Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Old dog... new position

Old
01-26-2012, 02:08 PM
omalleycat

vCash: 500
Old dog... new position

Has Iggy ever been tried as a centre? Anyone think he could do a job there, Cammy, Tangs and Iggy on a line is an exciting prospect and Iggy works well with both. As an Englishman haven't had the opportunity to play so maybe a little naive in my thoughts of ease of swapping position. So I put it to you. Could it work?

omalleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Northern Heat

He's good at faceoffs but he's a natural RW. The positional play at being a centerman may be an issue. The other thing is that both Cammy and Tangs are left wingers. If that line combo were to happen with Iggy at center then one of Cammy or Tangs would need to move to RW.

If that combo were to happen, Cammy may be the centerman as he has prior experience there.

Northern Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 02:34 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Yup, main issue with Iginla at C is that he's not a great defensive player. Even when he was elite, it was more for his offensive abilities than his play in the d-zone (not that he was bad at it).

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 03:35 PM
jtommyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Heat View Post
He's good at faceoffs but he's a natural RW. The positional play at being a centerman may be an issue. The other thing is that both Cammy and Tangs are left wingers. If that line combo were to happen with Iggy at center then one of Cammy or Tangs would need to move to RW.

If that combo were to happen, Cammy may be the centerman as he has prior experience there.
Cammy played center in LA right? It's been a while since then... And none of those guys are great defensively...

If they can control the puck it might work well, but if they get on the wrong side of it, that could be a disaster.

jtommyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Northern Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtommyt View Post
If they can control the puck it might work well, but if they get on the wrong side of it, that could be a disaster.
Good point

Northern Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

This thread title is very misleading, and the topic of convresation turned out to be a huge dissapointment.

Ice Cream Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 04:49 PM
tfong

Don't think Cammy played center in LA, think they used him as a winger too.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 05:23 PM
MarkGio

Better yet.... maybe Kipper should centre?

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 06:46 PM
omalleycat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
This thread title is very misleading, and the topic of convresation turned out to be a huge dissapointment.
Thanks for your two cents pal. You have a point to make at all?!

Old
01-26-2012, 08:25 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Quote:
Originally Posted by omalleycat View Post
He made his point very clear. It's your title that didn't.

If it's worth anything, Bouwmeester worked great as my center on NHL12.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:45 PM
MarkGio

Iggy playing centre would just look weird.

Old
01-26-2012, 09:38 PM
omalleycat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
He made his point very clear. It's your title that didn't.

If it's worth anything, Bouwmeester worked great as my center on NHL12.
You can't teach an old dog new tricks. Well known saying, my title was just a little play on that. Obviously got lost in translation somewhere over the Atlantic!
And why would your nhl game mean anything to me... Title aside, why is so horrific to suggest that a hockey player, one of the greatest, plays out of position? It's not asking a keeper to play out on the ice, Hawks tried it with Kane and I'm sure others have tried it. I just wanted to know if anyone thought it could solve, atleast temporarily, our need for a top class centre. Aswell as getting our best player on the puck more. You don't have to agree, but give a reason, something to debate. Rather than picking at a title.

Old
01-26-2012, 09:42 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
The problem is a center men is suppose to be the most defensive forward so while Iggy is good at faceoffs he would have to give up some of his offensive game so not much point in switching him to center.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 10:39 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Quote:
You can't teach an old dog new tricks. Well known saying, my title was just a little play on that. Obviously got lost in translation somewhere over the Atlantic!
And why would your nhl game mean anything to me... Title aside, why is so horrific to suggest that a hockey player, one of the greatest, plays out of position? It's not asking a keeper to play out on the ice, Hawks tried it with Kane and I'm sure others have tried it. I just wanted to know if anyone thought it could solve, atleast temporarily, our need for a top class centre. Aswell as getting our best player on the puck more. You don't have to agree, but give a reason, something to debate. Rather than picking at a title.
Iginla is an elite RW. Why change his position after what, 12 years? It's common to see positions changed early in their careers, but at this point, I don't think it would make much sense. I'd much rather see Backlund get the icetime, and continue to develop as a centerman.

Last edited by Skobel24: 01-26-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old
01-26-2012, 10:46 PM
MarkGio

Iggy is our only real natural right wing in the top 6. Otherwise we'll have to put Stempniak or Comb-over on the top line, unless we put someone on their off-wing and have Backlund playing bottom six minutes again. Putting Iggy at centre would have a negative ripple effect on the rest of the team

Old
01-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Iggy is our only real natural right wing in the top 6. Otherwise we'll have to put Stempniak or Comb-over on the top line, unless we put someone on their off-wing and have Backlund playing bottom six minutes again. Putting Iggy at centre would have a negative ripple effect on the rest of the team
I'd still love to see Feaster go after a guy like Arnott. Unfortunately, won't likely happen with the way St.Louis has been playing.

Old
01-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Yeah, dumb thread title. And I made sure you know that. If you want me to 'make a point', quit being hostile. I've been on this board for nine years, so don't lecture me on making a point, you of all but 3 posts.

Old
01-27-2012, 02:26 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Just a heads up for the future: people around here are picky about their titles, sources of information, and stats.

The main boards has a "sticky thread", I believe, that shows all acceptable and creditable sources of information. So saying your buddy told you a trade is going down is unacceptable and will have the posters pounce on you like a hobo on a dollar.

The titles of threads should have the proper prefixes, such as "proposal" if you want to see what people think of your trade proposal. Add a question mark if your asking us something.

And as far as stats goes... don't use absolutes about players, coaches or teams unless you have the stats to back it up. A good way to make a comment is to clearly express that it's your opinion, otherwise expect bombardments of stats to prove you wrong.

Assume that your audience has an inferiority complex, and would like nothing more than to prove you wrong, even if it meant ragging on all the little things. Good luck.

Old
01-27-2012, 02:46 PM
omalleycat

Quote:
Yeah, dumb thread title. And I made sure you know that. If you want me to 'make a point', quit being hostile. I've been on this board for nine years, so don't lecture me on making a point, you of all but 3 posts.

There was no hostility. Just wanted to let you know your post was as pointless as my attempt at a clever title.
Nine years you say, all them posts been pearls of wisdom and expert analysis? ... So how about that 'point'? I got a sneaking suspiscion you're against Iggy playing Centre...?

Old
01-27-2012, 02:48 PM
omalleycat

Quote:
Just a heads up for the future: people around here are picky about their titles, sources of information, and stats.

The main boards has a "sticky thread", I believe, that shows all acceptable and creditable sources of information. So saying your buddy told you a trade is going down is unacceptable and will have the posters pounce on you like a hobo on a dollar.

The titles of threads should have the proper prefixes, such as "proposal" if you want to see what people think of your trade proposal. Add a question mark if your asking us something.

And as far as stats goes... don't use absolutes about players, coaches or teams unless you have the stats to back it up. A good way to make a comment is to clearly express that it's your opinion, otherwise expect bombardments of stats to prove you wrong.

Assume that your audience has an inferiority complex, and would like nothing more than to prove you wrong, even if it meant ragging on all the little things. Good luck.
Haha roger that. Thanks for the heads up. I'll do my homework next time.

Old
01-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
There was no hostility. Just wanted to let you know your post was as pointless as my attempt at a clever title.
Nine years you say, all them posts been pearls of wisdom and expert analysis? ... So how about that 'point'? I got a sneaking suspiscion you're against Iggy playing Centre...?
LOL, Since you so eloquently asked for my 'wisdom and expert analysis'..

Against Iginla playing centre. He's a natural RW'er, and he's a dangler with the puck and skilled in pivotal turning radiuses along the boards. These are skills that help maintain momentum of play, and he's one of the few in the league that can do it as well as he does. His cross-ice passes are also crisp, and his shot is better taken from an angle given the locations on the ice he naturally gravitates to.

What Iginla needs is a centre that can plant his ass infront of the net, ala Tomas Holmstrom, and you'll see Iginla have more success. Once Moss is healthy, I'd try him out in front of Iginla's shots and have him screen goalies. He's a Smyth / Homlstrom light, and it's all we have to work with at this point.

Happy?

Old
01-27-2012, 03:32 PM
The Gnome

Quote:

Against Iginla playing centre. He's a natural RW'er, and he's a dangler with the puck and skilled in pivotal turning radiuses along the boards. These are skills that help maintain momentum of play, and he's one of the few in the league that can do it as well as he does. His cross-ice passes are also crisp, and his shot is better taken from an angle given the locations on the ice he naturally gravitates to.

What Iginla needs is a centre that can plant his ass infront of the net, ala Tomas Holmstrom, and you'll see Iginla have more success. Once Moss is healthy, I'd try him out in front of Iginla's shots and have him screen goalies. He's a Smyth / Homlstrom light, and it's all we have to work with at this point.

Happy?
I'd love to know what your definition of dangler is? Because if it's the same as mine, Iginla is not one at all.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:35 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
I'd love to know what your definition of dangler is? Because if it's the same as mine, Iginla is not one at all.
I don't know dude. After seeing his recent shoot-out attempts, he's developed some sweet moves. He's no Datsuk mind you.

Old
01-27-2012, 03:37 PM
MarkGio

Quote:

Happy?
We tried Moss at centre earlier this year, and it didn't really work out. But probably because Iginla was struggling too at that time. Moss could be a big body in front of the net for sure, but I'm starting to think that Moss is as fragile as glass.

Old
01-27-2012, 03:39 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
I don't know dude. After seeing his recent shoot-out attempts, he's developed some sweet moves. He's no Datsuk mind you.
a shootout is something that can be manufactured through repetition. Watching Iginla go one-on-one with a defender is laughable. The guy is a very complete player, but deking is his weakest attribute by far. He's so bad at it that it is noticable on a nightly basis.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote