HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Trade proposal thread 6.0... what to do?

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2012, 11:01 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Trade proposal thread 6.0... what to do?

Other one is at 999...

Morrow a possibility?
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=386166

Not sure what his price tag would be but he is essentially a the same as Shane Doan except a few years younger.

Carter/Parise/Nash *Edit* could be out of the question

Ryan is unlikely but we still need another legitimate scoring threat.

Last edited by Gardner McKay: 01-26-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old
01-26-2012, 11:15 PM
satrabyk

vCash: 500
Why? we Have guys that play his role in Prust, Dubi and Cally and do it better why must we get an aging player to take up a roster spot. We also have Rupp for that, who i dont love but he seems to be sticking around.

Old
01-26-2012, 11:16 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Why is Carter out of the question?

Old
01-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Why is Carter out of the question?
You want him for another 10 years?

Old
01-26-2012, 11:26 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
You want him for another 10 years?
At that price? Sure. We could move him if we had to. He's cheap enough that he'd always be moveable.

Richards should have been moved to wing YEARS ago. Trade scraps for him. Move him to wing next to Richards. Enjoy 30 goal seasons.

Old
01-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
At that price? Sure. We could move him if we had to. He's cheap enough that he'd always be moveable.

Richards should have been moved to wing YEARS ago. Trade scraps for him. Move him to wing next to Richards. Enjoy 30 goal seasons.
Define scraps. Wolski + Bourque? Don't think that will cut it.

Old
01-26-2012, 11:55 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:

Im sure Columbus is waiting for a phone call from Sather offering some combo of Wolski, MZA, Thomas, etc.

Old
01-27-2012, 12:18 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

I feel like we could obtain Carter relatively easily as well. His cap hit is not bad at all. The amount of years is the problem, but at $5.4M I think he is indeed moveable. I don't think he's a Torts guy though. This is a tough call.

Old
01-27-2012, 12:18 AM
aemoreira1981

What about Tim Gleason of the Hurricanes to shore up the blue line, especially since it does not appear that Mike Sauer will be back anytime soon? He plays big minutes in Carolina and is their only defenseman who is plus.

For cap purposes, perhaps Wojtek Wolski could be sent, as the Hurricanes could use some scoring. If the price ends up involving Carl Hagelin, however, I would balk.

In this regard, Sheldon Souray would also work.

Last edited by aemoreira1981: 01-27-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old
01-27-2012, 12:24 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:

Doesn't his contract carry a NTC?

Old
01-27-2012, 12:25 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Why? we Have guys that play his role in Prust, Dubi and Cally and do it better why must we get an aging player to take up a roster spot. We also have Rupp for that, who i dont love but he seems to be sticking around.
ha Morrow is a better player than Dubi and Prust, but I don't see him on this team. I doubt you're gonna get Dallas to trade him to us for our late 1st + Wolski + prospect type of garbage package. He's a top 6 player but he's not the guy I'd want to get. He had ZERO chemistry playing with Richards in Dallas so there isn't even a chance it could be one of those "reuniting super powers" types of deals.

I think a cheaper vet would be Ryan Smyth. Selanne would be nice. another vet with a ring, but I think we'd have to have Callahan move to LW for that to work out unless Selanne can also play LW too. Either him + Gaborik or him + Richards ought to be lethal.

Old
01-27-2012, 12:27 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

If the price is too high on the more attractive options, snag Prospal.... Veteran experience, can play center if needed, previous chemistry/familiarity with Gaborik, should come at a very affordable cost....

Prospal - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Richards - Callahan
Hagelin - Anisimov - Fedotenko
Rupp - Boyle - Prust
Mitchell

Old
01-27-2012, 12:39 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:

You are aware that Carter has a full no trade clause, correct? Do you honestly think he would be willing to waive his No trade clause to leave New York after being stuck in Columbus for a year?

He loves the party lifestyle. Why would he ever agree to leave NY?

I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see him on the Rangers, I'm just saying it's a possibility we would be "stuck" with him.

Also, I do not see Columbus giving us any sort of discount. Or allowing us to trade "scraps" for him. Should Columbus do that, their GM is essentially agreeing to give up his job. If you trade Couturier + Voracek + 3rd for Carter and then turn around and deal him for substantially less within the year, you have admitted failure.

Old
01-27-2012, 01:25 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwaybro86 View Post
You are aware that Carter has a full no trade clause, correct? Do you honestly think he would be willing to waive his No trade clause to leave New York after being stuck in Columbus for a year?

He loves the party lifestyle. Why would he ever agree to leave NY?

I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see him on the Rangers, I'm just saying it's a possibility we would be "stuck" with him.

Also, I do not see Columbus giving us any sort of discount. Or allowing us to trade "scraps" for him. Should Columbus do that, their GM is essentially agreeing to give up his job. If you trade Couturier + Voracek + 3rd for Carter and then turn around and deal him for substantially less within the year, you have admitted failure.
Nice job, new guy. You're spot on. Trading for Carter is a high risk, average reward scenario. It's 35 goals, but also a lot of drawbacks in other areas. If you have to pay as much as it will take to get Carter (assuming Howson is the one to deal him), you should be getting a better player. Or, at least, willing to add a reasonable amount more to get one.

Old
01-27-2012, 01:26 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

We should target anyone that upgrades our roster, for the right price.

Sather hasn't deviated from his ultimate goal (besides winning a Cup). He's not going to gut this team or swing for the fence via one blockbuster trade. Deadline after deadline, Sather stands pat. He tweaks things, but nothing major.

He's been patient. He's smartened up. He's not going to overpay for a guy like Ryan, who I would love on this team. The entire league is probably trying to pry him out of Anaheim. The asking price will be too steep.

The cost has to be right. Not only that, but the terms have to make sense too. If Morrow didn't have that extra year, I think he's exactly the type of player you add during the deadline. Selanne would be a great fit too, but I can't see him waiving his clause to play in the east coast.

Sather will definitely make an addition, but I wouldn't expect it to be anything dramatic. He's got a winning team with what he has, and it's going to continue to improve as we continue drafting well, and promoting from within.

Old
01-27-2012, 01:33 AM
Dfence033

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the team that trades for Carter, under his contract, get the option to honor the no-trade clause? I know Columbus was given that option when they traded for him, but I'm not sure if that stipulation carries over to a new team. I do, however know that his full no-trade clause becomes a partial no-trade clause in 2014 (I believe). So all the talk about his NTC making him completely immovable if he fails in New York seems a bit premature. I, for one, would entertain the idea, at least to the point to see what it would cost. If it's out of the Rangers ballpark for what they'd want to give up for him, then move along, no harm done. But they should at least inquire about him. Carter is a very similar player to Bobby Ryan, whom many are willing to sell the farm for, under team control for longer at a very similar cap hit and salary, and would come substantially cheaper in terms of the package going back for the player. To NOT look is irresponsible.

He plays C/LW, two positions of need for the Rangers (more so the LW than the C), and has historically done both well. He has been consistently around 30+ goals every healthy season he has played and averages 35/year. He is a shoot-first guy with underrated defense. Rumors of his character seem to be greatly exaggerated. Honestly, it sounds a lot more like the Flyers GM got an excellent package offer for him (and Richards), that he couldn't reasonably turn down, knowing that they had the C/LW depth positions filled, and needed a reason to make himself NOT look like a monster after trading a guy who just gave him a huge home-town discount for a decade, just before his NTC kicked in. Sounds a lot more like their GM trying to save face than any real character issue with Carter. That team had a great top-4/5 (Hartnell/JVR, Giroux, Carter, Richards), but not great depth behind them. To me, that had a lot more to do with both being made available for the right price than anything else. Look at what they got back. Voracek and Simmonds, two good/great depth players that the Flyers desperately lacked, and two top prospects who were called NHL-ready to step in. He traded his position of strength to fill his weakness without taking too much of a hit, knowing he had JVR and Giroux ready to step up. (For the record, this is the exact position Anaheim finds themselves in, and I'd expect they'd want at least a similar package for Ryan, probably a little more, since it was publicly known he was available at one point.)

Sure, he is miserable in Columbus. Look at their team. Any player who ISN'T miserable in that situation isn't some one I'd want anywhere near this team. Any player who can simply accept losing is a loser, especially one who signed the deal he did to stay with a winner for his entire career only to be shipped out months later with no say on his part to a loser. Could he have been "more mature" about it? Certainly. Does it speak to some enormous character flaw that should have "buyer beware, stay away!" written all over it? Absolutely not. It's a MINOR concern (at best) that he wanted off a team that was very obviously going nowhere from the start; a team he had no desire to be on, and was traded to against his will after signing that deal? Inconsequential. And if THAT'S the reason Sather stays away from him if the price is low, then Sather should be removed from his position.

Last edited by Dfence033: 01-27-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old
01-27-2012, 01:36 AM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfence033 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the team that trades for Carter, under his contract, get the option to honor the no-trade clause? I know Columbus was given that option when they traded for him, but I'm not sure if that stipulation carries over to a new team. I do, however know that his full no-trade clause becomes a partial no-trade clause in 2014 (I believe). So all the talk about his NTC making him completely immovable if he fails in New York seems a bit premature.
If that's the case I would take Carter here. He'd be a lot more intriguing.

Old
01-27-2012, 01:37 AM
OverTheCap

Trading for Jeff Carter is the type of move that some Rangers fans would clamor for but the organization would never do it. It's similar to the notion of trading for Heatley's contract after Gaborik was signed... plenty of Rangers fans were advocating it but it wasn't feasible for the organization.

On another note, I was open to the possibility of trading for Prospal earlier in the season when he was tearing it up, but I am no longer interested in him. He has only 3 points in his last 15 games, with 0 points in his last 8 games. Pass, unless he miraculously finds a second wind.

Old
01-27-2012, 01:49 AM
racer90

seeing that there's now a rumor regarding corey perry, sather should try to work a deal to get him if the canucks are really trying to get him.

Old
01-27-2012, 01:53 AM
Dfence033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
If that's the case I would take Carter here. He'd be a lot more intriguing.
A little research has turned up that his full no-trade clause becomes a limited no-trade clause following the 2014-2015 season. I haven't been able to determine if the option to honor the clause was only held by the first team, or if it's any subsequent teams afterwards.

To add to my previous post about the situation in which the Flyers traded him, his cap hit was also needed to add Bryzgalov's salary, too. There are just too many situations that were circling the Flyers organization at the time to put much stock into the "locker-room cancer" claims that were originated by the Flyers faithful so that their franchise didn't look as much of a monster as it did after trading TWO players who had just signed life-time commitments to the club, regardless of the quality package they received.

Also, remember all the talk about Sergei and Andrei Kostitsyn being cancerous in Montreal? Sergei was traded to Nashville and has been the consummate professional there, and Andrei has had no more rumors of being a distraction, much the contrary. If in the unlikely event that Richards and Carter as a pair weren't good for the club, why could they not work magnificently with any other club, so long as they were apart? Suppose he befriends Ryan Callahan and Brandon Dubinsky on the Rangers. Do you think he turns them into party-animal/distractions? Or maybe they show him how the team is run and he buys in?

Old
01-27-2012, 02:00 AM
Dfence033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Bieber View Post
seeing that there's now a rumor regarding corey perry, sather should try to work a deal to get him if the canucks are really trying to get him.
There is NO way that rumor is true. Ballard + Raymond + Schneider? Wolski + Sauer + 1st is cheaper and better for the Ducks if that's indeed the package that they are considering.

Raymond is an under-performing top-6 RFA. Wolski is an under-performing top-6 RFA.

Ballard is a 29-year old, 4-6 D making $4.2 million per year until 2014-2015, and an UFA after. Sauer is a 24-year old, 3-4 D making $1.25 million per year until 2012-2013 and is an RFA after.

Schneider is a top goalie prospect who is an RFA at season's end, due a big raise, and the Ducks already have Hiller in net. Schneider's value is approximately a 1st round pick.

Raymond = Wolski
Ballard << Sauer
Schneider > 1st-round pick

If that's the cost for Corey Perry, then 29 other teams in the league can EASILY beat that value.

Old
01-27-2012, 05:21 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Bieber View Post
agreed.

Corey Perry is that nasty PF type that we could use.

He's got speed, he can shoot. He plays a very physical brand of hockey.

Would love Corey Perry on the Rangers.

Old
01-27-2012, 05:53 AM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
agreed.

Corey Perry is that nasty PF type that we could use.

He's got speed, he can shoot. He plays a very physical brand of hockey.

Would love Corey Perry on the Rangers.
Would love him as well, think he'd be a got fit on the team. But why would Ducks wanna trade him? If we don't overpay for him of course. But Sauer+Wolski+1st, that was mentioned in a previous post (as an underpayment) wouldn't even be close. Especially not when Sauer is not healthy.

Old
01-27-2012, 05:56 AM
beastly115

Don't see us getting Carter. Sather himself said our team, as constructed, has great chemistry. Carter isn't known to be a good locker room guy. That's all we need, is to bring in Carter who disrupts the locker room then be stuck with him for the next 10 years. No thanks.

Old
01-27-2012, 06:08 AM
Gabotrick

As much as I love Perry the only way we could really get him would be Like Thomas, Wolski, Anismov, Sauer and a 1st rounder maybe we might have to give a second rounder as well. But if Sather wants to make this trade I'm all for it. However we'd probably have to move Cally to left wing.

Closed Thread