Notices

TJ Brodie

Old
01-13-2012, 11:53 PM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

vCash: 500
TJ Brodie

I just wanted to discuss Brodie a little bit. I know we've been talking about him a bit in the GDT, but lately I feel he's deserved some recognition. When he is confident, he's a fantastic player. He's even impressed me defensively of late, especially when he got caught out against the Bobby Ryan line, and more than held his own.

I was very critical of Brodie, mostly because everyone on here was gushing about him last preseason. I knew he had NHL potential, but I couldn't have predicted him playing this well as a rookie.

I acknowledge at this point and time that the crow is served MVW

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 12:00 AM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Nice job eating the crow.. I recall someone posting earlier this season that Brodie will never be a regular NHLer, was that you? Haha.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 12:05 AM
MarkGio

Great rookie season so far. I just hope we continue to develop him right.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 12:20 AM
OrrwastheBeatles

I have been a big fan from day 1. I love his vision in particular and his resulting ability to be able to move the puck forward through the neutral zone.

But the big difference this year is that he is playing really well defensively. And in the last few games he has even had a physical edge.

I continue to believe that he could become a really good NHLer.

Here's hoping, because the Flames could use some positive surprises.

OrrwastheBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 12:33 AM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotalik Fanboy View Post
Nice job eating the crow.. I recall someone posting earlier this season that Brodie will never be a regular NHLer, was that you? Haha.
Time to rustle up old threads haha, there were more than a few disbelievers.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 12:51 AM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

Quote:
Nope, I wasn't that critical. I was just screaming for people to not think he was a Messiah or something, (AKA a top four defenseman) as soon as he hit the ice to start this season.

I was very leery of his defensive play, and his limitations due to size.

Old
01-14-2012, 01:02 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Me and Medium Rare may have gotten into a bit of a discussion about it.... Brodie isnt quite a top 4 defenseman yet, but hes certainly playing like it. He should be a staple on the flames blue-line for years to come. He still has some rookie mistakes, but hes good enough of a skater to cover them. He has been much better than anticipated in his own zone and has shown some physicality. Add all this to his puck moving abilities, he has been a great addition to the blue-line.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:07 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 50
Haha, great OP!

I am glad to see he's getting some recognition, because I think he has been our 2nd best dman in the time that Gio was out. I could care less about saying to people that I told you so or any of that garbage, I'm just glad to see that we have a good young dman on our hands here.

Brodie has always been a fantastic skater with good north to south vision and he carries the puck into the offensive zone very well and also controls the play from the point. But I have to admit, the biggest surprise to me about Brodie this year has been his defensive game. Every game he is making 2-3 noticeable plays in his own end where he is breaking up plays and creating turnovers. He is playing an overall very smart game with a high hockey IQ and helping to generate offence from our backend when he is out there almost every shift it seems like.

Anyways, if he continues his play and his development I really think the sky is the limit for him. He possesses raw skill that Gio doesn't even have and I think his ceiling is quite high. Nice to see how far along he has come in such a short period of time, he has surprised everyone in Calgary I think and I'm glad he is on the Flames.

Last edited by Johnny Hoxville: 01-14-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:12 AM
OrrwastheBeatles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Haha, great OP!

Every game he is making 2-3 noticeable plays in his own end where he is breaking up plays and creating turnovers. He is playing an overall very smart game with a high hockey IQ and helping to generate offence from our backend when he is out there almost every shift it seems like.
This ^

He is noticable on virtually every shift he is on the ice - how often can you say that about a defenseman (in a good way)?

Obviously we don't want to get ahead of ourselves here, but so far so good. Keep it up!

OrrwastheBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:38 AM
mustange70

I'm surprised no one has mention the parise hit then the resulting comments from parise in their local paper (ie he was pissed he got leveled), Brodie hasn't even made it a full half season and he's pissing off number one players .

Best part of Brodie is he can be out against any of the top lines and you're not worrying about it, because he can keep up and most time out skate & out work those players, and his size has yet to be harmful to his play, as he plays as a guy about 6" taller and 50lbs heavier then what he is (that might be an overstatement but you get my point), as he isn't getting pushed around on the ice.

mustange70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:57 AM
Backlund

vCash: 1263
One of the few bright spots on ouf defense. Hopefully in a few years he can be a regular top 4 dman.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:54 AM
Medium Rare*

I will eat some crow too, because he has been much better than I expected and has really stepped it up. But let's not get too far ahead ourselves either, it is still only 33 career games.

I was wrong in saying he would never be a top 4 defenseman, because he has shown the potential is there. But I want to see him sustain this over a season or 2 before I crown him anything.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 03:41 AM
Banner

I absolutely love this guy. Back one season ago in training camp was the first time I saw him play, and he has the heart of a true player. Every shift he tries to make a difference.

This season he's shown he has offensive and defensive upside, and has shown a really high hockey IQ. I'll remember the play against the Wild where we were down one goal, and he lost his stick at the point but kept the play alive by passing the puck with his skate.. I was just stunned by that. I also was at the NJ game where he knocked Parise on his wallet at the defensive end.

This guy has a future with the flames, no doubt about it. I see him sort of similar to a younger Giordano.

All this, and he managed to stay at an even +/- rating at that 0-9 B's game despite leading the team with 25 minutes.

Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:27 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
I will eat some crow too, because he has been much better than I expected and has really stepped it up. But let's not get too far ahead ourselves either, it is still only 33 career games.

I was wrong in saying he would never be a top 4 defenseman, because he has shown the potential is there. But I want to see him sustain this over a season or 2 before I crown him anything.
I just don't want Brodie to become another Subban. I just want Brodie to continue to play a supporting role for now, rather than the go to guy. At least until after his softmore season, and until he knows how to play well consistently over a season.

By my god is his ceiling high. I too will go out on a limb and say he'll be a top 4 defensemen one day upon proper ice time and mentoring.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:49 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shot View Post
I absolutely love this guy. Back one season ago in training camp was the first time I saw him play, and he has the heart of a true player. Every shift he tries to make a difference.

This season he's shown he has offensive and defensive upside, and has shown a really high hockey IQ. I'll remember the play against the Wild where we were down one goal, and he lost his stick at the point but kept the play alive by passing the puck with his skate.. I was just stunned by that. I also was at the NJ game where he knocked Parise on his wallet at the defensive end.

This guy has a future with the flames, no doubt about it. I see him sort of similar to a younger Giordano.

All this, and he managed to stay at an even +/- rating at that 0-9 B's game despite leading the team with 25 minutes.
Yep, this has been one of the most impressive things he has done so far.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Noori

vCash: 763
Already a 4-5 defensemen and he just shows signing of improving game in and game out.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:18 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post

You are right, no one should crown anything for him yet. But from a pure potential standpoint, I think he has all the tools to be better than Gio at pretty much all aspects of the game except hitting. He just makes things look easy at times and plays such a smart game. Is he there yet, no. Could he be there in 2 seasons, absolutely I think. Hopefully his development and strong work ethic continue, because he needs to play harder than anyone on the ice to makeup for his size.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 01:25 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

The core defense of Bouwmeester, Giordano, and Brodie going forward looks pretty good. Supplement that with Ramage, Leach, Wotherspoon, Breen and Smith and there is still some hope for a very solid blueline. Add a top four blueliner through free agency and the team is in really good shape on the backend.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
The core defense of Bouwmeester, Giordano, and Brodie going forward looks pretty good. Supplement that with Ramage, Leach, Wotherspoon, Breen and Smith and there is still some hope for a very solid blueline. Add a top four blueliner through free agency and the team is in really good shape on the backend.
Biggest thing that Feaster could realistically do in the offseason. Would love to get Brad Stuart or Tim Gleason but chances are that they'll stay with their respective teams.

I see you've counted out Babchuk. Expecting him to be moved or not worth keeping on the team? I imagine that even as a number 6 with Smith, that would be a decent pairing.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 04:15 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
Biggest thing that Feaster could realistically do in the offseason. Would love to get Brad Stuart or Tim Gleason but chances are that they'll stay with their respective teams.

I see you've counted out Babchuk. Expecting him to be moved or not worth keeping on the team? I imagine that even as a number 6 with Smith, that would be a decent pairing.
A Smith Babchuk pairing actually sounds really good.

Bouw-Gio
Hannan-Brodie
Smith-Babchuk
Butler

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Northern Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
Not to mention depending where CGY drafts in June, there's a lot of good future D-men in the rankings.

Northern Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:56 PM
ska8ter8808

Bruins fan who actually noticed this kid in our big win over you guys. Seemed to have a lot of poise for a young kid whos team was getting killed.

Do you think he can be a #3 type d-man long-term? I am trying to think of who he reminds me of (a vet) but can't seem to think of anyone. Who do you guys think he compares to long-term?

ska8ter8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:33 PM
StreakingRed
"Yeeeaaah Baby!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska8ter8808 View Post
Bruins fan who actually noticed this kid in our big win over you guys. Seemed to have a lot of poise for a young kid whos team was getting killed.

The fact that he ended that game even is a miracle on its own, lol.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:07 PM
Signature
Unsustainable™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska8ter8808 View Post

Do you think he can be a #3 type d-man long-term? I am trying to think of who he reminds me of (a vet) but can't seem to think of anyone. Who do you guys think he compares to long-term?
Ideally Duncan Keith but not as high a ceiling. He has the same style though... Brodie is most likely a great second pairing defenceman if his development continues in a positive manner.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:14 AM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

I thought he looked pretty damn good tonight as well.