HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Casey Wellman

Old
01-26-2012, 06:04 PM
saywut

vCash: 500
Yeo/Fletcher obviously didn't feel he or Almond were contributing enough to stay up on a banged-up team. That tells me what he thinks of them now, and they're both running out of chances both because of their age and the potential prospect additions to the NA pro ranks. Not sure we'll just walk away from him this summer as he's a quality AHL scorer, but his NHL future is certainly in doubt(Almond as well).

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 06:19 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
Yeo/Fletcher obviously didn't feel he or Almond were contributing enough to stay up on a banged-up team. That tells me what he thinks of them now, and they're both running out of chances both because of their age and the potential prospect additions to the NA pro ranks. Not sure we'll just walk away from him this summer as he's a quality AHL scorer, but his NHL future is certainly in doubt(Almond as well).
I would say Almond even more so...

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

vCash: 1185
The reason I started this thread is because I was curious to see what Minny fans thought of my old friend Casey Wellman. You guys for the most part hit it right on the head.

It's safe to say Casey will always be Casey. Back when we were kids, we played on the same line together in juniors and I always admired his work ethic during practice. The guy floats across the ice and takes a ton of shots. His work ethic was good back then, as I am sure it still is now. I doubt that is an issue with him. The only downside to his game is his physicality. The guy on and off the ice prefers to stay away from confrontation or physical contact at any cost, and that has held him back a bit in the corners and in the slot. That will NEVER change.

The bottom line is though that the kid can score and skate. No offense, but 7pts in 14games playing for the Wild is actually impressive IMO. As a fan of another team, watching Wellman skate so hard against us is frustrating because he stretches the ice and is a constant threat.

Casey Wellman for Torrey Mitchell?

Audio Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 06:41 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
I would say Almond even more so...
Almond's still younger but he's got more pro experience and less upside. Back injury this off-season really hurt his chances at making the team out of camp but he did get a shot, though you have to wonder where Almond's conditioning was at then. I wouldn't write either one off completely but this was not how the first ~50 games of 2011-12 was supposed to go for either one, and this is arguably the most important year of development in their careers.

I do think Almond's got a better shot at a depth role than Wellman, especially with our center situation(what if Brodziak leaves and Granlund struggles at center or plays wing? Powe looks alot better at LW than center). That being said McMillan and McIntyre are right there too, and of course the '92 class.

Old
01-27-2012, 09:36 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

He definitely can score and skate. Watching him in warmups, the kid has an extremely good shot, definitely above average in the NHL. And he's got above average NHL straight line speed. Those two things can take you a long way.

What I'm not seeing in games though is consistency in terms of effectiveness on the ice, as well as all the other little things that make a well rounded player.

Again, a guy like Kovalchuk can float and not backcheck and all those other things so long as he scores 40 goals a year. Because he's so damn deadly and dangerous any time he gets the puck that the opposition has to change how they play to stop him. Wellman though isn't that dangerous (for whatever reason, like I said maybe it's hockey sense or maybe his hands), and to date he's struggled with all those other things that would make him a well rounded player.

That's why he got sent down...he lacks the consistency and he lacks the well rounded game. No doubt he's a better player than he was two years ago, but he's not ready for NHL action on a nightly basis. And being eligible to be sent down and potentially improve those skills in the AHL is beneficial for everyone.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Also that one game you are referring to I was at, and he was a beast that game, relatively speaking. Probably the only time all year he has looked that good.

Re-reading my point about being well rounded, one thing I wonder about is that Wellman was dominant against younger competition compared to say Kessel who was dominant against older competition. At that age and point in prospect development, it counts for a ton. To exaggerate the point, I wouldn't be surprised if Brodziak got 150 points in juniors but obviously that doesn't suggest he'd be an elite NHL player. Tavares getting 134 points in juniors at 16 though is an indication he could be an elite NHL player.

My guess is (and you'd know better than me) that Wellman could have gotten by in juniors and maybe even college with some floating and not playing the well rounded game, while other players like Brodziak who struggled and adapted early in his career had to learn those things to survive. Just a theory though.

Bah one more edit

To be clear I do hope he succeeds in the NHL, here or wherever. He's one of the good guys. Very upbeat and always smiling when I see him. A lot like Gillies. I remember taking my kid to the prospects scrimmage a couple years back and Wellman was throwing out pucks to kids before and after and gave the kid sitting next to me his stick after the game. Gillies was the only other player who did those things as well. If he grows into an NHL regular he could be a positive influence on his teammates.

Last edited by Jarick: 01-27-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old
01-28-2012, 01:46 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Wellman always reminded me of guys like Lessard and Senja.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 01:57 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

I like Casey, and I do think he has some skills that will work in the NHL.

BUT, he just can't seem to get it all together when up with the big boys. (yet)

I'm not ready to give up on him yet. I'm hoping he might just be a later bloomer at the NHL level, because lord knows the Wild certainly are in dire need of a speedy sniper.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

Looks like maybe Casey has got a burr in his saddle about being demoted back to the Aeros. Tonight versus the San Antonio Rampage Wellman got a fighting major. Now if he can just start scoring again!

Last edited by Dampland: 01-28-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Jbcraig1883

Looks like he got into a fight in tonight's AHL game against San Antonio's Michal Repik.

Enforcer Wellman ftw!

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 10:03 PM
forthewild

i really am pissed about the way we are handling him, give him 4 ****ing games with cullen and see them click again, seriously there is no ****ing reason when we need "scorers" and "shooting mentality" and "net pressence" that he isn't in the ****ing top 6, against Philly he gets 4th line minutes with sawdust and some other bloke, while we are getting blown out and Powe is mesmerizing us with his hands and scoring touch...

he has 3 goals this year, one of those is credited to cullen but it was Wellman who attacked the slot for the rebound it just happen to hit cullens leg and he gets it because he was last to touch the puck, mind you with out him attacking the slot that doesn't happen.

bring him back up,

Johnson Brodz Heater

Wellman Cullen Setoguchi

Clutter McMillan Rau (he has actually played well even in colorado game with limited time he hustled)

now you have some balance, if Wellman doesn't work out no big but he was very good with cullen then went down with a wrist injury, then when he came back and we needed scoring Yeo is trying to turn him into a grinder....

4 ****ing games is all i ask,

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 11:14 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 View Post
Looks like he got into a fight in tonight's AHL game against San Antonio's Michal Repik.

Enforcer Wellman ftw!
Oh, so he fought another guy frustrated with a demotion. At least Wellman didn't have to clear waivers

Old
01-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Really though aside from the San Jose game he hasn't had that scoring mentality or net presence. Been kind of a floater. They're trying to get more out of him than that.

And the team has won two games in a row for the first time in six weeks, that's a big deal too.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:42 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Really though aside from the San Jose game he hasn't had that scoring mentality or net presence. Been kind of a floater. They're trying to get more out of him than that.

And the team has won two games in a row for the first time in six weeks, that's a big deal too.
umm, yeah i'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you, the two goals he actually scored he was in front net for both of them, he isn't a floater he does go into the corner to dig the puck out and he attacks the slot, he just hasn't been given consistent line mates, he works well with cullen and needs to be with cullen as both seem to like each other.

i'm not saying he will make it, but giving him a chance in a role where he has shown hope shouldn't be out of the question given we're riddled with injures, he needs a top 6 role give him a consistent line for 4 games and see how he does,

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Good answer by the kid.

Reminds me of when Sheppard fought the Pens to try and re-establish himself. Hahaha.