HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Aleksander Suglobov

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2004, 01:57 PM
eliasISawesome

vCash: 500
Aleksander Suglobov

Ive never seen him play, but is he anything like Alexander Mogilny?

Mogilny was probably the most talented player in NHL history JMHO. He could start stop on a dime, also my favorite player.

Old
10-17-2004, 02:43 PM
pooler99

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliasISawesome

Mogilny was probably the most talented player in NHL history JMHO. He could start stop on a dime, also my favorite player.
Sorry not to answer but i was just about to start a thread on him. My question is: noticed that he is playing with Parise so, is he that good or is Parise make him look good ?

Old
10-17-2004, 03:09 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooler99
Sorry not to answer but i was just about to start a thread on him. My question is: noticed that he is playing with Parise so, is he that good or is Parise make him look good ?
He isn't on a line with Parise. Parise plays with Pihlman and Pikkarainen. Suglobov plays with Khomuotv and Voros. Parise and Suglobov are on the same PP unit. Thats about it.

Old
10-17-2004, 03:11 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:

I don't think Suglobov plays like Mogilny. I allways thought he played something like Samsonov.

Old
10-17-2004, 03:41 PM
MattNJD

Send a message via AIM to MattNJD
Quote:

I've only ever seen him play once and it was during last years pre-season vs. Philly Phantoms. He had a hat trick so I was more than impressed. I wouldn't say he is a Mogilny clone, but he does have the same razzle dazzle in terms of speed and being creative with the puck. He's pretty deadly on breakaways. I hope to see him in the NHL very soon!!

Old
10-17-2004, 07:59 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNJD
I've only ever seen him play once and it was during last years pre-season vs. Philly Phantoms. He had a hat trick so I was more than impressed. I wouldn't say he is a Mogilny clone, but he does have the same razzle dazzle in terms of speed and being creative with the puck. He's pretty deadly on breakaways. I hope to see him in the NHL very soon!!
I think he's our replacement for Jeff Friesen in the near future.... kid has skill.

Old
10-17-2004, 09:50 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil
I think he's our replacement for Jeff Friesen in the near future.... kid has skill.
If you're better than someone, are you considered a replacement? I've always wondered that. Lets say we didn't have Brodeur, and we had.........Dunham, but then we acquired Brodeur in a trade, would Brodeur still be called a replacement?

Old
10-17-2004, 09:57 PM
NJDraft

Almo is one of the most talented players to ever take the ice in the NHL. I'd say he's prob. played at about 75% of his potential productivity because like a lot of Euros he has issues. He's a great skater, great wrist shot, can make a nice pass when he needs to, is strong, and can do almost anything he wants to do.
He also can play passively, with questionable motvation, and doesn't make the big shot. [Like the clean breakaway in '00 game 5, went for a 25 ft wrist shot insted of a deek]
Alek is a talented kid who was never given much of a chance last season because Burns was concerned about his lack of patience to play positional hockey. Like most talented Euros he needs to forget about possesion hockey and shoot the puck quickly when he has the chance. If he had 50% of Almo's ability I'd be thrilled. If he even comes close to Samsonov, we'd all be happy.

Old
10-17-2004, 10:16 PM
OFSY34

Suggy makes it look so easy. I can't coun't how many times in a game he goes from end to end dropping d men like flies with his dangles. If he stays injury free he will have an unreal year. He is as good as any of the other great young Russian players, he just hasn't been able to put an entire solid season together in the pro's.

Old
10-18-2004, 03:32 PM
Buya89

I hope suglobov will replace some magic Almo brought to this club.

I WANT ALMO BACK

and so does gomez

Old
10-18-2004, 07:30 PM
Strong Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buya89
and so does gomez
I am sure Gomez doesn't "mind" playing between Elias and Gionta.

Old
10-18-2004, 08:01 PM
NJDraft

I not rewriting what Pat was quoted as saying . I know Alek was hurt but Burns, who prob. wasn't going to say much about any rookie, didn't seem to tbe to high on his game. That didn't surprise me or likely anybody else. He was trying to stay in 1st place with a D oriented team. He didn't want a mistake from a rookie and that's understandable. But at some point you have to go for it and accept some mistakes from your young players. Hopefully Al has a great year for the Rats.

Old
10-19-2004, 12:52 AM
NJDraft

I'm not "hammering" Pat:[who I hope is feeling as good as possible by the way,during this tough time] I distinctly remember a quote from him on Alek. He didn't knock the rook, but it wasn't positive. Maybe he made it before he knew of his physical status.

Old
10-19-2004, 01:06 AM
Russian_fanatic

Quote:

Aleksander like Mogilny? Ummm... no?

Old
10-19-2004, 02:00 AM
David Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise = The Future
I don't think Burns even commented on Suglobov. No one had a chance to hurt or evaluate what he could do at the pro level considering he was injured right out of the starting gates in one of his earliest shifts with the New Jersey Devils. Look at his ice time. It was just over 8 minutes which translates into 8 60-second shifts. He never completed his first game with the Devils NDPEXP!
Actually, I went back and watched the game. Aleksander Suglobov was taken down on his second shift at the 4:57 mark of the 1st Period by Marc-Andre Bergeron. However, Suglobov looked pretty good in the 2nd and 3rd periods when he was on the ice.

At 11:17 of the 3rd Period, Igor Larionov fed Suglobov a nice pass into the slot. Suglobov let a hard wrist shot go that went off of the left-side of Tommy Salo's chest. The puck trickled into the crease, but Ulanov cleared it before Sergei Brylin could put it in the vacated goal. It was a nice shot that almost found enough room under Salo's arm to go in.

Suglobov moved the puck around well while playing on a line with fellow Russians Igor Larionov and Sergei Brylin. He also seemed pretty competent in the defensive zone, covering the high-slot and point.

Suglovob skated four shifts in the 1st Period, two in the 2nd Period and three in the 3rd Period. He had one shot-on-goal in the 2nd and one in the 3rd.

Doc Emrick also commented about Suglobov's willingness to push-back when the Oilers were trying to push the rookie around.

Closed Thread