HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Wristshot help?

Old
08-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Blueland89

vCash: 500
Wristshot help?

Hey guys i've been doing a lot of work with my Wrist shot lately and about 30% to 40% of the time i catch my self trying to get my power from my shot from my arms and it doesn't nothing but send my puck bouncing all over the concrete i don't have this problem when i use a ball but i've bought a shooting pad and some pucks and it is a lot different atleast for me. is there a drill or way to make sure that i'm getting my shot power from my core and using the right motions and posture with my shot? Thanks

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

In my opinion, the wrist shot is mostly about arm and wrist strength. Using your core and the flex of the stick is a factor, but the more you get into that, the more it becomes a snap shot.

This is the basic motion:

If you combine that with forward momentum and a wrist flick at the end, there's your wrist shot.

Here's another video:

But the problem is, you're not going to get a lot of power, and you're not going to get a quick release. Bringing the stick from behind the body towards the target and rolling the puck from heel to toe gives the goalie a ton of time to make the save.

That's why most players at a high level use the snap shot, which involves leaning into the stick and snapping the puck towards the net in one quick motion. There's no large windup and the puck is always in the release point.

There's not a great video I can remember, but here's an NHL'er and all his shots are snappers:

I'd like to make a video comparing them, but my girlfriend left "our" camcorder at her work, so I'm without for the time being.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Blueland89

Thanks a lot for the help. I've also been bringing the puck from way behind me is that wrong? sorry your videos aren't showing on my computer prolly cause i'm at work and they won't let them come up or something sorry

Old
08-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For a wrist shot no. But like I said, it's kind of a gateway shot you learn and when you get the technique down and some strength, you can learn a snap shot and probably never take a wrister again.

Old
08-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Jarick - Great Video's! Thank you for sharing these.

Head coach

08-13-2010, 12:37 PM
bendham15

accuracy wise i think its best to shoot quickly with the puck moving from heel to toe. was taught that at camp 10 years ago and it seems to have worked for me all along. i've tried so many other methods, none worked at as well.

bendham15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Islander102

Legs. You need your weight to transfer from your back leg onto your shot. If youre stationary it is about putting your strong leg further from the goal, like a baseball swing, and pushing the momentum forwards. If you are in motion, you have your strong leg ahead, and lift up your back leg, forcing the weight and momentum to transfer onto your strong leg, and on to your shot. This is the most important thing to get down pat. It may lead to a slow release, but once you get it down pat, you can work on transferring the weight quicker, and quicker, and quicker. But you have to transfer the weight from your legs first, or no matter what you do with your arms, you are never going to get a powerful shot. Start with the basics (getting your legs into the shot), and then work on getting that transfer done quicker.

Look at Gaborik or Kovalchuk, who IMO have the two best shots among FWs in the league. See how quick they get it off, it would lead you to think its all wrists and arms, but look at their legs when they shoot. Theyre transferring their leg weight in a nanosecond. In order to be able to do that, you have to get your weight transfer down pat first. I am the lightest weighing, but hardest shooting player on my team because I (out of necessity from not being the bulkiest guy on the ice) get my legs into every shot I take. The weakest players legs are generally stronger than the strongest players arms, so its imperative that everyone knows how to use them properly.

That isnt for just the shot too. IF you know how to get the most out of your legs, which most players playing beer league dont, you will be able to out muscle bigger and stronger players in front of the net and along the boards, who dont have the right technique.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Blueland89

talking about the weight transfer I playued baseball all year around when I was a kid like 10 months out of the year league baseball and I have good base ball swing. When I shoout and I transfer my weight should i be leading with my shoulder?

Old
08-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendham15 View Post
accuracy wise i think its best to shoot quickly with the puck moving from heel to toe.
This is true! The reason for moving heel to toe (try it) you will see the the puck will turn or spin when it goes from heel to toe. This cause a gyro effect on the puck causing the puck to fly straight and flat.

Think of it like this. If you have a bike tire spinning in your hands, if you try and tilt the bike tire from vertical to horizontal...you can't. This is do to the gyro effect in the spinning of the wheel. Same thing goes for the puck. If you see a puck wobble in flight, it because their is no spin on the puck.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueland89 View Post
talking about the weight transfer I playued baseball all year around when I was a kid like 10 months out of the year league baseball and I have good base ball swing. When I shoout and I transfer my weight should i be leading with my shoulder?
Yeah, but you will want to drive your shoulder downwards into your shot. In baseball you want to try and keep it level, but the general motion is the same. First you want to drive your legs, and then use the momentum to drive your shoulder into the shot. Once you get that down pat, you work on the specifics with the wrist and arm motions, but you need to have the foundation from your legs down pat first.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 02:32 PM
HowToHockey

This video shows how to take a wrist shot from your off foot, but also addresses a few ways to get more power

This one shows the most powerful method of shooting and is to the point

This one goes into detail about the two types of wrist shots, and why you should learn both

Wrist shot power comes from
  1. Legs - push with your legs to transfer your weight
  2. Core Muscles - Used mostly for the "powerful" type of wrist shot, important to turn your upper body towards the net and generate tourqe / more power
  3. Arms - At first you won't be able to shoot very hard because your muscles are not trained for explosive power. After shooting for a while your muscles are trained to get the stick moving FAST, that helps with your power
  4. Stick - The stick will flex and store potential energy, when it unflexes the energy is released onto the puck, giving you more power. Make sure you have the proper flex for your stick
  5. Wrists - The extra flick / roll that you do when releasing the puck helps add a little bit more power, and also helps with accuracy

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Blueland89

Also someone told me that your golf swing is a lot like your shot? when i play golf I have to turn the club towards the inside of my body before i swing or i will slice. I've been doing that in my wrist shot is that ok or am I losing power or is it possibley affecting my release in a negative way. It seem s to really help my accuracy

Old
08-13-2010, 06:06 PM
TheHMan

This video demonstrates the mechanics pretty well. Keep in mind though, there's somewhat of a snapshot thrown in there.

What you can see in some of those clips is that they have the puck drawn back and they cup it initially and pull it forward to get it moving. Then they'll open up the blade a little bit so it starts rolling down the blade, and they close it quickly and snap their wrists as they point to the target.

If you're still confused about the snapping the wrists part, you can look at this video where's it's broken down in detail. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCwFOR9P6Dg

The wrist snap is probably one of the most important components in virtually any type of shot. It gives the puck stability, added speed, accuracy, and it'll carry over longer distances.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 11:03 AM
trtaylor

Here are two videos that I have found helpful (in addition to all those posted above).

Great slow motion. Notice strong upper body rotation.

Great learning progression

Last edited by trtaylor: 08-15-2010 at 10:29 PM.
trtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 07:33 PM
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by trtaylor View Post
Here are two videos that I have found helpful (in addition to all those posted above).

Great slow motion. Notice strong upper body rotation.

Great learning progression
Fixed.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 07:45 PM
Chairman Maouth

vCash: 50
I think I tended to lean into mine a little more than some people here are suggesting, especially as I grew older and if I was skating down the wing at high speed. I also developed a good snap-shot that I eventually preferred over the wrist shot. I felt that it telegraphed what I was going to do less than a wrist shot.

I joined minor hockey when I was 6 years old. By that time I had been practicing my wrist shot for two years and I was the only player in my league who could raise the puck off the ice. 36 goals in 12 games as a six-year old.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 08:32 PM
trtaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
Fixed.
Thanks - what did I do wrong? I couldn't figure it out.

Edit: Found the proper instructions.

Last edited by trtaylor: 08-15-2010 at 10:29 PM.
trtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 03:25 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Here are a few tips that are very important, but few people will mention.

1) Remember that the bottom wrist pushes out and the top wrist snaps in. You must do these both at the same time for maximum power.

2) Bend your knees a lot! This might seem to make your shot rise more but the power is where you'll gain the most. Also, don't forget to transfer your weight. I can't shoot off powerfully my inside foot alone on the wrister, but find it easy on the snapshot.

3) Begin by briefly looking down at the puck as you start to get it on your heel. Then, look up at the target as you release!

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:39 PM
drivesrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
This is true! The reason for moving heel to toe (try it) you will see the the puck will turn or spin when it goes from heel to toe. This cause a gyro effect on the puck causing the puck to fly straight and flat.
Head coach
What is the best way to move the puck from heel to toe? I do it by pushing my bottom hand out, i get the shot off but I was told I am scooping the puck.

drivesrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:54 PM
r3cc0s

think about this..

when you throw a baseball, you break your wrist to generate more velocity and pull down with your fingers (index and middle for a fastball) to add the spin and essentially finish towards the direction you're throwing...

its kinda like that, but with a hockey stick..

you pull back, break your wrist while pulling the blade forward... then extending the toe at the end of the release to point the added momentum to the direction you intend, and meanwhile it rolls up your blade (& tape) that adds the spin...

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivesrf View Post
What is the best way to move the puck from heel to toe? I do it by pushing my bottom hand out, i get the shot off but I was told I am scooping the puck.
You can either literally pull the blade back across the puck or you can cup the puck, open up the blade during the shot, and close it at the release. I prefer that method as I use snap type wrist shots most of the time. My release is very quick and compact.

Old
01-26-2012, 08:26 AM
drivesrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
You can either literally pull the blade back across the puck or you can cup the puck, open up the blade during the shot, and close it at the release. I prefer that method as I use snap type wrist shots most of the time. My release is very quick and compact.
Thanks! I do what you do!

drivesrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:17 PM
damacumich

Wow that shooting in stride video with Matt Ellis has been the most helpful thing I've seen in this thread.

damacumich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah it was a huge help for me. I'm a much better scorer just watching that vid the last couple years.

Old
01-29-2012, 05:35 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!

vCash: 50
Im the other way around, I have a great wrist shot yet my snap shot is terrible.

Royal Canuck is online now   Reply With Quote