HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Best and Worst Beers?

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2012, 02:03 AM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
Or possibly, most of the mainstream beers (Budweiser, Molson, Labatt, Coors, Corona, Heineken, etc.) are awful, flavorless ****.

I guess I should say that Justin Bieber is my favorite musical artist, to avoid seeming like I'm attempting to be unique and cool.
Just because Heineken has commercials during football games doesn't make it bad. Heineken is a great beer.

Old
01-29-2012, 02:27 AM
Sirquacksalot
Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM Smiths View Post
Just because Heineken has commercials during football games doesn't make it bad. Heineken is a great beer.
For a mass produced lager, yes. Lagers are typically lighter than most beers in flavour. However, once someone from North America branches out from the mainstream lager world there is an entire universe of beer to explore. Even lagers from craft breweries hold an entirely new experience to someone who thinks that Bud Light-Coors Light is variety, and Heineken is an exotic brew. Then again I like stouts and porters, so read into it what you want, but yeah...

Old
01-29-2012, 04:58 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM Smiths View Post
It's really a very mediocre beer. It's great compared to Budweiser and **** compared to Budweiser Budvar.

Also I have literally no clue who Ed Hardy is...

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
01-29-2012, 05:02 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
Personally, I am of the belief that many people say a certain beer (non-mainstream) is their favourite purely to be unique and "cool".
Yeah, that's it.

Or you can look at it like being asked what's your favorite cut of meat...are you more likely to respond with a $80 ribeye or a $1 McDonald's cheeseburger.

You're not wrong if you say the $1 McDonald's cheeseburger...but...yeah, you're wrong.

Old
01-29-2012, 09:59 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

I suspect both the guy who write that ridiculous post and the one who agreed with it are just trolling and can't be reasoned with. They are probably upset that somewhere in the thread their favorite beer (likely Molson, Labatt, or some other macro still that gets advertised during hockey games) got called out for what it is. They probably also fit the mold of the stereotypical Canadian beer drinker who thinks "American beer sucks, Canadian beer is better and stronger" without having the slightest clue about either.

Old
01-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

Not really a beer drinker...

Best: Griffon Extra Blonde

Pure Garbage: Alberta's Best

Old
01-29-2012, 10:18 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

For "not really a beer drinker" you have pretty decent taste in favorites.

Quebec has some really solid breweries...

Old
01-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
For "not really a beer drinker" you have pretty decent taste in favorites.

Quebec has some really solid breweries...
Well i do have some good friends.

Old
01-29-2012, 10:48 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Depends somewhat on the vintage but most of the auctions were at $50 or higher for a bomber (not including what ever shipping was) without the auctions being done.

One guy was selling 4 limited edition numbered release bottles for $2000.
Holy crap... That's insane.

There any Charlotte micros that you'd suggest? We've never been there, but want to go up there in the next weekend or two for a weekend trip just to add that as a city that we've been too.

Old
01-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post

There any Charlotte micros that you'd suggest? We've never been there, but want to go up there in the next weekend or two for a weekend trip just to add that as a city that we've been too.
Disclaimer: I don't have a huge amount of information on the Charlotte beer scene, so most of this is hearsay. One of the NC posters like DaveG may know more.

-I'd definitely hit up Brawley's Beverage, which is the go-to store in Charlotte for finding rare/high-quality bottles, and the owner is super-knowledgable so he would probably be a great source of information on the local beer scene. Go here first to grab something new and uncommon, and get the local spraydown.

-Duckworth's Grill and Taphouse seems to be the most highly regarded bar/eatery in Charlotte for its beer scene. As an added bonus, both it and Brawley's are close by, on the 4000 strip of Park Street.

-Flying Saucer Draught Emporium, if it's anything like the one in Columbia SC, is probably a pretty good spot to grab some pints (albeit not an essential visit by any means). I suspect there's probably better places in Charlotte that I'm not familiar with (besides the aforementioned Duckworth's).

-I don't have any real information on the local breweries there. Your best bet is probably to go on BeerAdvocate and look through the Charlotte list, then read what people have to say about each one. The only one whose beers I've seen down here is Kind Brewing and they are nothing special, but keep in mind that could mean very little. It may be the case that they aren't sending their best creations down this way. The other brewers may simply not have much in the way of out-of-state distribution yet, so the fact that we haven't got anything of theirs says nothing about their quality.

-There's a good chance you will find some decent tap selections for the highly-regarded larger North Carolina breweries, such as Highland, Foothills, and Cottonwood (along with others). Ask the locals for their suggestions. If you can find Highland Cold Mountain winter ale on tap, try that. It's a Highland seasonal whose recipe changes every year, and it doesn't have the typical winter/Christmas seasonal flavors (nutmeg, cinnamon, etc.). I found this years to be malty with vanilla and nutty hints to it, and not too much hops (although one of my friends found it over-hopped compared to previous years).

Old
01-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Best

Old
01-29-2012, 01:54 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
Depends somewhat on the vintage but most of the auctions were at $50 or higher for a bomber (not including what ever shipping was) without the auctions being done.

One guy was selling 4 limited edition numbered release bottles for $2000.
Ooohh dark lord is so good. My friends step dad cracked open a 2009 bottle for us a couple months ago.

Old
01-29-2012, 01:55 PM
RayP

Quote:
Disclaimer: I don't have a huge amount of information on the Charlotte beer scene, so most of this is hearsay. One of the NC posters like DaveG may know more.

-I'd definitely hit up Brawley's Beverage, which is the go-to store in Charlotte for finding rare/high-quality bottles, and the owner is super-knowledgable so he would probably be a great source of information on the local beer scene. Go here first to grab something new and uncommon, and get the local spraydown.

-Duckworth's Grill and Taphouse seems to be the most highly regarded bar/eatery in Charlotte for its beer scene. As an added bonus, both it and Brawley's are close by, on the 4000 strip of Park Street.

-Flying Saucer Draught Emporium, if it's anything like the one in Columbia SC, is probably a pretty good spot to grab some pints (albeit not an essential visit by any means). I suspect there's probably better places in Charlotte that I'm not familiar with (besides the aforementioned Duckworth's).

-I don't have any real information on the local breweries there. Your best bet is probably to go on BeerAdvocate and look through the Charlotte list, then read what people have to say about each one. The only one whose beers I've seen down here is Kind Brewing and they are nothing special, but keep in mind that could mean very little. It may be the case that they aren't sending their best creations down this way. The other brewers may simply not have much in the way of out-of-state distribution yet, so the fact that we haven't got anything of theirs says nothing about their quality.

-There's a good chance you will find some decent tap selections for the highly-regarded larger North Carolina breweries, such as Highland, Foothills, and Cottonwood (along with others). Ask the locals for their suggestions. If you can find Highland Cold Mountain winter ale on tap, try that. It's a Highland seasonal whose recipe changes every year, and it doesn't have the typical winter/Christmas seasonal flavors (nutmeg, cinnamon, etc.). I found this years to be malty with vanilla and nutty hints to it, and not too much hops (although one of my friends found it over-hopped compared to previous years).
Thanks for the info... and honestly, we're not serious beer drinkers to the extent someone like yourself is (hell, I've never heard of half the beers you've mentioned on these boards). We just like trying out the local stuff, that we know we won't be able to get by us. Thanks again. Will definitely keep this post in mind when we head up to that area.

Old
01-29-2012, 02:10 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Quote:

Honestly Charlotte's beer scene hasn't really caught on quite as much as Asheville's or Raleigh's. There are some good bars there but it's a bit more hit and miss and a bit harder to find the gems. Duckworth's is probably your best bet. Here's their beer list: http://www.duckworthsgrillandbar.com..._Charlotte.pdf mind you I don't necessarily agree with some of the grades they've given out. I think they have the local (Hickory and Charlotte) a tad overrated, but for the most part it's a good mini-chain that has a good selection.

Old
01-29-2012, 02:12 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Honestly Charlotte's beer scene hasn't really caught on quite as much as Asheville's or Raleigh's. There are some good bars there but it's a bit more hit and miss and a bit harder to find the gems. Duckworth's is probably your best bet. Here's their beer list: http://www.duckworthsgrillandbar.com..._Charlotte.pdf mind you I don't necessarily agree with some of the grades they've given out. I think they have the local (Hickory and Charlotte) a tad overrated, but for the most part it's a good mini-chain that has a good selection.
Good to know, thanks. Food decent there, or just go there for brews?

Old
01-29-2012, 02:13 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Favourite: Flying Monkey Brewry's Hoptical Illusion
Least favourite: Molson Canadian
Weirdest: Yukon Brewing's Cranberry Wheat Ale

Old
01-29-2012, 02:16 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
I mostly just go for the brews when I'm on my way down to a Checkers game or on the rare occasion that the NCAA tourney is in town or my old University's in the bowl game there. Otherwise I'm usually on my way to Asheville or Collowhee when I'm out that way so I typically stick with the Asheville bar scene (Barley's is a must hit). The food's not bad though, not at all. Standard bar fare but I've found that the bars with the best beer also often have the best food.

Old
01-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Olde Mecklenburg brewery sounds reasonably well-regarded on Beer Advocate to be worth a visit if you are in Charlotte, at least if you like German-style beers.

Old
01-29-2012, 02:36 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
I've yet to try any microbrews, and I am getting a little tired of the big-name brands. Any suggestions for good microbrews I can find in Ontario?

Old
01-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthSens View Post
I've yet to try any microbrews, and I am getting a little tired of the big-name brands. Any suggestions for good microbrews I can find in Ontario?
There's one I've seen popping up in some of these beer threads. I don't know the name of the brewery but they have really psychedelic labels and make that Atomic Monkey beer (or something along those lines) that supposedly got banned from some Ontario stores because its label was inappropriate it some such nonsense.

Old
01-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

I'm spoiled to have gone to school in the Pacific Northwest and lived the rest of my life in the Bay Area. I go to the Russian River Brewpub probably once a month or so and my friend had his rehearsal dinner at Bear Republic Brewery.

My three favorite brewerys are probably Russian River, Bear Republic, and Rogue.

Looking forward to getting some Pliny the Younger when it releases.

Old
01-29-2012, 03:55 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 147
As a Delaware resident, I can't not mention Dogfish Head.

But generally if I'm just picking up a sixer for myself I'll go Yuengling, Stella or Harp.

Old
01-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
I'm spoiled to have gone to school in the Pacific Northwest and lived the rest of my life in the Bay Area. I go to the Russian River Brewpub probably once a month or so and my friend had his rehearsal dinner at Bear Republic Brewery.

My three favorite brewerys are probably Russian River, Bear Republic, and Rogue.

Looking forward to getting some Pliny the Younger when it releases.
Any chance I can pay you to send me some?

Old
01-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Thanks for the info... and honestly, we're not serious beer drinkers to the extent someone like yourself is (hell, I've never heard of half the beers you've mentioned on these boards). We just like trying out the local stuff, that we know we won't be able to get by us. Thanks again. Will definitely keep this post in mind when we head up to that area.
You're welcome, and as far as the bolded part goes you are giving me a bit too much credit there. Everyone builds up gradually into good beer and it's great that you and your friends are trying new stuff and checking out local scenes when you can. I'm hardly an expert on craft beer compared to some of the posters here or especially some others in my local group (my friend Bryan was a top 10 finisher for Carolina Brewmaster of the Year), but I can hold my own in discussions. These threads can be fun to see what other people are drinking and to share ideas as we've been doing.

Old
01-29-2012, 06:32 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Just spent 40 bucks on a nice motley crew of beers:

a 6-pack of individual 12 oz. bottles/cans:

-Avery Mephistopheles imperial stout (9.99)
-Oskar Blues Ten Fidy imperial stout (3.99)
-Bell's Expedition imperial stout (3.29)
-Bell's Java imperial coffee stout (2.99)
-Harpoon chololate stout (1.49)
-Great Divide Claymore scotch ale (2.29)

-a 22 oz. bomber of Ipswich oatmeal stout (4.99)

-a 4-pack of Terrapin Wake N' Bake coffee oatmeal imperial stout (9.99)

Looking forward to working my way through this selection, along with some of the stuff I already have lurking at home (bombers of Bear Republic Bear Bear black stout and Lagunitas cappuccino stout).
Nice.

I picked up a 6pack of Bell's Hopslam Ale yesterday. Usually don't go for the double IPAs, but this one's pretty smooth and flavorful.

Living near Asheville NC, I'm exposed to a lot of quality local craft beers. Some of my favorites, including local & nonlocal:

Chickory Stout (Dogfish Head)
Raison D'Etre (Dogfish Head)
Tasgall Ale (Highland Brewing)
Cold Mountain Winter Ale (Highland Brewing)
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout (North Coast Brewing Co)
Milk Stout (Duck-Rabbit)
Two Hearted Ale (Bell's)
Special Double Cream Stout (Bell's)
Wee Heavy-er Scotch Ale (French Broad Brewing Co)
Leffe Blonde (Abbaye de Leffe SA)
Dead Guy Ale (Rogue)

Closed Thread