HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

what if, toronto expansion

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Grimace

vCash: 500
what if, toronto expansion

Marvel Comics use to have a great series called What If? So, I'm bored and there's no news about the coyotes moving, so I'm going to play what if....

since there's always talk of a 2nd team in Toronto why doesn't the NHL just say you want a 2nd team? We will sell you an expansion team for say $1 billion or what every crazy amount but you will need a new building, be the anchor tenant with a 25 year no move lease.

the reason I said $1 billion is 1) sounds cool, 2) we need a value where every team around that area gets a pay off and the NHL gets a nice chunk of change for a expansion team. this would also help for the next Canadian TV contract.

the biggest pay off, we get more Toronto on TV, because everyone knows, no one every gets sick of Toronto.

I guess the only other clause is that the team has to suck for decades but I think that just happened naturally there. I kid, cause its true.

Old
01-26-2012, 08:39 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
since there's always talk of a 2nd team in Toronto why doesn't the NHL just say you want a 2nd team? We will sell you an expansion team for say $1 billion or what every crazy amount but you will need a new building, be the anchor tenant with a 25 year no move lease.
Who is "you" here?

Old
01-26-2012, 08:57 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Maybe fix the broken franchises first before expanding.

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Old
01-26-2012, 11:11 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Closing this for now.

This has been discussed in the Markham arena thread as well as many times in the Phoenix saga threads, and a few attempts with Hamilton.

If the OP can provide more support (like a list of locations/arenas and potential owners), mods will consider reopening.

Old
01-26-2012, 11:51 AM
JMROWE

There is no way Toronto is going to get a 2nd NHL. team & I have said this before this whole idea of a Toronto 2 team came about when it looked like Hamilton was going to get one . The thing is that MLSE. will block any move or expansion of an NHL. team into the GTA. unless any future owner pays huge money to look the other way plus the cost of a Toronto 2 team would be will over billion dollars when you factor in all the costs with a new arena , MLSE , team & other costs let me break it down for you.

TO2.
new arena 450 - 500 million
team - 350 - 450 million
MLSE. - 150 - 200 million
other costs - ???????$$$$$

= min. $950 million - max. $ 1.2 billion

A NHL. team in Hamilton or sorounding areas would cost 60% less than a Toronto 2 team & would see profits much sooner do to the low costs in Hamilton whille a TO2 team would not see a profit for at least 5 years it just makes much more business sense to put team in the Hamilton area than in the Toronto (GTA.) .

Hamilton area
renovate Copps - 150 - 200 million , build new arena 325 million
team 250 - 300 million
MLSE. 30 million , Sabres 25 million
other costs - ??????????$$$$

renovated Copps = min. 455 million , max 505 million
new arena = min. 630 million max. 680 million

Hamilton area NHL. team 455 - 680 million
Toronto 2 (GTA.) team 950 million - 1.2 billion

Which makes more sense ????

Old
01-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Kebekoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMROWE View Post
There is no way Toronto is going to get a 2nd NHL. team & I have said this before this whole idea of a Toronto 2 team came about when it looked like Hamilton was going to get one . The thing is that MLSE. will block any move or expansion of an NHL. team into the GTA. unless any future owner pays huge money to look the other way plus the cost of a Toronto 2 team would be will over billion dollars when you factor in all the costs with a new arena , MLSE , team & other costs let me break it down for you.

TO2.
new arena 450 - 500 million
team - 350 - 450 million
MLSE. - 150 - 200 million
other costs - ???????$$$$$

= min. $950 million - max. $ 1.2 billion

A NHL. team in Hamilton or sorounding areas would cost 60% less than a Toronto 2 team & would see profits much sooner do to the low costs in Hamilton whille a TO2 team would not see a profit for at least 5 years it just makes much more business sense to put team in the Hamilton area than in the Toronto (GTA.) .

Hamilton area
renovate Copps - 150 - 200 million , build new arena 325 million
team 250 - 300 million
MLSE. 30 million , Sabres 25 million
other costs - ??????????$$$$

renovated Copps = min. 455 million , max 505 million
new arena = min. 630 million max. 680 million

Hamilton area NHL. team 455 - 680 million
Toronto 2 (GTA.) team 950 million - 1.2 billion

Which makes more sense ????
Quebec make more sense

Phoenix cost : 170M$
Relo cost : 30M$ (Source : my ass)

200M$

Old
01-26-2012, 12:07 PM
JMROWE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebekoi View Post
Quebec make more sense

Phoenix cost : 170M$
Relo cost : 30M$ (Source : my ass)

200M$
I was comparring Hamilton area & Toronto (GTA.) not quebec in which would make more business sense like costs & how soon they can turn a profit .
Of course Quebec City would be cheaper because they don't have to deal with so called territory rights & also you forgot to put the cost of the new proposed arena in Quebec City which is 400 million

= $600 million

Last edited by JMROWE: 01-26-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Closed Thread