HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bench minors non existant since Martin left..

Old
01-27-2012, 01:54 AM
Maliki2

vCash: 500
Bench minors non existant since Martin left..

This comes as no surprise to me. We could almost count on at least one every couple of games with Martin. RC has done a excellent job with this.

TonyMarinaroTony Marinaro

Habs Bench Minors: Last season: 14 minors (most in NHL). This season JMartin: 8 minors in 32 games. Cunneyworth: 0 minors after 17 games.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 02:03 AM
Miller Time

this actually does surprise me...

small sample size, so i'm wary to read too much into it, but for a coach that was clearly quite particular about his expectations (especially young players), it was quite odd how often the team took bench penalties...

and to see a coach who is less experienced and seemingly (again, small sample size), not as effective at getting responsible X's/O's play from the same group, it's pretty amazing that a detail-oriented flaw such as bench penalties would get dramatically better.

i wonder what the legitimate explanation is to this apparent shift...

is RC just better at managing his bench (which, in all fairness, did seem to be one of JM's weak points), or is it just a fluke anomaly that will adjust itself over time

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 02:08 AM
Maliki2

Much better at managing the bench. Martin didn't seem very interested and this was relfected with the piss poor bench management.

I know from watching the games that I always expected and got pissed by the bad line changes and the bench minors that we recieved while Martin was the coach. What pissed me off even more was that he wouldn't fix the problem.

Old
01-27-2012, 02:09 AM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
this actually does surprise me...

small sample size, so i'm wary to read too much into it, but for a coach that was clearly quite particular about his expectations (especially young players), it was quite odd how often the team took bench penalties...

and to see a coach who is less experienced and seemingly (again, small sample size), not as effective at getting responsible X's/O's play from the same group, it's pretty amazing that a detail-oriented flaw such as bench penalties would get dramatically better.

i wonder what the legitimate explanation is to this apparent shift...

is RC just better at managing his bench (which, in all fairness, did seem to be one of JM's weak points), or is it just a fluke anomaly that will adjust itself over time
And not a fluke. And we led the league last year and we were on pace to beat even that amount this year. So glad Martin is gone.

Old
01-27-2012, 02:10 AM
CrazyShea

I'm impressed it's only 8 this year. Seemed like we were getting one every game

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:17 AM
shamrun

dont jinx it lol

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 06:13 AM
HabbyGilmore
Best man for the job

Send a message via MSN to HabbyGilmore
It makes me happy to know that Im not the only person that noticed this one. Martin couldn't change lines to save his life. Ticked me off so many times when in crucial points of the game we'd end up getting a too many men penalty.

HabbyGilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 06:31 AM
CGG

Very strange. Since Cunneyworth is playing a lot of games with 7 D and 11 forwards, double-shifting a bunch of different wingers, you would think that's a recipe for someone to get confused and jump on when it's not their turn. Oh well, good for him, at least his team knows who should be on the ice next.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 06:55 AM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

vCash: 50
We were basically the only team I saw that would get a too many men almost on a nightly basis...

Theosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 07:18 AM
danyhabsfan

martin still has a way better record

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 07:23 AM
expy

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
Cunneyworth's been doing a decent job considering the state in which Martin left the team to him.

Can't say there really is anything bad about Martin being gone. The guy drove away some decent players.

expy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 07:28 AM
HCH

Quote:
I think his assistant coaches deserved most of the credit

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 07:37 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Even though our record hasn't been as good we are seeing some great improvements from our young guys under Cunneyworth,

Desharnais 15 points in 17 games
Eller 11 points in 16 games
Pacioretty 11 points in 16 games

Also guys like Diaz and Emelin have played very well and Cunneyworth is showing a lot of trust in both of them, I also like how Cunney hasn't put Gomez back as centre since Eller and DD deserve to continue playing there and I guarantee Martin would've gave Gomez his centre spot back.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Belso

I never realized how much difference there was between the two.. At least Cunneyworth is building some kind of positives in his resume as first time NHL head coach..

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
I find myself staying awake all game now that he's gone.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 08:13 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
We were basically the only team I saw that would get a too many men almost on a nightly basis...
I thought it was JM too but honestly after a certain point I started to think maybe it was some kind of ref bias or something.

Reason I say that is because often times it was times where usually I would see teams not get called or get a free pass, i.e. one guy getting off while another guy was still on but just about to be off and neither touch the puck.

I'd see other teams do this all the time including ours, but it seemed only we would get called. I did see a few times where it was for sure blatant too though. It just seemed at times when it wasn't blatant other teams seemed to be getting a free pass more than we were. I hope that isn't true but it sure seemed like it. Some of the too many men calls seemed like a serious nitpick more than a real call. We're talking a fraction of a second where on players skate is on the ice while another player is getting on here.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 08:16 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Even though our record hasn't been as good we are seeing some great improvements from our young guys under Cunneyworth,

Desharnais 15 points in 17 games
Eller 11 points in 16 games
Pacioretty 11 points in 16 games

Also guys like Diaz and Emelin have played very well and Cunneyworth is showing a lot of trust in both of them, I also like how Cunney hasn't put Gomez back as centre since Eller and DD deserve to continue playing there and I guarantee Martin would've gave Gomez his centre spot back.
Exactly. I'm impressed with Gomez in his last couple games. If he can bring it every night like that he'll go back to being the 60pt centerman he once was. If he's just going to go into the zone and cough up the puck repeatedly like he was doing before that won't help.

It's his compete level, not sure if he was sluggish due to an underlying injury... but he looks like the Gomez we acquired back in 2009, not the Gomez we saw last year and at the beginning of this year.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 08:38 AM
expy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I thought it was JM too but honestly after a certain point I started to think maybe it was some kind of ref bias or something.

Reason I say that is because often times it was times where usually I would see teams not get called or get a free pass, i.e. one guy getting off while another guy was still on but just about to be off and neither touch the puck.

I'd see other teams do this all the time including ours, but it seemed only we would get called. I did see a few times where it was for sure blatant too though. It just seemed at times when it wasn't blatant other teams seemed to be getting a free pass more than we were. I hope that isn't true but it sure seemed like it. Some of the too many men calls seemed like a serious nitpick more than a real call. We're talking a fraction of a second where on players skate is on the ice while another player is getting on here.
If it was ref bias, it would still occur.

expy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 08:42 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I think his assistant coaches deserved most of the credit
Just like Carriere should get the credit for what the op is talking about ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Kriss E

Who's in charge of the line changes and who was it under Martin?
Was it also Martin's fault Eller didn't know a goalie switch had been made between periods??

Some of the blame has to fall on the coach, no doubt. But when you have that many calls, the players have to wake up as well and pay attention.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:06 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
Very strange. Since Cunneyworth is playing a lot of games with 7 D and 11 forwards, double-shifting a bunch of different wingers, you would think that's a recipe for someone to get confused and jump on when it's not their turn.
I was thinking the same thing, but with the opposite conclusion.

Maybe the constant mixing up of lines due to double-shifting and switching up combos (especially earlier in Cunneyworth's tenure) actually keeps players on their toes and forces them to pay more attention to the lines being called?

I would assume that most mix-ups at the bench would be caused by inattention or complacency than they are by player confusion.

Regardless of the cause, it's a good trend.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
I find myself staying awake all game now that he's gone.
That's the deal breaker for me.

Seb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Ollie Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by expy View Post
Cunneyworth's been doing a decent job considering the state in which Martin left the team to him.

Can't say there really is anything bad about Martin being gone. The guy drove away some decent players.
Ummmm.... What?

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:57 AM
poetryinmotion

It's nice but I like the increased offensive output a lot more. Eller would have never scored 4 goals under martin, and how about those 7 goal romps, especially against DET>!>!

Can you picture that with Martin still here? We would probably try to play it safe, always on our toes waiting for them to make a mistake instead of provoking them.

The forechecking is impressive too.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Just like Carriere should get the credit for what the op is talking about ?
So it's his fault the Habs record is poor?

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote