HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Antero Niittymäki 1/25; clears 1/26; assigned to Worcester 2/2

Old
01-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Lebanezer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbite3 View Post
Well I didn't have the time or patience to play every game myself, so I simmed a bunch and figured "Eh, if they don't do well I'll make a big trade or something and be really good next season", but they missed the playoffs so I was sent packing. Had like four offers though and I figured Colorado had a pretty decent core to start with.

And btw it was my second year with EDM when I got fired.
Even in videogames the Oilers run their organization like amateurs!

Lebanezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:32 PM
sharkbite3
blood in the water

I absolutely wish him the best. Things haven't gone well for him in San Jose and he deserves better circumstances.

sharkbite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Iron Chef

I was reading through some of the Twitter replies from the reporter who "broke" Nitty's comments. It seems like what he's upset about is that DW didn't give him the courtesy of a call to let him know that he was on waivers. He had to find out about it from a Finnish reporter who wanted to get his thoughts. Nitty was on his way to Tahoe with family when he got the call from the reporter.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:35 PM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstar View Post
Those actually aren't decent stats. .879 SV% for Auld? 3.57 GAA? Never mind, this is ridiculous. I'll just let you ramble nonsense.
most of his worst games were relief roles in which Anderson was getting drubbed. but still, put Greiss in for some games against Vancouver, Philly, Pittsburgh, LA, and Washington and see how bad his stats become.

Bizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:36 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
most of his worst games were relief roles in which Anderson was getting drubbed. but still, put Greiss in for some games against Vancouver, Philly, Pittsburgh, LA, and Washington and see how bad his stats become.
So your only argument for why Auld is better than greiss is because he gets a chance to play against good teams and... Loses... Horribly???

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:37 PM
sharkbite3
blood in the water

Quote:
...Or how much his talent is put on display. How do you know he won't do well if he hasn't been given a shot at top teams? His stats are good, he's never really looked awful, so what are you basing this idea of "He's the worst backup in the league and he'll suck against top teams" off of? They have Niemi, so they don't NEED Greiss to play the Vancouvers and Detroits, but I'm willing to bet he'd do just fine against strong clubs.

Old
01-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
So your only argument for why Auld is better than greiss is because he gets a chance to play against good teams and... Loses... Horribly???
I'm saying if Greiss had an equal workload, he'd have worse numbers. If Auld only played the Oilers/Coyotes/Avs/BlueJackets, he'd definitely have better stats.

Old
01-25-2012, 03:40 PM
sharkbite3
blood in the water

Well you just don't know that. Maybe Niemi gets hurt and Greiss keeps his stats around the same level against better teams. How do you know he wouldn't?

Old
01-25-2012, 03:41 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
do you want me to go through every single team to do so?

ok then

Anaheim: http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/_/id/2171/dan-ellis: note: Vancouver, LA, Chicago, & Nashville, hardly low quality opponents And worse stats than Greiss
Boston: http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelo...05/tuukka-rask arguably the best backup in the league A starter stuck in a backup role
Buffalo: http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/_/id/5042/jhonas-enroth better numbers against higher quality opponents with one of the worst defenses playing in front of him Those numbers are worse than Greiss's, a lot worse
Calgary: http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelo.../leland-irving 4 games, 2 against quality opponents, one of his against boston totally screws his stats Sample size too small to mean anything, and stats worse than Greiss regardless
Carolina: http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelo.../justin-peters 2 games against 2 quality opponents Sample size too small to mean anything, and stats worse than Greiss regardless
Chicago: http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelo...1647/ray-emery Not really a backup, still worse than Greiss...
Colorado: no real defined backup/starter
Columbus: no real defined backup/starter
Dallas: http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelo...ichard-bachman some sick numbers against even quality opponents Numbers worse than Greiss, posted some terrible numbers against terrible teams too
Detroit: http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelo...232/ty-conklin kinda mediocre numbers, but still faced harder opponents than Greiss That's not mediocre, thats miserable
Edmonton: http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelo...2/devan-dubnyk nice numbers Worse numbers than Greiss...
Florida: http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelo...ott-clemmensen more sick numbers against quality teams Your idea of 'sick' numbers is confusing. Decent, still worse than Greiss...
LA: http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelo...nathan-bernier decent miserable...
Minnesota: http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelo...4/josh-harding very nice Starter in a backup role, again, and again, worse than Griess (larger sample size)

i'm just gonna give up there, you get my point by now
So again, you prove my point. You have yet to post numbers from one backup goalie that are both superior to Greiss's (or even close) AND against harder competition (and are not a starter in a platoon role).

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SoupyFIN
#character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
I was reading through some of the Twitter replies from the reporter who "broke" Nitty's comments. It seems like what he's upset about is that DW didn't give him the courtesy of a call to let him know that he was on waivers. He had to find out about it from a Finnish reporter who wanted to get his thoughts. Nitty was on his way to Tahoe with family when he got the call from the reporter.
Maybe that was the last nail for the coffin to make him say that about the org. From the article:
Quote:
We have tried to find a solution in good terms with the club and my agent.
To me, it seems that he's just happy that he might get to go to a place where he can play and show that he still belongs in this league.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
So you give more credit to a backup that has sucked against good teams than a goalie that has done well against bad teams. You assume he would suck against good teams and thus put that against him anyway. Quality debating skills you got there.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:42 PM
AnderFunk

If Niittymaki thinks he was treated badly maybe he should talk to Thomas Greiss.

AnderFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:43 PM
Les Wynan*

Quote:
http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelo...1165/alex-auld

and people say this guy isnt very good either, Pittsburgh, Philly, Vancouver, Washington. that's not lower competition. and those are some pretty decent stats.
This tells me all I need to know about your ability to evaluate goaltenders.

Les Wynan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:44 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'm saying if Greiss had an equal workload, he'd have worse numbers. If Auld only played the Oilers/Coyotes/Avs/BlueJackets, he'd definitely have better stats.
You have no proof that is the case. Auld posted a .800 sv% against CGY, .818 sv% against TO, .800 sv% against BUF, and .905 sv% against MTL. None of those teams are doing that well. You think the Coyotes, Avs, and Oilers are that much worse than CGY, MTL, and TO?

Old
01-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Phu

The problem here is that there is no objective proof of the claim. So really, is there any point to arguing it?

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:45 PM
hockeyball

I am waiting for the inevitable "Whatever, you guys believe what you want, you don't know what your talking about" post.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:47 PM
lsx

Obviously we don't know the whole story, but it seems like the org has a little bit of an issue with doing this kind of stuff, remember Ian white saying there was no communication, and the Seto deal was just cold IMO.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Kitten Mittons

Ehrhoff and Greiss are the worst players in the history of the NHL.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:49 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Don't forget Seidenberg.

Old
01-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I am waiting for the inevitable "Whatever, you guys believe what you want, you don't know what your talking about" post.
or how about the "you guys have a history of overrating such average/mediocre players that you make Vancouver fans blush" post

Old
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Wait a minute now .. I thought you hated Colin White the most ...

Linkster
Rebuildt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
To me, it seems that he's just happy that he might get to go to a place where he can play and show that he still belongs in this league.
I'd be pretty dang happy if I had $2m to spend on a family vacation in Tahoe. ;-)

On the other hand, I'd be a heck of a lot more p.o.'ed if I'd booked a vacation in Tahoe months ago and there was no got-dang snow!

They have just enough right now to pile up in a small mound for Niitty's kids to sled down. My snowmobile, on the other hand, is sitting in the garage rusting. Curse you, Oklahoma!

Linkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:52 PM
sharkbite3
blood in the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsx View Post
Obviously we don't know the whole story, but it seems like the org has a little bit of an issue with doing this kind of stuff, remember Ian white saying there was no communication, and the Seto deal was just cold IMO.
I was wondering when Seto was a healthy scratch recently if his behavior had anything to do with being pissed about the current situation/being traded right after signing, etc. I remember Brodie interviewing him when the Wild visited SJ and he seemed like he was trying to hide that he was pretty bent out of shape. Didn't seem to do a great job of covering it up, though.

Old
01-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Les Wynan*

And, of course, there's no evidence that playing against better teams adversely affects save percentage. No team has the ability to consistently get a higher percentage of their shots from the scoring area than any other. The top five teams in even-strength shooting percentage this season (and therefore the ones against whom goaltenders as a whole have posted the worst SV%s) are Boston, Tampa Bay, New York, Anaheim and Toronto. Apart from the Bruins, those aren't good teams. Three of them are among the very worst in the NHL.

Les Wynan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
or how about the "you guys have a history of overrating such average/mediocre players that you make Vancouver fans blush" post
Nobody was making the claim that Greiss was anything more than average at this point. YOU were the one that claimed that he was the worst backup in the league.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote