HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs win 7-2, @suckattanking

Old
01-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Too bad all of our goals have come in three games.
Cmon now there is no reason to be negative. Take the three highest scoring games of any team and they would drop in GF. Don't the Bruins have like three 9 goal games this year? Cmon now.

The habs ES and GF have improved significantly from last season. MathMan is right, if the PP was working, the habs would probably be top 10 in GF this year.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:49 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Been the problem all year. Offense not spread out enough. If it was the Habs would be comfortably in the playoffs.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:50 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
A lot of people left with about 2:30 to go in the game to beat the rush but other than that, it was full as ever.

I guess my eyewitness report can't compete with your 42" TV but just thought I'd give you the perspective from someone who was actually in the building.
How big are your eyes, like 1 inch? I'm assuming you have two of them, that gives you a ~2-3 inches of viewing radius, compared to his 42" TV, sorry bro.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:51 PM
Andy

Like someone said in this thread already. Look at Detroit without their number 1 dman. Their defense was plain sloppy as they had guys playing in roles they are not used to. It really makes you wonder what difference Markov would have made. Even if it only meant 4 or 5 more wins, that would have been significant and considering all the blown leads and SO losses, it could have been a possibility.

Ahhh such a shame.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:51 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
Blunden is actually very good so far this season!! Starting to love this player!
Even Darche is starting to play well!!!!

Darche-White-Blunden
Blunden is going to be our 6'4 Begin,good speed,always in there.

Darche won't(shouldn't) be back, example tonight missed open net...

They need someone who can even convert even 30 percent of those chances,he can't convert.

It would really help .

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:55 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
I saw a "lot" of empty chairs in the red and first row (behind the board). By lot I mean 30-40 empty seats but I can only see one side of the ice on tv so I guess there was more.

And it was in the middle of 2nd or third period so it wasn't at the beginning or end of a period.
There was a huge group of fans in Red Wings jerseys right around where I think you're describing, it's possible they took off when the game got out of reach, I dunno.

I'm just saying - people who are trying to paint the picture that the fans are staying away in droves or the Bell Centre isn't what it used to be or people are protesting the team's style/losing ways/etc and not going to the games...I didn't see any evidence of it tonight.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:56 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Like someone said in this thread already. Look at Detroit without their number 1 dman. Their defense was plain sloppy as they had guys playing in roles they are not used to. It really makes you wonder what difference Markov would have made. Even if it only meant 4 or 5 more wins, that would have been significant and considering all the blown leads and SO losses, it could have been a possibility.

Ahhh such a shame.
All the better for next season when everyone is calling the Habs a lottery team. Assuming Markov comes back healthy of course.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:56 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
A lot of people left with about 2:30 to go in the game to beat the rush but other than that, it was full as ever.

I guess my eyewitness report can't compete with your 42" TV but just thought I'd give you the perspective from someone who was actually in the building.
I was at the game too. Didn't notice any empty seats at all and the atmosphere was absolutely electric (and why wouldn't it be?).

What a game played by Cole. Size, speed, strength, drive, paying the price etc. Great signing! I'm picking up a Cole t-shirt at Bell Centre Boutique (or whatever they call it now) tomorrow morning before I fly back home.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:02 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Actually, the Habs have been changing the trend lately. In 4 of their last 5 games they are well above their season average in offensive output. They scored 4 vs Pittburgh and NYR, 3 vs Toronto, and 7 tonight.

I've noticed a change in their offensive attack and their ability to win battles on the boards in the offensive zone given that they are now a much bigger team. Bourque's goal was an example of a big skilled forward going to the net. Cole's goal along with Eller was an example of two big bodies battling infront of the net to score. The Kostitsyn feed to Emelin was about size and his ability to win the puck battle behind the net.

I like what I'm seeing. This is no longer the smurf habs team we're used to seeing. Bourque's addition and Cammalleri's subtraction have helped big time. Having big skilled forwards like Cole, Pacioretty, Kostitsyn and Eller already on the team makes this team big overall upfront. It's creating room for our small top two centers in Desharnais and Plekanec.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:04 PM
prairie hab

[QUOTE=Protest the Hero;43127641]All the better for next season when everyone is calling the Habs a lottery team. Assuming Markov comes back healthy of course.[/QUOTE]

LOL at this ^

Markov is done like dinner. Book it.

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:07 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Pacioretty is 9th in the NHL in ES goals. He's also 16th in the league in SOG.
Erik Cole 29th in ES point. It's been a while since we've done so well at even strenght.

We have 7 fowards who should, injuries aside, break 30 ES points : Cole, Pacioretty,DD,Plekanec,AK,Eller,Bourque. Last season we had 3: Plek,AK,Gio (Pouliot, yes that Pouliot, came close with 29 + Cammy was on that pace).

If someone had told me at the beginning of the season that we would be 11th in the whole league in ES goals in January, I would have guessed we'd currently be battling Boston for the division. Stupid powerplay, you could have failed us anytime you wanted in the last few years but no, it had to be this year,

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Gainey calls Roy, last monday :

"Hey Patty, I need to get this team fired up. We're going up against your most hated team and I want them fired up. It would mean a lot if you could make some type of comment in the media, something about how we need to tank to get a better player. Strike them where it hurts the most, their ego"

"Sure thing Bob, I know just what to say"

Whether it was intended or not, pretty sure what Roy said got them fired up.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:09 PM
LesHabsRock

Habs also have 6 players with 10 goals or more. Desharnais and Moen have 9, Gionta has 8. Depending on if and when Gionta returns from injury the Habs can have 9 players with double digit goal totals.

Cole, Pacioretty and Bourque within striking distance of 20 goals or more.

Old
01-25-2012, 11:10 PM
CrazyShea

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllertoKostitsynGoal View Post
Pacioretty is 9th in the NHL in ES goals. He's also 16th in the league in SOG.
Erik Cole 29th in ES point. It's been a while since we've done so well at even strenght.

We have 7 fowards who should, injuries aside, break 30 ES points : Cole, Pacioretty,DD,Plekanec,AK,Eller,Bourque. Last season we had 3: Plek,AK,Gio (Pouliot, yes that Pouliot, came close with 29 + Cammy was on that pace).

If someone had told me at the beginning of the season that we would be 11th in the whole league in ES goals in January, I would have guessed we'd currently be battling Boston for the division. Stupid powerplay, you could have failed us anytime you wanted in the last few years but no, it had to be this year,
The powerplay sucking is PG's fault. Should of kept the Wiz or replaced his shot. He never thus resulting in a ****** powerplay

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:14 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Gainey calls Roy, last monday :

"Hey Patty, I need to get this team fired up. We're going up against your most hated team and I want them fired up. It would mean a lot if you could make some type of comment in the media, something about how we need to tank to get a better player. Strike them where it hurts the most, their ego"

"Sure thing Bob, I know just what to say"

Whether it was intended or not, pretty sure what Roy said got them fired up.
Interesting perspective! I like it.

It's all fine and good for a HF Poster who has never played a competitive sport to hope for a team to tank over a playoff berth, but it's completely unacceptable for any coach to be in favour of tanking. That's why Roy is a Junior coach. He'd be a complete disaster coaching multimillionaire grown men.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:19 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyShea View Post
The powerplay sucking is PG's fault. Should of kept the Wiz or replaced his shot. He never thus resulting in a ****** powerplay
Montreal is actually 23rd in the league in Power Play Goals scored. Here's a list of teams who have scored less (or the same) power play goals than the habs:

NY Rangers
St Louis Blues
Tampa Bay Lightning
Dallas
Phoenix
New Jersey (tied with Habs)
Minnesota (tied with habs)

Two of these teams are among the tops in the league. 4 of these teams are in the playoffs, yet they've scored the same or fewer pp goals than the habs. Interesting.

Old
01-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Forsead

Awesome game in a season where we need this to cheer us up. Also, one of my favorite player Lars Eller is doing something we really hasn't seeing does since he is here : having a good consecutive streak of point production. That's an important part of a top 6 center game. I'm hoping this will continue.

Also good job for Emelin, that was by far his best game offensively I mean he could have gotten 2 passes along with his goal tonight. If he can bring some offense to his game the guy has the potential to be a number 2 D. Also good job to Diaz the guy is eating up minutes and he is doing up a good job, plus he will be a 30+ pts D in this league.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:32 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Awesome game in a season where we need this to cheer us up. Also, one of my favorite player Lars Eller is doing something we really hasn't seeing does since he is here : having a good consecutive streak of point production. That's an important part of a top 6 center game. I'm hoping this will continue.

Also good job for Emelin, that was by far his best game offensively I mean he could have gotten 2 passes along with his goal tonight. If he can bring some offense to his game the guy has the potential to be a number 2 D. Also good job to Diaz the guy is eating up minutes and he is doing up a good job, plus he will be a 30+ pts D in this league.
1)Totally agree. I hope Eller starts producing, he's got the defensive side of the game locked down (see him vs. Datsyuk tonight) and if he can start putting up numbers he'll be fantastic. His hands and his puck control tonight were spectacular too. Great puck handler, great along the boards, definitely a favourite of mine as well.

2)Emelin is blossoming into a valuable D for us. I agree on the #2D potential too. Emelin has all the tools, and most of the time (unlike tonight) he doesn't take bad penalties, he's big, strong, fast, and when his confidence increases, he will dominate both ends of the ice.

3)Diaz is impressing me. He handles the puck with poise and his shot is nice. he has gotten better at positioning as the year has gone on, and he gets it done in the corners despite his size. If he can solidify a positioning style game he could be a great D for Montreal.

Last edited by StellerEller: 01-25-2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: premature submission
StellerEller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:40 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
Actually, the Habs have been changing the trend lately. In 4 of their last 5 games they are well above their season average in offensive output. They scored 4 vs Pittburgh and NYR, 3 vs Toronto, and 7 tonight.

I've noticed a change in their offensive attack and their ability to win battles on the boards in the offensive zone given that they are now a much bigger team. Bourque's goal was an example of a big skilled forward going to the net. Cole's goal along with Eller was an example of two big bodies battling infront of the net to score. The Kostitsyn feed to Emelin was about size and his ability to win the puck battle behind the net.

I like what I'm seeing. This is no longer the smurf habs team we're used to seeing. Bourque's addition and Cammalleri's subtraction have helped big time. Having big skilled forwards like Cole, Pacioretty, Kostitsyn and Eller already on the team makes this team big overall upfront. It's creating room for our small top two centers in Desharnais and Plekanec.
Yup, right on schedule. The drive for 8th is on.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:51 PM
andy28

With guys like Eller, Cole, Patches and now Bourque the Habs seem a lot bigger. And for a small guy, that Desharnais is pretty solid.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:23 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Even if we're still tanking, it's always nice to win the last game before a break. Makes you bitter to lose beforehand.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:26 AM
capebretoncanadien

nice way to go into the week off.....good work boys!!

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:33 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyShea View Post
more Connie (and JM before him) fault as we do have a great shot on D, we're just not playing him...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 12:33 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Yup, right on schedule. The drive for 8th is on.
And why not? The team has a young and inexperienced defense that is progressing nicely. Their goaltender is very young and plays like a vet. They shed Cammalleri's contract and got bigger. They have 2 young and inexperienced centers in DD and Eller already showing a plethora of progress. Pacioretty is another big young forward who has a lot of growing to do and is still on pace for a 30 goal season. AK is a strong winger at the young age of 27 (next month). In the offseason they'll get rid of that Gomez contract as well and free up more cap space.

So, what's your beef with the Montreal Canadiens progressing with their young rebuilding core? Isn't that what you wanted? A rebuild or retool? Well, The Habs have done that right under our noses and have vets like Cole and Gionta. Our oldest center is Plekanec at 29. We now have three pretty good centers surrounded by big wingers.

What do habs fans want? Bigger forwards. Check. Go with youth movement. Check. Shed big contracts (cammy now and gomez to come). Check.

And in the midst of all that, if the habs make the playoffs that's icing on the cake.

Old
01-26-2012, 12:42 AM
HeyTony

7-2!!! Saw the game from the second row, first game this season.. great game to be at.

HeyTony is offline   Reply With Quote