let's go for one more. And what a "one more" it is: an imperial coffee stout brewed with 20lbs of grain (including 1.5lbs of roast malt) and 2 cups of French roast coffee beans. It looked like motor oil coming out of the sparge and had a beautiful dark coffee aroma. This one should hit its prime around Thanksgiving and hopefully comes in at around 8-10% ABV.

Old
03-19-2012, 08:24 AM
IslesPete39

Best

Old
03-19-2012, 08:33 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Really falling in love with the Sierra Nevada extra IPA. Not necessarily because it's the best, but I can always find it, usually only $7 for a six pack, and has a nice punch at 7%. Plus I can get it at my grocery store right next to the gym, and I get points that go towards cheaper gas.

Old
03-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Pucklington

Fav: Hoegaarden, Guiness, Blue Moon

Good: Keiths, Grasshopper, Stella

Least: Bud, Canadien, Kokanee, Coors

Old
03-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Pucklington

San Miguel is pretty good too.

Old
03-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Really falling in love with the Sierra Nevada extra IPA. Not necessarily because it's the best, but I can always find it, usually only $7 for a six pack, and has a nice punch at 7%. Plus I can get it at my grocery store right next to the gym, and I get points that go towards cheaper gas.
It's a really great "any time" beer, nice bitterring and lots of hoppy flavor. One of the bars in town has a special on Tuesday nights: all Sierra products are $2. I will blow through bottles of Torpedo and Ruthless Rye like nobody's business sometimes.

Old
03-19-2012, 10:03 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
It's a really great "any time" beer, nice bitterring and lots of hoppy flavor. One of the bars in town has a special on Tuesday nights: all Sierra products are $2. I will blow through bottles of Torpedo and Ruthless Rye like nobody's business sometimes.
That is a killer deal... I'm not even sure my bar has them, but this has me curious now.

Old
03-19-2012, 10:08 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
wow, you don't find better then that. occasionally tyler's will have some of their beers of the month at a ridiculous price (I think they had Terrapin Rye Squared for $2.75 a pint, which I went nuts on) but $2 is just crazy cheap for a good beer like that.

Old
03-22-2012, 09:44 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

So i finally broke down and cracked open one of this past years vertical epic's that I had been cellaring since I bought it. It didn't quite have the same pepper afterbite to it that I remember when I tried one when it first came out. But that was also on tap when I tried it and I know it bottling can have some different affects on the beers. I still have a bottle of the 09, 10, and 11 left, with plans on picking up a 12 when that comes out this December. Probably will crack all 4 of them open around New Years, should be a fun experiment to see how well they held up considering that was the aim of Stone's Vertical Epic project.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:01 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Favorites: Red Oak, Yuengling, Fullsteam El Toro Cream Ale, Lonerider Shotgun Betty, Duckrabbit Milk Stout, Unibroue Blanche de Chambly, Czechvar, Aviator Devil's Tramping Ground Tripel, Highland Oatmeal Porter, Foothill's Sexual Chocolate

Least Favorites: Macrobrew garbage, Huyghe Delirium Tremens, Great Divide Titan IPA

Old
03-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Ducksforcup

I was about to put Natural Ice, before I remembered this abomination of a beer that I bought at a 99 cent store a couple years ago.

It truly is horrible.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:52 AM
Slot 3
exitus acta probat

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksforcup View Post
I was about to put Natural Ice, before I remembered this abomination of a beer that I bought at a 99 cent store a couple years ago.

It truly is horrible.

Wait, dollar stores sell beer in the States?

Old
03-22-2012, 05:15 PM
bolt thrower
Krejci/Smith Mania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucklington View Post
San Miguel is pretty good too.
Pretty bad beer according to me, like most of the spanish brews.

Old
03-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Bocephus86

vCash: 690
Natty light, the greatest beer? 60 dollar keg AND it tastes lke water after the first two?(which taste like a metal/ass hybrid) cannot beat you beer snobs

Old
03-22-2012, 11:15 PM
sjsharky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksforcup View Post

It truly is horrible.
how can a beer that says "beer" in large letters across the can NOT be delicious?

Old
03-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Kicking back with some moose drool. This **** is so good. I'm going to be tanked before the game even starts.

Old
03-24-2012, 11:25 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
Had this tonight - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2594/46572 - I could bathe in it.

Old
03-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

I notice a lot of you like Stella. They're having a promotion where you buy a 12 pack and you get a free, engraved chalice. I ordered mine, and I dont think I'll get it before it's over. Anyway, just letting you guys know.

Favorite:
Yuengling--best taste/$. I'm not a fan of black & tan or porter though--straight up in a bottle is good.

weihenstephaner hefeweissbier-- Seriously, y'all need to try this beer. It's ****ing amazing, and I wish I could drink it with every dinner. Just get a six pack, it's worth it. Warning: It's a little pricey...If this isn't available, I suggest Paulaner, which is also a Bavarian wheat (pretty sure).

Bud light- get wasted...pretty much sums it up.

Worst: I dont like Old Milwaukee or Genessey.

Old
03-24-2012, 11:46 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Tried the double stout by Green Flash Brewing tonight (8.8% American imperial stout basically describes it). Wasn't a fan of the first half-bottle (somewhat off-putting nose and the taste wasn't great at first either) but it grew on me as the night went on. One of my compatriots thought it smelled like cat litter though, so be warned if you try it. Green Flash has been pretty hit-or-miss for me. I wouldn't buy this one again but am not too upset I purchased it.

I also recently cracked the COAST oyster stout (which is fantastic) and shreddin' wheat (a very nice wheat beer, with a distinctive west coast hop flavor) from growlers. Both are well worth trying if you encounter them.

Oh, and finally got to try a beer from Southampton Publick House courtesy of one of my friends, their Witte (or it may have been a double Witte or something along those lines). Just as good as I expected, and if anyone gets me Southampton's Berliner Weisse I will be in their debt for all eternity. This was a "must experience" brewery for me and the first try has me thirsty for more.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:29 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Have you tried the Green Flash Imperial IPA? Solid but it rates as an easy "holy ****" on my intensity scale. Definitely has to be one of those beers that I'm in the mood for before sitting down to it.

Closed Thread