Notices

Casey Wellman

Old
01-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

vCash: 500
Casey Wellman

Everything and Anything Casey Wellman here.

Go.

Audio Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Wellman for Sheppard?

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:56 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
At the NHL level he'll either be a top six forward or be jobless. He could be a good support guy for the right linemates, but IMO will never be a guy play revolves around. Quick and willing but not good enough defensively/physically to justify putting on the bottom lines.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

How did this possible top 6 kid go undrafted?

Audio Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:06 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Outlaw View Post
How did this possible top 6 kid go undrafted?
he's obviously boom or bust, and only Boom with the right players. don't really know why no one thought he was good enough for a 5th round pick but size probably has something to do with it.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:17 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
Didn't he explode the year after not getting drafted?

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:22 AM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

He's had plenty of chances will all our injuries, and not shown me anything that impressed me.

I still think he's better than a few of the options we've called up, but he still hasn't proven much.

It sucks, because I like the kid, I just don't see him sticking around at the NHL level unless something changes.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:45 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Michael Bay Mode GO!

vCash: 405
Wellman has flashes of brilliance and with the right linemates is really an effective player. He's one of the few guys we have that have a shoot first mentality.

Unfortunately his play is not consistent enough, as evidenced by him bouncing between the 2nd and 4th lines. He wont do anything good with 4th line minutes.

He may end up being that perpetual AHL type player who gets called up to the NHL a few times a year to fill a hole.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 02:07 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1100
I'd like to give Wellman some consistency before I label him a sub-NHL player.

I really like his instincts, speed and energy. For his talents to be fully utilized, he'd need to be paired with an experienced playmaker, though.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 02:18 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Michael Bay Mode GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
I'd like to give Wellman some consistency before I label him a sub-NHL player.

I really like his instincts, speed and energy. For his talents to be fully utilized, he'd need to be paired with an experienced playmaker, though.
Wasnt it the Bouchard-Cullen-Wellman line that we all loved?

Old
01-26-2012, 09:50 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Potential AHL superstar.

Just don't see anything beyond that. Don't care for his game at the NHL level. May not have the pieces around him here nor gave him the real shot to excel, but I'm not all that interested in seeing him with more significant minutes here in Minnesota. If he ever works out, it likely won't be with this organization IMO.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:25 AM
forthewild

i don't know why people are writing him off so much, he played very well then got hurt by some ****** slashing him. once he came back he has some good games, what i've seen from him is a guy who attacks the slot and shoots the puck. the goal cullen scored against sj was wellman attacking the slot and jamming the puck.

i am upset at the up and down ride he has gotten, for example against philly he was on the 4th line and mr. hand of butta Powe was 2nd line winger he really should be tried on the 2nd line with Cullen has played well with him and has a shooting mentality, also that line of cullen-gootch-wellman would be blazing fast

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm with TP. PPG AHL'er, fringe NHL'er. Might catch on with a bad team like Ryan Jones did and might just flame out altogether.

His skill set reminds me of Phil Kessel, but to a lesser degree. He's got an awesome shot and great wheels but doesn't have the work ethic, size, tenacity, etc of a depth player. Boom or bust.

Wellman certainly has the traits a scout would love, but he just doesn't make an impact on the score sheet. He should be using his speed to break free from the opposition and make plays, but he doesn't.

What's surprising to me is he has more success this year crashing the net than sniping, but that doesn't seem like it'd be his game. Either way, you need to be routinely dangerous if you're going to be a net crasher (like Heatley). You can't be a non factor, otherwise the other team will know it and just take the puck from you.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:00 AM
nickschultzfan

The guy could be an NHL player in the right situation. On a team that had two good 1st line players, and a 2nd line that had great chemistry, Wellman could be slotted on that first line can hold his own.

But on a team like the Wild, where guys like Cullen, Bouchard, and Setoguchi struggle to score themselves, Wellman doesn't have that spark to generate offense consistency by himself.

He's more a guy who can get into scoring position or stretch the game with his speed, but not do much else.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

I liked him on our second line with Cullen. They had some good speed together.

I also don't get where all the negativity is coming from. He has some great tools, it just seems like he needs a better offseason regimen.

Whenever I watched him play I thought he was much better than any of the crap callups we have been bringing up lately. Sure they have put in some timely goals in the last two games, but they have no potential.

Why don't we throw him on the 1st line with all these injuries. Heatley is a pretty good passer. They could work well together. He was scoring at a pretty good pace before we sent him down.

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

You don't get where the negativity is coming from? Please.

2g 7pts -4 in 14 games this year
4g 13pts -7 in 41 games his career

These "if only we had..." statements are getting so old.

"If only Koivu had some scoring wingers..."
"If only Bouchard had a scorer on his other wing..."
"If only Wellman played on a scoring line..."
Etc

We haven't had any scorers since Gabby/Rolston/Demitra, with the exception of half a year of Lats. All these players we get all amped up about and trying to put the puzzle pieces together...they're all 2nd/3rd liners trying to overachieve.

We're like San Jose without Thornton, Marleau, Couture, Burns, and Boyle. Or Vancouver without Daniel, Henrik, Bieksa, Edler and all their depth players. Or New York without Gaborik, Richards, Staal, and Lundqvist. Or Boston without Marchand, Lucic, Seguin, nad Chara. And people are trying to figure out why the team dropped 15 of 17 or whatever it was? Why the team is trailing the league in scoring? Pretty obvious to me!

Sure, Wellman would be a fine extra guy on a team with three solid lines. Maybe you could slot him up for a game or two, then drop him down when someone gets back.

I'm just not seeing any urgency out of Wellman that's telling the coaching staff they needed to use him more. In fact, he got sent down. That's usually a pretty good indication that someone either isn't ready for an NHL job or can't cut it.

Old
01-26-2012, 01:31 PM
nickschultzfan

Wellman is at least as good as Pouliot was at his age. And Pouliot has found a spot on a 3rd line which can score, playing with two good defensive players.

Pouliot and Wellman are different types of players (Pouliot better physical skills, Wellman better hockey brain), but both are unbalanced offensives players who will have trouble sticking in any teams top-6.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 02:26 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Wellman for Sheppard?
Banned.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Banned.
I knew you would react at that.

Old
01-26-2012, 02:59 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

I think one of Wellmans problems is his work ethic. I've noticed it from time to time while he's been playing and I'ld put money on him not consistently working hard during practice. He got sent down, again, for a reason.

He's got a decent shot, nothing exceptional.
good speed,
moderate hands,
but man is he weak as hell on the puck! I mean a bag of leaves would stand up better.
He's also no spring chicken. He should have at the very least become stronger over the last couple years.

I have not seen much improvement from him since he has come to our organization, which again calls into question his work ethic

I say we trade his floatin butt. Too many "what ifs" not enough production. We need people that will work hard and make things happen.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Wellman for Nick Leddy?

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah at his age you'd want some improvement. Someone pointed that out to me a couple years ago when I got all excited about his numbers.

He was 19 and 20 playing in the USHL, 21 and 22 playing in college, and now is 23 and 24 playing in the minors. Breaking into the NHL as a scoring forward at 25 is PRETTY RARE. Matt Moulson and...Matt Moulson?

Compare that say with Phil Kessel, who is two weeks younger than Wellman. USHL at 16 and 17, college at 18, NHL at 19 and never looked back. Adapted to the game four years earlier and certainly more productive.

If you've got the aptitude/skills to adapt to high levels of hockey at younger ages or a quicker pace, you're more likely to be a quality NHL'er.

Like Spurgeon, who went from juniors at 20 to a cup of coffee in the minors and right into the NHL at 21. Very quick to adapt and hasn't looked out of place, which is why I think he's still got room to grow (figuratively speaking).

Old
01-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
You don't get where the negativity is coming from? Please.

2g 7pts -4 in 14 games this year
4g 13pts -7 in 41 games his career

These "if only we had..." statements are getting so old.
Thats pretty good man. .5 pts/game. Why would you include the games he played last year when he obviously wasn't ready

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Wellman for Nick Leddy?
Who the hell is that guy?

Old
01-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Michael Bay Mode GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Who the hell is that guy?
I hear hes like some urban legend somewhere in Illinois or something. Like bigfoot or sasquatch.