HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Kings GM Lombardi confirms talks with Gauthier

Old
01-30-2012, 05:25 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
How do you know he didn't shop Halak? Do you have his phone bugged?

The Kaberle trade we won by 3 miles. Right now Kaberle doesn't even take any cap room with Markov on LITR and once he comes back Kaberle has a lot more value than in November so he can be moved for young assets.
I take it back. He can be very useful running the #2 unit and on the third pairing. But he gets outworked by energy and third liners in his own end, which is scary. He was decent in the playoffs tho once he settled down. But that's on a tough Bruins team.

It was widely speculated by "reliable" media that Halak was not shopped. Many GM's said this.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 01-30-2012 at 05:34 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:32 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
He is elite in the sense of a two-way centerman. Plekanec is more or less on par with other centers such as Pavelski, Bergeron, or Kesler.
Yup, we still need that #1 center, a Thornton or a Sedin in front of those elite #2 centres to have a great 1-2 punch.

And I still dream of Grigorenko being that guy some day...

pine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:32 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Once again I read in this thread that Gauthier didn't shop Halak. Can we stop with this myth

Bob McKenzie said this when the trade went down

TSNBobMcKenzie

from his twitter

Also Kevin Allen from USA today said Gauthier also contacted Dudley of Atlanta during the Halak trade.

http://www.usatoday.com/community/pr...199720956b03f0

So please can we stop this myth that Halak wasn't shopped.
You need to make a list of journalists/reporters who are worthy of belief after seeing the threads wanting to protest and boycott certain other sports writers.

What is the criteria for credibility? If they portray Gauthier in a positive light?

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:36 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
PK alone is worth more than Richards...
He may (MAY) be more valuable in the eyes of some, but Richards is a fantastic player who does everything well. The Kings are different when he's healthy. Plus he would allow us to move Pleky to the second line, where he would thrive.

I would be tempted to do the deal. Players like that don't grow on trees. Richards is only 26 and can easily play the #1 center role.

Subban will probably be a #1 Dman one day too tho.

Really not much else on the Kings that I'd be interested in (and that the Kings would be willing to move). And they probably wouldn't move Richards for Subban either. They already have Doughty playing that role with Johnson providing offense as well.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 01-30-2012 at 05:41 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:37 PM
Boardish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
What is the criteria for credibility? If they portray Gauthier in a positive light?
You have so much hatred inside you. It can't be good for your health.

It blows my mind.

Boardish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 06:13 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardish View Post
You have so much hatred inside you. It can't be good for your health.

It blows my mind.
He is so desperate for anything, grasping at straws and trying to cobble something together to rip on PG. He and others even go so far as to try and blame gaineys moves on PG, they have it in their mind he is awful and that is all they see. It wouldn't so sad if there was something there but PG has done a rather good job of acquiring picks/UFA's to build around. I think in a season or two when we are back on top most of these guys will have changed their names or disappeared.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 06:19 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
You need to make a list of journalists/reporters who are worthy of belief after seeing the threads wanting to protest and boycott certain other sports writers.

usually its the ones that don't make assumptions that gain credibility. Bobby Mac won't make assumptions, and if he does, he makes it clear.

Bolded part is pretty much assumptions made to generate reactions, like a true sensationalist writer!

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 06:26 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:

One other team still doesn't prove he was shopped. I tend to side with everyone who says he wasn't, but I like the return, he's done worse than trade for Lars Eller imo.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
One other team still doesn't prove he was shopped. I tend to side with everyone who says he wasn't, but I like the return, he's done worse than trade for Lars Eller imo.
If 90% of Habs fans could figure out that one of montreal's 2 goalies might be available after the 2010 season; I'm pretty sure NHL GMs figured it out too.

If they liked Halak, and they didn't call Gauthier to see if he might be available, they weren't doing their job.

I have no doubt in my mind that teams had every opportunity to make their pitches for Halak.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:32 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

No dude, it's always Gauthier's fault not any other GM, ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
If 90% of Habs fans could figure out that one of montreal's 2 goalies might be available after the 2010 season; I'm pretty sure NHL GMs figured it out too.

If they liked Halak, and they didn't call Gauthier to see if he might be available, they weren't doing their job.

I have no doubt in my mind that teams had every opportunity to make their pitches for Halak.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:34 PM
Andy

Quote:
It wasn't one other team. It was minimum 4 and these teams weren't just kicking tires, as McKenzie said they were "pitching hard" for Halak.

I think we all can agree that McKenzie's inside info is credible as well as Kevin Allen's sources considering all the trades he's reported first. Actually it was Kevin Allen that first reported that Halak was moved.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:36 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
usually its the ones that don't make assumptions that gain credibility. Bobby Mac won't make assumptions, and if he does, he makes it clear.

Bolded part is pretty much assumptions made to generate reactions, like a true sensationalist writer!
Plus, it's not even an assumption. Kevin Allen spoke with Dudley and McKenzie was telling us what he heard, which are not assumptions or speculations.

Old
01-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:

This man has spoken the truth.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:41 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
It wasn't one other team. It was minimum 4 and these teams weren't just kicking tires, as McKenzie said they were "pitching hard" for Halak.

I think we all can agree that McKenzie's inside info is credible as well as Kevin Allen's sources considering all the trades he's reported first. Actually it was Kevin Allen that first reported that Halak was moved.
Yeah maybe, I don't claim to know which is true here. I have heard enough credible reporters also claim he wasn't shopped outside of Mac, so who knows. I don't care much about it, because I love Eller. It's a foolish thing to attack Gauthier about imo. I like Halak too, and am glad he's bouncing back, I wanted to keep both, but we didn't and I love the return we got, exactly the low cost, high ceiling type of deals we should be making.

He reminds of a bigger Plekanecs with better puck handling/possession, we'll see if he can pass him in the future.

Old
01-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
No dude, it's always Gauthier's fault not any other GM, ever.
I don't think it was any GMs fault.

I think there are limited numbers of teams that need a #1 goalie in any given offseason.

I think PG probably talked to those teams, whether he called them, or they called him, I don't now... but McKenzie had at least 4 confirmed teams who were after Halak.

I think that Pierre McGuire was once fired by Gauthier in Ottawa and wanted the Montreal GM job when Gainey stepped down, but wasn't even considered for it. I think McGuire has a personal agenda against Gauthier and makes his feelings very transparent in his work, and I think this "Halak was not shopped" story originated with him.

Old
01-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Andy

Quote:
Yeah maybe, I don't claim to know which is true here. I have heard enough credible reporters also claim he wasn't shopped outside of Mac, so who knows. I don't care much about it, because I love Eller. It's a foolish thing to attack Gauthier about imo. I like Halak too, and am glad he's bouncing back, I wanted to keep both, but we didn't and I love the return we got, exactly the low cost, high ceiling type of deals we should be making.

He reminds of a bigger Plekanecs with better puck handling/possession, we'll see if he can pass him in the future.
What's pretty exciting about Eller is that he's on pace for 30 even-strength points this season while getting some pretty tough assignments.

Also, I've never heard of reporters not saying he was shopped. What they were saying was that the trade was "rushed" that they should have waited until the draft. It was only until the Cammalleri trade until people starting saying that he wasn't shopped.

Including St.Louis, that is 5 teams that Halak was being offered to or 5 teams that were making pitches.

Old
01-30-2012, 07:43 PM
habsjunkie2*

I don't think anyone here is in a position to know the truth, so lets agree to stop pretending. You can think whatever you want, but you don't know anything. lol

Old
01-30-2012, 07:45 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
What's pretty exciting about Eller is that he's on pace for 30 even-strength points this season while getting some pretty tough assignments.
I think he's going to be a beast and he's developing sooner than I thought. It was funny early in the season he'd have an empty net and miss, but it was the sheer excitement/nerves of wanting to do good, more than the lack of finish. I think he'll be good, he was just wanting to do well so so badly he got excited. He's a keeper imo.

Old
01-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Andy

Quote:
I don't think it was any GMs fault.

I think there are limited numbers of teams that need a #1 goalie in any given offseason.

I think PG probably talked to those teams, whether he called them, or they called him, I don't now... but McKenzie had at least 4 confirmed teams who were after Halak.

I think that Pierre McGuire was once fired by Gauthier in Ottawa and wanted the Montreal GM job when Gainey stepped down, but wasn't even considered for it. I think McGuire has a personal agenda against Gauthier and makes his feelings very transparent in his work, and I think this "Halak was not shopped" story originated with him.
McGuire's problem wasn't that Halak wasn't shopped. He said the problem was that Halak was traded too soon and that the habs should have waited until the draft.

Old
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
I don't think anyone here is in a position to know the truth, so lets agree to stop pretending. You can think whatever you want, but you don't know anything. lol
I am interested in which reporter(s) made statement about halak not being shopped, since you keep referring to them.
Just read McGuire. Anyone else?
Scratch that, seems andy just said what i remeber McGuire and Alot of reports saying at that time, that Halak was moved too soon. (doesn't mean he wasn't shopped)

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

I can assume a professional GM is doing his job. It's unfair for you haters to assume, speculate and bray about how he DIDN'T do his job.

Quote:

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Beakermania*

One thing I do know.

People have criticized Gauthier for the timing of the deal to trade Halak, which happened before the draft.

They claim he should have had an auction.

Well lets remember what happened that summer.

There were a ton of UFA goalies on the market. Biron signed as a backup. Chris Mason, Michael Leighton, Antero Nittymakki, Dan Ellis, Ray Emery, all signed for cheap. Jose Theodore became a cheap backup. The Hawks walked away from Niemi. Evgeni Nabokov went to Russia cause he couldn't find an NHL job. Turco waited all summer before signing with the Hawks when they let Niemi go. Cristobal Huet got sent to Switzerland.

What if Gauthier set up an auction and during the early days of July teams started to decide, they'd rather make sure and get the best UFA available, or the price is too high when they can get another goalie without trading away young players, and suddenly the market that was already limited dried up to one team, or worse no teams.

Then what would we have done?

Old
01-30-2012, 07:56 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
I am interested in which reporter(s) made statement about halak not being shopped, since you keep referring to them.
Just read McGuire. Anyone else?
Scratch that, seems andy just said what i remeber McGuire and Alot of reports saying at that time, that Halak was moved too soon. (doesn't mean he wasn't shopped)
I don't keep saying it. I said it once and was repeating what others have said, Elliot Friedman and the entire CBC crew said it just last week after the Bourque/Cammy trade though and it was not shopped that they spoke of not too fast.

I don't really care about the topic to be honest. I just find it funny that our hf boards insiders know the real truth when the media both suggested both scenarios and there were more that said he wasn't than those that said he was. In the end, I don't give a crap. I like what we got.

Old
01-30-2012, 07:57 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I can assume a professional GM is doing his job. It's unfair for you haters to assume, speculate and bray about how he DIDN'T do his job.
I think comprehension might be your problem. I said I don't know either way, nor do I care.

Old
01-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Forsead

Quote:

While I am not a huge fan.

The Quebec Nordiques where he spent 12 seasons from 1981 to 1993. He started out as a part-time scout before joining the scouting team on a full-time basis. In 1987, he was named Head Scout. Gauthier was responsible for drafting such outstanding players as Mats Sundin (1989), Owen Nolan (1990) and Eric Lindros (1991) at the NHL Entry Draft.

the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim during six seasons, serving as the team’s Assistant General Manager from 1993 to 1995.

As General Manager of the Ottawa Senators from 1995 to 1998, he led the club to its first winning record season, drafting the core of players, such as Marian Hossa and Chris Phillips, and making judicious trades, like obtaining defenseman Wade Redden, that would make the Senators a serious Cup contender. During his tenure with the Senators, 17 of the 24 players he selected in the Entry Draft made it to the NHL.

Following three seasons in the nation’s capital, Gauthier returned to the Mighty Ducks’ organization, first as President before adding the duties of General Manager to his responsibilities. He remained in Anaheim from 1998 to 2002. Under his leadership as many as 13 out of 24 players he drafted had a career in the National Hockey League. One year after his departure, the team he had spent four years building made it all the way to the Stanley Cup finals, losing a hard fought seven-game series against the New Jersey Devils.

Pierre Gauthier also made his mark on the international hockey scene. Along with Bob Gainey and Bobby Clarke, he was one of three NHL General Managers for Team Canada at the 1998 Winter Olympic Games in Nagano, Japan.

He was also Team Canada’s General Manager for the gold-medal winning team at the 1997 World Championships in Helsinki, Finland, as well as the silver-medal winning team at the 1996 World Championship played in Vienna and Salzburg, in Austria. More recently, Gauthier served as Assistant General Manager with the silver-medal winning Canadian team at the 2009 World Hockey Championships in Bern and Zurich, Switzerland.

Gauthier joined the Montreal Canadiens organization as Director of Professional Scouting on July 21, 2003. On July 24, 2006, he was named Assistant General Manager while keeping the responsibilities attached to Professional Scouting.

Pierre Gauthier was named General Manager and Executive Vice President of the Montreal Canadiens on February 8, 2010, taking over his longtime colleague and friend Bob Gainey. In the following months his team eliminated the conference leading Washington Capitals and then the defending Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins to reach the Eastern Conference Final.

All form Canadiens website. Still a solid resume. Would you think a guy with that experience don't how to trade guys. Alot of reporter are saying BS just to sell don't listen to them on all things.

Last edited by Forsead: 01-30-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote