HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

40th Anniversary of Summit Series in Moscow

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Yamaguchi*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
There were many penalties that should have been called that weren't. The Soviets were no saints.

Canada won and it was well deserved.
Well, it was a crucial referee mistake with just one minute to go in regulation when the teams were tied at 5.

I watched the Canada Cup back in 1987. Despite having Gretzky and Lemieux, Canada was no better team than the Soviets. Pretty even series. Canada had a home ice advantage (as always in the Canada Cups) and won only by a goal. If those two teams played in Europe, the Ruskies would have thrashed them.

Old
05-30-2012, 05:02 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaguchi View Post
Well, it was a crucial referee mistake with just one minute to go in regulation when the teams were tied at 5.

I watched the Canada Cup back in 1987. Despite having Gretzky and Lemieux, Canada was no better team than the Soviets. Pretty even series. Canada had a home ice advantage (as always in the Canada Cups) and won only by a goal.
If those two teams played in Europe, the Ruskies would have thrashed them.
Everything you wrote in Blue is fair and accurate - altho I thought it was a dive. Your last sentence is just speculation. Why was it necessary?

Last edited by OttawaRoughRiderFan: 05-30-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old
05-30-2012, 05:06 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Non Canadian posters seem to resent the fact that many big international tournaments are played in Canada. Please remember, this is not done to give Canada an advantage. Canada has this advantage because we are willing to pay far more for international hockey than any other country.
We should not be faulted for this.

If you were putting on an International tournament and wanted to maximize profits, you would be knocking on our door as well.

Last edited by OttawaRoughRiderFan: 05-30-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old
05-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Yamaguchi*

Quote:
Everything you wrote in Blue is fair and accurate altho I thought it was a dive. Your last sentence is just speculation - why was it necessary?
Because I think so.

Old
05-30-2012, 05:14 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaguchi View Post
because i think so.
I just feel it hurts your post and the argument you are trying to make.

Old
05-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Yamaguchi*

Quote:
I just feel it hurts your post and the argument you are trying to make.
No, it doesn't.

Old
05-30-2012, 05:22 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
No, it doesn't.
OK. You win, Yam.

Old
05-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Yamaguchi*

Quote:
OK. You win, Yam.
No way, don't give up too soon

Anyway, my pleasure. Have a lovely evening

Old
05-30-2012, 05:28 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
No way, don't give up too soon

Anyway, my pleasure. Have a lovely evening
U.2. buddy. And please stop dumping on Canadian hockey. Just say "Canada is the Best Hockey Nation EVER!!!" It will make you feel better.

Old
05-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Yamaguchi*

Quote:
U.2. buddy. And please stop dumping on Canadian hockey. Just say "Canada is the Best Hockey Nation EVER!!!" It will make you feel better.
So you need someone to reassure you? I'm afraid you're showing signs of doubt.

Old
05-30-2012, 05:39 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
So you need someone to reassure you? I'm afraid you're showing signs of doubt.
No. Just thought it would make you feel better.

Old
05-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Yamaguchi*

Quote:
No. Just thought it would make you feel better.
I'm feeling great. Although I'm not sure which hockey nation is the best ever. But Canada is definitely in top 10

Old
05-30-2012, 05:48 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
I'm feeling great. Although I'm not sure which hockey nation is the best ever. But Canada is definitely in top 10
You mean "Top 1". You added a "0" in error.

Old
05-30-2012, 05:49 PM
canuck2010

Quote:
Non Canadian posters seem to resent the fact that many big international tournaments are played in Canada. Please remember, this is not done to give Canada an advantage. Canada has this advantage because we are willing to pay far more for international hockey than any other country.

If you were putting on an International tournament and wanted to maximize profits, you would be knocking on our door as well.
You think Rene Fasel wants to eat Kraft Diner every night. The IIHF is all about making money. That's why the WJC is in Canada every second year.

Old
05-30-2012, 05:55 PM
canuck2010

Quote:

I watched the Canada Cup back in 1987. Despite having Gretzky and Lemieux, Canada was no better team than the Soviets. Pretty even series. Canada had a home ice advantage (as always in the Canada Cups) and won only by a goal. If those two teams played in Europe, the Ruskies would have thrashed them.
Gee if we had only played on big ice. The refs were terrible. The Canadians were dirty. Alan Eagleson wouldn't give us the trophy anyway. We sent our B Team in 1976. You sound like a Canadian.

Old
05-30-2012, 05:56 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post
You think Rene Fasel wants to eat Kraft Diner every night. The IIHF is all about making money. That's why the WJC is in Canada every second year.
Not just the WJR's. World Cups as well.

In 2004, I took my dad to the Canada-Russia round robin game. I paid $500 for the pair of tickets. What other country would pay that kind of money for a game? That is why we host the WJR's and the World Cups. Again, we should not be faulted for it. If other countries want to host these events and have "home ice advantage", open your wallets as wide as Canadians. Until you do, don't hate.

Old
05-30-2012, 05:57 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
You sound like a Canadian.
??? All fans make excuses. Not just Canadians.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:02 AM
Rocket Richard
Proud SENS Fan!!!!!

Bottom line is we proved we were better in '72 and now all countries have improved since they started playing "our hockey".

We learned a lot, playing the Soviets, and they learned from us.

Now they play in the NHL, and they start in the Juniors learning "our way".

I'm glad we have competition now!

Old
05-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
I have to agree with you on that one. It shouldn't have anything to do with making money - its an international hockey tournament, not a private equity venture. But that is the way Fasel has operated. Its a huge advantage for Canada, even if they haven't been able to take advantage of it in the past few years. At the same time, its a huge disadvantage for Russia, because the Canadian crowds hate the Russians, and crowds sway referees. Some European countries have complained, so we will see if it lasts.

Old
05-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Richard View Post
Bottom line is we proved we were better in '72 and now all countries have improved since they started playing "our hockey".

In the '90's and early 21st Century, the NHL was the only alternative to make big money for talented players. Now, other options exist, and fewer Russian players (a lot fewer) are coming to NA to play in the NHL.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:36 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
I have to agree with you on that one. It shouldn't have anything to do with making money - its an international hockey tournament, not a private equity venture. But that is the way Fasel has operated. Its a huge advantage for Canada, even if they haven't been able to take advantage of it in the past few years. At the same time, its a huge disadvantage for Russia, because the Canadian crowds hate the Russians, and crowds sway referees. Some European countries have complained, so we will see if it lasts.
The home team advantage comes from the rules advantage given the home team, such as last change, last stick down in the faceoff, etc.
In international tournaments the team hosting the tournament does not get to be the "home" team in terms of the rules advantage any more than any other team. Statistics show that the host team in international tournaments are actually at a slight disadvantage and do worse than they would if they were playing outside of their country.

It seems odd but hosting more often has actually worked against Canada.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:34 PM
Zine

Quote:

As it pertains to non-IIHF events, its not so much a resentment about location, but rather a resentment over a lack of international oversight and authority.

A tournament's legitimacy will always (and should) be questioned when federations aren't given input into how a tourney is organized, structured and/or run.
This is certainly the case with Canada Cup (organized and run by a convicted criminal) and the World Cup (NHL).

I don't think many people take issue with the WJC always being held in Canada......and, frankly, it should be held there because:
1. its still an IIHF event (i.e. all federations have a say)
2. no other country cares to regularly host it.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:16 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
If those two teams played in Europe, the Ruskies would have thrashed them.
4 months earlier at the World Championships (on European ice), this same Soviet team played 2 games against a Canadian team that had only 4 players good enough for the Canada Cup. They thrashed them by the scores of 3-2 & 0-0.

Old
05-31-2012, 07:05 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Richard View Post

Slim proof indeed! Eight game series, Canada wins only 4 of 8 games, final scoring tally: Canada 32 goals - Soviet Union 32 goals.

For a while, the NHL was the only place you could get lifetime financial security. Now there are other options. A few good juniors have come over, but with the advent of the MHL, it will be interesting to see how long that lasts.

Old
05-31-2012, 07:14 PM
canuck2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Not so sure of that. It depends who the Russians play. I went to the World Cup game between the Russia and the USA in Ottawa. The crowd was definitely pro Russian. Brett Hull was booed mercilessly

Closed Thread