HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Best and Worst Beers?

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Sergei Goldenhands
Used Registerer

vCash: 50
Favorite (Microbrew): Dieu du Ciel.

Favorite (Macrobrew): Sleeman Cream Ale.

Beer I drink the most: Molson Export.

Worst: Molson Dry, Labatt Blue and Boréale Blonde.

Old
01-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Latex*
DM is good

vCash: 500
Worst: All of them

Old
01-25-2012, 02:35 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Favorite beer: Carlsberg

And this is the reason why...

I'm a sucker for advertising, but C-Berg is a damn fine brew.

Old
01-25-2012, 02:36 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Yuengling is the best.

Heineken is the worst.

Old
01-25-2012, 02:48 PM
DRWCountryClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanghostx View Post
Favorite beer: Carlsberg

And this is the reason why...

I'm a sucker for advertising, but C-Berg is a damn fine brew.
Was going to say, I've been loving Carlsberg and Carslberg Lite.

Favourite is Guinness/Kilkenny on tap, or Bodingtons Pub Ale.

I used to really like Grolsch but it gives me a headache now for some reason.

Worst is by far Budweiser. Terrible.

Old
01-25-2012, 02:50 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

The only beer I've had that tastes remotely different from all of the others is Guinness and I didn't really like that.

Beer ****ing sucks.

Old
01-25-2012, 03:02 PM
DRWCountryClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dayvan Cowboy View Post
The only beer I've had that tastes remotely different from all of the others is Guinness and I didn't really like that.

Beer ****ing sucks.
What do you drink, if you drink at all?

Old
01-25-2012, 03:14 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
What do you drink, if you drink at all?
Hard liquor.

Keep in mind I am vehemently against drinking any alcohol unless I'm planning on getting drunk / partying. I don't do social drinking save for a few very, very rare occasions. This is partially due to some family history and partially because alcohol is horrible for people who are as into the gym as I am.

If I am drinking at my house, it doesn't really make sense to spend time drinking Beer which will take three times as long to get me to the same place hard liquor will.

If I'm out on the town, Beer is as expensive as any high-ball and most bars only carry the name brand stuff like Molsen, Coors, Kokaneee, Guiness, Corona, Dos Equis, stuff like that. So that probably covers the different beers I have tried. But, again, seeing as it is expensive, doesn't get me ****ed up, and I enjoy the taste less than rum, vodka, or whiskey, I don't ever drink it.

inb4 I get totally blasted by beer drinkers. I don't hate you I'm just not one of you.

Old
01-25-2012, 03:16 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Best:

- Samuel Adams Boston Lager
- Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
- Erdinger Weissbier Dunkel
- Hacker-Pschorr (Hefe) Weisse
- Hobgoblin

Worst:

- Lakeport Honey Lager
- Carling
- Molson Canadian
- Budweiser
- Miller Chill
- Steam Whistle

Old
01-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Rangers1135

So, is any German beer the best beer?

Old
01-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Hard liquor.

Keep in mind I am vehemently against drinking any alcohol unless I'm planning on getting drunk / partying. I don't do social drinking save for a few very, very rare occasions. This is partially due to some family history and partially because alcohol is horrible for people who are as into the gym as I am.

If I am drinking at my house, it doesn't really make sense to spend time drinking Beer which will take three times as long to get me to the same place hard liquor will.

If I'm out on the town, Beer is as expensive as any high-ball and most bars only carry the name brand stuff like Molsen, Coors, Kokaneee, Guiness, Corona, Dos Equis, stuff like that. So that probably covers the different beers I have tried. But, again, seeing as it is expensive, doesn't get me ****ed up, and I enjoy the taste less than rum, vodka, or whiskey, I don't ever drink it.

inb4 I get totally blasted by beer drinkers. I don't hate you I'm just not one of you.
If you don't drink socially then that's totally understandable. There's no point in drinking good beer just to get drunk, and I tend to agree that at a bar where the name of the game is to get wasted I'd rather drink mixed drinks and hard liquor.

Old
01-25-2012, 03:28 PM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Goldenhands View Post
Favorite (Microbrew): Dieu du Ciel.

Favorite (Macrobrew): Sleeman Cream Ale.

Beer I drink the most: Molson Export.

Worst: Molson Dry, Labatt Blue and Boréale Blonde.
Péché Mortel!

Best microbrewery in Montreal.

Old
01-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers1135 View Post
That depends entirely on the sort of styles. There are certain styles where German and Belgian breweries absolutely excel, but I'd argue they don't have the range that the best American breweries do.

I would certainly rank Ayinger Brewery's Celebrator Doppelbock as among the very best in its class and one of the best beers in the world period.

Old
01-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Bengui

Quote:
Hard liquor.

Nah its okay man. You don't drink good beer to get drunk.

Old
01-25-2012, 03:46 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers1135 View Post
The Ayinger Celebrator and the Schneider Aventinus that I mentioned which are (at least IMO) the best in their class.

They also kill anything you typically find made domestically in Octoberfests.

Old
01-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Favorites
- Gulden Draak, Brouwerij Van Steenberge (Ertvelde, Belgium), Belgian Dark Triple Ale
- Celebrator, Ayinger (Aying, Bavaria), Dopplebock
- Dopplebock, Bayern (Missoula, Montana), Dopplebock
- Old Rasputin, North Coast (Fort Bragg, California), Russian Imperial Stout
- Three Philosophers, Ommegang (Cooperstown, New York), Belgian-Style Quadrupel
- Delirium Nocturnum, Huyghe (Melle, Belgium), Belgian Triple Ale
- Moose Drool, Big Sky (Missoula, Montana), Brown Ale
- Obsidian Stout, Deschutes (Bend, Oregon), Stout
- Shakespeare Stout, Rogue Ales (Newport, Oregon), Stout
- Pig's Ass Porter, Harvest Moon (Belt, Montana), Porter

Worst
- Any beer that has the word 'Light' in it (getting all of those out of the way right away)
- Just about anything that comes from St. Louis or Milwaukee (Budweiser, Miller, Old Milwaukee, Busch, etc.)
- Coors
- Labatt and Molson are a baby step above the American macros
- Most European macros (Carlsberg and Heineken are a baby step above the Canadian macros)

Above all else, anything from the Harboe Brewery in Denmark...I tried them out of necessity (in a country where a beer at a bar costs $9-12 and $5 each for a 12 pack sometimes you need to get something cheap...I don't recommend a beer that costs 5 kroner (~$1)...they all basically taste like water mixed with urine and rubbing alcohol. It barely even counts as carbonated. Breweries offering these cheap alternative are everywhere in Scandinavia and they're all equally bad. If it wasn't for Denmark having some of the best craft breweries in the world I'd have a really low opinion of Scandinavian beers in general...just be prepared to sacrifice your first born child to pay for some of them.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
01-25-2012, 03:52 PM
DRWCountryClub

Quote:
Hard liquor.

Yeah that makes sense.

Vodka though, wow. That stuff is terrible.

Maybe a little OT, but Guinness is supposed to be kind of good for you, same with wine.

Old
01-25-2012, 03:54 PM
shootingrubber

Best: Heineken
Worst: Coors

But I agree with the poster who said that they prefer to drink hard liquor, as on a lot of occasions that's what I prefer as well.

Old
01-25-2012, 03:58 PM
Doland
The King is Alive

vCash: 566
Iceberg beer

Not sure if available outside of Newfoundland though.

Old
01-25-2012, 04:39 PM
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutzler View Post
Favorite: I love me some MGD or Heineken
Least Favorite: Coors!
Unless you're referring to Coors Light these are essentially the exact same beer, at least by style guide.

Fav: Way to many to list. Season, weather, time of day, food I'm eating (or no food), will all result in a different answer. General answer? To style Pilsners and Saisons are in heavy rotation at all times for me. This time of year I also like Stouts, Porters, Imperial Stouts, etc.

Least: Not a big Heff fan because I don't like the Banana and Clove flavours German Heff yeast give off. American Adjunct Lagers tend to make me turn up my nose. Value brand beer in general is horrid.

Old
01-25-2012, 04:41 PM
DRWCountryClub

Why do I feel like getting beer. Hmmm...

Old
01-25-2012, 04:44 PM
CoRD
Shots Fired

Come at me bro.

Old
01-25-2012, 04:44 PM
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
This is actually not always true, unless the only reason you drink beer is to get drunk (which would usually suggest drinking bad beer). One of the highest-rated (and hardest to get) beers in the world on Beer Advocate is Southampton Berliner Weisse, brewed in extremely limited quantities by Southampton Publick House in Southampton, NY at only 2% ABV. It has a 97/100 rating and the comments are almost uniformly glowing:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1628/8626

Here's one sample description:

"This is a light bodied brew with a prickly level of high carbonation. It gets fizzy at times inside the mouth that helps to make the lactic quality of this offering really pop. This brew is balanced well and a perfect example of the style. So easy drinking, you could easily devastate a bottle of this yourself in no time. 2% abv? Amazing, this brew displays so much depth of character in both flavor and aroma it is unreal. This was essentially my only "white whale," it was my single most sought after brew. When I finally acquired it care of tprokop7 (Thanks again Todd!) I could not figure out an appropriate time to open it. Tonight was the night, shared with my wife in celebration of my first born child. Everything about this beer is perfect - look, smell, taste, feel and time/place. It is deserving of the only perfect 5 rating I have ever given."

Berliner Weisse is the BOMB! Super hard to get your hands on though as many breweries don't make it. The Bruery's Hottenroth is a personal fav as I'm West Coast located.

A local brewery made one a while back that was nice as well.

I've tried to homebrew it a few times too, but not with great success.

AWESOME summertime session beer.

Old
01-25-2012, 04:46 PM
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post

Come at me bro.
is more or less the same as

Old
01-25-2012, 04:48 PM