Old
01-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Hammer Slammer

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
they have rookies
Not anymore, might be injured. They dropped out a few days ago.

Old
01-28-2012, 06:42 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
they have rookies
No. Larsson and Henrique are out.

Old
01-28-2012, 07:03 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny 204 View Post
I thought there was supposed to be representation of each NHL club? Anyway, I hope Chevy looks at this as a kick in the teeth, we have no all-star worthy players and it's his job to bring some here.
Could have had Sean Couturier.

No pressure Scheiffele.

Old
01-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Tdoe42

Benn is quite the sniper

Old
01-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Tdoe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeshift We Are View Post
Anyone try that Vern's pizza? New place by Giant Tiger on... Mcleod?
Good! its well done...

I just ordered from this place called Summers pizza its by the East perimeter on transport road of all places my second time I was impressed the first time

Edit: 5 outta 5!! ...and only took 25 mins!

Last edited by Tdoe42: 01-28-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old
01-28-2012, 09:08 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post

No pressure Scheiffele.
Scheifele

Old
01-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Conflicted Habs fan

Quote:

Old
01-28-2012, 10:37 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Ahhhhh the villa!
wonderful establishment

Old
01-28-2012, 10:37 PM
PostmanPat1919

Quote:

No pressure Scheiffele.
Forget the ?

Old
01-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

I don't see the jokes in that post...

Don't get me wrong Scheifele is a good kid with a tremendous upside but the same thing can be said about Couturier who is already able to produce at an NHL level.

Old
01-28-2012, 10:59 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
Or maybe the Jets fans who didn't care enough to vote a player in.
pretty sure that wasn't the issue...you might want to check the fan base/population of the teams we were competing against for all star spots.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:32 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
I don't see the jokes in that post...

Don't get me wrong Scheifele is a good kid with a tremendous upside but the same thing can be said about Couturier who is already able to produce at an NHL level.
yeah i was only half joking...its way too early to judge chevy on that pick...he might be a genius but we wont know for at least 2 years.

that being said, the guy who everyone thought he should pick was taking breakaways in the all star skills competition tonight, is a key player on the flyers and has almost as many points as the Jets' first line centre.....while scheif looked out of his element at the world juniors playing against teenagers.

there is some pressure on the kid because the jets reached to take him....until he finds his way in the NHL he will be compared to Couturier....especially as he has paid dividends already.

i wonder if chevy could choose between them right now would he make the same decision?

Old
01-28-2012, 11:45 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Fair enough, but I don't EVER recall somebody getting hurt in an ASG and I don't see that changing. The odds are so far against it when compared to watching a Jet in the game, I'd rather have a Jet in the game.

Unfortunatly D have to go by round 15. Would love to see him go in round 15 as the last D though, unfortunatly Lupul will prob get him on the team I am REALLY cheering for in the Chara team (huge Chara fan here )
Jonas Hiller. Puck to the mask. Unexplained dizziness for months. Possibly Vertigo. Missed remainder of that season. But you make a great point. Injuries are very rare at the ASG.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:49 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

Quote:

No pressure Scheiffele.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflicted Habs fan View Post
I really don't see why this is so facepalm. Couturier is going to be one hell of a player. The is that they picked Schiefele. Don't get me wrong, there's no doubt he'll be a top 6 forward as well. But they really took a gamble, and they wasted a pick.

If the Jets had picked Couturier...well first of all no one would say we could have picked Schiefele (am I spelling it right)...but if they did there would be epic facepalms over that comment. No one would've regretted picking S.C. Let's be real here. I'm glad the Ducks got Fowler. But if we got Hall or Seguin I'd be MUCH happier.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:56 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I really don't see why this is so facepalm. Couturier is going to be one hell of a player. The is that they picked Schiefele. Don't get me wrong, there's no doubt he'll be a top 6 forward as well. But they really took a gamble, and they wasted a pick.

If the Jets had picked Couturier...well first of all no one would say we could have picked Schiefele (am I spelling it right)...but if they did there would be epic facepalms over that comment. No one would've regretted picking S.C. Let's be real here. I'm glad the Ducks got Fowler. But if we got Hall or Seguin I'd be MUCH happier.
You realize these two statements contradict each other? How can you say we wasted a pick if we get a top 6 player out of it? And there is no guarantee that Couturier will become so great player. I don't know why people want to judge a players career less then a year after they're drafted. Sure, compare guys are they are going forward, but saying one guy was a better pick over the other this soon is literally naive and, to be blunt, dumb.

Old
01-29-2012, 12:50 AM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
You realize these two statements contradict each other? How can you say we wasted a pick if we get a top 6 player out of it? And there is no guarantee that Couturier will become so great player. I don't know why people want to judge a players career less then a year after they're drafted. Sure, compare guys are they are going forward, but saying one guy was a better pick over the other this soon is literally naive and, to be blunt, dumb.
Really? It's dumb? Is that why Couturier made the NHL on one of the best team's in the league? Yes...he may develop into the better player. By the same extension I could say that Rikard Rakell will be the best player from that draft one day. But he likely won't.

And again. If they HAD drafted Couturier. You'd call me dumb if I said they should've drafted Scheifele instead.

Old
01-29-2012, 01:09 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Really? It's dumb? Is that why Couturier made the NHL on one of the best team's in the league? Yes...he may develop into the better player. By the same extension I could say that Rikard Rakell will be the best player from that draft one day. But he likely won't.

And again. If they HAD drafted Couturier. You'd call me dumb if I said they should've drafted Scheifele instead.
He made the team because his style of play fit well into the role he was given whereas Scheifele's style was not developed enough for a top 6 role, and playing him in a checking role would have been useless for a kid that doesn't play that game. Couturier clearly fits well into a bottom 6 role because of his style. That is very clear.

Talk about grasping at straws dude.

Old
01-29-2012, 01:45 AM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
He made the team because his style of play fit well into the role he was given whereas Scheifele's style was not developed enough for a top 6 role, and playing him in a checking role would have been useless for a kid that doesn't play that game. Couturier clearly fits well into a bottom 6 role because of his style. That is very clear.

Talk about grasping at straws dude.

Again. If Couturier was a Jet we wouldn't be having this conversation and Mark Schifele would rarely cross your mind. If at all.

I get it. He's the franchise's first pick. It's special. That doesn't mean we should go all homer mode. Emerson Etem is an amazing player. I'll admit that Mark Stone has been more impressive. Cam Fowler was a hell of a steal. Alex Pietrangelo is probably going to be a better player. I can accept these facts. I am a Jets fan as well. And if I'm being objective. I see Couturier being the better player.

And I asked why it's necessary to facepalm if you have my opinion. I mean just like it's not certain Couturier will be the better player, it's not certain Schiefele will be either. Though based on information we have+scouting reports, it would appear that Couturier should've been the pick. I'll wait until Schiefele changes my mind for me to say something different. And it's perfectly plausible that he can. I'm meerly questioning the pick. I'm not writing off the Jet's top prospect just cause I like another prospect more, I'm meerly wondering why they didn't pick the consensus best player available, and how that will affect this team in the future.

Old
01-29-2012, 02:34 AM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

It's really impossible to say right now who is going to be the better player if they both live up to their potential but as of right now Couturier is already living up to his in the NHL Mark might or might not I agree with Duckjet I question the pick a bit and even if Mark becomes a top 6 forward it doesn't mean the pick wasn't a wasted opportunity if we could have had a better player in Couturier and we reached for Mark instead and while Couturier is already looking damn good were a long way of from a definitive answer IMO

Old
01-29-2012, 02:39 AM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post
It's really impossible to say right now who is going to be the better player if they both live up to their potential but as of right now Couturier is already living up to his in the NHL Mark might or might not I agree with Duckjet I question the pick a bit and even if Mark becomes a top 6 forward it doesn't mean the pick wasn't a wasted opportunity if we could have had a better player in Couturier and we reached for Mark instead and while Couturier is already looking damn good were a long way of from a definitive answer IMO
Basically what I was saying the whole time. We won't know. But from what we know, we gave Philly a damn good player.

Old
01-29-2012, 05:00 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
Are the Jets the only team without representation at the All Star Game?
To be fair, when Buff went down, they invited both Kane and Enstrom. Kane was injured, Enstrom had travel plans.

Old
01-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:

Again. If Couturier was a Jet we wouldn't be having this conversation and Mark Schifele would rarely cross your mind. If at all.

I get it. He's the franchise's first pick. It's special. That doesn't mean we should go all homer mode. Emerson Etem is an amazing player. I'll admit that Mark Stone has been more impressive. Cam Fowler was a hell of a steal. Alex Pietrangelo is probably going to be a better player. I can accept these facts. I am a Jets fan as well. And if I'm being objective. I see Couturier being the better player.

And I asked why it's necessary to facepalm if you have my opinion. I mean just like it's not certain Couturier will be the better player, it's not certain Schiefele will be either. Though based on information we have+scouting reports, it would appear that Couturier should've been the pick. I'll wait until Schiefele changes my mind for me to say something different. And it's perfectly plausible that he can. I'm meerly questioning the pick. I'm not writing off the Jet's top prospect just cause I like another prospect more, I'm meerly wondering why they didn't pick the consensus best player available, and how that will affect this team in the future.
He's facepalming because you aren't considering the big picture or why they picked Scheifele ahead of Couturier. No one is arguing which is the better player at this moment in time.

It's like getting a choice of a 1MM dollar payout, or a 750,000 house in a really up and coming market. Sure, the payout is the better choice ATM but given time, patience and nurturing, you are going to be much better off with the house.

No one knows for SURE which player will be better. Look at all the big debates in drafting throughout time. Sometimes the sure things end up being the better player. However, many picks that are riskier but have more upside end up being the better pick.

Bottom line is saying Couturier OR Scheifele was the best pick right now is completely foolhardy. No one will know until we see what happens with these players in their careers.

edit: Also when you consider the 2 rosters - Philadelphia and Winnpeg, it makes far more sense to have a player like Couturier on the Flyers. They have the makeup to bring in a rookie and slowly work him into the roster. With Winnipeg's average age bringing in another rookie full time would not help the team, or the player.

01-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Anybody else upset with how long this whole All-Star break is drawn out? Only 1 game the last wednesday, draft thursday, NOTHING on friday, then a day each for skills and game and another empty day on monday.

The NHL should have been playing a full schedule until Friday, draft saturday afternoon (are the ratings really that great in prime time, particulary in the US), skills sat night, game sunday. Prob still can't play monday, but then start Tuesday.

As it is this is a 6 day event, should not be any longer than 4 day event (if you have draft fri night) or ideally a 3 day event (as I suggested above).

I love the All-Star stuff, but damn not having Jets hockey is driving me nuts.

Old
01-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
This is all I'll add to the Couturier vs. Scheifele debate: 3 years of major junior vs. 1 year of major junior.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that Couturier is more of a finished product than Scheifele. Let's wait a couple years before saying the Jets dropped the ball on this pick.

Old
01-29-2012, 01:45 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
This is all I'll add to the Couturier vs. Scheifele debate: 3 years of major junior vs. 1 year of major junior.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that Couturier is more of a finished product than Scheifele. Let's wait a couple years before saying the Jets dropped the ball on this pick.
That's why I thought they should've picked him. Scheifele might be better (or at least on the team) in two years, but it's obvious that we need guys to step-in/up this year and next year. I just don't think Scheifele will be ready for that. This is no knock against Scheifele and I'm not saying Couturier will be better. Hopefully, Scheifele keeps working on his development and improving.

Closed Thread