HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul Hamilton: "If Darcy and Lindy are fired, it will NOT be during the season"

Old
01-26-2012, 07:06 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
it was the same post-game where he made his "there isn't one trade that is going to turn this around" comment. He was saying "we didn't pay attn to the the details"...Using "we" when he means "they". Coach's job is the details.
And he said a lot of other things that pointed to coaching as well - that they hadn't adjusted to changes in the league, that it had been years since they were good, and that they had failed to change the way they were playing to get back to that level.

I'm paraphrasing, but the gist of it, and combined with his "no trade will fix this" comment, make me think he was specifically referring to coaching.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 07:25 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Atta boy Pegula. Your only flaw showing bright as ever.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:12 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
Wait...so you mean randomly changing lines 24/7 isn't the only way to adapt to what the other team does? That's a crazy suggestion
emptoicon click
con
ivk
emo

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:57 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
firing the GM today, gives a new guy time to evaluate and make trades knowing he has a much longer window to build a team in. With this "he won't be fired IN season" stuff out there, Regier has to think that he has to turn things around now. Which means, NON Rebuild type moves.

if you WANT to see a rebuild, and not more plugging of the holes on a sinking ship, then firing the GM NOW, is a HUGE gain.
Well stated. Status quo means Darcy (with Lindy's input) will be making trade deadline decisions that will affect the team next year and beyond. And free agency and UFA decisions. And the draft. If a GM change won't occur during the season, they need to happen the week after the season ends to minimize further damage.

A coaching change would have been more effective back in December (see Ducks, Blues, Caps). IMO Terry Pegula's public stmt of confidence in Ruff was a dumb thing to say in public (took his options off the table) and in hindsight (always 20/20) helped assured the same old methods and philosophy and results.

Last edited by littletonhockeycoach: 01-27-2012 at 12:04 AM.
littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 12:29 AM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
Well stated. Status quo means Darcy (with Lindy's input) will be making trade deadline decisions that will affect the team next year and beyond. And free agency and UFA decisions. And the draft. If a GM change won't occur during the season, they need to happen the week after the season ends to minimize further damage.

A coaching change would have been more effective back in December (see Ducks, Blues, Caps). IMO Terry Pegula's public stmt of confidence in Ruff was a dumb thing to say in public (took his options off the table) and in hindsight (always 20/20) helped assured the same old methods and philosophy and results.
exactly. his decisions would almost certainly be different than those of another gm if we got one.
OT but based on his previous post, it looks like jame had a good thursday night

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 07:11 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Firing one or both now really doesn't accomplish much except to satiate those screaming for heads to roll.
Agreed - although, given the tidal wave of negative feelings and ill will towards the team (players to coaches to management to ownership), some bloodletting even if for PR reasons wouldn't be all bad. A lot of the skepticism and doubts that many feel about the franchise would diminish if an act of radical change occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcs View Post
I can't help but think that's not what's best for the franchise. Waiting for the sake of waiting gives the new regime, if there is one, less time to prepare for the upcoming draft/free agency period/season. I hope this is not a case of Terry just being curtious to his guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Do it in the offseason if you're going to do it, less hubbub and it arguably makes the "firing" a bit more dignified.
I agree with Clock's take - and think that Pegula is the type to want to let Regier / Ruff go out, if at all, saving some face under the generalized "we're going in a different direction" mantra teams often use when doing housecleaning at the GM / coaching level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thahamer View Post
Like stated on WGR this morning... I am a bit afraid that the team improves, but falls short of playoffs. They use that as a reason why they shouldn't be ousted.
It's a legitimate concern, even if it's based on the precedent we saw so often under Quinn where he'd set the mandate at the start of the season ("make the playoffs or changes will happen") only to retract and keep the status quo in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaPow View Post
Don't worry about that. Regier would rather do nothing and get fired than make the wrong move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
exactly...

fire darcy and lindy, hire dudley and carlyle, begin rebuild
I'm all for Dudley but I'm not so convinced that Carlyle is the right guy to take over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php

There aren't even any good #2 centers looking at this list.

Tuomo Ruutu and Jarret Stoll might be the two best UFA centers this year.
Ruutu is a winger that, like Hecht and Boyes, has been used on occasion at center. As a winger, I'd like him but there's no way I'd want the Sabres to make him the sequel to the Leino experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok89 View Post
What about keeping Regier in a scouting role? We've had real good success over the years with Darcy drafting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
If that happens I don't expect Regier or Ruff to be fired, even if they miss the playoffs by a few points. Pegula will cite the injuries and they'll be back next season. I think they have to finish the season the same way they've played for most of it to get their walking papers.
I see where you're coming from but I'm not so sure Pegula would be able to accept a non-playoff season - not only would it be a step backwards rather than progress off last season's end but would make his boasts of confidence about the 3-year window for a Cup seem even more unrealistic, if not a little hypocritical. To say the Cup is the goal and then stand pat after a playoff absence wouldn't bolster his credibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Dudley was a player that played tough and people want a tough team.
I loved Rob Ray's story on MSG not long ago during an intermission segment of "The Whip" when he told of one game in 1989 where the Sabres lost and Dudley and his assistant, John Tortorella, were heard smashing, kicking stuff and screaming profanities in the locker room about how the team played. Ray said they were more upset than the players were.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 08:44 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I am in the camp that thinks deadline day is important for a new GM. If Regier ****s this up and then gets fired, we are screwed.

Yes, a new GM by draft day is a must. But firing the GM mid year isn't the worst thing.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote