HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Connauton's worth the wait for Canucks - Jim Jamieson

Old
01-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

vCash: 500
I think it plays out like this... another season or so in the AHL, learning how to play defense and getting bigger and stronger. Over that time he starts getting more and more call-ups and more protracted tastes of the NHL experience. With proper coaching, patience, lack of injuries, and a bit of luck, he could an all-around monster.

By the 2013-14 season, best case scenario, Connauton, Sauve and Tanev fill out our top 4 or 5. If they all max out their potential, it will be awesome.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
So how much of this can be attributed to MacT? I seem to remember him having a pretty solid track record of developing defensemen in Edmonton (wasn't prime-time Gilbert his doing?). After starting slowly, he seems to be having an effect on our young players. In fact, is Tom Gilbert a good Connauton comparable?
From the first time MacTavish saw Connauton during training camp he was pumping his tires. Back in early September2011 it was reported:
Coach Craig MacTavish, who didn’t know much about Connauton coming in, has become a fan.

“You have a kid with that skill set, a highly intelligent kid, a highly determined kid,” MacTavish said. “I’d bet on that, that he’s in on the discussion at the end among the Canucks coaches and managers whether he’s going to stay or not.”
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2011/09...-on-connauton/

Maybe Connauton reminds him of Paul Coffey?

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Goldthorpe View Post
I think it plays out like this... another season or so in the AHL, learning how to play defense and getting bigger and stronger. Over that time he starts getting more and more call-ups and more protracted tastes of the NHL experience. With proper coaching, patience, lack of injuries, and a bit of luck, he could an all-around monster.

By the 2013-14 season, best case scenario, Connauton, Sauve and Tanev fill out our top 4 or 5. If they all max out their potential, it will be awesome.
And just think if Luc Bourdon had not died tragically and he had maxed out his potential. Quite an imposing group of young D.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 05:46 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

I wrote a piece on Connauton as well for the CanucksArmy today:

http://canucksarmy.com/2012/1/26/kevin-connauton

No real earth-shattering news, but his development and improvements this season have been impressive.

Quote:
"With the AHL season now more than half done, Connauton has made huge improvements strides in his defensive game. His shot and speed are still dynamic against a much higher level of competition, and he has shown more patience when he's without the puck, and poise when he's got it.

Playing with a rock solid decision maker like Tanev has definitely helped, and it has allowed Connauton a bit more freedom to rush the puck up the ice. The two young defensemen won’t break in with the Canucks at the same time (Connauton is likely another year away, while Tanev should be a regular next season), but it is easy to see them playing together for a long, long time (provided neither is traded at the deadline this year, or in the future).

Craig MacTavish has done a terrific job of taking Connauton’s natural abilities and channelling them in a positive direction. He isn’t trying to reign in Connauton’s natural abilities his skating, speed, his shot. Instead he's teaching Connauton to pick his spots better, while also playing the young defenseman in difficult minutes, and challenging him to be better defensively."

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 05:49 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:

I think I agree with this. When I think of Connauton I think of Brendan Smith in Detroit's system. Obviously Smith is not the greatest comparable and he's a better prospect with higher potential, but if I recall Smith was also a very raw, offensively gifted defensemen who needed several years to develop. After being drafted in 2007, he spent 3 years in college and then last season moved on to the AHL. He's playing in the AHL this season and I would imagine will stay there for the most part next season as well. All this to say, prospects of Connauton's and Smith's ilk need time, sometimes lots of it. I think there's a very high chance Connauton not only plays for the Canucks in the future but becomes something of an impact player. Connauton has the raw skillset. Let the Canucks' development staff do the rest and they'll have a real player.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 05:59 PM
kanuck87

Quote:

You're out of your mind. In no scenario will we ever ice two rookie defensemen in one game, much less three of them.

The way I see it, only one of these players ( I'm betting on Tanev) have a chance to make the team next season, and I don't see another rookie making the team for another 2-3 seasons, until Tanev proves that he can be completely trusted. Putting two 1st/2nd year defensemen in the same game is a recipe for disaster.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 06:13 PM
Basso

I bet you he's better than Aarron "5 good games" Rome

Basso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
You're out of your mind. In no scenario will we ever ice two rookie defensemen in one game, much less three of them.

The way I see it, only one of these players ( I'm betting on Tanev) have a chance to make the team next season, and I don't see another rookie making the team for another 2-3 seasons, until Tanev proves that he can be completely trusted. Putting two 1st/2nd year defensemen in the same game is a recipe for disaster.
Come the 2013-14 season, Tanev, Connauton and Sauve will all be between 23-25... even "project defensemen" tend to be getting some semi-regular time in the bigs by that age (if there's any hope for them at all). You're right though, I don't see the 'Nucks icing that many rookie/sophomore/inexperienced D-men on a regular basis. Probably, provided they all keep progressing, one or more of them would be trade bait.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 06:49 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Come the 2013-14 season, Tanev, Connauton and Sauve will all be between 23-25... even "project defensemen" tend to be getting some semi-regular time in the bigs by that age (if there's any hope for them at all). You're right though, I don't see the 'Nucks icing that many rookie/sophomore/inexperienced D-men on a regular basis. Probably, provided they all keep progressing, one or more of them would be trade bait.
Unless Connauton forces his way onto the team ( he would have to be a lot better defensively for this to happen), only Tanev out of the three will be on the team for the next two seasons, imo. Sauve is in the same scenario as Connauton, but I dont see him playing well enough to force AV's hand.

Old
01-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Tanev, Con' have the best chance at making it to the bigs, I expect Sauve traded by the deadline or in offseason in a package to get a player to help us on our never ending Cup journey.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:15 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Hopefully we can get this Connauton/Tanev pairing going in the NHL soon because that would help us preserve some cap space on the back-end. If Connauton can replace Ballard we're already way ahead.

Assuming Salo retires, Connauton sounds like the heir apparent for the big PP point shot
Edler?

But having more is always good.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:23 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post

So 3-4 seasons out before Connauton even gets a shot... So 24 to 25 years old.

Very likely he's playing the NHL before that.

Old
01-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
I wrote a piece on Connauton as well for the CanucksArmy today:

http://canucksarmy.com/2012/1/26/kevin-connauton

No real earth-shattering news, but his development and improvements this season have been impressive.
"Connauton has made huge improvements strides in his defensive game"

Fix it before anyone else notices!

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:30 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slot 3 View Post
This. With the short leash that AV has on Ballard because of his defensive deficiencies, Connauton might be in for a world of hurt.
Hence why he's working on his defensive game. He wants to be more than an offensive defensemen.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

I've always liked Connauton, was thrilled with the pick and more thrilled when he came to the Giants.

I see him spending all of next year down, half of the following year, then making it the year after. Tanev makes the club next year so by the time Connauton makes it Tanev will be in his 3rd full year with some partial experience from this year and last. Makes sense to me.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 11:15 PM
billvanseattle

look guys you do realize that many players potential is limited.

There is a tendency on HF to say, no matter what a player does, damn he could do more. We have KB and AE playing way beyond their draft position. Whats the consencus on here? They are not Weber or Lidstrom,.... BUST.

Instead of the negativity, why not revel in the fact that late round choices are playing great. And just maybe they will have a year where they don't do as well as the year before.

Armchair QB can get pretty tiresome. KC -83rd overall; Sauve 41st overall, Tanev not drafted. Expectations get pretty unrealistic on here.

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 12:04 AM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
So 3-4 seasons out before Connauton even gets a shot... So 24 to 25 years old.

Very likely he's playing the NHL before that.
Which is why I don't see him doing it in a Canucks uniform.

He might be ready for the NHL within the next 2-3 seasons, but he's going to have some growing pains, likewise with Tanev. The team can't afford to carry two such defenseman on the roster at the same time. I like Tanev and think he's going to be a great player very quickly, but even I wouldn't take the chance of playing another very young player when I'm already playing Tanev.

Old
01-27-2012, 12:04 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
look guys you do realize that many players potential is limited.

There is a tendency on HF to say, no matter what a player does, damn he could do more. We have KB and AE playing way beyond their draft position. Whats the consencus on here? They are not Weber or Lidstrom,.... BUST.

Instead of the negativity, why not revel in the fact that late round choices are playing great. And just maybe they will have a year where they don't do as well as the year before.

Armchair QB can get pretty tiresome. KC -83rd overall; Sauve 41st overall, Tanev not drafted. Expectations get pretty unrealistic on here.
Canucks fans on HF Boards in general don't really get defense men, especially where Kevin Bieksa is concerned.

Last edited by Wisp: 01-27-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Wisp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 12:18 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
Canucks fans on HF Boards in general don't really get defense men, especially where Kevin Bieksa is concerned.
Or why Nonis drafted Taylor Ellington.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 12:34 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Or why Nonis drafted Taylor Ellington.
Man, Nonis had that one great draft and a bunch of doozey's, didn't he?

Old
01-27-2012, 01:46 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
@Wisp: I think Nonis mainly relied on his scouts for 2004 , not sure if he had any real input there as he came in right before the draft IIRC.

I think he'll take another 2 full years (with some call-ups in the last year) to be ready for the NHL. But it's a good start though with his new shutdown and PK duties. So is he strictly a left-side guy or can he play the right side too?

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 01:50 AM
Wisp

Should have relied on his scouts more often. Schneider, Edler, and Hansen, right?

Old
01-27-2012, 01:54 AM
serge2k

Quote:
That's because half the time Bieksa doesn't really get the concept of defense.

Notice that hardly anyone whines about Hamhuis? It's because he's consistently good. Bieksa has way too many games where he makes bonehead plays for no reason.

Old
01-27-2012, 01:56 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Should have relied on his scouts more often. Schneider, Edler, and Hansen, right?
+Brown.
He's not that good, but he's in the NHL.

Old
01-27-2012, 02:05 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
That's because half the time Bieksa doesn't really get the concept of defense.

Notice that hardly anyone whines about Hamhuis? It's because he's consistently good. Bieksa has way too many games where he makes bonehead plays for no reason.
I've argued this so much that I pretty much lost the will. I'll say this:

Bieksa is rad. He plays tough, hard minutes against tough competition and almost always comes out ahead. Advanced statistics and analytics support the argument that he is rad. The Canucks use advanced statistics and analytics to evaluate their players and that's how they assembled a rad team.

I'm sure you disagree, but I just don't care anymore. sorry if that sounds flippant, I just want to make it clear where I stand without getting into another argument about it.

Last edited by Wisp: 01-27-2012 at 02:12 AM.