HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Best and Worst Beers?

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2012, 12:53 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

vCash: 500
Not to say it's bad, but having now lived in Belgium for almost 2 years, I find the allure of Stella Artois humorous. Before I came here, I kind of built up Stella in my mind, because it was Belgian, but now I've realized that it's just the Belgian beer that gets exported the most, not that it's a good one. I haven't tasted every Belgian beer, but it's hard to find one I wouldn't drink above Stella. I'll even buy Jupiler (the cheap Belgian beer, kind of like Belgian Budweiser or MGD) or Hoegaarden over Stella; Jupiler because it's cheaper and Hoegaarden because it's got more flavor, even thought I think Hoegaarden is too sweet. Granted, different people like different beers, I really prefer a beer with a lot of flavor, so the fact that I don't like it much doesn't mean it's bad. That's also not to say I don't drink Stella, just that I don't go buy it.

I'm currently drinking some Rochefort Trappist 8.

Edit:
Since I mentioned Budweiser, I figured that I'd mention that I did like the Czech one more than the American one.

Last edited by FootKnight: 02-02-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old
02-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Just snagged two 6-packs of Bell's Hopslam. Our local beer store only got 5 cases of them and put a two-per-person limit. Excited to try this year's version and I'll probably cellar one of the packs (or maybe half a pack or something).

Old
02-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
Not to say it's bad, but having now lived in Belgium for almost 2 years, I find the allure of Stella Artois humorous. Before I came here, I kind of built up Stella in my mind, because it was Belgian, but now I've realized that it's just the Belgian beer that gets exported the most, not that it's a good one. I haven't tasted every Belgian beer, but it's hard to find one I wouldn't drink above Stella. I'll even buy Jupiler (the cheap Belgian beer, kind of like Belgian Budweiser or MGD) or Hoegaarden over Stella; Jupiler because it's cheaper and Hoegaarden because it's got more flavor, even thought I think Hoegaarden is too sweet. Granted, different people like different beers, I really prefer a beer with a lot of flavor, so the fact that I don't like it much doesn't mean it's bad. That's also not to say I don't drink Stella, just that I don't go buy it.

I'm currently drinking some Rochefort Trappist 8.

Edit:
Since I mentioned Budweiser, I figured that I'd mention that I did like the Czech one more than the American one.
It is funny to see how the perception of a beer can change across borders. When I visited Belgium the locals I talked to compared Stella to the worst of the macros. In Denmark it was barely to be found anywhere on tap, but in the stores it was generally the cheapest 'real' beer to get (Stella, Pilsner Urquell, & Heineken were usually 15 kroner/$3 for 500ml cans). In the U.S. a lot of people who don't know much about beer think it's amazing and extremely classy...

Same thing with Heineken. Marketing can be extremely effective, especially over time.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
02-02-2012, 02:41 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Just snagged two 6-packs of Bell's Hopslam. Our local beer store only got 5 cases of them and put a two-per-person limit. Excited to try this year's version and I'll probably cellar one of the packs (or maybe half a pack or something).
it's good but no Two Hearted

Old
02-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

My latest purchase:

Stone is one of the best breweries out there, I'm hoping there's actual insight in this book. I have some hope about it's entertainment value, at least...Arrogant ******* may be my favorite beer bottle out there, just for the story on the back.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:08 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Tried a couple new beers yesterday.

The Bruery's 4 Calling Birds -
Interesting and worth trying once, but not sure if I'd have it again. The licorice flavor was a bit overwhelming what otherwise could have been a fantastic beer, but it was still fairly decent.

Dogfish Head Immort -
This one is on my regular rotation list now when I can find it. The scent doesn't really stand out to me one way or the other (could also have something to do with the pollen in the air early this year, **** you allergies) but in terms of flavor you can definitely pick up on the oak and maple notes. Dogfish Head can be hit or miss, but they got this one right for sure.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:56 PM
AINEC
not sure if serious

Quote:
I've heard about this and it seems like a real shame that the Ontario government has essentially sold out the beer industry to the large corporate macrobrewers.
Yeah the LCBO is a huge disappointment for people who like good/different beer.

They run on certain release schedules so you'll only get in a handful of new beer and they'll only be around for the season or until their supply runs out.

For example this is what they've got coming in for the Spring:
Quote:
LCBO# / Name / Size / alc./vol. / Price
100487 / Schloss Eggenberg Doppelbock Dunkel / 330 / 8.5 / $2.85
260299 / Celt Native Storm Crafted Ale / 500 / 4.4 / $3.65
270389 / Charlevoix Lupulus / 750 / 8 /$11.65
168393 / Olvisholt Skjalfti Lager / 500 / 5.3 / $3.90
270496 / Thornbridge Jaipur IPA / 500 / 5.9 / $4.40
265124 / Southern Tier Unearthly Imperial IPA / 650 / 9.5 / $9.60
676577 / Westmalle Tripel / 330 / 9.5 / $3.75
106237 / Doppel Hirsch Doppel Bock / 500 / 7.2 / $3.85
265140 / Weihenstephan Vitus / 500 / 7.7 / $3.10
210591 / Panil Barriquee Sour / 750 / 9.6 / $14.00
210773 / Norrebro Var Tripel / 600 / 8.4 / $9.50
266031 / Mikkeller Freiser Triple Bock / 750 / 11 / $13.50
209346 / Tree Hop Head Double IPA / 650 / 8.3 / $5.35
And yes those are single bottle prices

Old
02-04-2012, 12:01 AM
Eagle Eye Cherry
guitar player

What he drinks..

Old
02-04-2012, 09:24 AM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 100
Worst is definetly Coors Light, Keystone and Natural Ice. Its basically carbonated water

Old
02-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Dogfish Head Immort -
This one is on my regular rotation list now when I can find it. The scent doesn't really stand out to me one way or the other (could also have something to do with the pollen in the air early this year, **** you allergies) but in terms of flavor you can definitely pick up on the oak and maple notes. Dogfish Head can be hit or miss, but they got this one right for sure.
I've had this one twice in the last two weeks and enjoyed it each time. I'm not sure it's something I like enough to pick up over other choices but it certainly is a nice beer. I agree with you on Dogfish Head being hit-or-miss, all their beers seem to run on the sweeter side (although not to the nasty degree that Southern Tier's do) but sometimes they get the right balance.

A beer I had recently that I unfortunately don't recommend:

Bear Republic Big Bear Black Stout-

I passed around samples of this to about a half-dozen serious beer drinkers in our local crew (I was the only one who know what it was, and didn't say anything until the end), and the consensus was pretty unanimous: it's not a bad beer, but it doesn't really have any characteristics of a stout (especially one that's 8.1% ABV and has a pretty forceful name like Big Bear Black Stout). Most guessed it was either a schwartzbier or a baltic porter. They were all really surprised when I showed them what it was. For a brewery that nails so many of their brews (Racer 5 IPA, for example), this one was a letdown when I was expected a big, full-bodied, in-your-face American stout.

Old
02-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeal View Post
Yeah the LCBO is a huge disappointment for people who like good/different beer.

They run on certain release schedules so you'll only get in a handful of new beer and they'll only be around for the season or until their supply runs out.

For example this is what they've got coming in for the Spring:

And yes those are single bottle prices
That's really disappointing, although I guess if you like Belgians there's some interesting stuff in there.

Do NOT waste your money on Southern Tier's Unearthly imperial IPA, unless you like really sweet beers.

Old
02-04-2012, 02:04 PM
AINEC
not sure if serious

Quote:
That's really disappointing, although I guess if you like Belgians there's some interesting stuff in there.

Do NOT waste your money on Southern Tier's Unearthly imperial IPA, unless you like really sweet beers.
Ha, thanks for the warning. I was planning on trying it but 10 bucks / bottle isn't very appealing to a university student.

I really liked Choklat and 2xIPA from them.

Old
02-04-2012, 02:08 PM
RayP

How is the Magic Hat #9? Got a sixer of that today.

Old
02-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeal View Post
Ha, thanks for the warning. I was planning on trying it but 10 bucks / bottle isn't very appealing to a university student.

I really liked Choklat and 2xIPA from them.
If you liked those beers, then you may like the one I mentioned to. For whatever reason, Southern Tier's offerings are just not at all to my taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
How is the Magic Hat #9? Got a sixer of that today.
Totally average beer but a reasonably drinkable pale ale. The sort of thing you can finish a 6-pack of without too much difficulty and without breaking the bank.

Old
02-04-2012, 02:29 PM
RayP

Quote:
If you liked those beers, then you may like the one I mentioned to. For whatever reason, Southern Tier's offerings are just not at all to my taste.

Totally average beer but a reasonably drinkable pale ale. The sort of thing you can finish a 6-pack of without too much difficulty and without breaking the bank.
Cool, pretty much what I was hoping for while BBQing later tonight.

Old
02-04-2012, 02:33 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

vCash: 1125
Worst beer IMO is one of

or

Old
02-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Cool, pretty much what I was hoping for while BBQing later tonight.
Yeah it's absolutely fine for that. Also the sort of thing that's good for picking up at the store on your way to a party or gathering. You can "share" it by adding it to the communal beer supply and drinking better ones instead, without looking like a total bum (like you would if say, you brought a 6-pack of Bud and started snaking other people's good micros).

Old
02-04-2012, 04:35 PM
RayP

Quote:
Yeah it's absolutely fine for that. Also the sort of thing that's good for picking up at the store on your way to a party or gathering. You can "share" it by adding it to the communal beer supply and drinking better ones instead, without looking like a total bum (like you would if say, you brought a 6-pack of Bud and started snaking other people's good micros).
I hear you. I don't think I hang out with a single person that enjoys micros now that I think of it... So no worries of them being stolen when I do pick them up.

Just cracked open a Fat Tire Enlightened Black Ale... Very good.

Old
02-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
I hear you. I don't think I hang out with a single person that enjoys micros now that I think of it... So no worries of them being stolen when I do pick them up.

Just cracked open a Fat Tire Enlightened Black Ale... Very good.
I assume you mean New Belgium? Easy mistake to make though since they are practically synonymous with their flagship beer Fat Tire. The 1554 black ale is one of their better main brews. Overall New Belgium isn't a brewery that impresses me all that much but their "Lips of Faith" series can be interesting.

Old
02-04-2012, 07:36 PM
RayP

Yeah, I think you're right. Never even noticed the subtle difference.

Old
02-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152

Just bought a twelver of this at the store next to my place. The only downside is that it's not cold. I'll drink it tomorrow, I suppose.

Old
02-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Opened two new beers tonight:

1. Bell's Hopslam Ale

WOW! This is one hoppy ass-kicker of a beer. Less sweet than last year's version but with a subtle touch of honey, this is way too easy to drink for a 10% beer. A great sipper among ultra-hoppy IPA style beers.

2. Terrapin Wake N Bake imperial coffee oatmeal stout

Pours absolutely pitch black (held it up to a fluorescent light and still couldn't see through it at all) with a beautiful tan head that sticks around for a while. Great coffee smell but not overwhelming coffee flavor. Really good, thick body and a hearty 8.1% abv. This is everything a good stout should be; Terrapin really nailed this one.

Old
02-05-2012, 11:39 AM
sabrefan27

Picked up a Stone Vertical Epic last night and will try it later? Anyone tried it? Sounds interesting.

Old
02-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Picked up a Stone Vertical Epic last night and will try it later? Anyone tried it? Sounds interesting.
The 11/11/11? Funnily enough, last night while sampling the two beers I mentioned I was chatting with a friend who was trying that beer. He said it's an interesting flavor combination (cinnamon and chillies).

Old
02-06-2012, 06:58 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Just picked up a sizer of Bridgeport kingpin double red. Highly disappointing to say the least.

Closed Thread