HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Best and Worst Beers?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2012, 07:43 PM
  #151
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 37,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
Nice.

I picked up a 6pack of Bell's Hopslam Ale yesterday. Usually don't go for the double IPAs, but this one's pretty smooth and flavorful.

Living near Asheville NC, I'm exposed to a lot of quality local craft beers. Some of my favorites, including local & nonlocal:

Chickory Stout (Dogfish Head)
Raison D'Etre (Dogfish Head)
Tasgall Ale (Highland Brewing)
Cold Mountain Winter Ale (Highland Brewing)
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout (North Coast Brewing Co)
Milk Stout (Duck-Rabbit)
Two Hearted Ale (Bell's)
Special Double Cream Stout (Bell's)

Wee Heavy-er Scotch Ale (French Broad Brewing Co)
Leffe Blonde (Abbaye de Leffe SA)
Dead Guy Ale (Rogue)
You have outstanding taste. I love every single one of the beers in bold; the others I simply haven't tried yet (what the Chicory Stout like? they have it at my local store and it's on my to-try list). Bell's Hopslam is on my to-do list as well. I'd really like to gather together some of the best double and triple IPAs into one massive tasting session, but it's going to take a miracle to get a hold of the holy trinity (Pliny the Younger, Pliny the Elder, and Kern River's Citra DIPA).

Hendersonville would definitely be a pretty good location to hit up the NC beer scene from, being so close to Asheville as you said. I drive through there pretty often on my way to Brevard/Hwy 215/the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Epsilon is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 08:01 PM
  #152
ratmanfu
Registered User
 
ratmanfu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Country: Spain
Posts: 8,458
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
You have outstanding taste. I love every single one of the beers in bold; the others I simply haven't tried yet (what the Chicory Stout like? they have it at my local store and it's on my to-try list). Bell's Hopslam is on my to-do list as well. I'd really like to gather together some of the best double and triple IPAs into one massive tasting session, but it's going to take a miracle to get a hold of the holy trinity (Pliny the Younger, Pliny the Elder, and Kern River's Citra DIPA).

Hendersonville would definitely be a pretty good location to hit up the NC beer scene from, being so close to Asheville as you said. I drive through there pretty often on my way to Brevard/Hwy 215/the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Thanks!

Hendersonville has one brewery right now...Southern Appalachian Brewery. They make an outstanding Belgian Blonde seasonal. We just learned that Sierra Nevada will be opening a base of operations in Mills River (located just south of the Asheville airport) and New Belgium has been eyeing Asheville for awhile now. Incidentally, Brevard Brewing Company is set to open this spring...looking forward to trying some of their stuff since I work in that area.

For the most part, I hit Asheville...just can't beat the selection.

I'm a sucker for coffee porters...Chicory Stout has a much smokier taste to it than others I've tried (Highland's Black Mocha Stout, Highland's Thunderstruck, Bell's Java Stout, Kona's Pipeline Porter, Bridgeport's Cafe Negro, among some)

ratmanfu is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 09:09 PM
  #153
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,723
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss The Ring View Post
Best

I like a lot of Unibroue but just never could get into Fin du Monde.

I bought a sampler pack from Brasseurs RJ recently containing two bottles each of Titanic, Canon and Loch Ness. I've only had the first two so far but they're both winners, especially Titanic.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 09:20 PM
  #154
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome
 
MeowLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baconland
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Yeah, that's it.


Or you can look at it like being asked what's your favorite cut of meat...are you more likely to respond with a $80 ribeye or a $1 McDonald's cheeseburger.

You're not wrong if you say the $1 McDonald's cheeseburger...but...yeah, you're wrong.
I never said everyone who says an obscure brand is lying, nor am I saying most. I am saying that many say what they say because it's different and gives them a sense of status. If it ever did get mainstream, they would start to say another beer or say the same beer but add in a little of "but I liked it before it got all mainstream".

MeowLeafs is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 09:25 PM
  #155
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 37,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
I never said everyone who says an obscure brand is lying, nor am I saying most. I am saying that many say what they say because it's different and gives them a sense of status. If it ever did get mainstream, they would start to say another beer or say the same beer but add in a little of "but I liked it before it got all mainstream".
And you are still ridiculously incorrect. Most fans of particular craft breweries would love for them to get more popular since it ensures the brewery's success and wider availability of their beers. You should quit while you are ahead, stop spouting nonsense, and go drink whatever Hockey Night In Canada is telling you to drink like a good little advertising victim.

Epsilon is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 09:29 PM
  #156
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS
 
Chairman Mallard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pacifica / Sec 202
Country: United States
Posts: 15,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Any chance I can pay you to send me some?
When I talked to the bartender on NYE he said that he didn't think they were going to do growlers, just pints on tap. If I do make it up there from Davis and they have growlers, I could probably pick you up one. It's not a for sure thing that I'm going to go when they have it though, and if the Bartender was correct there won't be a way to get any to you as a pint glass isn't going to ship well

Chairman Mallard is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 09:56 PM
  #157
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 37,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
When I talked to the bartender on NYE he said that he didn't think they were going to do growlers, just pints on tap. If I do make it up there from Davis and they have growlers, I could probably pick you up one. It's not a for sure thing that I'm going to go when they have it though, and if the Bartender was correct there won't be a way to get any to you as a pint glass isn't going to ship well
Aww, I was really hoping they were planning to bottle it in some way or another (I've seen those short, fat bottles with Pliny the Younger stamped on the side online, no idea if that was just a one-time thing or what).

Have you seen the Kern River Citra DIPA around at all where you are, in bombers? (which I'm positive have existed in the past, since there were some online sites selling them). I'd gladly pay for some of that too.

Epsilon is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 10:30 PM
  #158
Evil Speaker
Registered
 
Evil Speaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NorthVan
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,882
vCash: 112
Wildcat is the worst beer ever. Just thinking about it makes me want to vomit

Evil Speaker is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 10:42 PM
  #159
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS
 
Chairman Mallard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pacifica / Sec 202
Country: United States
Posts: 15,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Aww, I was really hoping they were planning to bottle it in some way or another (I've seen those short, fat bottles with Pliny the Younger stamped on the side online, no idea if that was just a one-time thing or what).

Have you seen the Kern River Citra DIPA around at all where you are, in bombers? (which I'm positive have existed in the past, since there were some online sites selling them). I'd gladly pay for some of that too.
Yeah I just looked it up on their website. They aren't doing any bottling, just serving it in 10 oz glasses .

Chairman Mallard is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 11:08 PM
  #160
Bengui
Registered User
 
Bengui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I like a lot of Unibroue but just never could get into Fin du Monde.
Where do you live in Montreal ? I just bought one from the Provigo on Avenue du Parc, right before it turns into Bleury street. They carry it and other Unibroue beers all year long.

Bengui is offline  
Old
01-29-2012, 11:13 PM
  #161
Bengui
Registered User
 
Bengui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
Personally, I am of the belief that many people say a certain beer (non-mainstream) is their favourite purely to be unique and "cool".
Or maybe it's because most macro breweries make the same kind of beer, and some people might like other sorts of beer more ?

Bengui is offline  
Old
01-30-2012, 12:15 AM
  #162
Darkhorse1280
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: York Region
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Speaker View Post
Wildcat is the worst beer ever. Just thinking about it makes me want to vomit
That's because you have never tried a Charrington Toby (shiver). Absolutely disgusting.

Please drink one and get back to me if you still think Wildcat is worse than this ****.

But getting back to one of my favorites, I would like to add this:



All I know is that it's from Singapore, and it has the most smoothest and sweetest aftertaste that I've ever tasted in a beer. I know it's sound weird saying this but the closest thing that I can compare the aftertaste to would be...Gobstoppers.

But it's good!!

Darkhorse1280 is offline  
Old
01-30-2012, 12:27 AM
  #163
AINEC
Kessel's "intensity"
 
AINEC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,443
vCash: 500
Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar is probably my favourite. I can't really say, since I've tried a ton of beers but none recently.

As fruity as I felt drinking it, Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry is pretty good. Their Oatmeal Stout is also one of my favourites.

The beer selection at the LCBO and Beer Store generally blows, so I have to keep an eye out when they bring in new/unpopular beers.

AINEC is offline  
Old
01-30-2012, 09:44 AM
  #164
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,723
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengui View Post
Where do you live in Montreal ? I just bought one from the Provigo on Avenue du Parc, right before it turns into Bleury street. They carry it and other Unibroue beers all year long.
No I didn't mean that I couldn't find it - I meant that I've had it a couple of times and just don't enjoy it.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
01-30-2012, 11:04 AM
  #165
Bengui
Registered User
 
Bengui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
No I didn't mean that I couldn't find it - I meant that I've had it a couple of times and just don't enjoy it.
Yeah, sorry... My reading comprehension is a bit off when I'm drunk

Bengui is offline  
Old
01-30-2012, 11:05 AM
  #166
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 37,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeal View Post
Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar is probably my favourite. I can't really say, since I've tried a ton of beers but none recently.

As fruity as I felt drinking it, Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry is pretty good. Their Oatmeal Stout is also one of my favourites.

The beer selection at the LCBO and Beer Store generally blows, so I have to keep an eye out when they bring in new/unpopular beers.
I've heard about this and it seems like a real shame that the Ontario government has essentially sold out the beer industry to the large corporate macrobrewers.

Epsilon is offline  
Old
01-31-2012, 12:51 PM
  #167
Francesa
Moderator
 
Francesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 197,518
vCash: 500
http://twitter.com/LukeRussert/statu...04408006873088
Quote:
Spirit sales up 4% in 2011 people trading the Natty Light for Ciroc: washingtonpost.com/business/spiri… #USA
http://twitter.com/LukeRussert/statu...04958320541696
Quote:
"American lagers, which dominate the US beer industry, have been on a steady decline" -not surprising considering craft beer is much better

Francesa is offline  
Old
01-31-2012, 03:50 PM
  #168
chuppa chupp
star gazing
 
chuppa chupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: somewhere out there
Posts: 2,618
vCash: 500
This is going to sound bad, but when I drink, I drink to get drunk. Delirium, Dogfish Head's 120 IPA, Bud Light, Dale's Pale Ale, it doesn't matter what it is.

I usually start out with "decent" stuff for the first few beers then just swtich to the watered down American whatever is on special beer at the bar / club I'm at for the rest of the evening.

Sheeeeeit, this thread makes me wish it was Friday.

chuppa chupp is offline  
Old
01-31-2012, 04:10 PM
  #169
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 37,607
vCash: 500
If you are drinking Dogfish 120 you aren't going to need to have too many in order to get drunk.

Last week I got plastered on Russian imperial stouts, man was that ever great.

Epsilon is offline  
Old
01-31-2012, 04:29 PM
  #170
daveskirtun
:o)
 
daveskirtun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,343
vCash: 500
Love:





Hate:



daveskirtun is offline  
Old
01-31-2012, 04:38 PM
  #171
chuppa chupp
star gazing
 
chuppa chupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: somewhere out there
Posts: 2,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
If you are drinking Dogfish 120 you aren't going to need to have too many in order to get drunk.

Last week I got plastered on Russian imperial stouts, man was that ever great.
Ha, that's the truth. Same goes for Delirium. A lot of my friends ask me while I'm willing to shell out $8 + for a single beer when in their words, it all does the trick. I always tell them that the alcohol content in some of these beers is a lot higher and more importantly, actually tastes good, lol. But then again, I'm a hypocrite because I'm sitting there double ******* Miller Lites with them later in the night.

chuppa chupp is offline  
Old
01-31-2012, 04:44 PM
  #172
Supersic
Je suis Charlie
 
Supersic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: BiBaBananenrepublik
Country: Jordan
Posts: 423
vCash: 500
This is a weiss beer without alcohol. I drink it after jogging. It is delicous and refreshing.


Supersic is offline  
Old
01-31-2012, 06:03 PM
  #173
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,258
vCash: 500
WORST BEERS: Harpoon UFO Hefeweizen

wolfgaze is offline  
Old
01-31-2012, 06:36 PM
  #174
Bryan23
Registered User
 
Bryan23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Millville, NJ
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
My favorite beer is Chimay - Blue


Least Favorite: Corona. I hate Corona. The clear bottles make the hops bad, and I can't take the aftertaste.

Bryan23 is offline  
Old
01-31-2012, 07:27 PM
  #175
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,258
vCash: 500
Favorite (Best) Beers (in no particular order)

-Franziskaner Hefe-weiss
-Dogfish Head Aprihop
-Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
-Keegan Ales Mother's Milk Stout
-Unibroue Ephemere (Apple Ale)
-Delirium Tremens
-Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest (tap only)
-Rogue Hazlenut Brown Nectar
-Young's Double Chocolate Stout

-Becks
-New Castle


Last edited by wolfgaze: 01-31-2012 at 11:16 PM.
wolfgaze is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.