HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kevin Shattenkirk

Old
01-25-2012, 11:27 AM
RyK15*

vCash: 500
Kevin Shattenkirk

Hey guys, I live in Philly, so I don't see a whole lot of West hockey, but I was wondering how Kevin Shattenkirk's been doing this year. He's always been one of my favorites and I'm very interested in what in what you guys think of his play this season.

RyK15* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:37 AM
BigB
We Want Big Macs!

vCash: 50
He is a great player.. last night was a very off night for him. He was second guessing himself and hesitant. He knew he wasn't playing up to par and was then further messing up his rhythm.

Overall, I been very pleased with him and he has settled in very nicely this year. He has a great niche in the club and I see him sticking around for quite awhile (hopefully) as a Blue. His level of play and help on the offensive is well balanced. Loving the guy personally.

BigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 05:38 PM
BlueDream

He's really good.

He's improved so much defensively. His positioning and stick work are good and he will occassionally get physical. But he's just a really smart player that makes heads up plays. Dan Boyle clone IMO.

And his offensive game speaks for itself. He's an extremely good skater and passer and has an underrated wrist shot.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 05:48 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
He's really good.

He's improved so much defensively. His positioning and stick work are good and he will occassionally get physical. But he's just a really smart player that makes heads up plays. Dan Boyle clone IMO.

And his offensive game speaks for itself. He's an extremely good skater and passer and has an underrated wrist shot.
Right now, Shattenkirk isn't as good of a puck rusher as Boyle has been over his career, but I honestly believe Shattenkirk is better defensively than Boyle ever has been. It's crazy that he's 22 and just in his second year.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Right now, Shattenkirk isn't as good of a puck rusher as Boyle has been over his career, but I honestly believe Shattenkirk is better defensively than Boyle ever has been. It's crazy that he's 22 and just in his second year.
I'd go along with this.

When the EJ trade was first made we all heard about Shattenkirk being shaky in his own zone from Avs fans, but we've never really seen that. I think most of us half expected a bit of a sophomore slump from him, but he has just continued exactly where he left off last season.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:29 PM
execwrite

Hopefully Shattenkirk will be a great player under Pietrangelo's shadow for a long time in St. Louis.

He makes an occasional bad turnover, but considering how young he is, his play has been fantastic.

He should just get better and better.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Linus

When he was first traded here, I didn't know much about him. I didn't think he was a throw-in by any means, but I thought that Stewart was the most valuable piece we got in the deal. I also expected him to go through a sophomore slump this season. Luckily, I was wrong on both accounts. I think that Shattenkirk is the most valuable piece we got in the deal, and he's been having an impressive season in my opinion.

Like others have said, he's a really smart player. I love his ability to read plays and he has good patience, too. He's had some great pinches that have led to goals this season. I don't consider him a liability on the defensive side at all. He isn't the most physical player, but he definitely has the ability to throw big hits. We've seen some great ones from him so far this season-

Not about his play, but another thing I like about Shattenkirk is that I think he has a lot of leadership ability. When he makes a mistake, he owns up to it instead of avoiding the media (his turnover that led to a Chicago SHG is an example that comes to mind). That might seem like a small thing, but it says a lot to me. I hope Backes is here as long as possible and Pietrangelo is also a great possibility for a future captain, but I could definitely see Shattenkirk wearing an A in the not-too-distant future.

Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Beastman*

He won't be a Blue for too long, thanks to Toronto & Dallas.

Beastman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:09 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastman View Post
He won't be a Blue for too long, thanks to Toronto & Dallas.
Goligoski and Liles are four and eight years older. Those contracts include UFA years. Not comparable.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:14 PM
BlueDream

And why would the Blues ever let him walk...?

I agree with Linus though. Shattenkirk has great leadership. He was a captain at BU. Also Steen, and Schwartz in the system. This team's going to have tons of leaders for many years and I love it.

Old
01-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Beastman*

Quote:

I agree with Linus though. Shattenkirk has great leadership. He was a captain at BU. Also Steen, and Schwartz in the system. This team's going to have tons of leaders for many years and I love it.

If they all don't expect significant raises.

Beastman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 02:10 AM
BlueDream

Quote:
Lol alright Negative Nancy....

Old
01-26-2012, 06:37 AM
execwrite

Quote:

Shattenkirk is under contract for $875K next year and is a restricted free agent in 2013-14. There's time to work out a new deal before he hits the free agent market.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 06:59 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Shattenkirk first reaches UFA summer 2017. It just turned 2012. Sure, it's possible he's moved or leaves in free agency in five and a half seasons, but it's more probable he won't since the Blues are good at prioritizing value, and young impact defensemen have value. While I realize Beastman's new schtick is to come in with pithy comments in the attempt to stir up things, it's incumbent on the rest of us to use our brains.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:48 AM
RyK15*

Great to hear. I always thought he had the makings of an olympian. Looks like that has a great chance of happening in 2 years.

RyK15* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Benighted

Quote:

Don't forget tarasenko too. Alternate captain for sibir in the khl on a team with men and captain of team russia who won gold. That is quite the leadership resume already. I loooove how this team is being built.

Benighted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 06:58 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Pietrangelo wore an A with Canada's WJC and you can tell he's a natural leader from watching any of his interviews.

The team has focused on character for a long time in its drafting as an emphasis point, and they've got a great mix. What they need now is the breakthrough of experiencing success together and then whoa, look out. If they get lucky and break through to the conference finals this year, say, the way the Blackhawks did the first year they broke back into the playoffs, it should galvanize the team because the conditions are all pre-set. They just need success for their confidence.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote