HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

All Star Fan Fair

Old
01-27-2012, 05:21 AM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

vCash: 500
It was a pretty fun experience. I was there pretty much from open to close yesterday and it wasn't all that busy. I'm anticipating it being a zoo starting today though, so unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to head back.

stempniaksen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 06:28 AM
Afro Thunder*

Anyone know which players will be there today and how long they would be there? I am going after work.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 06:40 AM
masterandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
Anyone know which players will be there today and how long they would be there? I am going after work.
Patrick Lalime, CuJo, Shaun Van Allen signing at 11:30
Karlsson interview at 11:30
Spezza signing at noon and interview at 2:30
Hossa signing at 1
Alfie interview at 1 and signing at 2:15
Gordie Howe signing at 3
Chara signing at 6:30

https://twitter.com/#!/AlicjawithaJ

The interview was 45 minutes at the XM sirius satellite booth. I think the hockey players make their rounds so they will stay for a couple hours

masterandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 08:33 AM
kammyBlazer*

Anybody know where most players go to in the market? hoping to possibly see some of them out in the market tonight.

kammyBlazer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 09:16 AM
jbeck5

I will tell my day yesterday:

Friend calls me up...lets go to fanfair...i have no money...she'll pay...sugar momma? yupppers.

So it's about 2pm...we go to this bar called the ex (i think) and sugar momma buys us some beers...who else do we see but paul maclean. His wife noticed us notice right away and smiled. We finished our beer and as we were leaving, i was approaching them to just say a quick hello. his wife noticed me walking towards them and had the biggest smile on her face. I talked to paul for a minute and said along the lines of "im happy you're our coach. you've done a real good job with the young guys...the team seems revitalized" and he said something along the lines of "couldnt be happier to be here in ottawa" and then a bunch of "good luck" and "thank you". Paul carried himself in his normal way like you see on tv, but what stood out was how excited his wife seemed.

Then onto fan fair...as im waiting in line to get in on that curvy ramp i see greening walking by so i yell "colin!"...nothing..."colin!!"...nothing...me and my friend together "COLIN!!" nothing...so i go "greening?" and he turns around...so we both waved and said hi.

Then as soon as you enter there is the team 1200 booth. I talked to donovan and york. Mentioned that i have pics with york way back with "skate with the senators" in 98 and 99.

Saw karlsson, and alfie, and bettman etc...but it was all breef.

I saw andre roy and started talking to him. He would not shut up. He loved that i recognized him.

I started it off by saying i was pissed they traded him because he was our toughest player and our weakness going into the playoffs against the leafs was our toughness...

Before i could even finish the sentence said "too bad you got traded..." and he cuts me off and says "for yuha freakin ylonen!" you could tell he was pissed haha. and he goes on to say "you know how jacques was...he doesn't like that type of rough play. He wants everyone to be skilled and responsible" and he goes on to say it doesn't make sense he got traded because "he was putting in 110% on D making sure not to be a liability, and would finish his checks all the time" he said he was so pissed to go to tampa...talked about how going from a playoff team to a non playoff team at the deadline is a huge pissoff...but he's happy because he got to win the cup a couple years later with them. He says he lives in montreal, but ottawa will always be his second home. Very nice guy. It was fun to actually stand there for 10 minutes with no one in line behind me and to just talk hockey.

jbeck5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 09:20 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammyBlazer View Post
Anybody know where most players go to in the market? hoping to possibly see some of them out in the market tonight.
Karlsson is hosting a party at junxion.

A lot of players go to cabin...giroux bartended there last night.

I think seguin was at cabin as well but i could be wrong.

Heart and crown might have some people tonight.

Old
01-27-2012, 09:58 AM
kellmuff96

UGH This freezing rain sucks. Is the weather still ****** in Ottawa right now? I'm about an hour away

kellmuff96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:17 AM
kammyBlazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellmuff96 View Post
UGH This freezing rain sucks. Is the weather still ****** in Ottawa right now? I'm about an hour away
It's terrible right now. Ice covering everything, might be a bit better this evening tho

Old
01-27-2012, 10:20 AM
kammyBlazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
Karlsson is hosting a party at junxion.

A lot of players go to cabin...giroux bartended there last night.

I think seguin was at cabin as well but i could be wrong.

Heart and crown might have some people tonight.
thanks, I'll just keep on that street with heart and crown and cabin and see what happens.

Old
01-27-2012, 10:28 AM
coladin

vCash: 1413
I had a great time with my son yesterday. We were there right at the opening...walking from the Rideau Centre to the Congress Centre with a military marching band playing "I believe' from the Olympics. I am getting goosebumps just thinking about it! That , and I don't know why, was one of my highlights. Those Olympics for me was such a pivotal memory in my life, but anyways, I digress....

Next goosebump moment? Waiting in line for the doors to open after the arrival of all the trophies and that darn marching band starts up with possibly the best and most correct version of the "Hockey Night in Canada " theme. EVER. So, you may take that I am a amusician and music nut by now!

It was not packed, I think Thurs aft was a good call, my son got his jersey signed in by Karlsson which made his day, and we did all those hockey events, a lot of fun and harder than you think! Especially the one you had to flip over the sliding bodies...I think I got 2 there. On most of the target shooting i would get 1-2. I did better on the deflection one, I almost got them all! My 10 year old would always go first, the weasel, which puts undue pressure on ol' dad and of course, I succumbed to it every time, except slap shot.

We should start a thread on this one - my slapper with a crappy stick? 62.5 mph...watch out! The highest I saw was a guy hit 70mph, pretty good!

All in all, a huge deal for me and my kid, this will only happen every 30 years. May God leave me to see it again in Ottawa, and for my son to (hopefully) bring his to with gramps (yikes).

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:44 AM
kellmuff96

Quote:
It's terrible right now. Ice covering everything, might be a bit better this evening tho
You have no idea what kind of downer I am on right now because of this. I live in Brockville and planned to be there when the doors opened today. But I'm not going to drive 100KM in freezing rain

It's rare enough to be able to meet Spezza or Alfie like this but Gordie Howe and Mike Bossy?! Literally a once in a lifetime chance that I'm missing out on because of fluke weather

One of the worst days I've had in a long long time

Old
01-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Roots73

Silly question. My kids keep asking if they will see the mascots. I promised they will... But will all the mascots from the different teams be there?

Roots73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:55 AM
Clive Barley
Condra Commander

I believe they are, or most were there yesterday anyway.

Sparty, Wild Wing, Leafs & Wild Mascots were there that I saw yesterday. Imagine the rest were kicking around somewhere

Clive Barley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 11:07 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots73 View Post
Silly question. My kids keep asking if they will see the mascots. I promised they will... But will all the mascots from the different teams be there?
I saw atleast a dozen mascots...i didn't see sparty though...

I joked around with the hawks, jackets, leafs, and ducks and Sabre's mascot... The chicago mascot sillystringed my friend wearing a wings jersey.

Old
01-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Gearbox

Quote:
Last night a lot of the TSN staff showed up at Junxion around midnight. Dregger, MacKenzie, Duteschyn, Onrait were all there. Looked pretty out of place. Alfredsson and a few of the Sens were at Social also. There were also a bunch of random all-stars at Cabin last night.

Gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
so far, ive noticed through tv, in the draft and the fan fair videos, that everyone has the same fake alfredsson jersey as i do. lol.

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 05:37 PM
kellmuff96

Did anyone go today? heard they have a schedule posted there for the rest of the weekend and that Iginla and Perry will be doing autographs tomorrow? Anyone confirm? Any other players there tomorrow? Any Sens?

Old
01-27-2012, 09:20 PM
The_Team_Nurse

I've been volunteering at the Fan Fair and have been having a good time with it. I have mostly worked the skills games. It's a good go but by the end of a shift I've had a pretty good work out running around picking up pucks at a few of the games. I've seen a few of the players and there are mascots from all the teams wandering around every where. The line-ups for the skills games were pretty long today, but that is to be expected and just a small part of what fan fair has on offer. I'm taking my brother-in-law and little niece tomorrow once I finish my volunteer shift and she can't wait to see the Stanley cup. I volunteer a lot, bluesfest the past 4yrs, the world juniors, ect, and have enjoyed the volunteer experience at all-star week so far as well.

The_Team_Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:13 PM
kellmuff96

I heard signing up for the 'fan pass' thing is a bit of a waste of time. Can anyone confirm that? As far as I can tell, it's just some ticket type thing that they print your name on. Kind of a cool souvenir I guess but worth the wait?

Old
01-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Barley View Post
I believe they are, or most were there yesterday anyway.

Sparty, Wild Wing, Leafs & Wild Mascots were there that I saw yesterday. Imagine the rest were kicking around somewhere
I got pictures of the boy with all of them except NYR, Detroit, Philly, Pittsburgh, Dallas, and Edmonton. I'm not even sure that all of those teams have mascots.

I was not pleased by the fact that they weren't going to let me in to see Hossa and Chára. I managed to help get the small group of people without the stupid bracelets in to see Hossa! It made my day.

I sucked at most of the skills games, but I did the dangle zone in just under 20 seconds, so I'm sort of proud of that. I didn't think to take my ring off, so I gave myself a blister at the hardest shot thing. That sort of screwed up my shot. I kept hitting the piece of plexiglass at the deflection one. Over the course of the past two days, I think I hit all of the holes, but I never made more than two in one go. The precision passing one was bloody hard. I could hit the far red one no problem, but the two really easy ones were the only ones I could get.

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:45 PM
kellmuff96

You need a bracelet to get autographs? How do you get one?

Old
01-27-2012, 10:52 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellmuff96 View Post
You need a bracelet to get autographs? How do you get one?
That was for the Hossa/Datsyuk one. I guess you needed to show up at the Reebok booth in the morning, and actually notice the person quietly giving out the bracelets.

I didn't get one, but I led the charge to get the small group of us in.

I also didn't get in to see Chára, but I managed to 'pull enough string,' let's say, to get an autographed picture anyway. I guess they weren't letting people get pictures with Chára, but I got one with Hossa.

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 08:13 AM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Team_Nurse View Post
I've been volunteering at the Fan Fair and have been having a good time with it. I have mostly worked the skills games. It's a good go but by the end of a shift I've had a pretty good work out running around picking up pucks at a few of the games. I've seen a few of the players and there are mascots from all the teams wandering around every where. The line-ups for the skills games were pretty long today, but that is to be expected and just a small part of what fan fair has on offer. I'm taking my brother-in-law and little niece tomorrow once I finish my volunteer shift and she can't wait to see the Stanley cup. I volunteer a lot, bluesfest the past 4yrs, the world juniors, ect, and have enjoyed the volunteer experience at all-star week so far as well.
I was wondering if any of the volunteers I was working with were on HF Boards. I'm ''Ben'' btw. It's great to hear you've enjoyed volunteering, we're really trying hard to make sure both the guests and the volunteers are having fun. (which can very difficult when your slightly understaffed)

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 08:20 AM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Heading down to fan fest now and looking forward to it. Have heard it's a good time and you can to see and do a lot.

What's the story on autographs? You need a special bracelet for it?

Hoping the meet the TSN guys and get some cool pics.

To anyone else heading down - Enjoy!

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 10:26 AM
ollie

I went to Fan Fest last night and found it disappointing. Got there around 7:30, expecting to stay until close but left around 9 out of boredom and not wanting to get further fleeced on over-priced crap beer. Looks like a great event if you have kids but as an adult I felt it lacking. It would have been cool if there were some players, or media guys, or heck, even mascots around but it seems like all the cool stuff ended early. Food was overpriced too and the entrance fee is a complete joke. Oh yeah, $3 to park your coat as well. $89 for 2 adults with food and 2 beers each. Should have saved my money for a Sens game.

I'm glad that the majority of posters here found it fun, but it's not an event for everyone. Not trying to be a downer, just wanted to share my experience.

ollie is offline   Reply With Quote