i really wish the Jets picked S.C oh well....hopefully Schiefele pans out

Old
01-29-2012, 02:00 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
This is all I'll add to the Couturier vs. Scheifele debate: 3 years of major junior vs. 1 year of major junior.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that Couturier is more of a finished product than Scheifele. Let's wait a couple years before saying the Jets dropped the ball on this pick.
agreed....but the boy does have some work to do....i think his WJ performance has made some people edgy....especially when you see what could have been playing with the all stars and scoring in the NHL as much as burmistrov and little.

hopefully he is not jimmy mann 2.0....we'll find out in a couple of years i guess.

Old
01-29-2012, 02:03 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
That's why I thought they should've picked him. Scheifele might be better (or at least on the team) in two years, but it's obvious that we need guys to step-in/up this year and next year. I just don't think Scheifele will be ready for that. This is no knock against Scheifele and I'm not saying Couturier will be better. Hopefully, Scheifele keeps working on his development and improving.
This team is building long term and will not rush players. I like SC as well but understand that Chevvy wants this team to be in the playoffs year in year out and not one year wonders.

Old
01-29-2012, 02:03 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
agreed....but the boy does have some work to do....i think his WJ performance has made some people edgy....especially when you see what could have been playing with the all stars and scoring in the NHL as much as burmistrov and little.
The only people that are edgy are the ones who will jump to conclusions 8 months after he was drafted. Luckily, GMs aren't as paranoid as fans.

Could have been playing with the all-stars and scoring as much as Burmi and Little? Maybe if he was spoon-fed good minutes. What the hell makes you think he wouldn't be shifted around as much as Burmi has been this year?

Old
01-29-2012, 02:06 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
This team is building long term and will not rush players. I like SC as well but understand that Chevvy wants this team to be in the playoffs year in year out and not one year wonders.
And how does taking Couturier prevent this?

Old
01-29-2012, 02:13 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

he IS playing with the all stars and HAS scored as much as little and burmistrov.

that is not a debatable issue....what 'could' have been is the team is is doing that with.

if MS were undrafted, with his last year of development, would he even be a 7th overall choice this year?.....not sure.

hopefully this is all a mute point next season....he is a great kid and i like him a lot....he's just got pressure on him because of where he went in the draft and the success that the guy everyone thought we would take is having.

burmi gets shifted around because he isnt producing...he is not not producing because he is getting shifted around.

Last edited by peter sullivan: 01-29-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old
01-29-2012, 02:19 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

The issue was that Scheifele's value was sky-rocketing and Couturier's was falling. The debate is do you take the guy who is unexpectedly lighting it up, even though it might just be a one-year thing, or do you take the guy who is having a bad year but has shown high-level of play, hoping it is just a fluke and he can regain his form.

I think that taking Scheifele was just a big risk to take for a franchise who has basically gotten the short end of the stick since it has been around. Again, let me say that I like Scheifele and am rooting for him. Just IMO, I would've taken the well established player over the rising-phenom.

Last edited by atl thrasher344: 01-29-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old
01-29-2012, 02:26 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
he IS playing with the all stars and HAS scored as much as little and burmistrov.

that is not a debatable issue....what 'could' have been is the team is is doing that with.

if MS were undrafted, with his last year of development, would he even be a 7th overall choice this year?.....not sure.

hopefully this is all a mute point next season....he is a great kid and i like him a lot....he's just got pressure on him because of where he went in the draft and the success that the guy everyone thought we would take is having.

burmi gets shifted around because he isnt producing...he is not not producing because he is getting shifted around.
Thought you were talking about Scheifele there. It's clear you meant Couturier now.

I don't understand what you're saying about MS being undrafted????

There is not THAT much pressure on Scheifele. People preach about TNSE taking their time and then want the kid to produce sooner rather then later. It goes against what most people think.

Burmi got shifted around when he WAS producing. It's hard to produce when you play with someone different every other night and you can not get any chemistry.

Old
01-29-2012, 02:49 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
And how does taking Couturier prevent this?
They think Mark's ceiling is higher than SC. I see SC being more like a Jordan Staal and Scheif can be more of a goal scorer down the road. We already have a great two way centre in Burmi.

Old
01-29-2012, 04:33 PM
bodybreak
We're Back!

My Jets wrap-up from All Star Weekend.

http://thehockeybeat.com/2012/01/jet...all-star-game/

Old
01-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Well Im gonna OT for this thread and talk about the ASG, but it looks alright. Hartnell last shift (he's miked doing PBP when he's on) was good. Going "woop" every time he makes a move was pretty good (cause I do that in my beer league)

Old
01-29-2012, 06:09 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
well that team chara win helped bump the vcash a bit!

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Old
01-29-2012, 06:27 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Do who else saw Datsyuk catch the puck out of mid-air? He made that look so simple.

Old
01-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Do who else saw Datsyuk catch the puck out of mid-air? He made that look so simple.
Everything for Dats is just NBD.

Old
01-29-2012, 07:22 PM
KingSalamon

Quote:
You realize these two statements contradict each other? How can you say we wasted a pick if we get a top 6 player out of it? And there is no guarantee that Couturier will become so great player. I don't know why people want to judge a players career less then a year after they're drafted. Sure, compare guys are they are going forward, but saying one guy was a better pick over the other this soon is literally naive and, to be blunt, dumb.
Talking about wasted picks... one James Mann would be what I would call a wasted pick. Especially when you consider they got Dave Christian and Thomas Steen in later rounds of the same draft!

Old
01-29-2012, 07:33 PM
KingSalamon

Hey.... Winnipeg was represented at the All Star Weekend! At least I would hope so... Mick E Moose should have been in the mascot game... saw a brief snippet of the action but cannot confirm Mick E Moose being there. Columbus mascot was skating around when they showed footage.

Old
01-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

BTW, for those sh*tting a brick that this was a big slap in the face, they did try to get another Jet to the ASG. They asked Kane but he ended up getting hurt. They asked Toby but he had travel plans and declined.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...138282934.html

Old
01-29-2012, 10:25 PM
bodybreak
We're Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSalamon View Post
Hey.... Winnipeg was represented at the All Star Weekend! At least I would hope so... Mick E Moose should have been in the mascot game... saw a brief snippet of the action but cannot confirm Mick E Moose being there. Columbus mascot was skating around when they showed footage.
I saw a picture of Mick E Moose at the festivities... Can't remember where I saw it (Jets official website maybe?) but I know I did. What stuck out to me was that he was wearing a road (white) jersey. Kinda neat that they made the effort to do that. I've only ever seen him at home games wearing the home jersey... which only makes sense.

Old
01-29-2012, 10:46 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
BTW, for those sh*tting a brick that this was a big slap in the face, they did try to get another Jet to the ASG. They asked Kane but he ended up getting hurt. They asked Toby but he had travel plans and declined.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...138282934.html
The article also basically confirms something I have suspected, that we are at the very bottom of the list for both ASG and Draft. I figured as much, but I'll stupidly excited (and hope that I still live here) when we get to host either the ASG or Draft. Love both events. Went the draft in Minnesota last year, it was a helluva time (what with the Jets mania at the time, and our rowdy all-Jets section ).

Old
01-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
I never cared for the All-Star game, 12-9? Are you kidding me? Furthermore, the Moose is pretty awesome, he has aviators on!!!

Old
01-29-2012, 11:41 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Cheveldayoff has stressed many times that character is an important part of why he drafted Scheifele (presumably over Couturier). Couturier already had a reputation in the Q of having an attitude and there was speculation that his attitude was a big reason the Sens passed on him.

The other issue is that the Flyers without Couturier are still a much better team than the Jets without Scheifele. There's no guarantee Couturier would be putting up those kinds of numbers on the Jets, just like there's no guarantee that Scheifele wouldn't be putting up those kinds of numbers on the Flyers.

Old
01-29-2012, 11:55 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Cheveldayoff has stressed many times that character is an important part of why he drafted Scheifele (presumably over Couturier). Couturier already had a reputation in the Q of having an attitude and there was speculation that his attitude was a big reason the Sens passed on him.

The other issue is that the Flyers without Couturier are still a much better team than the Jets without Scheifele. There's no guarantee Couturier would be putting up those kinds of numbers on the Jets, just like there's no guarantee that Scheifele wouldn't be putting up those kinds of numbers on the Flyers.
That's why it's such a big deal that he was good enough to make the team. Scheifele wasn't good enough in his 7 games to play on a team that's just trying to make the playoffs, while Couturier is playing on a top-10 team in the whole NHL.

Old
01-30-2012, 03:07 AM
Tdoe42

Couturier only has 10 goals in 44 gp (.22 gpg) its not like he is at 25 or something and Scheifele had 1 in his 7 games (.14 gpg) not much difference

Old
01-30-2012, 08:08 AM
HPsauce

vCash: 566
I'd take Scheifele any day over S.C. Sean Couturier, was expected to be the first overall pick at the start of last season and slid down the rankings, while Scheifele was rocketing up the standings.

Just watching Sean Couturier play makes me glad the Jets didn't take him, he just looks lethargic, with no real jump in his step. Scheifele on the other hand it's hard to see him not trying or not skating hard. He's still learning, but when he puts it together he has the makings of a winner.

Obviously, only time will tell. I'm sure everyone in Winnipeg will be keeping a close eye on Sean Couturier, as I'm sure most of us were expecting to hear his name being called for the 7th overall pick... "Schiff... who?"

Old
01-30-2012, 08:34 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
That's why it's such a big deal that he was good enough to make the team. Scheifele wasn't good enough in his 7 games to play on a team that's just trying to make the playoffs, while Couturier is playing on a top-10 team in the whole NHL.
Yes, but would SC have made either team if he HAD to be in the top 6 to be effective? I don't think he does.

SC made the Flyers because like people have said above, he was one of the more "ready" prospects in the draft. He was able to slot into a teams 3 or 4th line. If SC is not ready to take on that 3 or 4 line role, he's down in junior again as well.

For MS to have made either team, he would have had to crack the top 6. That's a tall order for a guy with 1 year of junior under his belt. But he made Noel and Chevy keep him around for 7 games and didn't make it easy on them.

Closed Thread