HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Lindros - Edmonton Journal

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2004, 01:08 PM
PunjabiOil*

vCash: 500
Eric Lindros - Edmonton Journal

Not subscribed to the Journal, but looking at the online page, there's an article discussing whether the Oilers should go after Lindros....

Anyone who is subscribed provide some insight into this?

Old
10-17-2004, 01:15 PM
gretzky2kurri

He says Edmonton would be a better fit so 88 could get out of the fishbowl.

Like he wouldn't be scrutinized here?

Florida would be a better fit.

Old
10-17-2004, 01:28 PM
Nielson81

Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
If Eric Lindros wants to get out of the spotlight the one place he should not go is here in Edmonton.

I still feel Lindros has some good years left in him and while he is a good fit in Edmonton it just would not work.

Old
10-17-2004, 01:45 PM
hockeyaddict101

It mentions Edmonton has very limited interest

Lindros would have to approach the Oilers according to the article. Matheson seems to be on a get Lindros crusade.

Old
10-17-2004, 01:48 PM
Bergeron47

The more I ponder the idea, the more I like it. Sure, why not have him here? He's already got chemistry with York in New York, and Smyth on Team Canada..

Smyth-Lindros-York
Torres-Stoll/Horcoff-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Isbister/Rita-Stoll/Horcoff-Laraque/Hemsky

Old
10-17-2004, 01:54 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47
The more I ponder the idea, the more I like it. Sure, why not have him here? He's already got chemistry with York in New York, and Smyth on Team Canada..
Am I the only person that didn't feel Lindros played very well with Smyth at the Olympics? I personally wasn't all that impressed... he certainly does have great chemistry with York though.

Old
hunter1909*

just pay the stiff on a pay per play basis...

no guarantees...

make it for 2 or 3 seasons...

so long as it fits like nedved on the oilers OK...

otherwise, let the big baby go to florida

Old
hunter1909*

if lindros had any brains he would call the oilers but hes always been a big mamas boy so lets stop kidding ourselves...

lindros hasnt got the belly for oilertown

Old
10-17-2004, 02:25 PM
thistle

Matty also notes that Weiss is someone Lowe is still keeping his eye on. In the article a possibility of a trade at a later date is mentioned. Weiss's name may have come up in the article soley because San Antonio is in town soon to play the Runners.

Old
10-17-2004, 02:43 PM
Shizuka

I'd have to agree with a few of the other posters here in saying that I am skeptical of a Lindros fit in the lineup. He is injury prone, and even at a reduced pay rate I have to wonder whether it would be the wisest investment of $2 - 3 million (would that even garner a sniff from him or his agent?). Edmonton fans seem to be much less forgiving than in previous years, and that is compounded by the ill feelings resulting from the lockout. To be fair, *any* centre signed to be our #1 guy is going to be saddled with high expectations and subject to tough fan scrutiny; I just don't think Lindros will respond / react well to a situation like that. He would be better served signing elsewhere.

Incidentally, Jim Matheson's article also indicates that Lowe is looking at pursuing a younger centre (Matheson specifically cites Stephen Weiss, whose San Antonio team will be here Monday to play the RRs) as another avenue for shoring up the middle. This probably isn't suprising or new to most of you, but I still prefer that idea to the Lindros one. Good luck prying Weiss away from Florida at a reasonable price, however... Keenan is quite high on him.

*Edited* Oops, Thistle beat me to it, my apologies.

Old
10-17-2004, 02:56 PM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka
Incidentally, Jim Matheson's article also indicates that Lowe is looking at pursuing a younger centre (Matheson specifically cites Stephen Weiss, whose San Antonio team will be here Monday to play the RRs) as another avenue for shoring up the middle. This probably isn't suprising or new to most of you, but I still prefer that idea to the Lindros one. Good luck prying Weiss away from Florida at a reasonable price, however... Keenan is quite high on him.
You really have to wonder if acquiring a younger centreman would be either in the best interest of the team or be the best use of our assets.

Weiss will cost us something; and damn good at that (likely Semenov or Woywitka +++). With Niinimaki, Schremp, Brodziak, and Pouliot, along with a young Stoll in the organization, is acquiring another young guy really what this team needs? Especially at the cost it will take to acquire.

Second, ignoring the asset cost, is Weiss (or any other young centre for that matter) really what the Oilers need? I would say no. I would rather see the Oilers spend a little dough (or do it via trade) on an older guy (no, not Oates ) like (cough cough) Nedved. With such a young team, I think we need the experience and consistency a vetran brings to the table (especially when he's on your first line).

On the complete flipside, Weiss is such a good player, he just might be worth acquiring. FLA needs wingers and/or D-men; both of which we've got too many of. If we were to go this way, my guess the trade would look something like:
To EDM: Weiss
To FLA: Torres, pick (2nd or 3rd ish)

Who knows though.

Old
10-17-2004, 03:03 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

If I'm getting Lindros, it'd better be for cheap and it'd better be as my 2nd line guy. At first since we've chosen the route we have we need a guy who's 24-27 years old and not an injury case or anything of the sort.

Old
10-17-2004, 03:32 PM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear
Second, ignoring the asset cost, is Weiss (or any other young centre for that matter) really what the Oilers need? I would say no. I would rather see the Oilers spend a little dough (or do it via trade) on an older guy (no, not Oates ) like (cough cough) Nedved. With such a young team, I think we need the experience and consistency a vetran brings to the table (especially when he's on your first line).
I'm not averse to getting a veteran centre, and it would probably be the more pragmatic move. Young, big, affordable, offensive-minded centres are not readily available for Lowe to make a deal for. I just don't like the idea of bringing Lindros aboard, specifically. Setting aside the ego and off-ice stuff, his injury history is lengthy and troubling. It would appear his production has fallen off as well, but that is tied into his declining physical play; he just cannot keep up that reckless style if he wants to extend his career. You have to wonder if he has the adaptability to maintain solid point totals while toning down the physical side of his game. I mean, isn't that what made him so great in the first place?

Perhaps it would work as a single season signing. I really don't see him being as effective without that aggressive physical dimension however.

Old
10-17-2004, 06:10 PM
krooky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Am I the only person that didn't feel Lindros played very well with Smyth at the Olympics? I personally wasn't all that impressed... he certainly does have great chemistry with York though.

You're absolutely right. Lindros and Smyth were both junk at the Olympics. Him and York could work again though.

Old
10-17-2004, 06:13 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd love to see lindros in Oiler silks. Even if he doesn't play physical all the time, he still has the skill to put up numbers. I also think he would probably benefit from being in the western conference. I wouldn't wnt to be paying him big time money, but it'd be nice to have the E-train in E-town.

Old
10-17-2004, 06:15 PM
Bring Back Bucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd love to see lindros in Oiler silks. Even if he doesn't play physical all the time, he still has the skill to put up numbers. I also think he would probably benefit from being in the western conference. I wouldn't wnt to be paying him big time money, but it'd be nice to have the E-train in E-town.
Deep inside, I think we would all love a big name like Big E in town, cause things just never seem to work out like that for us. He's got more upside than Nedved did....

Old
10-17-2004, 06:23 PM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
Maybe the time off will do Big E good. I bet if we were to get him he would become one of those players we all love at first and eventually all love to hate.

Old
10-17-2004, 06:29 PM
oildrop

If Lindros could find a way to stay healthy then he would be a really good UFA pick-up. But what's all this talk about having Lindros and York play together? Sure they do have chemistry of some sort but that just takes us back to square one...no legit 1-2 punch down the middle. We need a no.1 Centreman and if York goes to the wing then we lose our no.2 Centreman. I certainly don't wanna be seeing Horcoff get that spot, he isn't Top 6 material. I highly doubt they would stick Harvey out there at the no.2 Centre position either. We need solid Centreman for those top 2 lines or we can kiss the playoffs good-bye again.

Old
10-17-2004, 06:39 PM
Lowetide

At this point Lindros is not a player you can count on imo. Even if he came here and improved the powerplay, he's one hit away from ending his season or his career.

Not someone you can count on.

Old
10-17-2004, 06:43 PM
Bring Back Bucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
If Lindros could find a way to stay healthy then he would be a really good UFA pick-up. But what's all this talk about having Lindros and York play together? Sure they do have chemistry of some sort but that just takes us back to square one...no legit 1-2 punch down the middle. We need a no.1 Centreman and if York goes to the wing then we lose our no.2 Centreman. I certainly don't wanna be seeing Horcoff get that spot, he isn't Top 6 material. I highly doubt they would stick Harvey out there at the no.2 Centre position either. We need solid Centreman for those top 2 lines or we can kiss the playoffs good-bye again.

I'm afraid that if he could find a way to stay healthy, the idea of him as a potential Oilers UFA pickup wouldn't even merit a thread!! (At least not during the recently expired cba)

Old
10-17-2004, 06:51 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Bucky
I'm afraid that if he could find a way to stay healthy, the idea of him as a potential Oilers UFA pickup wouldn't even merit a thread!! (At least not during the recently expired cba)
This talk about Lindros is all hypothetical, nothing more.

Old
10-17-2004, 06:53 PM
Bring Back Bucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
This talk about Lindros is all hypothetical, nothing more.
Yeah, I got that..

However, I think some posters believe it is a legitimate (if longshot) possibility. And remember, the guy might want to play someplace, and demand has probably never been lower for 'ol softhead. I wasn't trying to be snide, just pointing out that it is amazing to think that it could be within the realm of imagination that Lindros could be an Oiler. Who knows what the new world of the NHL will look like? If it's like the old one, the Oilers might just not continue to be in it, so I would prefer to imagine things would be more like 1985.

Last edited by Bring Back Bucky: 10-17-2004 at 07:00 PM.
Old
10-17-2004, 07:10 PM
Mr Sakich

Lindros is the perfect short term fix for the Oilers. Unfortunately, the Chuck isn't quite enough bright lights / big city enough for him. He will never be an oiler.

Old
10-17-2004, 08:18 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Lindros would be under so much presure in Oilerville that he would get a concussion just from waking upo in the morning

Old
10-17-2004, 10:35 PM
Matts

health concerns, health concerns

health concerns.

Can he be as effective as we need him to be if he decides to play in a creampuff manner? Will he sign an incentive laden GP based contract because that's the only way the Oilers can afford him?

And finally how many other offers will he get and from whom because the Oilers really can't offer him anything more than a fresh start and lots of icetime. That mean mean a lot to us but it leaves out things player normally gravitate towards like money and the chance to actually make the playoffs

Though I guess Lindros is using to not playing past the first week of April given his recent tenure with the Rags

Closed Thread