HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

CBJ Fans fed up and are protesting the losing ways

Old
01-25-2012, 05:49 PM
CrazyCanucks

vCash: 500
CBJ Fans fed up and are protesting the losing ways

Looks like the CBJ fans have had enough of the incompetent managemant of Howson and want him gone. They are planning a protest at Nationwide on Saturday

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/jan/...ide-ar-909756/

Quote:
The Columbus Blue Jackets are off for a few days as the NHL reaches the All-Star break.

But fans won't be taking time away from Nationwide, as a group of fans is planning a protest for Saturday.

NBC4 reached out to the Blue Jackets organization for comment, but a spokesperson said they do not have one at this time.

Some fans who said they will participate in the protest said they want to message to be clear: they love the team, but want to see a winning product on the ice and a change in management.

Last edited by Sojourn: 01-25-2012 at 06:40 PM.
CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:19 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Since this whole ordeal is gaining media steam in the Columbus area (and probably some places outside of Columbus will thus pick up on it), we'll let this thread stand, BUT, two conditions must be met:

1.) It stays on-topic. The last thread got locked because it veered off-topic enough, and if people aren't careful, this thread will meet the same fate. We don't need every line from the Simpsons or South Park quoted, for example. If it doesn't have a legit connection to Columbus fans' planned protest, I would advise not discussing it.

2.) You bash Columbus senselessly, you're infracted and threadbanned. This includes, but is not limited to, "Move the team somewhere else" comments AND those "Canada disrespects Columbus" comments.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Quarter
Exploding Knees

I'd be pissed to if the Leafs finished in the bottom 10 for 10 years and could only successfully develop one of them.

Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Preds fan that will be there in spirit. No one deserves a bad team. I can't wait to see Columbus get better management and start playing better!

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:23 PM
SaxMan

What are their demands? How can protesting help the team get better?

SaxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:26 PM
PensFever71

Columbus management would be smart to run a good merchandise sale from some outdoor booths.

PensFever71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:28 PM
CrazyCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxMan View Post
They have had bad incompetent management that doesn't recognize its issues. For example, the goalie situation. Mason has been a disaster for the last 3 years, but he is still there, and the back they got was a guy who played in 1 NHL game.

Old
01-25-2012, 06:36 PM
sal00

Just out of curiosity, Nashville and Columbus were brought to the NHL at around the same era. Granted Nashville got the benefit of a few years of head-start, what exactly are the reasons for Columbus to be so far off in success comparing to its neighbouring franchise? Is it completely the problem of the management?

sal00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:38 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal00 View Post
Just out of curiosity, Nashville and Columbus were brought to the NHL at around the same era. Granted Nashville got the benefit of a few years of head-start, what exactly are the reasons for Columbus to be so far off in success comparing to its neighbouring franchise? Is it completely the problem of the management?
Yes. Top to bottom. No offense Jackets fans, but they probably have the worst scouts (Pro and Amateur) in the entire NHL. They need to clean house and start fresh with a competent group.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Robert Theodorson

I support your cause those of you who are going or participating in some manner.

I'm surprised you're all not Wings or Pens fans by now

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:40 PM
The Big Giant Head

vCash: 50
Quote:
Wouldnt it have to be?

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Inub0i
I will Q

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Good for those going to protest. The Jackets need a wake up call that their Management and Front office needs an overhaul.

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Wildcarder

It's a shame because Columbus actually has a solid hockey fanbase and deserves to see a better product.

Can't blame management as much this year, they really did try to make some big changes bringing in Carter and Wiz.

Wildcarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:46 PM
CrazyCanucks

Quote:
I think the biggest reason is the Scouting and development. Nashville has spent the time and money to develop the prospects in the minors, whereas the CBJ rushed some of the picks up to the big club and got sucked into the vacuum of suck-age.

Old
01-25-2012, 06:47 PM
sal00

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Giant Head View Post
Wouldnt it have to be?
Was just wondering about other external factors.

This has nothing against Columbus itself, but like many mentioned in the Trade Proposals section, there is a "perceived" disadvantage for a non-traditional hockey market in attracting high profiled Free Agents. (i.e. they have to have extra incentive, often bigger contracts, to sign someone as opposed to teams like Detroit and Toronto.)

This certainly does not help teams with internal caps.

(on a more constructive note, what then can be done to promote players to sign in small market teams)

Old
01-25-2012, 06:49 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
I think the biggest reason is the Scouting and development. Nashville has spent the time and money to develop the prospects in the minors, whereas the CBJ rushed some of the picks up to the big club and got sucked into the vacuum of suck-age.
Two other things to add, which have upset fans.

1.) Doug MacLean was GM for way too long and set the franchise back years.

2.) Media reports out of Columbus -- for what they are worth -- said that Scott Howson was under no pressure to make any changes this season, including the firing of Scott Arniel as head coach, and there are other indications that Howson and president Mike Priest aren't on the firing line. We suck that bad but yet there are no hot seats being turned on by ownership? If I were owner, every seat would be bursting into flames. This apparent passive nature of ownership isn't sitting too well with the fans.

Old
01-25-2012, 06:53 PM
sal00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Two other things to add, which have upset fans.

1.) Doug MacLean was GM for way too long and set the franchise back years.

2.) Media reports out of Columbus -- for what they are worth -- said that Scott Howson was under no pressure to make any changes this season, including the firing of Scott Arniel as head coach, and there are other indications that Howson and president Mike Priest aren't on the firing line. We suck that bad but yet there are no hot seats being turned on by ownership? If I were owner, every seat would be bursting into flames. This apparent passive nature of ownership isn't sitting too well with the fans.
Honest question, who owns the team and does he/she/the group have experience with sports franchise? How passionate are they? (Pegula good or Wang bad) Shouldn't the fans actually collectively address it to the ownership the same way others did in basketball/baseball?

Old
01-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Honest question, who owns the team and does he/she/the group have experience with sports franchise? How passionate are they? (Pegula good or Wang bad) Shouldn't the fans actually collectively address it to the ownership the same way others did in basketball/baseball?
John P. McConnell inherited the team when the original owner, his father, John H. McConnell, passed away back in spring 2008.

JHM was the guy who brought the franchise into the city and did what he could to make it happen. He cared about Columbus and felt getting a pro franchise was a way he could give back to the city he so loved. I don't know what JPM's passion is for it, but given he hasn't sold the team off, he apparently has some level of passion. It's just questioned as to if that level of passion is enough. I think other CBJ fans with better connections may give a better answer than me.

Old
01-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Swervin81
Disgruntled Leaf Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
Nashville does a great job of developing guys. Weber, Suter, Ellis, Legwand, Colin Wilson etc. They also have, IMO, the best coach in the NHL in Barry Trotz.

Anyways, good for the CBJ fans to do this. They have some great enthusiasm, despite being yanked around and ****ed by incompetent management. Don't forget that the only superstar they ever developed themselves was Nash, maybe Knutsen a close 2nd.

Swervin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:16 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxMan View Post
Demands are for the firing of the team President (a guy with NO hockey experience) and the General Manager Scott Howson immediately. We also demand the owners get serious and give the organization the experienced, NHL-caliber people needed at all levels within the next year, so the club has a fighting chance to become an elite franchise.

It pains me to say this, but we need to start acting more like Detroit and Nashville and stop just being happy to have a team. Nashville had their moment of awakening. Hopefully, this is ours.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:37 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Preds fan that will be there in spirit. No one deserves a bad team. I can't wait to see Columbus get better management and start playing better!
appreciate it.. seriously.

all we want is to be respectable. we have such a nice city and nice arena and it has been a mess and a shame

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:42 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
I support your cause those of you who are going or participating in some manner.

I'm surprised you're all not Wings or Pens fans by now
most of us started fans of other teams before a team came here.. I was a hawks fan and I know many pens and wings (ew) fans and would venture to say I know more than jackets fans.

it has hard not to go back to our "old" teams, but harder to leave the jackets (at least for me).

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:45 PM
YellowJacket

Columbus not doing well is pissing me off. They have awesome fans (as evident by their playoff appearance) and their jerseys are among the coolest looking in the league. Hope management listens to the fans for once and learns how to develop their players.

I wish them luck in this protest.

YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:47 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Good for the fans.

Howson shouldnt be a GM. I think that much is clear. And now there's rumors of Carter being available? Talk about a bad situation.

They have a great franchise centerman in Johansen.

If I was them, i'd move everything else in including Nash. Change the entire culture of that team.

Also bring in a different GM and not a recycled one who has been a failure elsewhere.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:51 PM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 1700
Good luck, I hope they listen to the fans for once!

WPGNYRFan is online now   Reply With Quote