HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

"Jeff Carter is 100% available."

Old
01-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Crede777
Deputized

vCash: 500
Stastny would be a good piece coming back. IMO Stastny is underrated and would be a nice #1 C for Nash. Plus, he's a character guy.

Other than that, Columbus would want a young defenseman and/or a young goaltender.

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:54 PM
ponder

I think Columbus would be ALL OVER Carter for Stastny. Columbus probably has to add, actually. However, why would Colorado want this? I think Duchene and ROR are better long term center options than Carter, and Carter never seemed to do that well on the wing when he was in Philly.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 813
Avs aren't going to take on Carter at the cost of anything more than something centering on Quincey pre-deadline if ever.

Sherman wants full flexibility leading into the CBA, Carter's contract is the exact opposite of what Sherman has done since taking over the Avs' GM role.

Also, rather keep Staz than trade him for Carter.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:02 PM
Mac Man

According to Columbus fans it would take a huge over payment to get him so I would have to say the Avs would prob pass at this time...besides we dont even have our 1st this year and I'm sure that would have to be included in any deal for Carter...

Mac Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

Carter is one of the few first line players, I wouldn't trade Stastny straight up for.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:11 PM
hockeyviking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I think Stastny and Quincey somehow would be great.

now get serious

hockeyviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:13 PM
hockeyviking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakicIsMyHero View Post
Would it be possible to get him there? Colorado would have the cap space and I think he would be a great piece! Don't follow CBJ much what would it take?
why do you want him ?

hockeyviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:17 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
He won't make as much as kessel.
Kessel is an RFA. His rights were restricted, Grabovski is unrestricted and can sign with any team he wants. I don't think he will get more than Kessel, but at the same time, he isn't going to settle for 4 million either.

Your team signed UFA Tim Connolly, an oft injured point producer for 4.75. How many fans would pick Connolly over Grabovski? Fact is, Grabovski has done much better this year.

Usually forwards at around the 50-55 point are signing at the 4.5 range these days, but Grabovski is a center which is more of a premium and its fair to say a team could overpay to around the five million range. Not to mention a bit of untapped potential still there.

At that rate, he has close to same cap hit as Jeff Carter. I know which one I'd rather have.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Dr Danglefest
Vindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviking View Post

now get serious
Its not a bad base actually although more certainly needs to come back from CLB

But stastny fits the pass first center need for CLB and carter fits the goal scorer that can flex from rw and center depending on what hejduk does

Stastny + Gaunce

Carter + Brassard

Close? Someone needs to add?

Dr Danglefest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Danglefest View Post

But stastny fits the pass first center need for CLB and carter fits the goal scorer that can flex from rw and center depending on what hejduk does

Stastny + Gaunce

Carter + Brassard

I'm not sure why Colorado would want Brassard--they'd have Duchene, Carter, and ROR down the middle already...

Even if they did, that's not great value from Columbus' perspective. IMO, despite his recent struggles, Carter does had a slight edge in value on Stastny--he's a better goalscorer, and just as good defensively. He's less of a playmaker, but still, a slight edge. He's also, when healthy and on his game, a decent bargain at his cap hit, whereas Stastny is slightly overpaid.

All that said, Brassard > Gaunce, and IMO it isn't really that close. While Brassard may not have lived up to his lofty expectations, he has proven to be a solid NHL contributor, with room to grow. If Colorado insists on Brassard's inclusion, then Gaunce needs to be switched for Siemens or Elliott--or something fairly significant needs to be added (Pickard?).

Just spit-balling, though. I'm not sure I see Carter as a great fit out in Colorado, unless the idea would be to move Duchene to his wing. In that case, Brassard's inclusion makes more sense.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Crisp Breakout

The Avalanche wouldn't add to Stastny to get Carter. They're huge on character (see Wolski and Stewart) and hate long contracts.

It'd take a decent prospect in addition to Carter to convince Sherman to move Stastny.

Quincey would be available with picks and a forward of the ilk of Jones or Galiardi, but I just don't see these teams getting a deal done.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:51 PM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Kessel is an RFA. His rights were restricted, Grabovski is unrestricted and can sign with any team he wants. I don't think he will get more than Kessel, but at the same time, he isn't going to settle for 4 million either.

Your team signed UFA Tim Connolly, an oft injured point producer for 4.75. How many fans would pick Connolly over Grabovski? Fact is, Grabovski has done much better this year.

Usually forwards at around the 50-55 point are signing at the 4.5 range these days, but Grabovski is a center which is more of a premium and its fair to say a team could overpay to around the five million range. Not to mention a bit of untapped potential still there.

At that rate, he has close to same cap hit as Jeff Carter. I know which one I'd rather have.
Connolly was a two year stop gap contract. It's not like the leafs are screwed into a 6 year deal. yes I would take grabo over connolly in a second and you make fair points but I'm not sure that burke would go to 5+ million for 5 to 6 years. I think he's part of a multi player deal in the near future if they don't come to a understanding. To me $4.5 would be the number burke would want but who knows.

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:52 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
The Avalanche wouldn't add to Stastny to get Carter. They're huge on character (see Wolski and Stewart) and hate long contracts.

It'd take a decent prospect in addition to Carter to convince Sherman to move Stastny.

Quincey would be available with picks and a forward of the ilk of Jones or Galiardi, but I just don't see these teams getting a deal done.
Thats good. Columbus should be trading Carter for defense and/or goaltending.

I'm not even convinced Stastny would be #1 on their depth chart in a few years time.

Old
01-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Thats good. Columbus should be trading Carter for defense and/or goaltending.

I'm not even convinced Stastny would be #1 on their depth chart in a few years time.
I don't think so either. Johansen will be a premier #1 center in my opinion. Once he grows fully into his body I think he'll be a 80% version of Joe Thornton.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:57 PM
SgtJoseph

Always liked Carter in Philly, but thought the trade was a good one for the Flyers in the long run.....Having said that, i think Carter would do very well down in Nashville....It would be a good fit.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 05:36 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
Connolly was a two year stop gap contract. It's not like the leafs are screwed into a 6 year deal. yes I would take grabo over connolly in a second and you make fair points but I'm not sure that burke would go to 5+ million for 5 to 6 years. I think he's part of a multi player deal in the near future if they don't come to a understanding. To me $4.5 would be the number burke would want but who knows.
Oh yea I'm sure Burke would love to re-up him for around 4.2-4.5 million. I'm not disagreeing with that. If Grabovski goes to the highest bidder, I wouldn't want to be the highest bidder. I don't like Burke one bit, but that would be a smart move I wouldn't go near that number either. Ville Leino, Erik Cole, R.J Umberger, Brooks Laich, surely all of these players have different attributes. But all got long term 4.5+ year deals. RJ and Brooks Laich were resigned(generally a bit less). I don't recall one with better numbers than Grabovski.

Point is he isn't ridiculous to think some team might offer him five million, which is close to Jeff Carter's cap hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
I don't think so either. Johansen will be a premier #1 center in my opinion. Once he grows fully into his body I think he'll be a 80% version of Joe Thornton.
Agreed. With him Brassard, Vermette, Jenner coming up I think center position will be in good hands for a long time.

Old
01-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Stastny would be a good piece coming back. IMO Stastny is underrated and would be a nice #1 C for Nash. Plus, he's a character guy.

Other than that, Columbus would want a young defenseman and/or a young goaltender.
Wonder what you think about this proposal from the St. Louis Blues(assuming ownership would take on his contract)

Ian Cole- D (#3 prospect in the Blues system-22 yr old, who could easily play in your top 6 and by the end of the year he WOULD be in your top 4. He's twice the defenseman Nikitin is, and you have seen how well that move has worked out.)

Ben Bishop-G(6' 7" AHL all star goalie who would be on the Blues if he didnt get beat out by the only Blues All-star, Brian Elliott)

Phil McRae-C-(next year could be your 3rd line center, with 2nd line center ceiling, big kid with skill and is still developing, he did not look out of place last year in the NHL.)

OR

Cade Fairchild-D-(has played with the Blues and few time this year already, a smallish PMD with top 4 potential, definitely a top 6 with good PP skill)

1st 2012(20-25 range)

Or

Rattie-F (#4 prospect in the Blues system[screw whomever wrote the current ranking system]-18 yr old winger who leads the WHL in goals and points, J.D. said his offense is NHL ready, he just needed to add weight and he added 15lbs this summer and now he's one of the most dynamic WHL forwards)

The idea of this proposal is that it gives Columbus 3 young high upside cost controlled players to help lower your cap isues(Bishop will be a UFA, but he wouldnt cost much to resign (1mil) if he gets a spot on the big club, and another 1st to help with the rebuild or an elite wing prospect who is much closer to playing than the 1st would be.

Last edited by Meatwagon: 01-29-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Meatwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Danglefest View Post

Stastny + Gaunce

Carter + Brassard

I would say columbus paying more than the avs.

01-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Gberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Man View Post
According to Columbus fans it would take a huge over payment to get him so I would have to say the Avs would prob pass at this time...besides we dont even have our 1st this year and I'm sure that would have to be included in any deal for Carter...
Whatever his value is.. it's gotta be less than what it was in the Summer. I'm sure there are teams questioning his work ethic and are concerned about his injuries.

Gberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 04:03 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwagon View Post
Wonder what you think about this proposal from the St. Louis Blues(assuming ownership would take on his contract)

Ian Cole- D (#3 prospect in the Blues system-22 yr old, who could easily play in your top 6 and by the end of the year he WOULD be in your top 4. He's twice the defenseman Nikitin is, and you have seen how well that move has worked out.)

Ben Bishop-G(6' 7" AHL all star goalie who would be on the Blues if he didnt get beat out by the only Blues All-star, Brian Elliott)

Phil McRae-C-(next year could be your 3rd line center, with 2nd line center ceiling, big kid with skill and is still developing, he did not look out of place last year in the NHL.)

OR

Cade Fairchild-D-(has played with the Blues and few time this year already, a smallish PMD with top 4 potential, definitely a top 6 with good PP skill)

1st 2012(20-25 range)

Or

Rattie-F (#4 prospect in the Blues system[screw whomever wrote the current ranking system]-18 yr old winger who leads the WHL in goals and points, J.D. said his offense is NHL ready, he just needed to add weight and he added 15lbs this summer and now he's one of the most dynamic WHL forwards)

The idea of this proposal is that it gives Columbus 3 young high upside cost controlled players to help lower your cap isues(Bishop will be a UFA, but he wouldnt cost much to resign (1mil) if he gets a spot on the big club, and another 1st to help with the rebuild or an elite wing prospect who is much closer to playing than the 1st would be.
I wouldn't do any of those, but hey I'm not Scott Howson. Here's why:

Columbus needs to get back at least one young top 4 two way defenseman in any Carter deal, a first round pick and with a pick as late as the Blues, another asset to make up the difference between the Blues pick and a top 10 pick. Nashville and Toronto fans have already offered more attractive packages than yours.

Cole's ok, but not a high upside guy and as you posted, a prospect not an established young player.

Bishop is not only not established, but the Blues have a real problem here. They can either trade him, play him in 15 NHL games or lose him as a UFA. Why would Columbus help an in division opponent? The Blues might get more from an Eastern Conference team like Tampa.

McRae and Rattie don't fill needs. Columbus has a lot of centers and wings. Fairchild's upside is probably Kris Russell, not enough.

I think the Blues players Columbus would require are guys you would not want to give up. I would want this Nashville package: Blum, Lindback and Preds 1st 2012. Can the Blues come up with a comparable or better? I don't really see an equivalent to Blum or Lindback on the roster. Shattenkirk is more valuable (and not strong enough on his own end), Bishop is not nearly as valuable as Lindback. Blues 1st/Preds 1st? at best a wash.

Here's good news for the Blues and anyone else; I think Howson is a poor GM. Armstrong should offer him whatever he wants, Howson just might take it.

Last edited by TaketheCannoli: 01-29-2012 at 04:11 PM.
TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Would something around Irving, Butler, 1st for Carter be close enough to get talks started?

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Actually, the Stastny + Quincey for Carter idea sounds good for both teams.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 05:34 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I think Columbus would be ALL OVER Carter for Stastny. Columbus probably has to add, actually. However, why would Colorado want this? I think Duchene and ROR are better long term center options than Carter, and Carter never seemed to do that well on the wing when he was in Philly.
The Colorado Avalanche probably wouldn't do this for the reasons you listed. And considering Jeff Carter has an additional 10 years left on his contract, I don't see the Avalanche -- whose longest tenured player has three years remaining -- taking on such a contract.

The Toronto Maple Leafs seem like they'd be a good fit. There were always the rumors of Tomas Kaberle for Carter in yesteryear; and while the fortunes of the Maple Leafs have changed for the better, their need down the middle since Sundin's departure hasn't changed.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 06:07 PM
Cleatus

Send a message via MSN to Cleatus
If the price is right, Burke should definitely trade for him.

Cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 06:09 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

we will give up byfuglien, little, and stapleton for him

John Cena* is offline   Reply With Quote