HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke on with Bobcat

Old
01-25-2012, 07:44 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 1005
http://www.thestar.com/article/11213...hail-grabovski

“We’re not even close to that. That will be a factor, whether a guy is unrestricted or not, but I accept unrestricted guys, too, if they can help us get to where we want to get,” Burke said.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 07:49 PM
RogerRoeper*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Old Gregggg View Post
i ****ing hate when the bobcat critics hockey players he knows JACK **** .....

him and cox were ripping on grabo who is a very good 2nd line center, they said 3rd/4th liner wtf and wouldnt have high market value, and end up prasing clarke ****ing macartur get overyourselves

5 mil would be my breaking point but id be happy at 4.5m (hometown discount... i feel he'd get 5m on the open market seeing as he would be one of the best players available) for grabo to be our longterm 2nd line center plays with alot of heart and skilled... with connolly and bozak in the mix in the top 6 currently and colborne waiting in the wings if we do find a #1 he WILL be moved to save capspace and solve the logjam (along with lombardi going too... he's playing better lately could see a team make an offer for a slightly lower caphit player or a mid/late pick)
I just don't listen to a man who admits to not watching hockey. He knows nothing about the current game.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Im Old Gregggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I just don't listen to a man who admits to not watching hockey. He knows nothing about the current game.
and yet he always has to chime in about the leafs and leafs only always negative, i enjoy listening to burke on that show since he always makes the bobcat look like a fool

cox is brutal too, RIP jim kelly ....

Im Old Gregggg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Vexed

I thought their assessment of Grabo was spot on if you are talking about his place on a contending team

Vexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
He's not worth 5mil? How? There were a lot of players worse than him that got 5+ last year, not to mention GM's don't just focus on point totals when getting a player. Grabo with the way he's played the past 2 season's is easily worth 5+. In his time with the Leafs he's at least been on pace for 50 points every season, unfortunately injuries held him back from those accomplishments early on.
I love Grabo because he never takes a night off and he can chip in the points with consistency, but come on, you'd pony up 5 mil for a small 50-60 point guy with heart who has an average two-way game, isn't soft but offers little in the way of physicality and doesn't play in every situation? His market value outside of a UFA situation is 3-4.25.

Last year, when he got 29-29-58, the guys in that same area included; Milan Lucic (4.083, also was considered an overpayment until last year), Ryane Clowe (3.625), Dustin Brown (3.175) and RJ Umberger (3.75). Every one of those players is more physical and better defensively than Grabo.

Is he good? Yeah. Is he good enough to be making just .4 mil less than a guy who will have his fourth consecutive 30-goal season in 2-4 weeks? LOL No.

He should take a discount, when he got here he was a problem child and we handed him 17 minutes a game (19 last year) to let him show us what he can do, and that he has. You can easily raise two kids in Toronto on 3.5 million per year. Repay loyalty with loyalty.

I hope Burkie does all that he can to keep him, but all that he can do within reason. It's not like he's 23 and 6'2 205, he's 27 and 5'11 185. Giving him more than 4.25 (and again, ideally 3.75-4.0) is asinine, but then again, there was a team out there that gave Ville Leino 27 over 6. I don't see Burke getting sucked into a bidding war for him, that's called letting your emotions cloud your judgment, and that's not how you go about building a contending team.

Bob McCown knows nothing about what he's talking about. Calling Grabo a 3rd-line center (maybe on the Bruins, Canucks, Blackhawks, Kings, Sharks, Lightning and Canucks) and Bozak a 4th-line center (I like him as a 3rd-2nd tweener). Dumbass.

Last edited by Voodoo Child: 01-25-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Voodoo Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:33 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
http://www.thestar.com/article/11213...hail-grabovski

“We’re not even close to that. That will be a factor, whether a guy is unrestricted or not, but I accept unrestricted guys, too, if they can help us get to where we want to get,” Burke said.
/baseless speculation

This link pretty much kills any trade Grabo talk for the time being.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:36 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Why?

Negotiations are meant to be private and secretive - no need for Burke to splash out private information, irrespective of whether it's positive or negative info pertaining to his negotiating position.

He puts his players and their concerns first.
Grabo: Hey, Burkie. I'd love to stay here, and I'll even take a discount to stay with my good buddy, Kulie. How does $3.5M sound?
Burke: Holy $#@*!! Are you serious?!? Oh wait, we really can't do this deal right now. We should wait until the end of the season to see how things stand.

Not a likely scenario. More likely response:

Burke: Just sign on the dotted line right here.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:38 PM
GardinerExpressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
I love Grabo because he never takes a night off and he can chip in the points with consistency, but come on, you'd pony up 5 mil for a small 50-60 point guy with heart who has an average two-way game, isn't soft but offers little in the way of physicality and doesn't play in every situation? His market value outside of a UFA situation is 3-4.25.

Last year, when he got 29-29-58, the guys in that same area included; Milan Lucic (4.083, also was considered an overpayment until last year), Ryane Clowe (3.625), Dustin Brown (3.175) and RJ Umberger (3.75). Every one of those players is more physical and better defensively than Grabo.

Is he good? Yeah. Is he good enough to be making just .4 mil less than a guy who will be have his fourth consecutive 30-goal season in 2-4 weeks? LOL No.

He should take a discount, when he got here he was a problem child and we handed him 17 minutes a game (19 last year) to let him show us what he can do, and that he has. You can easily raise two kids in Toronto on 3.5 million per year. Repay loyalty with loyalty.

I hope Burkie does all that he can to keep him, but all that he can do within reason. It's not like he's 23 and 6'2 205, he's 27 and 5'11 185. Giving him more than 4.25 (and again, ideally 3.75-4.0) is asinine, but then again, there was a team out there that gave Ville Leino 27 over 6. I don't see Burke getting sucked into a bidding war for him, that's called letting your emotions cloud your judgment, and that's not how you go about building a contending team.

Bob McCown knows nothing about what he's talking about. Calling Grabo a 3rd-line center (maybe on the Bruins, Canucks, Blackhawks, Kings, Sharks, Lightning and Canucks) and Bozak a 4th-line center (I like him as a 3rd-2nd tweener). Dumbass.
I like the way you think.

I agree that Grabo is not a third line center, but his value is really in the possibility of being able to pay him like one (a good one) while he actually works the second line due his natural shortcomings in size and physicality.

Another area of his game that I would love him to improve is faceoffs. I recognise that his size prevents him from learning all of Steckel's tricks, but I'd like to have reasonable expectations that he can joust for around 45% against the top third on the spot in the league (evening out at around 50%-55% on the season). He's just under 50% right now on the season, which if I'm not mistaken is an improvement, but it feels like there are still lots of games where I look at his stat line and he's like 1/8 or the like. You just can't have a second line center losing puck possession at that rate in a game and expect to win consistently.

GardinerExpressway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
I thought their assessment of Grabo was spot on if you are talking about his place on a contending team
I don't think that's true. If the Leafs had that legit #1 C, wouldn't Grabo look great as the #2 C behind him? How many points do you expect a 2nd line C to score? I think he is a fine 2nd line C. He is better than Connolly, and people say that Connolly is a great 2nd line C.

Last edited by Suntouchable13: 01-25-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auliewantsisplayoffs View Post
I like the way you think.

I agree that Grabo is not a third line center, but his value is really in the possibility of being able to pay him like one (a good one) while he actually works the second line due his natural shortcomings in size and physicality.

Another area of his game that I would love him to improve is faceoffs. I recognise that his size prevents him from learning all of Steckel's tricks, but I'd like to have reasonable expectations that he can joust for around 45% against the top third on the spot in the league (evening out at around 50%-55% on the season). He's just under 50% right now on the season, which if I'm not mistaken is an improvement, but it feels like there are still lots of games where I look at his stat line and he's like 1/8 or the like. You just can't have a second line center losing puck possession at that rate in a game and expect to win consistently.
Exactly. Grabo is my third-favorite forward (guess who he's behind?), and I really do want to keep him, I think he'd be great behind a good #1 center, but I don't want to be paying too much just to keep him. Burke should have contract talks going right now, so in case the team takes a nosedive and he'll cost too much to keep, he can be shipped at the deadline (unsigned Grabo is definitely worth a 1st from a contending team).

There's lots to love about his game (offense, heart, effort, skating, shot), but there's also lots that isn't so good (size, physicality, faceoffs, defensive play), be real people. He's 27; what we see, is probably what we're going to get, and while what we're getting from Grabovski is pretty good, there's no way in hell it's worth 5 per year.

He's a fan favorite, but that doesn't mean he's entitled to more money. The buyout from the last fan-favorite that we overpaid is still on the books.

Old
01-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Vexed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
I don't think that's true. If the Leafs had that legit #1 C, wouldn't Grabo look like great as the #2 C behind him? How many points do you expect a 2nd line C to score? I think he is a fine 2nd line C. He is better than Connolly, and people say that Connolly is a great 2nd line C.
I think on any contender he is a 3rd-2nd line tweener. Points are only a part of the equation.

Of course, so much depends on the make-up of the team in question but I still think he sits on a third line on any current contender

Vexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Eb
TML

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
For some reason to me Grabo seems like the type that would take a bit of a discount. Seems like he really likes T.O and loves being on the team. I hope im right.
That's what I thought too... but who really knows except for Grabo

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:19 PM
SteveV*

3 years 13 million sounds fair.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:23 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
arent those pretty close to the list of Contending teams? u can add Philly with Giroux and Briere Pitts aswell. other then those I would say maybe NYR has a shot at the cup so wouldn't that be a pretty accurate rating as a good third line center on a contending team?

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:30 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:

Is he good? Yeah. Is he good enough to be making just .4 mil less than a guy who will have his fourth consecutive 30-goal season in 2-4 weeks? LOL No.

WOW! Don't know why I bother...

Grabo is used in almost every situation, I don't know what you're talking about. He's been used on the PP, PK(although rarely), he's put out against other teams top lines and is effective at shutting them down, he gets put out in the final minute of play to either contain a lead or to try and tie it up. This season he is the Leafs best 2-way forward.

Why are you using those players as comparables? I'd like to see those teams sign them for that price again. 1. they were signed when the cap was different and not as high and 2. They most likely weren't playing as good as they are now, ridiculous comparison. If Ville I've had one half decent season and a good playoff Leino can get 4.75 mil, then Grabo would easily be able to get that + on the open market.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:53 PM
ECanuck
FLOATERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Looks like Grabo is gone.
Noooooooo!!

ECanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:33 PM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
WOW! Don't know why I bother...

Grabo is used in almost every situation, I don't know what you're talking about. He's been used on the PP, PK(although rarely), he's put out against other teams top lines and is effective at shutting them down, he gets put out in the final minute of play to either contain a lead or to try and tie it up. This season he is the Leafs best 2-way forward.

Why are you using those players as comparables? I'd like to see those teams sign them for that price again. 1. they were signed when the cap was different and not as high and 2. They most likely weren't playing as good as they are now, ridiculous comparison. If Ville I've had one half decent season and a good playoff Leino can get 4.75 mil, then Grabo would easily be able to get that + on the open market.
Well of course he gets PP time; he's a 55 point forward, why wouldn't he?

He gets less than 30 seconds a game on the PK, and it's not like were flush with forward options on the PK (Crabb, Kulemin, Brown and Steckel have been the only real reliable PK forwards this season). He doesn't get miniscule PK minutes because he gets a lot of regular ice time; he gets miniscule PK minutes because he's not good at it.

Grabo is good at what he does, but he's not a guy who plays massive PP minutes, big-time PK minutes and he's not an ideal guy to have out there in the last minute protecting a one-goal lead. That is what separates the 60-point guys who get 5 million from the 60-point guys who get between 3.5 and 4. I love him, his heart and hustle and how much he enjoys the city, but I won't let my emotions get in the way of saying that he's one thing when he's something else. Grabo ultimately is what he is, a reliable secondary-scoring option, but he's not what he's not; an irreplaceable component of a contending team.

Lucic needs a new deal after next year, Brown has two after this one and RJ's kicks in after this season (4.6). Who would I use as a comparable? Bergeron? Better offensively and supremely better defensively, 5 even for two more seasons. Havlat? Over 500 career points and better defensively, 5 even for 3 more seasons. Ladd? Powerforward and team leader, 4.4 for four more years. Plekanec? About equal offensively but near-elite defensively, 5 for four more seasons. All these guys had about as many points as Grabo last year, and aside from Havlat (injury-prone)...are you saying that you'd give Grabo more than Ladd and RJ and as much as Bergeron and Plekanec?

Leino was overpaid by an overzealous owner looking to make a splash and his price was driven up by a bidding war and a stellar playoff performance the year earlier, and I get the feeling that his signing will make the owners a little gun-shy this year about handing out that kind of money and term to relatively unproven players. Totally different than trying to retain a soon-to-be UFA.

I gather that what you're trying to say is that Grabo would get 5 on an open UFA market. I agree with that assertion (every year some idiot always overpays), but I also think that if that happens, it'd be dumb of Burke to try and top it. Grabo is a good complimentary piece to the organization, but he doesn't deserve cornerstone money (5 and up), he might one day (ie if we keep him for 3 years at 4 and he breaks 70 points), but not today.

Last edited by Voodoo Child: 01-25-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old
01-25-2012, 10:33 PM
trickster

I am thrilled. When I heard this I thought TIME for a NEW JERSEY!
Not sure I will actually get a Liles jersey, but my Schenn jersey is feeling vulnerable right now...

trickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:36 PM
Dutch77
Predictable..

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster View Post
I am thrilled. When I heard this I thought TIME for a NEW JERSEY!
Not sure I will actually get a Liles jersey, but my Schenn jersey is feeling vulnerable right now...
I have a Lindros jersey.

Dutch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:22 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Well of course he gets PP time; he's a 55 point forward, why wouldn't he?

He gets less than 30 seconds a game on the PK, and it's not like were flush with forward options on the PK (Crabb, Kulemin, Brown and Steckel have been the only real reliable PK forwards this season). He doesn't get miniscule PK minutes because he gets a lot of regular ice time; he gets miniscule PK minutes because he's not good at it.

Grabo is good at what he does, but he's not a guy who plays massive PP minutes, big-time PK minutes and he's not an ideal guy to have out there in the last minute protecting a one-goal lead. That is what separates the 60-point guys who get 5 million from the 60-point guys who get between 3.5 and 4. I love him, his heart and hustle and how much he enjoys the city, but I won't let my emotions get in the way of saying that he's one thing when he's something else. Grabo ultimately is what he is, a reliable secondary-scoring option, but he's not what he's not; an irreplaceable component of a contending team.

Lucic needs a new deal after next year, Brown has two after this one and RJ's kicks in after this season (4.6). Who would I use as a comparable? Bergeron? Better offensively and supremely better defensively, 5 even for two more seasons. Havlat? Over 500 career points and better defensively, 5 even for 3 more seasons. Ladd? Powerforward and team leader, 4.4 for four more years. Plekanec? About equal offensively but near-elite defensively, 5 for four more seasons. All these guys had about as many points as Grabo last year, and aside from Havlat (injury-prone)...are you saying that you'd give Grabo more than Ladd and RJ and as much as Bergeron and Plekanec?

Leino was overpaid by an overzealous owner looking to make a splash and his price was driven up by a bidding war and a stellar playoff performance the year earlier, and I get the feeling that his signing will make the owners a little gun-shy this year about handing out that kind of money and term to relatively unproven players. Totally different than trying to retain a soon-to-be UFA.

I gather that what you're trying to say is that Grabo would get 5 on an open UFA market. I agree with that assertion (every year some idiot always overpays), but I also think that if that happens, it'd be dumb of Burke to try and top it. Grabo is a good complimentary piece to the organization, but he doesn't deserve cornerstone money (5 and up), he might one day (ie if we keep him for 3 years at 4 and he breaks 70 points), but not today.
How is it not ideal to have Grabo out there in the dying minutes? Especially since he comes up huge everytime he is.

Tell me what 60 point player gets less than 5mil when they hit the open market? How is 5mil+ "cornerstone" money? Have you seen the cap? If this was 2+ years ago then I'd agree, but it's not. Cornerstone type $ would be 6mil+, not 5. 5mil now would be like the equivalent of about 3.5-4mil 2 years ago.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:37 PM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

5M per for 4/5 years is a good contract for Grabs.

He's given us a few solid years so it shouldn't be like MacArthur(only one good year) on a 2/3 year deal.

He shouldn't take less than what Burke gave to Connolly(4.75 per), a top 6 UFA center.

BTW, Burke is BS'ing on negotiating because he went down to the wire negotiating with Moore. IMO Grabs will sign before the deadline to the contract I stated above or be traded.

Last edited by A1LeafNation: 01-25-2012 at 11:46 PM.
A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson3133 View Post
Schenn's contract renewal phase also allowed Burke a significantly larger window whereby he did not need to make such a black and white decision about his future with immediacy.
Is there a point you are trying to make ?

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:48 PM
Tak7

You people amaze me. Losing your heads over a few comments he made in a radio interview.

Do you honestly expect Burke to come out and say - "We have our number, and it's entirely upto them now. All the pressure is on them?" What kind of negotiating tactic, and what kind of player-first type of GM move is that??

Rather, what he said was this. And I'll right this in capital letters to make sure you all understand.

1 - HE DID NOT GUARANTEE THAT GRABOVSKI WOULD NOT BE TRADED BEFORE THE DEADLINE

2 - HE DID NOT GUARANTEE THAT GRABOVSKI WOULD BE TRADED BEFORE THE DEADLINE

3 - HE DID NOT MIND KEEPING GRABOVSKI BEYOND THE DEADLINE, AS A PENDING UFA, PUSH FOR THE PLAYOFFS, AND THEN TRY AND RE-SIGN HIM IN THE SUMMER

3 - HE DID NOT MIND KEEPING GRABOVSKI IN A SIMILAR SCENARIO TO ABOVE, AND THEN RISK GRABO WALKING.

...Do you see what he did there? In case you haven't, he's left the door open on ALL possibilities. He's not said anything there that should make people think "Grabo won't re-sign" or "Grabo is asking for too much money".

How ANYONE gets those sorts of conclusions from the comments that Burke made, is well beyond me. There's reading in between the lines, and then there's flat out making up ******** which is what I think a lot of people do around here.

Burke didn't make a SINGLE comment in that interview that should make anyone suggest that Grabovski is either definitely staying or definitely going. If you want to be naive and ignorant enough to try and make conclusions one way or another, go right ahead. Make sure you get your head checked soon after you do so though, because some marbles aren't rolling in the right direction

Old
01-25-2012, 11:57 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
I think on any contender he is a 3rd-2nd line tweener. Points are only a part of the equation.

Of course, so much depends on the make-up of the team in question but I still think he sits on a third line on any current contender
I feel like he's in that Joe Pavelski class, so definitely a second liner...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:35 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Grabo: Hey, Burkie. I'd love to stay here, and I'll even take a discount to stay with my good buddy, Kulie. How does $3.5M sound?
Burke: Holy $#@*!! Are you serious?!? Oh wait, we really can't do this deal right now. We should wait until the end of the season to see how things stand.

Not a likely scenario. More likely response:

Burke: Just sign on the dotted line right here.
I'm not sure I get the point of your post. My point still stands - Burke has nothing to gain by going public with anything that has been discussed with Grabovski's camp.

He's a player's GM, and will respect their right to privacy by not broadcasting anything discussed in private negotiations with the open public