HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke on with Bobcat

Old
01-25-2012, 05:50 PM
dubey
So hot right now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by contour View Post
Even though we know how Burke likes to build teams, it would of been nice to hear him speak:

http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/events/default.asp

The event:
TOPIC: How Winners are Built: Plays and Strategies From the NHL’s Top General Managers
GUEST SPEAKERS:
Brian Burke, President and General Manager, Toronto Maple Leafs (former General Manager, Anaheim Ducks)
Jason Farris, Author, Behind the Moves: NHL General Managers Tell how Winners are Built (circaNow Media, 2011); Executive Vice President - Business Operations & Development, Dallas Stars Hockey Club; former President and CEO of Citizens Bank of Canada
That would I have been cool to attend. Had to work out of Mississauga today.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 05:51 PM
grits207

As much as I'd love to keep Grabo, it's not too suprising that the Leafs haven't been able to re-sign him. I'd be willing to bet he made up his mind to test out the free agency market the second he saw Ville Leino sign that absurd contract.

grits207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 05:55 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

I'm lovin' Liles and his great character. That's a playoff guy right there.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 05:56 PM
rawsensation
The College Dropout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
I'm lovin' Liles and his great character. That's a playoff guy right there.
"I'd go through a wall for that man" Liles referring to Burke.

rawsensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:03 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawsensation View Post
Yeah I heard that this afternoon on 590.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Very short interview, around 8minutes. More of a pop in.

- When discussing pending UFAs mid season, we usually set a window opportunity. If we can't figure something out in that period of time, we leave it till the end of the year. It's happened already with Grabo earlier in the year, however we were successful in getting something done with Liles.

- As soon as Liles got off the plane he has been helping in the community and seems like a good fit on the team

Not much else that's groundbreaking.
thanks for the recap man and damn i hope something gets done.

01-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawsensation View Post
so awesome to hear a player that for our gm.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

I'd only be willing to move Grabo if it's in a package for: a young-ish 1st-line C, or a young 1st-line PWF winger. I really don't want us to move him for picks or prospects.

He's a great # 2 C.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:13 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
Not if he's asking for anything more than 4.5.

I love Grabo and wish we could keep him and hope we do, but 4 and a quarter at the most and ideally 4, assuming 55-60 points (we can talk more if he gets around 65 points). I easily keep him over Kulemin at this point. It's more than enough money, he has roots here and we were the ones that let him establish himself and make a name.

If he goes to UFA some team definitely gives him 5 or close to it.

As for Liles, I like him. He offers a presence we have back there that we don't yet have (Gardiner will get there) and he plays it chippy; he's better than Kaberle has been in five years. I think that this does open the door for a move, and I hope it's not Schenn.
He's not worth 5mil? How? There were a lot of players worse than him that got 5+ last year, not to mention GM's don't just focus on point totals when getting a player. Grabo with the way he's played the past 2 season's is easily worth 5+. In his time with the Leafs he's at least been on pace for 50 points every season, unfortunately injuries held him back from those accomplishments early on.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Im Old Gregggg

i ****ing hate when the bobcat critics hockey players he knows JACK **** .....

him and cox were ripping on grabo who is a very good 2nd line center, they said 3rd/4th liner wtf and wouldnt have high market value, and end up prasing clarke ****ing macartur get overyourselves

5 mil would be my breaking point but id be happy at 4.5m (hometown discount... i feel he'd get 5m on the open market seeing as he would be one of the best players available) for grabo to be our longterm 2nd line center plays with alot of heart and skilled... with connolly and bozak in the mix in the top 6 currently and colborne waiting in the wings if we do find a #1 he WILL be moved to save capspace and solve the logjam (along with lombardi going too... he's playing better lately could see a team make an offer for a slightly lower caphit player or a mid/late pick)

Last edited by Im Old Gregggg: 01-25-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Im Old Gregggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Looks like Grabo is gone.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Looks like Grabo is gone.

It's very common for contract negotiations to go down to the wire.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:37 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post

It's very common for contract negotiations to go down to the wire.
Have you forgotten where you are?

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Have you forgotten where you are?
I do my best to try and calm irrational thoughts.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:54 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Let's not forget that Grabo is likely one of the top UFA centers available. Going off the top of my head, I can't think of any natural centers that are head and shoulders above him that will be UFAs - at least from an offensive point of view.

As much as it would be nice to see him take a deal, he likely understands he could cash in huge if he makes it to the open market.

It's a hard situation for Burke to be in. If you deal Grabo it's not necessairly Grabo for a 1st (let's say), but it's Grabo for a 1st + the replacement player they'll make a pitch for as a UFA (most likely).

My guess is if Burke does deal him, he would want a prospect rather than a draft pick. Someone who's playing pro. A similar situation to that of Ponikarovsky where he was dealt for a prospect in the AHL who had the potential to step into the lineup the following year.

01-25-2012, 06:55 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Im not concerned about Grabo. If hes not here next season it means we have a #1C. Burke wont let us go into next season with Bozak and Connolly as our top two centres. He'll be resigned or we'll have someone else of greater calibre.

That said, it wouldnt shock me if Burke found a way get a #1C, and re-sign Grabo as #2. He'd have to dump salary, but im confident he could do that.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Cool Beans Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don Draper View Post
Meh. I'd offer Grabo a contract at 4.5 max, if he doesn't take it - he can walk. Not that big of a deal. He plays hard and doesn't deserve to be shortchanged and this team can adjust without him if we make a trade for a center in the off-season.
Burke's been trying to get that centreman the second he took over. So, it would be a big deal to just let him walk.

Burke's a negotiator. If Grabo really wants to stay (which with a condo and new family, I wager he does) then he might hear something like this, and look to make a fair deal for both sides.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 07:07 PM
david999

I really hope they can re-sign Grabo. He is one of the hardest working players on the Leafs, and our top center. Wilson loves his work ethic and overall attitude.

david999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
He sure didn't sound to enthusiastic when talking about keeping Grabovski.

It does look like Grabovski wants more than what the Leafs are prepared to give.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
on grabo, he said he tried negotiating something off-season, didnt lead to anything, no plans to negotiate in season, might move him, might keep him

my translation: grabo wants too much money, he is not coming back next season, BB is shopping him to see what he can get and
is raising the prospect of keeping him so his trade value doesn't bottom out

too bad

Similar "translations" of Burke's comments were made around Schenn's contract renewal phase.

He's using the media as a tool of negotiating power; nothing more, nothing less. If you are using those comments to conclude where the Grabovski negotiations have gone/are going/will go, it's senseless.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 07:23 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

At the very least, this should debunk all the Grabo taking a hometown discount speculations.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
At the very least, this should debunk all the Grabo taking a hometown discount speculations.
Why?

Negotiations are meant to be private and secretive - no need for Burke to splash out private information, irrespective of whether it's positive or negative info pertaining to his negotiating position.

He puts his players and their concerns first.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 07:26 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Similar "translations" of Burke's comments were made around Schenn's contract renewal phase.

He's using the media as a tool of negotiating power; nothing more, nothing less. If you are using those comments to conclude where the Grabovski negotiations have gone/are going/will go, it's senseless.
yea no kidding, although i knew burke's ambiguous comments would set off the negativity on this board

of course burke realizes it's a negotiation so he'll hold his cards close to the vest

i think we'll resign grabo here, unless burke finds a legit #1 C who demands big salary. i don't see bozak and connolly (lol) as our two centers next year

we might as well mail int he season

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 07:28 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
are you serious man? just because grabo hasn't resigned yet you're assuming he won't end up taking a discount????

he still has no idea how much he'll be offered in the market of what the leafs 'final' offer will be

it's still wayyyyy too early
common

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 07:44 PM
anderson3133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post

Schenn's contract renewal phase also allowed Burke a significantly larger window whereby he did not need to make such a black and white decision about his future with immediacy.

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:20 PM
namttebih

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Old Gregggg View Post
i ****ing hate when the bobcat critics hockey players he knows JACK **** .....

him and cox were ripping on grabo who is a very good 2nd line center, they said 3rd/4th liner wtf and wouldnt have high market value, and end up prasing clarke ****ing macartur get overyourselves

5 mil would be my breaking point but id be happy at 4.5m (hometown discount... i feel he'd get 5m on the open market seeing as he would be one of the best players available) for grabo to be our longterm 2nd line center plays with alot of heart and skilled... with connolly and bozak in the mix in the top 6 currently and colborne waiting in the wings if we do find a #1 he WILL be moved to save capspace and solve the logjam (along with lombardi going too... he's playing better lately could see a team make an offer for a slightly lower caphit player or a mid/late pick)
I know. I've made the switch to Sybalski.

namttebih is offline   Reply With Quote