HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Best and Worst Beers?

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
Nice.

I picked up a 6pack of Bell's Hopslam Ale yesterday. Usually don't go for the double IPAs, but this one's pretty smooth and flavorful.

Living near Asheville NC, I'm exposed to a lot of quality local craft beers. Some of my favorites, including local & nonlocal:

Chickory Stout (Dogfish Head)
Raison D'Etre (Dogfish Head)
Tasgall Ale (Highland Brewing)
Cold Mountain Winter Ale (Highland Brewing)
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout (North Coast Brewing Co)
Milk Stout (Duck-Rabbit)
Two Hearted Ale (Bell's)
Special Double Cream Stout (Bell's)

Wee Heavy-er Scotch Ale (French Broad Brewing Co)
Leffe Blonde (Abbaye de Leffe SA)
Dead Guy Ale (Rogue)
You have outstanding taste. I love every single one of the beers in bold; the others I simply haven't tried yet (what the Chicory Stout like? they have it at my local store and it's on my to-try list). Bell's Hopslam is on my to-do list as well. I'd really like to gather together some of the best double and triple IPAs into one massive tasting session, but it's going to take a miracle to get a hold of the holy trinity (Pliny the Younger, Pliny the Elder, and Kern River's Citra DIPA).

Hendersonville would definitely be a pretty good location to hit up the NC beer scene from, being so close to Asheville as you said. I drive through there pretty often on my way to Brevard/Hwy 215/the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Old
01-29-2012, 08:01 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
You have outstanding taste. I love every single one of the beers in bold; the others I simply haven't tried yet (what the Chicory Stout like? they have it at my local store and it's on my to-try list). Bell's Hopslam is on my to-do list as well. I'd really like to gather together some of the best double and triple IPAs into one massive tasting session, but it's going to take a miracle to get a hold of the holy trinity (Pliny the Younger, Pliny the Elder, and Kern River's Citra DIPA).

Hendersonville would definitely be a pretty good location to hit up the NC beer scene from, being so close to Asheville as you said. I drive through there pretty often on my way to Brevard/Hwy 215/the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Thanks!

Hendersonville has one brewery right now...Southern Appalachian Brewery. They make an outstanding Belgian Blonde seasonal. We just learned that Sierra Nevada will be opening a base of operations in Mills River (located just south of the Asheville airport) and New Belgium has been eyeing Asheville for awhile now. Incidentally, Brevard Brewing Company is set to open this spring...looking forward to trying some of their stuff since I work in that area.

For the most part, I hit Asheville...just can't beat the selection.

I'm a sucker for coffee porters...Chicory Stout has a much smokier taste to it than others I've tried (Highland's Black Mocha Stout, Highland's Thunderstruck, Bell's Java Stout, Kona's Pipeline Porter, Bridgeport's Cafe Negro, among some)

Old
01-29-2012, 09:09 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss The Ring View Post
Best

I like a lot of Unibroue but just never could get into Fin du Monde.

I bought a sampler pack from Brasseurs RJ recently containing two bottles each of Titanic, Canon and Loch Ness. I've only had the first two so far but they're both winners, especially Titanic.

Old
01-29-2012, 09:20 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Yeah, that's it.

Or you can look at it like being asked what's your favorite cut of meat...are you more likely to respond with a $80 ribeye or a $1 McDonald's cheeseburger.

You're not wrong if you say the $1 McDonald's cheeseburger...but...yeah, you're wrong.
I never said everyone who says an obscure brand is lying, nor am I saying most. I am saying that many say what they say because it's different and gives them a sense of status. If it ever did get mainstream, they would start to say another beer or say the same beer but add in a little of "but I liked it before it got all mainstream".

Old
01-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
I never said everyone who says an obscure brand is lying, nor am I saying most. I am saying that many say what they say because it's different and gives them a sense of status. If it ever did get mainstream, they would start to say another beer or say the same beer but add in a little of "but I liked it before it got all mainstream".
And you are still ridiculously incorrect. Most fans of particular craft breweries would love for them to get more popular since it ensures the brewery's success and wider availability of their beers. You should quit while you are ahead, stop spouting nonsense, and go drink whatever Hockey Night In Canada is telling you to drink like a good little advertising victim.

Old
01-29-2012, 09:29 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

Quote:
Any chance I can pay you to send me some?
When I talked to the bartender on NYE he said that he didn't think they were going to do growlers, just pints on tap. If I do make it up there from Davis and they have growlers, I could probably pick you up one. It's not a for sure thing that I'm going to go when they have it though, and if the Bartender was correct there won't be a way to get any to you as a pint glass isn't going to ship well

Old
01-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
When I talked to the bartender on NYE he said that he didn't think they were going to do growlers, just pints on tap. If I do make it up there from Davis and they have growlers, I could probably pick you up one. It's not a for sure thing that I'm going to go when they have it though, and if the Bartender was correct there won't be a way to get any to you as a pint glass isn't going to ship well
Aww, I was really hoping they were planning to bottle it in some way or another (I've seen those short, fat bottles with Pliny the Younger stamped on the side online, no idea if that was just a one-time thing or what).

Have you seen the Kern River Citra DIPA around at all where you are, in bombers? (which I'm positive have existed in the past, since there were some online sites selling them). I'd gladly pay for some of that too.

Old
01-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Evil Speaker
Registered

vCash: 112
Wildcat is the worst beer ever. Just thinking about it makes me want to vomit

Old
01-29-2012, 10:42 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

Quote:
Aww, I was really hoping they were planning to bottle it in some way or another (I've seen those short, fat bottles with Pliny the Younger stamped on the side online, no idea if that was just a one-time thing or what).

Have you seen the Kern River Citra DIPA around at all where you are, in bombers? (which I'm positive have existed in the past, since there were some online sites selling them). I'd gladly pay for some of that too.
Yeah I just looked it up on their website. They aren't doing any bottling, just serving it in 10 oz glasses .

Old
01-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Bengui

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I like a lot of Unibroue but just never could get into Fin du Monde.
Where do you live in Montreal ? I just bought one from the Provigo on Avenue du Parc, right before it turns into Bleury street. They carry it and other Unibroue beers all year long.

Old
01-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Bengui

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
Personally, I am of the belief that many people say a certain beer (non-mainstream) is their favourite purely to be unique and "cool".
Or maybe it's because most macro breweries make the same kind of beer, and some people might like other sorts of beer more ?

Old
01-30-2012, 12:15 AM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Speaker View Post
Wildcat is the worst beer ever. Just thinking about it makes me want to vomit
That's because you have never tried a Charrington Toby (shiver). Absolutely disgusting.

Please drink one and get back to me if you still think Wildcat is worse than this ****.

But getting back to one of my favorites, I would like to add this:

All I know is that it's from Singapore, and it has the most smoothest and sweetest aftertaste that I've ever tasted in a beer. I know it's sound weird saying this but the closest thing that I can compare the aftertaste to would be...Gobstoppers.

But it's good!!

Old
01-30-2012, 12:27 AM
AINEC
Kessel's "intensity"

Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar is probably my favourite. I can't really say, since I've tried a ton of beers but none recently.

As fruity as I felt drinking it, Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry is pretty good. Their Oatmeal Stout is also one of my favourites.

The beer selection at the LCBO and Beer Store generally blows, so I have to keep an eye out when they bring in new/unpopular beers.

Old
01-30-2012, 09:44 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengui View Post
Where do you live in Montreal ? I just bought one from the Provigo on Avenue du Parc, right before it turns into Bleury street. They carry it and other Unibroue beers all year long.
No I didn't mean that I couldn't find it - I meant that I've had it a couple of times and just don't enjoy it.

Old
01-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Bengui

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
No I didn't mean that I couldn't find it - I meant that I've had it a couple of times and just don't enjoy it.
Yeah, sorry... My reading comprehension is a bit off when I'm drunk

Old
01-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeal View Post
Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar is probably my favourite. I can't really say, since I've tried a ton of beers but none recently.

As fruity as I felt drinking it, Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry is pretty good. Their Oatmeal Stout is also one of my favourites.

The beer selection at the LCBO and Beer Store generally blows, so I have to keep an eye out when they bring in new/unpopular beers.
I've heard about this and it seems like a real shame that the Ontario government has essentially sold out the beer industry to the large corporate macrobrewers.

Old
01-31-2012, 12:51 PM
Francesa

http://twitter.com/LukeRussert/statu...04408006873088
Quote:
Spirit sales up 4% in 2011 people trading the Natty Light for Ciroc: washingtonpost.com/business/spiri… #USA
http://twitter.com/LukeRussert/statu...04958320541696
Quote:
"American lagers, which dominate the US beer industry, have been on a steady decline" -not surprising considering craft beer is much better

Old
01-31-2012, 03:50 PM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

This is going to sound bad, but when I drink, I drink to get drunk. Delirium, Dogfish Head's 120 IPA, Bud Light, Dale's Pale Ale, it doesn't matter what it is.

I usually start out with "decent" stuff for the first few beers then just swtich to the watered down American whatever is on special beer at the bar / club I'm at for the rest of the evening.

Sheeeeeit, this thread makes me wish it was Friday.

Old
01-31-2012, 04:10 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

If you are drinking Dogfish 120 you aren't going to need to have too many in order to get drunk.

Last week I got plastered on Russian imperial stouts, man was that ever great.

Old
01-31-2012, 04:29 PM
daveskirtun
:o)

Love:

Hate:

Old
01-31-2012, 04:38 PM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

Quote:
If you are drinking Dogfish 120 you aren't going to need to have too many in order to get drunk.

Last week I got plastered on Russian imperial stouts, man was that ever great.
Ha, that's the truth. Same goes for Delirium. A lot of my friends ask me while I'm willing to shell out $8 + for a single beer when in their words, it all does the trick. I always tell them that the alcohol content in some of these beers is a lot higher and more importantly, actually tastes good, lol. But then again, I'm a hypocrite because I'm sitting there double ******* Miller Lites with them later in the night.

Old
01-31-2012, 04:44 PM
Supersic
Je suis Charlie

This is a weiss beer without alcohol. I drink it after jogging. It is delicous and refreshing.

Old
01-31-2012, 06:03 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

WORST BEERS: Harpoon UFO Hefeweizen

Old
01-31-2012, 06:36 PM
Bryan23

My favorite beer is Chimay - Blue

Least Favorite: Corona. I hate Corona. The clear bottles make the hops bad, and I can't take the aftertaste.

Old
01-31-2012, 07:27 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Favorite (Best) Beers (in no particular order)

-Franziskaner Hefe-weiss
-Dogfish Head Aprihop
-Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
-Keegan Ales Mother's Milk Stout
-Unibroue Ephemere (Apple Ale)
-Delirium Tremens
-Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest (tap only)
-Rogue Hazlenut Brown Nectar
-Young's Double Chocolate Stout

-Becks
-New Castle

Last edited by wolfgaze: 01-31-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Closed Thread